Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The best Heist game is Yakuza

Cause Kiryu stole my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
when i first got l4d i put the cd case on the family bookshelf in the living room because i loved it so much

dad loved that mom hated it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Payday 2 isn't really a heist game unless your idea of a heist involves killing 50000 SWAT officers

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
well duh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Payday 2 isn't really a heist game unless your idea of a heist involves killing 50000 SWAT officers

But everybody loves Heat

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GTA5 was great fun, but that is definitely IN SPITE of its characters and writing. There wasn't a single character to connect to. Any character who was redeemable was bland-boring as poo poo, and any character that might have been interesting was an absolute irredeemable rear end in a top hat. ALL of them were written equally poorly, though. As usual the only things that land and end up being at all memorable are the side gags and unimportant bits, and even those are far between.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

But everybody loves Heat

I agree as someone who's watched Heat twice this last week and just finished the novelized sequel written last year. But the best part of Heat isn't the Bank Job, it's the hours of cat and mouse leading up to it, and the emotional rending that comes with Neil's inability to let go at the end.

Also they assaulted the ambush, but it was a hastely set up roadblock by beat cops. Not a well coordinated cordon by the elite divisions. The crew knew they had the police out gunned and out experienced, but their whole goal was to get clear not to kill every LAPD officer in the town. Payday just throws an ocean of dudes at you, instead of focusing on the retreat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mutata posted:

GTA5 was great fun, but that is definitely IN SPITE of its characters and writing. There wasn't a single character to connect to. Any character who was redeemable was bland-boring as poo poo, and any character that might have been interesting was an absolute irredeemable rear end in a top hat. ALL of them were written equally poorly, though. As usual the only things that land and end up being at all memorable are the side gags and unimportant bits, and even those are far between.

Lamar was cool, the nerd Fixer seemed alright too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Maybe not a heist game, but that still sounds like a good time. Killing police whether its in a game, or real life, is cool.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It would have been good if Michael's family was actually really cool, funny and genuinely liked him so him just imploding his own life to feel like a big man actually felt like a huge mistake instead of blessed relief.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Holy crap is Kena Bridge of Spirits a good and polished game. It's like a Zelda-lite but with serious combat challenge. It has a collectible map and ledger so you can mop up anything you've got missing without massive headaches, the art style is nice, it presents some scenes extremely well, and it's just fun and rewarding.

That said, the Platinum will drive you insane as the 2nd playthrough Master difficulty NG+ is probably the hardest thing I've attempted in my gaming life. Parry windows feel microscopic sometimes, bosses have extra evolutions and sidekicks, and it's straight up insane at times. I know it's possible if I sucked less and I strongly feel that any soulsborne will feel trivial after I finish this. Holy poo poo.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/294127738774880256/1082012925008560188/he_attac_he_protecc_he_also_ascend_to_space.mp4

gaming... is fun. this clip brought to u by "updog"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I played through and beat Chained Echoes which my friend bought me insisting I would love it.
He was right, I did. As a huge fan of the SNES era and its many amazing RPGs, this game was basically another Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger that got lost to time.
My only problem with it is I want to talk about it with more people but the game's Steam forums and Discord are full of dullards who can't hold an intelligent conversation about a game that has some rather subtle and complex storytelling.
How popular did the game get here on SA? As good as the game is, it's not exactly large or deep enough to warrant its own thread (w/o just being a circle jerk) so I wonder if this thread or some other one is where the discussion (if there was any) occurred.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

DaveKap posted:

So I played through and beat Chained Echoes which my friend bought me insisting I would love it.
He was right, I did. As a huge fan of the SNES era and its many amazing RPGs, this game was basically another Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger that got lost to time.
My only problem with it is I want to talk about it with more people but the game's Steam forums and Discord are full of dullards who can't hold an intelligent conversation about a game that has some rather subtle and complex storytelling.
How popular did the game get here on SA? As good as the game is, it's not exactly large or deep enough to warrant its own thread (w/o just being a circle jerk) so I wonder if this thread or some other one is where the discussion (if there was any) occurred.

The RPG thread had some off and on discussion about it, I think. A few hundred pages back though, likely enough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RX_DiVE/status/1632577994282926081?s=20

You can't just do something like X Dante and leave it in a mobile game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was sad that I bounced off Chained Echoes. Considering Chrono Trigger is one of my top three favorite video games of all time, I may have gone in with very unrealistic expectations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/RX_DiVE/status/1632577994282926081?s=20

You can't just do something like X Dante and leave it in a mobile game

GONNA DUST OFF MY JNCO'S AND CHAIN WALLET! MEGAMAN'S EXTREME NOW!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Veeg... is that you...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rarity posted:

Veeg... is that you...

I love that VG is known for being an extremely nice and chill dude, yet has developed a trope of hating video game dogs.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpeedyGoldenHamburger4Head-gXCvW3OzRps9nc3C

The monster

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rarity posted:

Veeg... is that you...

Nothing much, what's up with you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Infinitum posted:

GONNA DUST OFF MY JNCO'S AND CHAIN WALLET! MEGAMAN'S EXTREME NOW!

megaman x-treme came out in 2000

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm sure Wo Long is a great game if you can get past that first boss.

There's just something about the animation and the attacks that feel off to me idk

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

bone emulator posted:

There's just something about the animation and the attacks that feel off to me idk

Skill issue

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

honestly that first boss is the hardest fuckin thing in the game until the first lu bu fight, poo poo's rough as

but if I can do it just about anyone short of a geriatric can, I believe in you

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bone emulator posted:

it requires a lot more precision than, say, ER if you're aiming to use deflect, since the frame window for a deflect is much shorter than an ER dodge and requires that you be actively going into their hitbox to have the highest chance of the deflect counting

think of it more like super mario RPG timed button presses, that's what helped me out

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yo Valve, where Portal 3 at

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Still enjoying Wo Long but getting my rear end kicked in this second phase hard. The first phase too, but that one is weird. At first it took forever because I was like aha no stamina I can attack forever, and basically just stopped him from attacking and then dodging or deflecting the red ones. However, if the pattern is right you can deflect him and then get in the big stabs while he's briefly stance broken, and a few of those and it's right to the final phase. I've basically just surrendered my runs if I have to use potions on first phase since that means I lost the flow somewhere.

Second phase I don't know what the gently caress, I've gotten lucky deflects just by spamming it in a panic, even did it twice in one fight got him to like 1/3 HP almost. Seems apparent that's the way to win, but getting there and not having to spam my potions after getting wrecked on his big sloppy attacks, and getting lucky with deflect won't work. Wish you just started back at that phase so I could learn it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Second phase I don't know what the gently caress, I've gotten lucky deflects just by spamming it in a panic, even did it twice in one fight got him to like 1/3 HP almost. Seems apparent that's the way to win, but getting there and not having to spam my potions after getting wrecked on his big sloppy attacks, and getting lucky with deflect won't work. Wish you just started back at that phase so I could learn it

my personal recommendation for P2 is to try and stay at medium distance, as his two most dangerous attacks are up close and personal ones, and focus on trying to deflect his tentacle sweeps, his non-crit attack charge, and his crit attack with the claw. it's mostly an endurance match, since all you need to do is fill up the divine beast gauge (the white icon with the dragon on the right, just above your martial arts button) and then activate it to win the fight

if you get really, really stuck and just want to move on, you can grind out morale rank on the enemies outside of the arena. 25 morale will put you well above his own morale rank and let you just straight up outstat him for the most part, and you reclaim any lost morale rank (aside from whatever you lose to crit attacks) whenever you rechallenge a boss. it's not necessary if you enjoy the learning process, but just know that there's an eject button at the ready if you want it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Phase two you can just focus on deflecting critical attacks until your divine beast is ready, it ends instantly when you pop it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think the parry windows are pretty wide in Wo Long compared to dodging or parrying in Elden Ring, tbh. I feel like it's more that basically every enemy does the Morgott thing of having animations that are purposefully trying to make you flinch early or hit you unexpectedly lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think the parry windows are pretty wide in Wo Long compared to dodging or parrying in Elden Ring, tbh. I feel like it's more that basically every enemy does the Morgott thing of having animations that are purposefully trying to make you flinch early or hit you unexpectedly lol

there's a big centaur boss later on in the game who holds his swings like he's waiting for them to finish signing a form first, it's outrageous

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm now stuck on a side mission where you just have to fight 3 guys at the same time.

how am i actually supposed to deal with this

https://i.imgur.com/LVYHBmn.mp4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will wait for the SunhiLegend clip of that fight and just copy that

Edit:no wo Long yet but this was recently retweeted...

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1609240585293946884?t=VypKKoNqbVEm2UBovq8t0Q&s=19

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i spent over an hour on it, including spending all my money respecing to fire/earth, i've gotten down to the last guy like once or twice. here's what i've learned:

- you can't summon npcs or players into it, this is a straight up 1v3 and no getting around it
- you cannot use the invisibility spell to sneak behind them for a backstab, they see right through it
- one guy has dual swords and casts ice trap and blind cloud, which disables your lock on
- one guy has a spear and throws infinite fire pots that home
- the last guy is fat and shoots arrows, casts earth shield spells, has a charging attack, and probably does the most damage
- normal attacks will just get you killed, you have to just kite and deflect and wait for the red attacks and pray you can deflect them
- if you do get a knockdown pray that the other 2 guys will actually let you run in for the fatal strike
- the level 1 fire spell seems to be the most effective spell for actually interrupting them when they run at you, and can hit multiple targets
- every other spell i've tried loving sucks. they're too slow or just don't do anything
- weapon enchant spells are a trap because trying to attack them normally will just get you killed (see above) plus they last like 10 fuckin seconds
- the last guy is always the fat guy, he's the hardest to kill and has absolutely murdered me when i tried to 1v1 him like a regular dude. he's just gonna have to get kited like the other two
- it's 3 am and i'm going to loving bed. god i hate this poo poo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
First phase is now downgraded to straight up easy, sometimes I get out of rhythm or like, I should unequip my magic because I'll gently caress myself over thinking I'll pop steal vigor and regain my health instead of use potion... Then get whacked to death because I'm still trying to drink or off key now. Otherwise I can sometimes get through the first phase instantly if he does enough critical attacks in a row.

I'm getting better at phase 2, kind of same deal, if I stay on him I do well, but once I try to potion it's basically GG. Tomorrow I'm going to try and use no potions unless he's in the face-down recovery, since trying to heal is where I gently caress up most.

Knowing I just need to fill the thing is also helpful, the blind kid said something about it once but I was too focused trying to slash and deflect. Deflect-only sounds a lot easier.

Also good to know about the morale, I'm not frustrated to need to cheese it, but I just didn't really know what that system meant high or low. Seemed fine low so I ignored it lol.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm now stuck on a side mission where you just have to fight 3 guys at the same time.

Use the weapon change deflect (R1+circle) to get some extra damage in but uh in general I think it's like the hardest sub-mission in the game

Also remember that Zuo Ci can respec for you and you can save your phase attunements with equipment in the Battle Sets menu

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

what worked for me was finding which of the 3 guys was hanging back the most at the start and then absolutely bumrushing them into a corner until i could spirit disrupt them, and then i focused on my spacing to create enough distance between them that i could avoid/deflect their swings and then single out one to start beating on

this is also a decent mission to drop a point into earth for so you can get enhanced defense, as it'll give you hyper armor for their non-crit attacks and let you power through the multiple swings, assuming you've got heavy armor and your spirit defense is high enough

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it's like any of the Nioh multi guy fights you come back later with ridiculously overpowered equipment.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bone emulator posted:

I managed to complete the game this weekend and really enjoyed it a lot. Wo Long is massively difficult though I will give you that. Its been wild though to see the complaints. Stuff that no one cared about in similar games, are all of a sudden massive dealbreaking problems to people with regards to Wo Long. The steam forum is drowned out by people having a meltdown over not being able to play on keyboard, and running into tech issues while trying to play on windows 7, or just in general not meeting the requirements and then being bewildered when the game surprisingly doesn’t play well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

i will personally take a shotgun to any pcs still running windows 7