Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

teen witch posted:

Depending on where you’re at, I recommend you do give chatting about it IRL a shot, but you’d know if it’s safe for you to do so. Don’t let it eat up inside of you because that poo poo can fester, and you deserve better than that.

Thank you for your concern :)

Sure, I have, but I don't find it very rewarding, as I find most people aren't actually very interested in this war and don't have very interesting opinions on it. Also this war, horrible as it is, is not a current direct threat to the health and safety of me and my family, so I need my serious-time conversations with other people to be primarily about other things, which are.

Longcovid is real, and it loving sucks. :(

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1632676611760726017
Attrited to the point where you have to use ancient relics as your main battle tanks.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Futanari Damacy posted:

If we're to be successful with this, one thing that has to stop is the false equivalencies. They're a huge red flag for a number of reasons.

We are to infer from this statement that because the Russian army = Wehrmacht, that Putin = Hitler, Russia = Nazi Germany, and so forth ad nauseum. The purpose of using such equivalency is to get other people frothing at the mouth, because everyone correctly agrees that Nazis = poo poo. But all it does is trivialize the horrors of the Second World War. We've heard it every time America has an enemy- Saddam is worse than Hitler, Gaddafi is worse than Hitler, Maduro (lol) is worse than Hitler, and on and on and on. To those of us whom that war actually has meaning beyond video games, they are not the meaningful comparisons that the people blithely making them think they are.

If you want to know who the Nazis are, they will gladly tell you. Heck, they have a whole pantheon of symbols that they've stolen from various non-poo poo belief systems and permanently corrupted the meaning of. For those wanting to get a better sense of how to identify a real neo-Nazi, here's a good resource to get started: https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbols/search?f%5B0%5D=topic%3A1705

This post is already getting dunked on for the obvious thing but I don't want to let it get lost in the mix that the chain of quotes here was someone making an honest if clumsy post about how there should be sympathy for individual soldiers even on the Russian side while in the same post giving as an example of the same principle World War 2.

de_dust's point that Futanari Damacy quoted wasn't simply "Russia = Wehrmacht", it was a very specific callback to the myth of the clean Wehrmacht and how the post that started this unintentionally mirrored it when it removed the clear moral dimension from World War 2.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 6, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://mobile.twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1632282678195105792

oh my, another DIY MT-LB with naval gun mounts

https://mobile.twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1632079968237649922

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think the Wehrmacht discussion has run it's course

Feel-good content:

https://twitter.com/intermarium24/status/1632514412933263370?s=20

Another city that looks just completely obliterated

https://twitter.com/Igor_from_Kyiv_/status/1632660835301568513?s=20

zone
Dec 6, 2016

So they've already begun capturing some of these DIY technicals? That didn't take very long. The equipment situation for Russia must be more desperate than one would think.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Kadyrov is sick, alright. Sick in the head :grin:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

HonorableTB posted:

No, the Russian state apparatus has more or less always been on the paranoid side of things (getting repeatedly invaded by external forces for several hundred years will do that), but what you're seeing there didn't really start until the post-WW2 years as the USSR recovered from the trauma of losing 25-30 million people in the war. And from there on the Russian state never really fully recovered and the paranoia has ramped up quite a lot (to the extent you see in that article) with Putin. He has been remarkably consistent about his views on Ukraine dating back to at least 2008 (the most I can find with a cursory search), he has always viewed Ukraine the way he does now. One of the main drivers for Putin's beliefs here is a man named Alexander Dugin and his philosophy, I can do an effort post about Dugin later if anyone wants

If it's helpful, keep this in your mind: modern Russian governments (1991-onward), the closer you get to Putin's current reign, "enemies out to get us" pretty much means "anyone doing anything Russia doesn't like". They define "nazis" the same way - to Putin and his kind, "nazi" is just anyone not bowing to what the Kremlin wants, and they must be denazified.

poo poo's weird

There’s something going on here because I see the same kind of bad faith arguments from Latin American authoritarians (they’re always trying to attack us, we’re the victims, etc etc) and their cronies on Twitter. It’s like they learn it from somewhere, or maybe all narcissists react the same way and spread it

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

There’s something going on here because I see the same kind of bad faith arguments from Latin American authoritarians (they’re always trying to attack us, we’re the victims, etc etc) and their cronies on Twitter. It’s like they learn it from somewhere, or maybe all narcissists react the same way and spread it

Every dictatorship makes it about existential threats, imo, so it's less about picking stuff up from somewhere than it is the fact that it's just a convenient excuse in such cases.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Both the master race and the ultimate victim. Fash 101

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Umberto Eco posted:

7. To people who feel deprived of a clear social identity, Ur-Fascism says that their only privilege is the most common one, to be born in the same country. This is the origin of nationalism. Besides, the only ones who can provide an identity to the nation are its enemies. Thus at the root of the Ur-Fascist psychology there is the obsession with a plot, possibly an international one. The followers must feel besieged. The easiest way to solve the plot is the appeal to xenophobia. But the plot must also come from the inside: Jews are usually the best target because they have the advantage of being at the same time inside and outside. In the U.S., a prominent instance of the plot obsession is to be found in Pat Robertson’s The New World Order, but, as we have recently seen, there are many others.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

teen witch posted:

Both the master race and the ultimate victim. Fash 101

:hmmyes:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Estimated loss assessments for 6/3/2023. What a senseless waste of life and equipment.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I suspect that equipment was never going to be used sensibly anyway.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Karate Bastard posted:

I suspect that equipment was never going to be used sensibly anyway.

There is no sensible way to use 3,423 tanks so I think you're right

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Futanari Damacy posted:

If we're to be successful with this, one thing that has to stop is the false equivalencies. They're a huge red flag for a number of reasons.

We are to infer from this statement that because the Russian army = Wehrmacht, that Putin = Hitler, Russia = Nazi Germany, and so forth ad nauseum. The purpose of using such equivalency is to get other people frothing at the mouth, because everyone correctly agrees that Nazis = poo poo. But all it does is trivialize the horrors of the Second World War. We've heard it every time America has an enemy- Saddam is worse than Hitler, Gaddafi is worse than Hitler, Maduro (lol) is worse than Hitler, and on and on and on. To those of us whom that war actually has meaning beyond video games, they are not the meaningful comparisons that the people blithely making them think they are.

If you want to know who the Nazis are, they will gladly tell you. Heck, they have a whole pantheon of symbols that they've stolen from various non-poo poo belief systems and permanently corrupted the meaning of. For those wanting to get a better sense of how to identify a real neo-Nazi, here's a good resource to get started: https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbols/search?f%5B0%5D=topic%3A1705

Cool, thanks? Did I call the conscripts Nazis?

His interesting way of differing responsibility off of the Russian conscripts is the EXACT same sort of excuses made for those “poor” unfortunate Wehrmacht soldiers that found themselves dying for an aggressive and murderous regime.

Not all Wehrmacht soldiers were Nazis. But they were all complicit in the crimes of the regime. Ditto for those dumb vatniks today.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1632681935775453184
:laffo:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Toxic Mental posted:

In posting about war, there are no winners. Only losers.
Hey, HEY!

I was a loser long before this war.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
War bad

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Yes, invading your neighbor and outlining a plan to genocide them and destroy their cultural identity is bad. I'm glad we both agree.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Actually...
war is good

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’d be interested to know what arguments posters on that side of things actually have for the Wehrmacht comparison not being valid? I can’t actually work out what the argument there is and all I’ve seen so far is ‘so you’re saying these are exactly the same’ which isn’t really the case.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I’d be interested to know what arguments posters on that side of things actually have for the Wehrmacht comparison not being valid? I can’t actually work out what the argument there is and all I’ve seen so far is ‘so you’re saying these are exactly the same’ which isn’t really the case.

I think it's just talking about nazis all the time is lame. Not as lame as using it as an excuse for your genocidal war though lol

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

The thing that annoys me is that this war is good, for some decision makers in the Kremlin.

If it weren't somehow good for some decision makers in the Kremlin, then this war would very likely be over, very quickly, and some time time ago.

I have no good idea for how to make this war less good for decision makers in the Kremlin, other than what is being employed already, and while it may be working, it sure isn't quick.

It also needs to be made patently obvious to decision makers in the Kremlin that initiating wars like this will not be good for decision makers in the Kremlin, neither right now, nor at any point in the future either, and how do you do that?

Until this is done, there must be an arms race and a readiness for new idiotic opportunistic land grabs. I thought we were done with this poo poo.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

FirstnameLastname posted:

The closest example would be WWII - but did the people in Dresden and Tokyo deserve to be firebombed? Did the child soldiers drafted in the defense of Berlin 'have it coming' too?

You're right Russia should stop fire bombing civilians.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1632685977113116672?s=19

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Super Foul Egg posted:

Unfortunately, by making this such a drawn-out debacle there are now more disingenuous tourism posts than genuine ones, and little motivation to tackle them when everyone knows how much time and energy those involved have for whipping up a giant melodramatic shitfit on challenge.

For what it's worth the VFW thread seems to be immune to this kind of bait, and is not currently the bête noire of tedious goblins who are only here to generate Premium Content for the boys back at Goblin HQ, so good luck... but no thank you.

I pictured the chicken lawyer from Futurama saying this.

quote:

China and India , Latin America and Africa , the Islamic world and Southeast Asia - no one believes that the West leads the world order, much less sets the rules of the game. Russia has not only challenged the West, it has shown that the era of Western global domination can be considered completely and finally over. The new world will be built by all civilizations and centers of power, naturally, together with the West (united or not) - but not on its terms and not according to its rules.

Oh no... anything but that! :ohdear:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Karma Comedian posted:

"ackchyually ukraine used those schools to hide several battalions of western trained troops, check out Incel Slava Z for more information that the west is trying to bury"

zone fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 6, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

HonorableTB posted:

If it's helpful, keep this in your mind: modern Russian governments (1991-onward), the closer you get to Putin's current reign, "enemies out to get us" pretty much means "anyone doing anything Russia doesn't like". They define "nazis" the same way - to Putin and his kind, "nazi" is just anyone not bowing to what the Kremlin wants, and they must be denazified.

I posted this in the VFW thread earlier, but it's pertinent here, so:

https://www.fontanka.ru/2023/03/02/72101819/

Last year, a bill was signed into law in Russia which makes it illegal to "discredit" members of volunteer units fighting for Russia. One of the bill's co-authors, Andrey Kartapolov (State Duma deputy chairman, chairman of the defense committee), was interviewed and asked about the prominent neo-nazis fighting for Russia. Here's a pertinent bit courtesy of Google Translate.

quote:

- Let me give you one example. God bless her, with Wagner PMC. Since 2014, a certain organization that calls itself "Rusich" has been fighting in the Donbass. In its purest form, fans of the Nazis, there are photographs where they zigue [sieg heil - my edit] against the background of the swastika, they have swastika tattoos. But now they are fighting on the side of Russia. Is the story about these people discrediting?

— I would recommend talking about these people with caution. To avoid conflict with yourself.

- I do not and cannot have an internal conflict when I talk about people who support fascism / Nazism. My history does not allow me any conflict.

- You can’t take it and just like that unsubstantiatedly declare that these people support the Nazis. We have no reason for this.

- How is it not? There are a lot of interviews where their founder Alexei Milchakov directly says that he is a Nazi, there are photos where they zigue, there are photos of their swastika tattoos. What more proof is needed?

- I think that they have already removed the tattoos and no longer zigue.

- That is, even here [in sympathy for Nazism] there is a right to make mistakes and perhaps correct?

- If they perform tasks as part of a grouping of Russian troops, then they have already corrected themselves.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Super Foul Egg posted:

Unfortunately, by making this such a drawn-out debacle there are now more disingenuous tourism posts than genuine ones, and little motivation to tackle them when everyone knows how much time and energy those involved have for whipping up a giant melodramatic shitfit on challenge.

For what it's worth the VFW thread seems to be immune to this kind of bait, and is not currently the bête noire of tedious goblins who are only here to generate Premium Content for the boys back at Goblin HQ, so good luck... but no thank you.
Posters here are expended in pointless attacks and wasted in useless defense, acting as ablative armor for other more valuable threads.

Thank you all for service. Here is block of fish.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1632635703673647104
It appears Shoigu was spotted making a visit to occupied Mariupol. I wonder why?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Futanari Damacy posted:

Oh no... anything but that! :ohdear:

Good job quoting the one bit that sounds vaguely OK out of context from the article that tries to Blood & Soil Ukraine but did so in such a triumphant tone two days into the war just as the poo poo hit the fan wrt how hard fought it would be that they pulled it. “The resolution of the Ukraine question.” is the name of the article. lol

quote:

“Russia is restoring its historic unity: the tragedy of 1991, that terrible catastrophe of our history, that unnatural aberration, has been overcome.”

This is from the same article, the assumption being that the article would be published once the strikes against Kiev decapitated the government and the whole country collapsed. lol, yeah, great article.

quote:

But there will now no longer be a Ukraine which is anti-Russia.”

Hmm not too sure about this one, tovarich.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 6, 2023

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

fine

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 6, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is literally posting about posting.

Don't do this here please.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I just hope both sides have fun

edit: on topic - Russia should go home so everyone can stop dying over there.

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 6, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The leash on this thread has to be pretty short for obvious reasons. I don't think there's anyone itt openly lusting for the unequivocal death of all Russians. If you think there is, please first report the post, or message an IK, or send me an email ( KarmaComedianSA@gmail.com ) if you don't have platinum and don't want to give this website any more money instead of posting about it in the thread proper.

Content!

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1632722039684431872?t=ycbYkw6fkriOvaxOY8-KfQ&s=19

Machine translation works pretty well. Here's the gist:

quote:

The members of the Stavka considered the situation in Bakhmut in particular detail. Evaluating the progress of the defense operation, the President asked questions to the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Valery Zaluzhny and the commander of the Khortytsia operational-strategic group of troops Oleksandr Syrskyi regarding further actions in the Bakhmut direction. They spoke in favor of continuing the defensive operation and further strengthening our positions in Bakhmut.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Karma Comedian posted:

Speaking of which, it's been almost a year since russia shot cluster munitions at refugees at the Kramatorsk train station. Killing 58 of them, mostly women and children.

https://twitter.com/albafella1/status/1632399447228309504

You might not have forgotten the bloodsoaked stroller.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Zeleensky and high ranking officers had an Entmoot

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

zone posted:

Attrited to the point where you have to use ancient relics as your main battle tanks.

Man warhammer 40k is so cool

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Strategic Tea posted:

Man warhammer 40k is so cool
Question, where did you get Warhammer out of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zone posted:

Question, where did you get Warhammer out of this?

Russia is having to negotiate with the Machine Spirits to bring back vintage tanks due to wiping out the stock of their new ones.

Also they had to put Putin on the Golden Chair to keep the mobnik warp open.