Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paladinus posted:

Not a great decanter, is it? How do you even clean it?

steinrokkan posted:

If it's legitimate dirt, the glass has a way to clean it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Paladinus posted:

Not a great decanter, is it? How do you even clean it?

FreudianSlippers posted:

With a bent coat hanger.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

No. I didn't click the link. I can't handle that amount of blatant stupidity unless it involves a nut shot.

in rgds to a fox news link

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Zero One posted:

Woah, we're half way there
Woah,

[quote="ekuNNN" post="530221722"]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Re: eating various critters

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

A dude ate a slug and died so I wouldn't do that if I were you

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
No gamergate debate in the quotes thread, please and thank you.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Re: eating various critters

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Ralp decided to drop a Gamergate thread on us in D&D when I was a mod and it made absolutely no goddamn sense. To quote... I wanna say Shine? "Girls have cooties and they infected Megaman!"

The only good Gamergate thread was the one in GBS where people got probed for posting about other topics than Gamergates.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tjadeth posted:

yeah but I think it depends on if you're moving toward or away from compulsory heterosexuality. usually the unexamined life turns out gayer than expected

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

zenintrude posted:

I mean… do any of these really compare to the greatest story ever told?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Jesus Kawaiist

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Libra posted:

I kind of want one of those rotating magnetic platforms for my first aid kit.

"Just like video games" I would gasp as I crawl towards the spinning medkit, my mood brightened despite my various gruesome injuries.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hempuli posted:

Not a comic but maybe cartoon-adjacent enough to post: I've had this pun in my brain for the better part of a year and finally painted a funny image about it:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's art. Beautiful work.

In other news Stupid sexy Flanders has been hitting it out of the park lately

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hah! Nice hat, idiot.

For a clown to wear.

To space.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Karate Bastard posted:

Why does the bull appear to have a remora of some kind?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Beachcomber posted:

Why does the bull appear to have a remora of some kind?
Well, look at how pale the fur on that bull looks compared to other bulls you've seen in these situations.

That's the bull-leech.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Karate Bastard posted:

Looks more like the bull is the one hitting it out of the park.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:roboluv: Random act of kindness :roboluv:

andis311 posted:

this kid i work with paid for me to use this gay forum. yes windows 7 was my loving idea BITCH!!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

A really interesting post and a joke two-fer.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'll try to keep this all in one post, because while it's cool, it's really off-topic.

Vox's food derails: butter orgy comic edition

First a tiny bit of background. Margarine is a butter substitute invented in France in the 1870s. Originally derived primarily from beef tallow, margarine is now mostly made from vegetable oils. It's one of the earliest, biggest victories of food science manufacturing. Incredibly cheap to produce, modern margarine has no negative health effects (so long as it doesn't use trans fats), and has pretty much always been healthier than butter. Margarine can also be kosher (though I don't really know anything about that area- something to do with mixing meat and dairy?).

When margarine came to the states in the 1870s, it was viewed as a huge threat to the dairy industry. Dairy producers were right to be afraid; margarine was available much cheaper than butter, and in a void, likely would have largely cornered the market. The dairy industry took an all-out approach to manipulating public opinion of margarine - and bear in mind that the information ecosystem of the time makes today look positively healthy. State legislatures were bribed to ban margarine. Scientific reports were falsified to show that margarine caused...basically every serious negative health effect. Rumors were spread about the margarine manufacturing process involving dead cats, rubber, and other unsavory
substances. The federal government put massive taxes on margarine. Public figures gave live, barn-burning speeches about the threat of margarine to the American Way of Life. At every level, Americans were targets of a tide of misinformation about what they ate.

Here are some choice quotes from this NatGeo article:

Governor Lucius Hubbard of Minnesota bemoaned the fact that “the ingenuity of depraved human genius has culminated in the production of oleomargarine and its kindred abominations.” Senator Joseph Quarles of Wisconsin (the Dairy State) thundered that butter should come from the dairy, not the slaughterhouse. “I want butter that has the natural aroma of life and health. I decline to accept as a substitute caul fat, matured under the chill of death, blended with vegetable oils and flavored by chemical tricks.

Another legislative maneuver by Big Butter was coloration. Butter is normally a very pale yellow; it's dyed to look the way it does. Margarine looks even paler, but it's difficult to tell the difference, especially if it's also dyed yellow. Butter manufacturers came up with a great response: get state legislatures to require that it be dyed unappealing colors, like pink (which was used to imply there was blood in it- anti-margarine messaging tried to tie margarine to blood, death and decay). Some 30-odd states required pink margarine, and left the laws on the books when the Supreme Court overturned them in 1898.

Margarine was aggressively depicted as simultaneously, artificial, unnatural, unhealthy, foreign, unamerican, unpatriotic, and (in particular) a cheap product used by the lower classes. Even before the great depression, financial turbulence and class inequality meant butter was effectively a luxury good subject to shortages, and like any luxury good, organized crime became involved in controlling the supply. They would also manufacture fraudulent butter, sometimes by dying margarine (people do genuinely have trouble telling the difference). That's where that comic comes from! People were drowning in these messages, even in comic books.

Fake butter was the source of another big, big change in how food was regulated in the US. See, the dyes used in butter? The fake butter? Yeah, that stuff wasn't exactly harmless. At the time adulterants used to change food color and texture weren't regulated, and companies (and criminals) had a strong incentive to just use whatever made something look good on the shelf. This was an issue in many areas, with butter (and "butter") being a prominent one. A lot of people were getting sick or dying because the "margarine war", alongside other trade conflicts and the endless tide of harmful "patent medicines" and other quack remedies. In response, in 1906, Congress passed the Pure Food and Drug Act, which led to the creation of the FDA! :toot: The FDA regulated food, drugs, and other product categories. In particular, they set purity requirements for food (there's now an upper limit on how much rat poop can be in your flour) and require that all food ingredients be listed and certified by the government to be "Generally Recognized As Safe" (GRAS). That means no more sawdust in your oatmeal :yum:. I am, to put it mildly, an FDA fan.

Something to emphasize about all of this is that the harmful, undesirable, unclean nature of the "artificial, chemical" margarine wasn't just something that the average American assumed. Messages about how bad it was were absolutely everywhere, like the air people breathed. People just...bought into it, and it became a part of culture. It may seem ironic now with our purple artificial berry flavor cheese spread, but margarine was an alien, foreign thing that people didn't grok- a weird artificial creation that was surely, surely harmful. You'd read somewhere it was bad, your friends thought it was bad...why doubt it?

This hasn't changed. Right now, trade groups, companies and lobbyists are still putting out wave after wave of bullshit chemophobic beliefs about food. The Center for Science in the Public Interest, who do great work in other areas, are militantly opposed to the existence of food dyes. The FDA is chronically underfunded and its regulatory power has been limited by industrial interests. Rumors and (industry-funded) studies about non-caloric sweeteners and corn syrup and salt abound. There is now a massive marketing drive for "clean", "natural", "honest" food with "fewer, easy-to-read" ingredients (that cost more to produce and decay faster, but can be priced much higher). Green labels and cert marks and health claims are everywhere. "Organic" means everything and nothing.

Industry does this because it works, and it works on us. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt is a thing people actually purchase. Soylent exists. The Food Babe is real, and she has made more money than you ever will. Large numbers of people believe sugar is an addictive toxin, and that carbohydrates are the root of all cancer.

We are not materially smarter than the people of the 1870s. While the media may have changed, the quality of information isn't much better- and there's a hell of a lot more of it. We're still targets, and the tide continues to rise.

A couple sources I used to fortify and color my knowledge for this post:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/margarine-used-to-be-pink-and-more-colorful-tales-from-the-food-dye-industry
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/people-and-culture/food/the-plate/2014/08/13/the-butter-wars-when-margarine-was-pink/
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/harp/0807.html
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/1870s-dairy-lobby-turned-margarine-pink-so-people-would-buy-butter-180963328/

PS: I don't know whether or not there was an antisemitic element to the crossover between kosher margarine use and the use of blood imagery in anti-margarine messaging. While I wouldn't put it past the people involved, I don't know that kosher formulations of margarine were in use at the time.

PPS: about 1110 words. Right on target.

Infinitum posted:

Why do you know so much about butter?

Samuringa posted:

you would not believe it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you want to read a good book on how food safety in the US started, the creation of the FDA, and everything else in that effortpost, I highly recommend the Poison Squad by Deborah Blum.

e: there's a documentary version too https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/poison-squad/

Arivia has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Mar 6, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

strong bird posted:

anyone who posts gbs-flavored posts in this thread from this point forward is getting a 6 hour stay in the smackdown hotel

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

this is the first time i've ever seen someone threadban themselves

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arivia posted:

If you want to read a good book on how food safety in the US started, the creation of the FDA, and everything else in that effortpost, I highly recommend the Poison Squad by Deborah Blum.

e: there's a documentary version too https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/poison-squad/
Seconded. It's an absolute page-turner. Along those lines, Barbara J. Martin's Elixir: The American Tragedy of a Deadly Drug talks about a disastrous medication that wound up causing the first predecessor of the FDA to be passed. Tl;dr: Just because you can dissolve a medication in diethylene glycol, doesn't mean you should. "DEG is poisonous to humans and other mammals, but Harold Watkins, the company's chief pharmacist and chemist, was not aware of this. " The book, again, is gripping as a detective story, and as a tragedy.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It's been updated with an additional punchline

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

this is the first time i've ever seen someone threadban themselves

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

some plague rats posted:

It's been updated with an additional punchline
Their skin must be thinner than your avatar's

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Marcade posted:

A really interesting post and a joke two-fer.

Good post and a good :lmao:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh, that brought back a childhood memory of the Donald Duck comics I'd read as a kid. Whenever the story required him to have a pre-established day job, he worked as a packer at a margarine plant, which was obviously the lowest job a person can have. Wild that that is where it came from.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh, that brought back a childhood memory of the Donald Duck comics I'd read as a kid. Whenever the story required him to have a pre-established day job, he worked as a packer at a margarine plant, which was obviously the lowest job a person can have. Wild that that is where it came from.

He never worked in a margarine factory in the American-made comics.

e: Of course most Donald Duck comics weren't made in America anyway.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I actually was just googling that because I definitely remember it being in at least one Carl Barks story; turns out it in the original English he was a skunk oil delivery boy, which was localized in Scandinavia as an equally demeaning margarine plant job that then became the standard in locally produced comics. It might be a Scandinavia-only canon, which only raises further questions!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Between various comics and various translations I'm sure Donald has worked pretty much every demeaning job that they could get away with mentioning in comic books. Especially counting everything Scrooge has him do.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sounds like a sweet gig actually.

No I'm not done Scrooge, not yet, you have soooooooo much money Scrooge, sooooooooo much money, really really a lot of effort counting aaalllllll that money uncle Bezos I mean Scrooge

Where do I sign up?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Can't imagine it pays well

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
He won't miss a bucket or five, if he didn't count it in the first place

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Donald gently caress!!!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

He won't miss a bucket or five, if he didn't count it in the first place

Have you literally never ever read a story with Scrooge in it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah it's a major plot point in an episode that Scrooge is aware of literally 87 cents missing from his money bin.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
durrrrrrrr why would he make me count the cents if he already knows how many cents he has, that would just be demeaning busywork for the sake of it, does that sound like something like a genius billionaire would do out of spite lol :rolleyes:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Donald's default demeaning money bin job is polishing the cents, read a book.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

*taps begins playing*

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
one of the biggest 'oh gently caress' moments came when I realized that the reason scrooge swims in his money bin is because that is his liquid assests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nah it's just a fetish thing