Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Whatever criticism you might have about how Randy writes the other characters, he's got a real good handle on Wimpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

TBQH, we’ve entered book 3 of 3 here (with the establishment of Lulu Yeah) and things continue to slip into a more and more narrative and less and less gag-oriented space as we go on.

Wait, does that mean it's going to end soon? If so, does the guy behind this have any other stuff that might be worth translating to eventually take its place?

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Double The Creeps

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I wasn’t real hot on The Creeps when it got posted years back, but I totally get it now.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jesus, lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Green Eyed Monster

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Junk Drawer

Home Free

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Yeah, I agree. You're right, a warm father-son relationship feels like a rare thing.

Incidentally, good timing, today's modern comic is all about Val and Arn's relationship.

Prince Valiant

“Ride together, and get out of my hair!”

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

I double checked the old strips, but the third panel is still very confusing. Big Santeri said earlier that he would squeeze Into, if he doesn't doesn't show a way to make the horse move, but apparently that's now some sort of universal immunity clause.

Nancy

Dustin

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

e: because I just couldn't let a questionable idea go.

:lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I love that she's eating Chocolate Sympathy ice cream. This is an ice cream company who knows their target demographic.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/10-12/50

Archie 9/16-18/46

So the Philomathians go in for white robes and Iron Crosses? Watch out, Archie.

(A bit of searching turns up Philomathean Clubs at various colleges and high schools, especially UPenn -- they seem to be academic/community service clubs.)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Zereth posted:

3 of 3? Wait, is it finished? It's set as Ongoing on mangadex.

Just because I forgot to update the about page when book 3 released and announced its finished-ness. :doh:

We do have a good 100 pages to go, though, so the ride's not over yet.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I dunno

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

(X:n) ympäripyöräily = cycling trip/race around (X)
ympäri = around
pyöräily = cycling/biking
pyörä = bicycle/bike
pyöreä = round
ympäripyöreä = vague/circumspect, literally "round all around"
ympäripyöräily = verbed, then re-nouned version of the above, something like "a circumspectry" or "a circumspecting" (the grammatically correct verbing-the-nouning of "ympäripyöreä" would be "ympäripyöreily" or "ympäripyöröily" imo, but then the bicycling reference wouldn't work and none of these verbed-then-nouned versions are actual existing terms anyway so the slight stretch isn't too much of an issue)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Not a 100% flawless performance but look at it this way: no one died.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 5, 2023

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for March 3, 1927! This week's cover is from John Held Jr.

Ellison Hoover hits the gridiron:

Art Helfant (topped by a stray one-liner that was too good to throw away):

Don Herold:

Russell Patterson:

A double-dip of Carl Anderson:

And a touch of protest art from Fred G Cooper:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

[x] I am in this picture and I don't like it

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
An extremely good batch of Ballard street

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

At Least They Didn't Develop Kinks

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Little by little, the horrifying reality of their existence begins to sink in.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Esplanade posted:

Little by little, the horrifying reality of their existence begins to sink in.

It's been seventy years... why can't I die? :corsair:

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 02, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

keep posting this in the giantbomb thread

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Just wanna say that's a good Kirb right there.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat April 30, 1026 A 22 panel behemoth

Note for this comic:

quote:

The dedicatory inscription in panels 21 and 22 to Mrs. Helen Dirks is meant for the wife of the cartoonist Rudolf Dirks, creator if The Captain and the Kids, who received the original.

The Captain and the Kids is better known as The Katzenjammer Kids. I have no idea why the book insisted on using the less well known name.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Garbi

Rhymes with Orange

Brenda Starr 7/13-15/50

Smokey Stover 4/26/53

Everyday Movies 3/9/36

"I'll just let the cold air in here, to remind him of what it's like on the street, in case he don't pay his back rent."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/9-11/41

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 05, 1956)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Huh. Learn something new every day. I'd assumed the U.S. Draft would have started after Pearl Harbor, but it started in September 1940, with one-year initial terms.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Hippocrass posted:

The Captain and the Kids is better known as The Katzenjammer Kids. I have no idea why the book insisted on using the less well known name.

"The Captain and the Kids" was a separate comic strip by Rudolf Dirks featuring the same characters from the "Katzenjammer Kids" that ran concurrently for decades. This is because Dirks got into a heated legal battle with the Hearst newspapers over "Katzenjammer" when he left the strip.

In the end, Dirks was allowed to create an identical strip with the same characters for another syndicate, on the condition that it features a different name, thus "The Captain and the Kids".

The two strip competed against each other until 1979, when "The Captain and the Kids" ended. "Katzenjammer" ran for few more decades.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mister Beeg posted:

"The Captain and the Kids" was a separate comic strip by Rudolf Dirks featuring the same characters from the "Katzenjammer Kids" that ran concurrently for decades. This is because Dirks got into a heated legal battle with the Hearst newspapers over "Katzenjammer" when he left the strip.

In the end, Dirks was allowed to create an identical strip with the same characters for another syndicate, on the condition that it features a different name, thus "The Captain and the Kids".

The two strip competed against each other until 1979, when "The Captain and the Kids" ended. "Katzenjammer" ran for few more decades.

Was there any similarity left in the 70s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Washington Post interviewed Scott Adams (gift link) who contends he was only trying to be a little racist:

quote:

Adams tells The Post that his remarks that day were intended to be hyperbole, while also contending that he was responding to a larger sociopolitical narrative. He does not apologize for what he said in the episode — viewed more than 360,000 times — though he asserts that he disavows racism. Meanwhile, on a follow-up “Real Coffee” podcast, he called both White people and the press “hate groups.”

He also says he's launching "Dilbert Reborn" on his subscription site, which....I don't want to know what Dilbert Minus Editor looks like.