Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Laterite posted:

climate scientists: everyone should be concerned

everyone:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

things dont stay super reflective and clean very long outside

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

pbs also opening newshour tonight with new un high seas treaty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI04_jMBt0A

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

things dont stay super reflective and clean very long outside

even if the effectiveness drops by 50% during a couple of years it still seems like a good addition, and the paint can always be reapplied

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dunno what you're worried about. the rain has so much ptfe in it, it'll make the dirt just slide off

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/GalopaWXY/status/1631821104300818434?t=Vul6euVK9Qj9f2thrMG9GA&s=19

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

we've done it everyone :toot: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/04/everyone-should-be-concerned-antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-lowest-levels-ever-recorded

we've abolished ICE, hell yeah. congrats everyone for this hard fought battle
all you environmentalist types have been telling us to stop using ICE's and now you're mad?! isn't this what you wanted?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

reminds me that some whales live for a really long time, at least 100 years, possibly 300. no one's really sure. they found a harpoon from the 19th century stuck in a beached southern right whale relatively recently.

there are absolutely whales alive today who remember the open-slather whaling of 50-100+ years ago.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mola Yam posted:

there are absolutely whales alive today who remember the open-slather whaling of 50-100+ years ago.
and also some peace and quiet :(

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

thanks for the latest crack ping, it's always healthy to get a new one every now and then

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
the longest living elephant was 89. The average lifespan of an elephant is around 60 - 70 years.

There are many elephants alive that remember chillin with hundreds. :smith:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FlapYoJacks posted:

the longest living elephant was 89. The average lifespan of an elephant is around 60 - 70 years.

There are many elephants alive that remember chillin with hundreds. :smith:

https://twitter.com/walruswhisperer/status/1622736532627914752

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
are there even any hippos, giraffes, rhinos, and elephants left? seems like they should have been wiped out by now considering we've razed all natural lands and climate change makes it untenable to exist as a large-mass animal

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Humans are a blight on the earth and deserve to be eradicated.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

she’s be so far gone that they couldn’t even rewild her i’m guessing?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

its true

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

We've really hosed everything up, huh

ELTON JOHN posted:

we were given something unbelievably beautiful and we completely wrecked it

This mindset is a huge part of the problem to be honest. It's a bit difficult to put my finger on it, but essentially, I take issue with the framing of everything in terms of "we" and the implied claim of self-importance (self in the sense of species-self) that accompanies that claim that we were "given" this world. No friend, we weren't. We just came into it by sheer stroke of luck (or misfortune, from the opposing perspective), via a long series of freak mutations in our evolutionary ancestors. Then we took it by force, by first slowly and then at unbelievable speed exterminating other species for our own consumption and benefit.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

This mindset is a huge part of the problem to be honest. It's a bit difficult to put my finger on it, but essentially, I take issue with the framing of everything in terms of "we" and the implied claim of self-importance (self in the sense of species-self) that accompanies that claim that we were "given" this world. No friend, we weren't. We just came into it by sheer stroke of luck (or misfortune, from the opposing perspective), via a long series of freak mutations in our evolutionary ancestors. Then we took it by force, by first slowly and then at unbelievable speed exterminating other species for our own consumption and benefit.

agreed, there are plenty of people who did nothing wrong. probably most people in fact.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Edit edit: liberate marineland's aged orca

kyojin has issued a correction as of 08:55 on Mar 6, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah we're dumb as poo poo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Additionally, "we", in the sense of the participants here, barely did a thing. Humanity as a whole has a lot to answer for, but if there was any justice we would punish the fuckers that have hosed up the most in answer.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

toggle posted:

she’s be so far gone that they couldn’t even rewild her i’m guessing?
Maybe it's not that bad yet, but eventually her tank will contain better quality water than the ocean will ever have again

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

FlapYoJacks posted:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Xaris posted:

are there even any hippos, giraffes, rhinos, and elephants left? seems like they should have been wiped out by now considering we've razed all natural lands and climate change makes it untenable to exist as a large-mass animal

the northern white rhino went extinct in 2018

we're also doing our best to wipe the other subspecies out too

Hippo populations have declined 20% over recent years and have just hit levels of concern

Giraffes are doing a bit better as their overall populations are increasing again, however they don't have the luxury exposed bones so they tend to get left alone a bit more

AceClown has issued a correction as of 10:56 on Mar 6, 2023

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

FFT posted:

Maybe it's not that bad yet, but eventually her tank will contain better quality water than the ocean will ever have again

what an awful reality we’ve given these animals

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AceClown posted:

the northern white rhino went extinct in 2018

we're also doing our best to wipe the other subspecies out too

Hippo populations have declined 20% over recent years and have just hit levels of concern

Giraffes are doing a bit better as their overall populations are increasing again, however they don't have the luxury exposed bones so they tend to get left alone a bit more

also pablo escobar's cocaine hippos are doing great because it turns out introducing a highly aggressive large mammal with no natural predators to a new continent works out astonishingly well for that animal

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

quote:

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

also pablo escobar's cocaine hippos are doing great because it turns out introducing a highly aggressive large mammal with no natural predators to a new continent works out astonishingly well for that animal
I know how we can save the polar bears :hmmyes:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Ah yes, the discovery of the Americas

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

Pablo Escobar’s Hippos are doing great!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Koirhor posted:

Invasive species are just animals that haven't become endemic yet

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/guardianeco/status/1632736902209044480

faster!

quote:

More than 1,000 “super-emitter” sites gushed the potent greenhouse gas methane into the global atmosphere in 2022

faster!

quote:

Separate data also reveals 55 “methane bombs” around the world – fossil fuel extraction sites where gas leaks alone from future production would release levels of methane equivalent to 30 years of all US greenhouse gas emissions.

More than half of these fields are already in production, including the three biggest methane bombs, which are all in North America.

FASTER!!

quote:

The biggest event was a leak of 427 tonnes an hour in August, near Turkmenistan’s Caspian coast and a major pipeline. That single leak was equivalent to the rate of emissions from 67m cars, or the hourly national emissions of France.

the mental whiplash you get from reading the sheer level of doom we’re at vs the mandatory copium sprinkled throughout is really something, I highly recommend it

quote:

An emissions cut of 45% by 2030, which the UN says is possible, would prevent 0.3C of temperature rise.
:laffo:

TACD has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Mar 6, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Note: minimum leak rate is one tonne an hour. Leak rates for some events cannot be calculated and have been assigned a location only. Natural sources not shown

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

TACD posted:

faster!

faster!

FASTER!!

Made the mistake of catching up on this thread this morning. poo poo seems bad! Good thing I have an appointment later this week where I can get my meds adjusted because it sure doesn’t look like there’s anything else to do about it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Koirhor posted:

[Biosphere] Pablo Escobar’s Cocaine Hippos are doing great!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Koirhor posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1632078489745489928

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

can't believe they announced the sequel while the film is still at the cinema

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
70 hippos of cocaine seems like a lot idk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001