Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
My elderly neighbor fell down yesterday and was apparently yelling for help, but living in suburbia, nobody heard it for a while, or nobody cares about yelling. Everything here echos in such a weird way I don't know where the sound is coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

My elderly neighbor fell down yesterday and was apparently yelling for help, but living in suburbia, nobody heard it for a while, or nobody cares about yelling. Everything here echos in such a weird way I don't know where the sound is coming from.

i am protected :grin:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the amount of people I see that hold their phones against their steering wheels so they can continue being on the phone while driving unnerves me

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the amount of people I see that hold their phones against their steering wheels so they can continue being on the phone while driving unnerves me

Driving is a miserable, boring chore and people know it, even if they pretend that they enjoy driving. People will subject themselves and others to possible bodily harm or death so they can get to their destination 15 seconds earlier, or watch some neat cat videos to alleviate the boredom.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Would you prefer if we held it up in the air instead of braced against something we can kind of steer with?

Nothing wrong with knee steering it's just not as efficient as elbow steering

And driving is so boring the options are often either drive distracted or drive drowsy/snoozing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
eyes on the road, busters. no excuses.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
somebody's gonna come in here and start with some "no ethical driving under capitalism" bullshit and I won't have it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

somebody's gonna come in here and start with some "no ethical driving under capitalism" bullshit and I won't have it

Too late

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

eyes on the road, busters. no excuses.

I'm on a train

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

BonHair posted:

I'm on a train

then you're not driving, ding dong!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

then you're not driving, ding dong!

We have a winner! It's me, I'm the winner for not driving

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have to run errands today, using my car.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

more like drive errands

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

lobster shirt posted:

good

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cant really agree brother

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Good opportunity to get your door dinged in the parking lot

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Driving is a miserable, boring chore and people know it, even if they pretend that they enjoy driving.

yup

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BonHair posted:

I'm on a train

and, I'm going fast, and
I have a railroad themed pashmina afghan

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i loaded my car up with 20 dinosaurs and drove to work today so I don’t have to ride with smelly poors! cars ftw

vroom vroom 🏎️

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ontario to consider more sites for new 2+1 highway system

quote:

The Ontario government will consider additional locations to implement a new 2+1 highway system following the conclusion of the current pilot project, the Ministry of Transportation confirmed Thursday.

The pilot project, to be constructed on Highway 11 north of North Bay, Ont., was announced Thursday and, when built, will be the first of its kind in North America. The project includes a proposed new three-lane highway featuring a centre passing lane that changes direction about every two to five kilometres.

Lmao they're gonna try this on the 401 and it's going to kill so many drivers.

We have a street kind of like this in Toronto already, not a highway but sort of a main artery; Jarvis Street has lights running up the middle lane that indicate when it's a northbound or southbound lane. I'd like to see crash statistics around it, because literally the only time I got into that lane on the motorcycle, I saw someone driving directly towards me in it.

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Mar 6, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol drivers are not trained nearly well enough to have a shared passing lane with access changing every so often, thats going to kill so many people in head on high speed collisions. not a good idea!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lobster shirt posted:

lol drivers are not trained nearly well enough to have a shared passing lane with access changing every so often, thats going to kill so many people in head on high speed collisions. not a good idea!
broke: Canada MAID
woke: Canada bi-directional shared fast lane

honestly, good for Canada. it’s brilliant

I’m very pro whatever it is they’re doing because more room for cars = good!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Bi-Directional Death Lane has been cleared and is re-opened for this afternoon's Euthanizations

Apr 7, 2003

Canada seems to be even more carbrained than the US

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

lobster shirt posted:

we can’t even zipper merge correctly and roundabouts mystify people

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think canada being seen as our level-headed neighbors who know better allows them to do some real sicko poo poo under the name of liberal "progressivism" on occasion. MAID as a 'solution' to poverty and a bi-directional middle lane that will work perfectly so long as every driver is paying attention to road signs and not looking at their phones both seem like good examples of that lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

to borrow from an old canada thread title: mandatory annihilation if driving

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

sonatinas posted:

we can’t even zipper merge correctly and roundabouts mystify people

zipper merge is one of those things that's maddening once you know how it's supposed to work. you just know the dude who invented that spent the rest of his life trying to tell people "no, don't. you're not actually helping anything by switching lanes early, you're making it worse!"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

merging assistance in dying

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
all roads should end with a cliff and brakes should be outlawed

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mister Speaker posted:

Ontario to consider more sites for new 2+1 highway system

Lmao they're gonna try this on the 401 and it's going to kill so many drivers.

We have a street kind of like this in Toronto already, not a highway but sort of a main artery; Jarvis Street has lights running up the middle lane that indicate when it's a northbound or southbound lane. I'd like to see crash statistics around it, because literally the only time I got into that lane on the motorcycle, I saw someone driving directly towards me in it.

Here in Sweden 2+1 roads have been infrastructure cancer for rural cycling, since they're strictly car only and usually replace the routes with the most generous shoulders.

Vision Zero [cyclists]

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

On the highway the other day a car passed me that was so full of balloons I couldn't see through any of the windows.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

On the highway the other day a car passed me that was so full of balloons I couldn't see through any of the windows.

Lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I passed a guy on the highway who was doing his clown makeup once. I was driving back to college from Thanksgiving break and my roommate was with me or else I would have thought I was going insane.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Canada seems to be even more carbrained than the US

There are 153 km of toll roads in the whole country, afaik. Everything else is free, free freeeee.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe there were clowns behind the balloons.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Xaris posted:

i loaded my car up with 20 dinosaurs and drove to work today so I don’t have to ride with smelly poors! cars ftw

vroom vroom 🏎️

This makes me wonder how many decaying T-Rex's = a barrel of oil.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

nomad2020 posted:

This makes me wonder how many decaying T-Rex's = a barrel of oil.

I like to think at least 100. if stupid t-rexes didn’t want to get combusted up in my v8 to gottagofast then they shouldn’t have died to a stupid meteorite like a noob in counter strike

Apr 7, 2003

It's very dark to think about how our entire modern economic era is underpinned by liquefied corpses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
one day sentient squids that take over in 100mil years, long after anthropocene is gone, and will drill up my putrefying goony dick in an offshore rig and put it into their squidmobiles to commute 3 hrs to work and the circle of life will complete