Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1632712147452014592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Keynesian martini makers.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

My parents are doctors in Turkey (which actually has excellent healthcare) and when they visited Cuba five years ago and toured some of their "state of the art" medical facilities, what they saw left them aghast. They basically said that Cuban healthcare is about thirty to forty years behind the rest of the world, and having well-trained doctors (most of whom actually receive their training outside Cuba) is their only saving grace.

most cuban doctors actually receive training in Cuba dont where you making that poo poo up , as for the other part despite that Cuban doctors are still extremely highly regarded even by their enemies your post comes off as typical dumbass posting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hello doom

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Cubans invented a lung cancer vaccine.

The reality is that education and research are much cheaper when there's no profit margin. Seriously, knowledge is loving free. You don't have to mine it or refine it or even really transport it. It's an infinitely renewable resource!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Now, gloves as anesthesia otoh....

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol even the chuds in Miami highly regard Cuban doctors this guy is an imbecile but thats par the course for that creep

the chud gimmick is that the doctors are slaves

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slow News Day posted:

My parents are doctors in Turkey (which actually has excellent healthcare) and when they visited Cuba five years ago and toured some of their "state of the art" medical facilities, what they saw left them aghast. They basically said that Cuban healthcare is about thirty to forty years behind the rest of the world, and having well-trained doctors (most of whom actually receive their training outside Cuba) is their only saving grace.

Their cars are also from the same era because of sanctions. Cuba made the fatal mistake of existing in our hemisphere.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"oh so doctors shouldn't be able to charge how much they want for their labor? we should be able to just make them work like slaves?"

yes, someone smart realized this same thing a long time ago, that's why we make them all take an oath to promise to help people when they need it lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"oh so you should just have allegiance to something larger than yourself?? you should place the needs of your fellow man ahead of your desire to make a profit??"

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"oh so doctors shouldn't be able to charge how much they want for their labor? we should be able to just make them work like slaves?"

yes, someone smart realized this same thing a long time ago, that's why we make them all take an oath to promise to help people when they need it lol

they get paid as well but naturally not 10 million dongs a year

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HallelujahLee posted:

most cuban doctors actually receive training in Cuba dont where you making that poo poo up , as for the other part despite that Cuban doctors are still extremely highly regarded even by their enemies your post comes off as typical dumbass posting.

you see i are a very smart poster who can't understand the proper context

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Palladium posted:

you see i are a very smart poster who can't understand the proper context

if you actually believe he was praising them sure

(most of whom actually receive their training outside Cuba) is their only saving grace.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A whole bunch of old people died over the last three years in the US and that is why houses are more expensive than ever

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A whole bunch of old people died over the last three years in the US and that is why houses are more expensive than ever

i think you will find these people are still alive and it was all a hoax

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

thank you gradenko

i’m not entirely sure what point they’re trying to make there? the journalist didn’t like his drink being made by four people? should fire three of them and just leave one haggard person running everywhere like in the west?

haven't you seen the hoards of people working at grocery stores making sure they are run efficiently and kept neat and tidy?

restaurants having dedicated people whose job is only to put cheese on the burgers?

haven't you gone into one of americas many subways and been helped by a kindly old man pointing you towards the nearest car?

its these luxuries you so stingily cling to that are causing the bad number to go up

Apr 7, 2003

Microplastics posted:

When has that ever not been the case

There was a blip there when the specter of communism was floating around and the incredibly wealthy let the peons have a little comfort too

They successfully consigned all of that to the dustbin in the early 1990s, so we can expect to revert to the 1850s London norm (where half the working class was functionally homeless and just slept where they could) within our lifetime.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Mar 6, 2023

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

haven't you gone into one of americas many subways and been helped by a kindly old man pointing you towards the nearest car?

yeah last week they have that guy sometimes at rush hour in the touristy stops

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There was a blip there when the specter of communism was floating around and the incredibly wealthy let the peons have a little comfort too

They successfully consigned all of that to the dustbin in the early 1990s, so we can expect the working class to revert to the 1850s London norm (where half the working class was functionally homeless and just slept where they could) within our lifetime.

on the plus side we might get to see the guillotine make a comeback

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cool av posted:

yeah last week they have that guy sometimes at rush hour in the touristy stops

nyc or dc? I can't imagine septa caring that much. they painted a bell on the independence hall stop what more do you want?

Apr 7, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

on the plus side we might get to see the guillotine make a comeback

The people in charge and the actual wealthy helicopter to secluded compounds at the end of the day. You have to actually be able to lay your hands on people to give them a French haircut.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

liberals used the guillotine to kills communists so yeah it will probably be back

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Feels like Twitter is about to fail catastrophically at some point within the next couple months. It's taking upwards of 15 seconds to load a new page on that website.

In any case,

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1632450946729930757

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've got mixed feelings about a TikTok ban. On the one hand it's the most effective psi-op China has ever launched against capitalism. On the other hand the format sucks so much that getting rid of it would be a net good for the world.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

social media is a plague on the other hand the tik-tok thing is purely to stroke more racist anti-chinese sentiment

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

I've got mixed feelings about a TikTok ban. On the one hand it's the most effective psi-op China has ever launched against capitalism. On the other hand the format sucks so much that getting rid of it would be a net good for the world.

you'll just get a terrible western replacement

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i have no idea what that means but im gonna just assume its good for number.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

you'll just get a terrible western replacement

ban all social media.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Radirot posted:

That's my biggest problem with reading c-spam. The people deeply entrenched in a topic just assume everyone has the same level of knowledge they do.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That's my biggest problem with reading c-spam. The people deeply entrenched in a topic just assume everyone has the same level of knowledge they do.

I know that I don't know everything, that's why I :justpost:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Radirot posted:

It means institutional money is rapidly vacating short-term financial instruments (typically bonds, here it's the interest rate on the dollar) because they anticipate disaster in the near term. Interest rates and yields go up when people sell, they go down when people buy.

This is why people talk about the "inverted yield curve" so much -- it's when near-term bonds (6 month, 1 year, 2 year) provide a better yield than long-term (5 year, 10 year). This is because financial institutions view these as the risk not outweighing the reward.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Car debt is piling up as more Americans owe thousands more than vehicles are worth

quote:

Chris Martin knew he needed a bigger car as the birth of his fourth child approached, but he and his wife were already $14,000 underwater on their two vehicles.

So the couple proposed an unusual two-for-one deal with an Atlanta-area auto dealer in 2020: trading in both of their vehicles so they could afford a three-row Ford Explorer. Their total loan after factoring in negative equity, a service contract, fees and other costs ballooned to $66,000 on the $49,000 Explorer.

Despite a lot of progress on the debt, he feels uneasy. “I don’t want to be paying interest on cars that I don’t even have anymore,” said Martin, a 36-year-old data engineer.

The build-up in negative equity — or the amount that debt exceeds a vehicle’s value — is rattling consumers and raising alarms within the industry. Though it’s not unusual for drivers to carry negative equity, some dealers say more people are arriving at their lots up to $10,000 underwater, or “upside down,” on their trade-ins. They’re buying at still-sky-high prices and rolling debt from one car to another and even onto a third. Loans are commonly stretching to seven years.

“As trade-in values begin to cool, each month more and more consumers will find themselves falling from positive to negative equity,” said Ivan Drury, director of insights at auto-market researcher Edmunds. “Unless American car shoppers break their habit of buying again too soon, we’ll see the negative equity tide continue to rise.”

Even if the U.S. economy avoids a recession this year, consumers will likely struggle to make payments on their auto loans, especially with the Federal Reserve planning to keep raising interest rates. The average new-car interest rate rose to 6.9% in January from 4.3% a year earlier, according to Edmunds.

In January, severely delinquent auto loans hit their highest rate since 2006, based on Cox Automotive data.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Radirot posted:

LIBOR indicates how expensive it is for banks to borrow money from each-other (lowest rates you can get). Bonds and poo poo used to be based off this, but banks were loving around to make a profit.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

having no idea what you're talking about has never stopped anyone. don't let it stop you

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Serf
May 5, 2011

fourth child lmao. wear a loving condom

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
im pro-the govt should give care packages/housing/deductions for having and caring for children.

Apr 7, 2003

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

im pro-the govt should give care packages/housing/deductions for having and caring for children.

It's pretty clear eugenicists are in control of our dumb and hosed up government and the point of view seems to be "if you're too poor to have kids, you don't deserve to have kids"

the purpose of a system is what it does

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Please ask questions :tipshat: We love answering questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

It means institutional money is rapidly vacating short-term financial instruments (typically bonds, here it's the interest rate on the dollar) because they anticipate disaster in the near term. Interest rates and yields go up when people sell, they go down when people buy.

This is why people talk about the "inverted yield curve" so much -- it's when near-term bonds (6 month, 1 year, 2 year) provide a better yield than long-term (5 year, 10 year). This is because financial institutions view these as the risk not outweighing the reward.

uh, thanks. *nods head* so it bad.