Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

:biotruths:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

Gonna call him PoochPooch instead.

"PoochPooch was defenestrated on the way back to his home oblast."

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I wonder if she bought any companies for $22B and rat hosed it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lord Awkward posted:

"PoochPooch was defenestrated on the way back to his home oblast."

Ah good, the new Chainsaw Man arc where Putin merges with Pochita.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia's 155th Brigade is refusing to carry out orders to capture Vuhledar.

Kyiv Independent posted:

As the atrociously bloody battle for Bakhmut continues and attention focuses on whether Ukraine can hold on to the city, a little further to the south in the east of the country, another potentially far-reaching drama is unfolding.

According to Ukrainian authorities, commanders of Russia’s 155th Naval Infantry Brigade of the Pacific Fleet are now refusing to carry out the Kremlin’s orders.

What is the 155th Brigade?

The 155th Brigade is a Russian marine infantry brigade that was formed in 2009 based in Vladivostok. On paper at least, it was viewed as an elite unit that saw action in the Russian campaign in support of the dictator Bashar al-Assad in Syria and was a leading formation during the Kremlin’s original full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

So, what happened?

Ukrainian forces have nearly wiped out the brigade; several times. A Ukrainian journalist wrote on Facebook on 13 March 2022: “Units of the 155th separate marine brigade have been almost completely destroyed by the Ukrainian Armed Forces. It has been reported that as a result of poor decisions by brigade commanders, about 600 soldiers have been killed and as many injured. At the same time, the remaining personnel currently have no access to food and housing.”

Things didn’t get any better for the 155th Brigade as the war dragged on. In November, after continued heavy fighting in the Donetsk region, Russian servicemen wrote an open letter to Vladimir Putin in which they said they had lost 300 men in just four days of fighting. They blamed the military high command for the losses and requested an independent commission to investigate what was going wrong.

How is the brigade still functioning?

According to the Institute for the Study of War (ISW), the 155th Brigade has been reconstituted as much as seven times since the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion. A once elite unit is now made up almost entirely of poorly equipped conscripts. The ISW adds: “The combat effectiveness of this committed formation is likely negligible.”

What is it currently doing?

The 155th Brigade is part of the Russian assault on the eastern Ukrainian town of Vuhledar where it continues to suffer heavy losses. Social media is littered with videos reportedly showing the unit’s tanks and infantry fighting vehicles being destroyed by Ukrainian forces.

What’s the current situation around Vuhledar?

It has been reported that Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has instructed his commanders to take Vuhledar at any cost which, for the 155th Brigade, would likely mean yet another incredibly costly offensive, with huge loss if life for little consequence.

The end result is an apparent mutiny in the works. A statement from a Ukrainian military spokesman said: "The leaders of the brigade and senior officers are refusing to proceed with a new senseless attack as demanded by their unskilled commanders - to storm well-defended Ukrainian positions with little protection or preparation".

Military analyst Oleg Zhdanov has reported that two "Cossack" Russian units, known as “Steppe and Tiger”, had also refused to participate on the new offensive on the hilltop town.

According to the ISW: “Russian forces are highly unlikely to be able to conduct any concentrated offensive effort with the current demoralized and degraded forces in the Vuhledar area.”

What’s going to happen next?

That’s unclear but the British Military analyst, Justin Crump, said: "Repeating the same thing time after time and hoping for a different outcome is a sign of madness.

It is his view and that of other Western analysts, as well as irate Russian military bloggers, that any further attempts by the 155th Brigade to take Vuhledar would be “ simply suicidal”.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/13859

Perhaps this is why its a bad idea to conduct unsupported human wave attacks :blyat:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Tai posted:

Don't engage

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

hemale in pain posted:

I think it's just talking about nazis all the time is lame. Not as lame as using it as an excuse for your genocidal war though lol

Yeah I wonder who framed this entire thing before it even started as a war against Nazis and of denazification.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
War is bad

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

Russia's 155th Brigade is refusing to carry out orders to capture Vuhledar.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/13859

Perhaps this is why its a bad idea to conduct unsupported human wave attacks :blyat:

They were supported. It's just that the support is now mostly smoldering wreckage in minefields because of poor tactics and recon or destroyed by counterbattery fire.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

War is bad

Genocide is worse. Some things are worth fighting about.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

They were supported. It's just that the support is now mostly smoldering wreckage in minefields because of poor tactics and recon or destroyed by counterbattery fire.

so, unsupported :buddy:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KirbyKhan posted:

War is bad

Then why'd Putin start one? Let us know so we can truly enjoy your insightful trollposting!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Warcrimes as usual.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1632741691030470656

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Brave bastard. His name is going to get remembered.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

I'm sure they got plenty of moral support. Those sausages and half-hearted, hastily thrown together USO shows in mud fields had to count for something, right?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm sure they got plenty of moral support. Those sausages and half-hearted, hastily thrown together USO shows in mud fields had to count for something, right?

fish brick's in the pochta

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Did Twitter embeds just break?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Catpain Slack posted:

Did Twitter embeds just break?

Twitter did

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Twitter died in the war. Still bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1632774531650576385
Yuriy Butusov on the defense of Bakhmut and the current situation; seems like some kind of rear guard action is going on. I hope they leave the city in time though, because a mistake here would be very costly.

e: because embeds are broken

quote:

Everyone who fights in the city in unfavorable conditions hopes that the time of this heroic resistance is used to create reliable, well-equipped and camouflaged defense lines to cover Siversk, Chasiv Yar, Kostyantynivka, Druzhkivka, Sloviansk, Kramatorsk, the lines to which these combat-capable troops will be withdrawn in time. These will be reliably entrenched to be able to defeat the enemy.

Ukrainian soldiers demonstrate high combat capability. And where there is effective management, intelligence, organization, support, at least some ammunition for artillery and mortars, the Russians are being defeated there. We have an advantage due to higher quality, more motivated and more resilient people. But war is a clash of two systems, and everything depends not only on soldiers."

zone fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 6, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You may want to get in the practice of screenshotting tweets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally I love war

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nessus posted:

Twitter embeds are broken, the tweet's still there. But i'll screenshot it in a moment.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Nessus posted:

too late :rip:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Russias a poo poo hole country imo

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1632774531650576385
Yuriy Butusov on the defense of Bakhmut and the current situation; seems like some kind of rear guard action is going on. I hope they leave the city in time though, because a mistake here would be very costly.

e: because embeds are broken

quote:

Update on Bakhmut from the Ukrainian correspondent Yuriy Butusov (https://t.me/ButusovPlus/2335):

"The situation in Bakhmut

Ukrainian forces hold most of the city, including the center. Although some of our units were withdrawn from the city, this is more a matter of rotation and not a general order to withdraw. A significant number of our troops are still fighting here. There are people and equipment.

The enemy captured the eastern part of the city, up to the Bakhmutka River. The main attack of the Russians is not in the city, but from the north, bypassing the city. The battle is over the supply path that remains. This path is under enemy fire. The enemy is encouraging our troops to withdraw from Bakhmut, as a real threat of encirclement has been created. But the enemy is advancing slowly, and that is why the Ukrainian command is sure that there are still opportunities to hold the escape routes for a while, slowing down the pace of advance and inflicting even more losses on the Russians.

Holding the city for us in conditions of limited communication is not profitable now from the point of view of tactics. This is a matter of strategy - the Ukrainian command will hold the city until the last moment, as always. Unlike Kherson, Balaklia, Izyum, Lyman, and Kupyansk, which the Russians fled from, the Ukrainians are not leaving the city without long resistance.

The enemy is forced to pay dearly, and slowly moves from woodline to woodline, from house to house.

Everyone who fights in the city in unfavorable conditions hopes that the time of this heroic resistance is used to create reliable, well-equipped and camouflaged defense lines to cover Siversk, Chasiv Yar, Kostyantynivka, Druzhkivka, Sloviansk, Kramatorsk, the lines to which these combat-capable troops will be withdrawn in time. These will be reliably entrenched to be able to defeat the enemy.

Ukrainian soldiers demonstrate high combat capability. And where there is effective management, intelligence, organization, support, at least some ammunition for artillery and mortars, the Russians are being defeated there. We have an advantage due to higher quality, more motivated and more resilient people. But war is a clash of two systems, and everything depends not only on soldiers."

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, you added that image exactly in time for it to be in my quote, but not visible when I pushed the button.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

KirbyKhan posted:

Twitter died in the war. Still bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

love you man but don't post here lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Computer viking posted:

Ha, you added that image exactly in time for it to be in my quote, but not visible when I pushed the button.

's all good. I wish twitter would stop breaking embeds as often as it does, though.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Putin is so angry about the doubling of the challsnger 2 deliveries he threatening to drop a bomb (poo poo) on london (in his pants) yet again.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Everyone talks about how Russia has taken extreme losses trying to capture Bakhmut but nobody ever clarifies what qualifies as extreme. Do we have any actual idea numbers wise as to what they've thrown at it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Fargle posted:

Everyone talks about how Russia has taken extreme losses trying to capture Bakhmut but nobody ever clarifies what qualifies as extreme. Do we have any actual idea numbers wise as to what they've thrown at it?

Given that Russia has largely been just throwing men into the slaughter, and has very little gains to show for it....its reasonable to assume a fair amount have been killed.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Captain Fargle posted:

Ukrainan machine gun teams were literally having to dig a foot of brass casings out of their trenches to avoid their heads being exposed after the human wave attacks if that puts things in perspective.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My good friends, for the second time in our history, a British Prime Minister has returned from Germany bringing peace with honor. I believe it is peace for our time... Go home and get a nice quiet sleep.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think probably it'd be reasonable to say "since the seige on Bakhmut started in earnest, what % of their total losses have come in that time" or something. So if it's like 30%,? If you lose 30% of your invading forces to capture one single city? That's pretty rough. Expand that over the rest of Ukraine and it's not a great situation for anyone.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Captain Fargle posted:

They're eating a casualty ratio of 7:1 against the Ukrainians, and the Ukrainians say they have lost between 10,000-20,000 troops killed at Bakhmut. Extrapolate out from there

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain Fargle posted:

Ukraine was claiming 10-20000 Russians killed or wounded as of mid-January.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

I think probably it'd be reasonable to say "since the seige on Bakhmut started in earnest, what % of their total losses have come in that time" or something. So if it's like 30%,? If you lose 30% of your invading forces to capture one single city? That's pretty rough. Expand that over the rest of Ukraine and it's not a great situation for anyone.

Wagner alone, a month ago, was reported to have suffered a total of 40,000 MIA/KIA/AWOL/too badly wounded to be fit for further service, according to intelligence agencies. And those numbers were mentioned shortly after Soledar fell. Between that and what happened/is happening now in Bakhmut with both the Russian regular army and what's left of Wagner (and whatever recruits were picked up in the interim, given that Wagner are no longer allowed to recruit prisoners) I can't imagine they have a whole lot left to add. The Russian regular army formations in the attack there on both towns also took correspondingly heavy losses, but those weren't specifically mentioned.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Bakhmut also is extremely fortified and has extensive tunnels iirc and has been designed this way for years. It's easily possible that no cities west of Bakhmut have the same quantity of fortifications and it's not great that they're abandoning it

It's also probably not great for the russians that it took them 7 months to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Thank you for the clarifications.

They are extremely sobering.