Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The gossip in r/victoria3 is that the battleship in the trailer hints at a dlc for the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

PDX website says

Presumably the expansions are Victoria, Hearts of Iron, Europa and Crusader Kings
Colossal Order makes Cities Skylines, don't they? One of the expansions will be that, just another lackluster directly into the bucket. Unless it's Skylines 2 already.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A new Cities game would be dope

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I'd love a new Skylines. I get that traffic management is gonna be a major part of any city simulator but the way Skylines does it just isn't very fun to interact with.

Finally got around to finishing a campaign in Vicky 3 and it was pretty fun. Did Mexico. Results of the Mexican-American war were something I've almost never seen in a GSG before. Lost nearly every stand-up fight on the front, but consistently bled the Americans for every inch until their home front collapsed and they had to surrender despite being pretty deep into my territory. Things got weird after that. The US Civil War is a conflict between the United Syndicates of America and a massive African revolt in the south. Tsarist Russia owned Arkansas for some reason and I teamed up with Haiti to help them free some separatists in Colombia who wanted to join them.

Good poo poo.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

An ~insider~ leak (but extremely likely to be right I think) of todays new game announcements, which start in a bit over an hour.

quote:

Paradox Interactive is set to reveal a number of new games during its Paradox Announcement Show on Monday, including the long-awaited Cities: Skylines 2.

Insider Gaming has learned the three new games set to be revealed during the show are Cities: Skylines 2, Life By You, and The Lamplighters League.

Cities: Skylines 2 is being built exclusively as a “next-gen experience”. The game will feature more open-ended gameplay and "fully-realized transport and economy systems".

The Lamplighters League comes from the team behind Battletech and will feature similar turn-based tactical combat. The game is about a group of scholars tasked with stopping a cult from taking over the world.

Life By You is a life simulator game from Paradox Tectonic.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Huh, so the Paradox Tectonic life simulator is finally getting a formal announcement. Seems like that one has been cooking for 4+ years now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’ve never played the Sims, but I’m willing to be sold on it. The other two are almost certainly day-one slam the buy button though.

Hopefully 1 or 2 are this year.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The rumors we've heard from it is that it is more like The Sims + Kerbal Space Program, which is a really odd mix that I don't know what would look like.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
A The Sims competitor is a thing I'm very interested in but also fairly skeptical about.

Anno
May 10, 2017

That would definitely make me more excited but yeah I don’t understand how that crossover works lol

More details/screenshots on the HBS game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anno posted:

That would definitely make me more excited but yeah I don’t understand how that crossover works lol

That does not hook me at all. It looks like another generic tile-based tactical game and I guess I was hoping for more from HBS?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Idk, there’s not exactly a lot of story-heavy tactical combat games out there. And the aesthetic is pretty distinct I think.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That does not hook me at all. It looks like another generic tile-based tactical game and I guess I was hoping for more from HBS?

I think it looks neat, but it's too early to say if the tactical gameplay will be fun. The infiltration and global metagame focus remind me of Invisible Inc, but with deeper and more viable combat. The Shadowrun games had really simple combat engines. It looks like they're pulling some stuff from Battletech with evasion pips based on movement.

I'll make a thread for it after it actually gets announced if no one else has.

Edit: Thread

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 6, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah the essence of this sort of game is that its impossible to know if its actually any good until you sit down with it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167750/The_Lamplighters_League

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Anno posted:

Seems interesting.

I love the combat in Battletech, I think is one the best tactical turn based systems out there. Though I never finished the game because everything outside the tactical combat is kinda uninspired and gets really boring after a while (and the combat itself gets repetitive, but that mostly for because of the lack of variety in maps and mission goals)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I figured it out - I'm being old and cantankerous... I'm tired of the "good guys saving the world from a hidden enemy" trope.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well I've started the showcase and what I can report back is

{"errors":[{"message":"Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information","code":467}]}

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Well I've started the showcase and what I can report back is

{"errors":[{"message":"Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information","code":467}]}

I think that's just Twitter.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I know that was the joke

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I figured it out - I'm being old and cantankerous... I'm tired of the "good guys saving the world from a hidden enemy" trope.

Yeah that's fair honestly. There were some pretty dark themes in the Shadowrun games but this looks a bit cornball so far. As long as it doesn't rain quips and the characters aren't mugging to the camera all the time I wouldn't mind a lighter take on the Weird Edwardian thing though.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, Twitter is making GBS threads itself this morning.

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noM0fV4pyQY

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Skylines: the sims, it's real!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
....More EU4 DLC...?

shas
Jul 27, 2011

only the dead have seen the end of EU IV

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also, this is a really awful presentation

The MC is horribly cringe inducing, and the presenters are only talking about the most surface level bits of what they're showing (did you know EU4 has mission trees that branch now?)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah so far they could have just done a trailer drop with a press release top lines page for each game.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Lum_ posted:

Also, this is a really awful presentation

The MC is horribly cringe inducing

I always used to complain about this with Paradox stuff but I'm kind of used to it now.

You have to just play a game of balancing your desire to turn it off because it's so painful to watch vs your desire to know about upcoming stuff.

Doesn't look like a V3 expansion, just a trailer for the 1.2 update. So not clear what that ship was.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I remember doing a recorded user research test on the Cities Skylines 2 tutorial, I was really bad at it lol. One of the user research people had to come in and tell me how to do curvy roads. Thus proving that grand strategy game players aren't smarter than other gamers, we're just slower.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

fuf posted:

I always used to complain about this with Paradox stuff but I'm kind of used to it now.

You have to just play a game of balancing your desire to turn it off because it's so painful to watch vs your desire to know about upcoming stuff.

Doesn't look like a V3 expansion, just a trailer for the 1.2 update. So not clear what that ship was.

Cities, maybe? EU5 and Vampire: Bloodlines 2 were definitely optimistic guesses. EU5 because they said no new games from PDS, and Bloodlines 2 because that game's never coming out. :v:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The pain I felt from this presentation has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Anno posted:

Idk, there’s not exactly a lot of story-heavy tactical combat games out there. And the aesthetic is pretty distinct I think.

Hard West, Othercide, XCOM Chimera Squad, Mutant Year Zero. Plus plenty of tactical RPGs that are very similar to this genre. If anything it's oversaturated.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Anno posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics and and Ogre Tactics as well as all the indie spin-offs based on them would like to have a word.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Tomn posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics and and Ogre Tactics as well as all the indie spin-offs based on them would like to have a word.

I’m not saying it’s a new genre. But both of those games came out in the 90s and stuff like Fell Seal (or even games like Chimera Squad) or whatever isn’t exactly written to a level I’d expect out of HBS.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

A story heavy tactical rpg? Fire Emblem is like right there. Engage is even probably the best Fire Emblem game from a pure gameplay side. And if you care more about story, Three Houses is the best on the story/character angle.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eimi posted:

A story heavy tactical rpg? Fire Emblem is like right there. Engage is even probably the best Fire Emblem game from a pure gameplay side. And if you care more about story, Three Houses is the best on the story/character angle.

Story heavy tactical RPGs that aren't cringingly anime with a tendency towards outright pedophelia then.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Story heavy tactical RPGs that aren't cringingly anime with a tendency towards outright pedophelia then.

Tactics Ogre.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Got me there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh cool Lamplighters is a day one Xbox game pass game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

So I finally got my copy of the new Europa Universalis The Price of Power board game, and I was thinking of running a PbP session of it over in Trad Games. Would anyone be interested in playing? Figured I'd float an interest check here first. The rules are publicly available on BoardGameGeek and on the discord server of the game, so here's a link to them to see if you're interested: and here's one of the map in 1444/1618 starts