Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sekiro bosses are a dance between peers, Souls bosses are 'wonder what fresh bullshit this is going to be', and Elden Ring is 'No tarnished, you are the bullshit'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's going to be hard for any game to top OT2's soundtrack this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZeY9avZQuE

Yasunori Nishiki deserves to get way more work

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Saint Freak posted:

Sekiro bosses are a dance between peers, Souls bosses are 'wonder what fresh bullshit this is going to be', and Elden Ring is 'No tarnished, you are the bullshit'.

It's this, yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a new Soken soundtrack in a few months so it has competition

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Big white gorilla ape who farts and throws feces is my peer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a new Soken soundtrack in a few months so it has competition

And maybe a Hamauzu (et al) one too?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i started wo long with english voices, and thought man these are bad, it really recreates the feel of watching a very badly dubbed movie

then i switched to japanese, which to my ears is nice and comfy, but it felt silly to play a game about china in japanese so i switched to chinese, which sounds strange cause i'm not used to it.

i'm also playing on keyboard so all those steam reviewers are really just bad imo. although, it might be because by default i have a very high sensitivity on my mouse that it's playable at all.

Jay Rust posted:

Big white gorilla ape who farts and throws feces is my peer

no primate in any video game who farts and/or throws feces deserves any respect

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
in live a live you get a lovely gorilla who learns how to throw his poop at enemies and it's actually a really useful move for the chapter's superboss

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Okami lets you poo to attack enemies but amaterasu isn't a primate

What other games let you poo as a weapon

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Woke up with this donkey Kong song stuck in my head but couldn't place it or find it and just now realized it's the sephiroth dk song that's why I couldn't find it in the soundtracks

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

Okami lets you poo to attack enemies but amaterasu isn't a primate

What other games let you poo as a weapon

Earthbound gives you Poo as a whole character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Woke up with this donkey Kong song stuck in my head

if you ask your mother she’ll say “ah, he’s not so bad!”
but when I left the house I took everything she haa-ad
I took ‘er silver and ‘er gold and scoffed ‘er weddin’ band
I even took ‘er aprons and ‘er copper pots and pans!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The 7th Guest posted:

it's going to be hard for any game to top OT2's soundtrack this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZeY9avZQuE

Yasunori Nishiki deserves to get way more work

Agreeeeeeeeeed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-neE639OIz0

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

got very mad at Wo Long today, but also I feel like I've gotten better? Very conflicted on this.

Anyway, they finally announced Cities Skylines 2 so I'm very excited about that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

so sick of nonhuman-mammal/human hybrid anime girls

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
agreed. where are the dudes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

agreed. where are the western cartoon girls

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, it's not actually an anthropomorphic non-human if it's just a person with animal ears. Get some imagination going game devs!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

homeless snail posted:

agreed. where are the western cartoon girls

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Catching up on the thread after being away from my computer for a few days, and I was surprised I didn't see this interview during all the G4 chat.

At the time this aired, I was a regular reader of the front page, but never bothered to look at the forums. This interview convinced me it was worth it even that as I understand, that was the opposite intention.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Khanstant posted:

He doesn't politely wait for you to read his attacks like FromSoft enemies do
But he does. At least it felt like I read his every move. In that winning battle I deflected his ranged attack twice, which practically insta-stuns him. It was just... easy to read. I dunno.

Mr Hootington posted:

Souls brain being a hindrance to wo long would be a fun twist.
I sucked at Sekiro, beat Bloodborne just fine, and I know Elden Ring isn't a barometer for "skill at FromSoft games" but I did recently beat it, including Malenia, and was able to first-try some of the harder bosses in the game. So I've got Souls on the brain which made me feel more prepared for Wo Long.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think wo long is going to end up feeling easier for certain people by virtue of the fact that the fromsoft catalogue, with the exception of sekiro, has the clunkiest controls and worst input buffering of any third person action game i can think of, and so a game that was developed by people who make action titles for a living is necessarily going to feel like you've had the training weights lifted

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vermain posted:

i think wo long is going to end up feeling easier for certain people by virtue of the fact that the fromsoft catalogue, with the exception of sekiro, has the clunkiest controls and worst input buffering of any third person action game i can think of, and so a game that was developed by people who make action titles for a living is necessarily going to feel like you've had the training weights lifted

???

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i've played nioh 2, wo long, and all the PC-available fromsoft titles extensively and the degree of character control you have in a team ninja game vs. a fromsoft game is a night and day difference

i think this was a more deliberate design choice in dark souls 1, but the evolution towards aggressive, fast paced combat was not matched by an increase in responsiveness, so you end up with elden ring where i am still hitting dodge roll late, getting hit, and then having that input buffer through after the hit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

waiting for :skillissue:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
know what owned, the 2004 ninja gaiden

i should probably play that again

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

know what owned, the 2004 ninja gaiden

i should probably play that again

i've been kinda tempted to start picking through team ninja's non-DoA portfolio after liking nioh 2 and wo long so much, although i might start with SoP for the love of the Brand

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vermain posted:

i've been kinda tempted to start picking through team ninja's non-DoA portfolio after liking nioh 2 and wo long so much, although i might start with SoP for the love of the Brand

sop is real fuckin good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vermain posted:

stop mashing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m less than halfway through wo long and it has had at least three separate bosses so far whose main form of attack is “lazily wave a tentacle from one side of the screen to the other”

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Looper posted:

stop mashing

the input buffer not clearing on hit is well known and easy to replicate, and is not a consequence of mashing, something that is also provable by playing, say, wo long and never seeing similar input buffering in it at all ever

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i mash too much :(

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kerrzhe posted:

i mash too much :(

U should play eddy gordo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that is a consequence of mashing though. you feeling that consequence is half the reason why input buffers exist

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun, and lol how did they get some of these actors? This game is really good though, and is the first time I am playing it. Started the GDI campaign first because James Earl Jones of course.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vermain posted:

the input buffer not clearing on hit is well known and easy to replicate, and is not a consequence of mashing, something that is also provable by playing, say, wo long and never seeing similar input buffering in it at all ever

sounds like something a button masher would say

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

buffer deez nuts

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless snail posted:

that is a consequence of mashing though. you feeling that consequence is half the reason why input buffers exist

i've had it plenty of times by pressing the dodge roll key once late when the hit has already connected and having it buffer through

you can certainly say that's a punishment, but getting hit is already sufficient punishment for an action title without then making it feel like your character is being mind controlled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i prefer unbuffered nuts personally