Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Ralph Hurley posted:

KISS was something I saw images of as a kid in the 80s way before I heard their music. My impression was they were something from the recent past which I assumed was an evil sounding heavy metal act. Then they started appearing on MTV doing a comeback with no makeup and songs like this
https://youtu.be/lNKJ4SPj_Rw
Lol

The 80s were not good for KISS. Except for Gene because he got to bang Cher and married Shannon Tweed

KISS was a big part of the Satanic Panic in the 80s.

Knights
In
Satan's
Service

Gene dressing up like a strange Batman and throwing up blood and spitting fire didn't help. Then there's his tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bonzo posted:

The 80s were not good for KISS.

Truth. The disco song (still they're biggest hit) and the solo albums killed what little credibility they had and turned off the hardcore fan base who moved on to poo poo like Judas Priest and Motley Crue, who were far better bands.

By the 80's, they had become a band that was largely aimed at kids; or at least that's what their audience eventually consisted of by that time, and for good reason. They worked hard and sold out every chance they got but they were never that talented to begin with and, miraculously, never managed to get better as song writers or the ONE thing that was supposedly the central element of their medium. Playing actual rock and roll music. Their fans eventually grew up and the shock value and novelty of it eventually wore off but for a while it was wild and a lot of fun. At least to my 10 year old self.

If I had to, I could cobble together a playlist of KISS songs that would range from passable to good (with two or three genuine bangers in there) but they were always about the spectacle, the image and the cash register more than actually being any good and they didn't seem to care much so long as their bank accounts were filled. They don't have much in the way of artistic integrity or talent but they had a hell of a work ethic - Gene and Paul in particular.

I'd argue that Howard has far more talent for his chosen field than KISS ever did but the similarities surrounding how they both got to where they did are ringing out for me when I think of this interview.

Speaking of Judas Priest, they opened when I saw KISS in 1980 and that's how I learned about them. They could play circles around KISS but none of the 13 year old kids in the audience (which was 80% of it if you count their parents) gave a poo poo. We wanted to see lasers and fireworks and poo poo with easy sing alongs.

I have a picture of me dressed as Ace for Halloween when I was that age that I'll post if I can dig it up. My mom did a GREAT job on my make up.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
That’s the Love Gun costume right?

Sal got his rear end kicked by Puerto Rican kids when he wore that to school.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The funniest thing about KISS is that just like Metallica they tried to regain credibility by doing an terrible album with Lou Reed that everyone forgets.

Did Lou ever do the show?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

This man has absolutely masturbated to Hostel 2.

We were talking about Howard being unlikeable awhile ago, and I was just thinking about that time he freaked out about the plugs at the end of the show, and he either cut or severely shortened everyone's plugs to a few seconds each. I mean, say what you want about Bob Levy (Jeffrey Dahmer with a joke book lol), but he did a lot of heavy lifting for the show, especially during the first few years of the Sirius run, and having his "payment" cut because Howard wanted the wrap up show to start 30 seconds earlier was pretty cunty.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DangerDummy! posted:

We were talking about Howard being unlikeable awhile ago, and I was just thinking about that time he freaked out about the plugs at the end of the show, and he either cut or severely shortened everyone's plugs to a few seconds each. I mean, say what you want about Bob Levy (Jeffrey Dahmer with a joke book lol), but he did a lot of heavy lifting for the show, especially during the first few years of the Sirius run, and having his "payment" cut because Howard wanted the wrap up show to start 30 seconds earlier was pretty cunty.

That was one of those weird things where Howard undervalued him while he overvalued himself. Bob's freakout is kind of a fun listen because he overreacts while Howard gets super high and mighty and both come out looking like poo poo. One of those rare times when Artie is the voice of reason telling both to just chill out and take value from each other.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Lifespan posted:

That was one of those weird things where Howard undervalued him while he overvalued himself. Bob's freakout is kind of a fun listen because he overreacts while Howard gets super high and mighty and both come out looking like poo poo. One of those rare times when Artie is the voice of reason telling both to just chill out and take value from each other.

That's a really great read on the situation.

Bob really did deserve better. He could be very funny sometimes, but his real value to the show was being sad sack loser, and anyone in that capacity in the Stern universe just gets used up until they get tossed aside for a newer, shinier toy.

My birthday show from year one is next. It's got Misty the Hooker and loving Janice Dickinson. Sounds like an absolute blast. I swear he had that wretched skank on once a year to talk about how she hosed Stallone.

e: What was Sal's big HR fuckup that they wouldn't talk about on the show? It was between jerking off at work and the apology prank. They were talking about the apology prank being strike three for him or something, then they alluded to something he did...I know I've heard it somewhere, but I'm not remembering it.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 2, 2023

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DangerDummy! posted:

What was Sal's big HR fuckup that they wouldn't talk about on the show? It was between jerking off at work and the apology prank. They were talking about the apology prank being strike three for him or something, then they alluded to something he did...I know I've heard it somewhere, but I'm not remembering it.

+1. I don't know if they ever said what it was, but even Gary didn't know until the apology thing so it was something heavy. I'm not sure if that ever came out, though I would assume it would be something with the interns.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

It was brought up on Reddit by someone who goes super deep into Stern show lore, and they outlined the whole thing iirc. I'm not about to plumb those depths, though. Something so inappropriate that they're not willing to clown on loving Sal... That's gotta get real weird.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Remulak posted:

The funniest thing about KISS is that just like Metallica they tried to regain credibility by doing an terrible album with Lou Reed that everyone forgets.

Did Lou ever do the show?

I seem to recall Lou Reed hating the show because either Howard yelled at him at an event, and they never made up before Lou passed.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DangerDummy! posted:

e: What was Sal's big HR fuckup that they wouldn't talk about on the show? It was between jerking off at work and the apology prank. They were talking about the apology prank being strike three for him or something, then they alluded to something he did...I know I've heard it somewhere, but I'm not remembering it.

The one piece that seems to be reliable is that it involved an intern, and was a sexual harassment type of accusation. It's likely speculation and unfounded but one person claimed that he sniffed a chair that an intern had been sitting in. Knowing Sal, it does fit.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

quote:

Bob really did deserve better. He could be very funny sometimes, but his real value to the show was being sad sack loser, and anyone in that capacity in the Stern universe just gets used up until they get tossed aside for a newer, shinier toy.

Bob was completely delusional. Also he kept screaming about how he never went on any other shows and was keeping all this "incredible" material for Stern but that was a complete lie, he was appearing pretty regularly on a real lovely show up here in Albany at the same time.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Sand Monster posted:

The one piece that seems to be reliable is that it involved an intern, and was a sexual harassment type of accusation. It's likely speculation and unfounded but one person claimed that he sniffed a chair that an intern had been sitting in. Knowing Sal, it does fit.

So the chair sniffing thing was different from what I understood. The HR thing they never talked about was also related to an intern...and I think he showed a female intern his cock in the back office.

haljordan posted:

Bob was completely delusional. Also he kept screaming about how he never went on any other shows and was keeping all this "incredible" material for Stern but that was a complete lie, he was appearing pretty regularly on a real lovely show up here in Albany at the same time.

What Bob, and to a certain extent Greg Fitzsimmons, never fully grasped was the shows they were given could have literally been nothing more then an infomercial for their comedy dates, website, merch etc..
Howard gifted Bob hours of time on Sirius to do basically whatever the gently caress he wanted, including promote his firehouse shows.

Mr Lance Murdock fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 2, 2023

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

So the chair sniffing thing was different from what I understood. The HR thing they never talked about was also related to an intern...and I think he showed a female intern his cock in the back office.

Wow. That they didn't fire him for that is very surprising.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Sand Monster posted:

Wow. That they didn't fire him for that is very surprising.

If it was defended under the guise of "we were prepping for a bit" then I could see how it would get overlooked.
I dont defend Sal anytime ever, but when the show is living on bits called "guess whats in my pouch" and "Cock-aoke" the lines probably get very blurry in the back office(s)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I thought Sal got in deep poo poo with HR after a female intern was going into the bathroom and he said something like "Hey there's no TP in there but you can use my tongue if you like."

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

haljordan posted:

I thought Sal got in deep poo poo with HR after a female intern was going into the bathroom and he said something like "Hey there's no TP in there but you can use my tongue if you like."

That was absolutely something he got in trouble for, but no serious repercussions were given. It was said once, almost quickly on the show as one of many examples of Sal’s stupidity.

And just to bring it full circle regarding KISS, but specifically Gene Simmons, the 80s (and most of the 90s) were not good to them… as expressed by the sad, desperate cameo Gene made in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSPCs8GUYNE

(bonus Gilbert footage!)

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

haljordan posted:

That's the one I was thinking of.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

What Bob, and to a certain extent Greg Fitzsimmons, never fully grasped was the shows they were given could have literally been nothing more then an infomercial for their comedy dates, website, merch etc..
Howard gifted Bob hours of time on Sirius to do basically whatever the gently caress he wanted, including promote his firehouse shows.

This is very true, but Howard tantruming over a 15 second plug during a part of the show no one listens to was pretty lousy. Bob should've been smart enough to just eat the poo poo sandwich and move on, but Bob wasn't a show regular because he's smart and well thought out. It was a crap thing to do, whether Bob overreacted or not.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DangerDummy! posted:

he's smart and well thought out

:lol:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Yell like pee

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
He went to Heedeeonisym

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cliche Guevara posted:

That was absolutely something he got in trouble for, but no serious repercussions were given. It was said once, almost quickly on the show as one of many examples of Sal’s stupidity.

And just to bring it full circle regarding KISS, but specifically Gene Simmons, the 80s (and most of the 90s) were not good to them… as expressed by the sad, desperate cameo Gene made in this:

(bonus Gilbert footage!)

This video played at least once on Headbangers Ball. In fact, I remember it because it was 12:52AM (the last, and not greatest slot) and I was happy to see something Stern related. I never saw it again

And speaking of stupid KISS songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybmEK64OkjA

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cliche Guevara posted:

(bonus Gilbert footage!)

I got a minute in and it felt like four minutes, I almost choked when I saw there was like 3 minutes left. This song and the video are so extremely bad lol

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Leeszr lambignelly

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

This video played at least once on Headbangers Ball. In fact, I remember it because it was 12:52AM (the last, and not greatest slot) and I was happy to see something Stern related. I never saw it again

And speaking of stupid KISS songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybmEK64OkjA

That record contract and video is a good argument for Stern being the most powerful entertainment figure of the 1990s.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

kylej posted:

That record contract and video is a good argument for Stern being the most powerful entertainment figure of the 1990s.

Seriously, I laughed when I read the tag and saw Stuttering John was published by Atlantic Records? WTF?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

On second read I may have phrased that incorrectly lol

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DangerDummy! posted:

On second read I may have phrased that incorrectly lol

You may not have represented yourself properly on how you wanted to explain yourself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lifespan posted:

You may not have represented yourself properly on how you wanted to explain yourself.

He should request traction

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BiggerBoat posted:

He should request traction

I'm still waiting on my traction.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

DangerDummy! posted:

There's a way to do it where it's at least palatable. She just dumped it in the frying pan while she frying it up so that it got all blackened up by the time it was done. Lady was a mutant, I dunno what else to say about it.

Super late, but why not just use brown sugar and make candied bacon? That poo poo's awesome. Also, incredibly unhealthy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm still waiting on my traction.

I want to be the traction broker.

Mods, can you put a traction in the OP's post?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
So...how's Howard's note to Tom Sizemore coming along?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/11k1614/howard_probably_wears_shower_shoes_in_his_own/

What in the gently caress is that outfit.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

If it came out that Ralph's "stylist" work over the years has been an elaborate, well orchestrated long con hoax, it could arguably be the greatest hoax ever achieved.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Legit thought that was Ralph for a second. Beth's face is "Oh God how much longer is he gonna live"

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
SiriusXM cutting 8% of their workforce. Any idea how much staff Howard has now? I wonder if they are protected.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Two Kings posted:

SiriusXM cutting 8% of their workforce. Any idea how much staff Howard has now? I wonder if they are protected.

I think they're in the 60-70 range, give or take, which is baffling. It's rumored that his staff is paid as part of Howard's contract; e.g. if he earns $100M per year then every expense for his channel (wages, etc.) is taken from that amount. It's also rumored that many of the staff were reduced out of FTE roles with the last contract renewal, losing health benefits etc. as a result. Supposedly that's why Shuli left -- they wanted him to take a reduced role and at a significant reduction in salary, effectively becoming a contractor without included health insurance and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Yeah, I was under the impression that Howard retains the rights to his content now and part of that was that the majority of his staff was employed under his corporation. I think the larger personalities like Robin, Fred, and Gary are independent contractors paid by Sirius through traditional talent contracts.