Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Eifert Posting posted:

The most important things to understand about Warhammer 40K is
A) It was made by a bunch of gen x English dudes Who had a justifiably extremely negative opinion of governments. At a fundamental level, Warhammer 40K was never meant to be aspirational in any way.
B) up until the mid '90s where it started becoming one of the more profitable sci fi IPs it was written to be extremely silly and nonsensical satire.

My favorite anecdote illustrating the latter point is that one of the most important characters in the setting is named after the bouncer at one of the bars they all used to go to.

Angry Ron

Angryron
Angron
(Colonel) Konrad Curze (Kurtz)
Roboute Guilliman was meant to sound like a French-Caribbean revolutionary
The primarch of the Iron Hands is called Iron Hands. His hands are made of metal.
Lionel Johnson was a 19th century poet best known for a poem called "The Dark Angel"
Corvus Corax is the Linnean name for the common European raven.
Chagatai Khan was one of Genghis's sons

The 2nd and 11th legions were inspired by the fate of three Roman legions at the Battle of Teutoberg Forest, where they were wiped out by the Germans and never re-established. The Orks, famously, are football hooligans.

The setting itself is a mashup of stolen ideas taken from 2000AD, Dune and Michael Moorcock, with a bunch of Catholic iconography.

The whole thing was pretty low-effort and silly, so any attempts to build Grand Sweeping Lore or a coherent sci-fi universe on top of it all are basically like trying to build a house on sand. It's fun to watch people try but the best advice imo is just to not worry too much and enjoy smashing the fightymans together.

edit: this is also why a lot of people find WHFB a more charming setting because it's all done with a wink to the reader about how silly it all is. Whereas 40k has lost that over the years.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Space Marines just seem like wunderwaffens to me. Totally impractical on anything but a very local scale. I feel like the first dawn of war kind of illustrates this, as you progress through the levels, despite all your victories, the orks just keep taking more and more of the campaign map.

Like the milky has about 10^11 stars at the lowest estimate and probably about 9 times as many planets. There aren't nearly enough chapters or marines to make much of a difference. But sure whatever, suspension of disbelief and all that.

When you implement this sort of stuff into a game system though, then it gets interesting. Like what happens to a lot of high level spells in some games. They do a lot of damage, but they tend to cost too much, take too long to cast and or come too late in a game to be practical. Where a cheaper more reliable spell would end up doing more damage for less cost.

Or kind of like in some space games where everyone guns for the big fuckoff battlecruiser spaceship that is aesthetically cool, but it practice it's just a giant, slow moving target, that's easily out maneuvered.

That's how space marine seem to me, or I guess more egregiously the war titans, they've got all the theater and aesthetics that make them seem awesome. But functionally all they can do is secure a small region on one of 500 billion planets.

The Imperium isn't going to win the war by way of its Space Marines.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

DaysBefore posted:

The alpha was really fun

Lion'El Jonson and his secret base at The Rock are even better imo

Yeah, but getting that one requires some knowledge.

(The Rock was a gay bar in the 80s and Lionel Johnson was 19th century poet and the author of "Dark Angel". He was also gay.)

40k is full of silly puns, some more obscure than others, some just taking the piss. It helps when one realizes that the guys who came up with it all (allegedly) took massive amounts of drugs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Even the mostly dead emperor inert on the golden throne absorbing massive amounts of resources was a dig at the English monarchy according to I want to say Gav.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This article was a pretty insightful look into how the imagery of the 40k game shifted over the years and how you can still make a case for the game from a leftist's perspective. As someone who knows little about the setting and its history the Thatcherite Orks was amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eifert Posting posted:

Even the mostly dead emperor inert on the golden throne absorbing massive amounts of resources was a dig at the English monarchy according to I want to say Gav.

It's a straight rip from the evil British empire of Granbretan, which comes from moorcocks deliciously trashy fantasy Hawkmoon books

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

However I am sure moorcock was making the same point lol

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The galactic situation around Big E kind of put him on a timeline tbh

quote:

For ten thousand long years before the Fall, the warp had been riven with storm and tempest, making it almost impossible for the vessels of the lesser races to travel any great distance between the stars. With the birth of Slaanesh, the warp was becalmed, its rage temporarily spent. A new equilibrium was reached as Slaanesh joined the ranks of the Chaos Gods. With the warp storms around ancient Terra dispersed, the newly risen Emperor of Mankind was able to launch his Great Crusade. A new power took its place in the galaxy as isolated human worlds from across the stars were united under the same banner. In this way, the Fall of the Aeldari heralded the rise of the nascent Imperium, and so Mankind inherited the stars.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex:_Craftworlds_(8th_Edition) (2017)

An older reference:

quote:

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex:_Eldar_(2nd_Edition) (1994)

If there was one good which came from the birth of Slaanesh it was that the warp was there after becalmed. Before the advent of Slaanesh the warp was riven with storm and tempest making it lamost impossible for spacecraft to travel between the stars. Now the warp became passive. A new equilibrium had been reached, and Slaanesh joined the ranks of major Chaos gods. For a while the powers in the warp waited whilst the new order established itself. For the first time in millenia human spacecraft flew from Earth. Human worlds throughout the galaxy were brought into contact once more. During the Great Crusade which followed the Emperor brought humanity together into the Imperium, and mankind replaced the Eldar as the galaxy's most vital race.

Big E timed his emergence from the age of Strife to try and line up with the calming of the warp storms so he could get his Great Crusade off. He's dealing with a pretty tight timeline here and a poor start. He needs to essentially solidfy his hold on Terra, build his infrastructure to take mankind to the stars and somehow find enough good soldiers to go crusadin while doing it fast enough to meet the rising Ork threat and addressing the Ragdan. Warden is 100% correct about the first two biggest threats being the Ragdan and the Ullanor orks which can both snuff out the nascent imperium before it really gets moving.

The wider strategic galactic picture is the War in Heaven has finished, the old ones are gone, broken by the Enslavers who only gained a foothold in the galaxy due to the seeding of psychically sensitive races as a last ditch effort against the Necrons. The necrons are tired from kicking the C'tan and Old One's asses and have decided to take a quick nap to recharge and wait for the ascendant Eldar to fall....which they happily oblige with.

The longer term issue is the full emergency of mankind as a psychic race who would throw the galaxy into turmoil, invite enslavers 2.0, juice the chaos gods and succumb to unfettered perils of the warp writ large. We also probably wanna be done doing whatever we're doing by the time the Necrons really wake up.

We've reach a bit of a reset as far as the Galactic Order of Things is concerned and this is what the Emperor thrusts his Crusade into. He feels like he needs a leg up though so he went off to Molech and gets the Primarchs in return for ~something~ at some point.

He kicks off Unification to solidfy his base and needs to power the engine of the crusade with enough qualified warriors to conquer the galaxy and some very qualified individuals to lead them so the Space Marines are born. (who promptly murder the beta versions of themselves at Mt.Ararat, we love efficiency, this comes back later). The primarchs get spirted away , but we still have the marines and these guys are the best we got as far as time and value goes so the references to them being bolted together ogres are spot on but off we go because we're on a timeline.

quote:

‘No, I reckon not. Which is why I come back now – how did the Legion perform?’

Valdor’s expression was hard to read. ‘Well enough,’ he said. ‘There are weaknesses, of course, but they will do better next time. Recruitment and training remain… taxing*.’*

‘Then we must redouble our efforts,’ Malcador said. ‘Having seen their forces, we will need more than one detachment. Three, I think, should do it.’

‘We do not yet have three.’

‘Then we must work harder.’ Malcador put the glass down and padded along the gallery, his soft shoes sinking into the carpet as he went. ‘Were there Cataegis in the rebel forces that reached here?’

‘A few,’ said Valdor, walking alongside him.

‘So they cling on.’ Malcador pursed his dry lips. ‘It will be harder to like their replacements, I fear. Still, we are not making them for companionship.’ He reached a life-size replica of an ancient Graeco-Roman discus thrower, rendered in molecule-perfect facsimile in imperishable stone. ‘Always, He insists on this haste. He wants us to take the gene-cults now, construct the fleet now, bring the Legions up to full combat readiness now. It is no good trying to tell Him how difficult such things are, for He only sees the objective, not the trajectory. That could get us into trouble, one day.’

-Valdor: Birth of the Imperium

The space marines have problems but we need them and these Primarchs to get their asses in gear and quit with the BS so that Big E can unify humanity under his flag and shove all of them into the webway where they can evolve safely and away from the chaos gods. Lorgar gets slapped at Monarchia, Magnus starts staring into the abyss and Angron is Angron because the Emperor does not care and needs to get his hands on as much of humanity as possible as fast as possible before everyone starts manifesting daemons and the bill from Molech comes due.

quote:

‘Come, my friend. This is good news. The Crusade would be immensely speeded, were we to recover what was lost that night. Imagine it – the Legions reunited with their primogenitors, just as was always intended.’

Valdor said nothing for a while, though his brow remained furrowed. When he finally replied, his voice was thoughtful. ‘I remember when I carried those vials from the flames,’ he said. ‘I remember feeling the life flicker within the glass. And after that, I remember seeing the first of them emerge from the amniotic units, glistening like infants. And then, later, I watched them increase in number, be given their weapons and trained to use them. I saw all these things, and I said nothing. And yet, Astarte, who knew them best of all, believed them so dangerous without their primarchs that she tried to destroy them all.’

Malcador looked at him seriously. ‘What are you saying, Constantin?’

‘That if the primogenitors were truly scattered, can it be wisdom for us to seek them out? Should they not be left where they are? Destroyed? If they live, they will have the touch of their captors on them.’

Malcador nodded. ‘A risk. But we did not get where we are now without taking risks.’ He reached out and clapped Valdor’s arm. ‘We shall speak of this again. You shall speak of this with Him too, when He returns. Hone your arguments – I judge that He is determined to hunt for them. He has taken to referring to them as His “sons”. Can you imagine that? Neither could I, until I heard it from His own lips. There might even be some lingering attachment, there, though how long it will last I cannot say.’

Valdor hesitated. ‘Then His human sentiments – they are still ebbing.’

"As He predicted. All things have their price.’ At that, Valdor remembered what Kandawire had said, huddled against the cold as her dreams were dashed from her.

You let these things run loose now, you will not be able to rein them in later.

‘Every step, in every direction, is hedged with danger,’ Valdor said, darkly.

Malcador looked amused again. ‘That has always been the promise. Do not tell me you regret it, or I might begin to doubt your commitment to the cause.’

If he had expected Valdor to be angered by that, he was disappointed. The captain-general merely turned away, sweeping his long cloak about him and walking back along the gallery, leaving the Sigillite behind him in the shadows.

‘How could you doubt that?’ he said, speaking as if to no one in particular, or perhaps to someone who was no longer present. ‘The cause is literally all I have. I can only hope, if we set out on this new course now, that we can say the same for these… sons.’

Big E knew about the heresy though and was attempting to stack the deck in his favor until Magnus does nothing wrong and suddenly he needs to be in the webway all the time to ensure Terra doesn't become the eye of terror. He probably thought he'd do more good pushing the webway project along and let the space marines sort out the whole heresy situation with Mt. Artat 2.0.

Valdor certainly thought so

quote:

That didn't prevent the issue from preying on Valdor's mind. He still heard the whispers of all the creatures he had killed on Terra. The Emperor remained silent, and in that absence, all he had were those voices--teasing, tempting, reproaching, over and over again.

He could end this. If Fo was right--if he was even partly right--then the great experiment Valdor had watched unfold over centuries, the catastrophic creation of those quarrelsome warmongers... it could all be eradicated. To destroy them now, before they unraveled creation entirely; that might well have been the Emperor's will. It might be what needed to happen.

Surely the day would have come, sooner or later, in any case. Surely there would have been an Ararat for the Legions, too.

So if Horus, greatest of them all, should make landfall here--if he should break down the gates and seek to enter the Sanctum itself--would that be the moment? And if so, would there still be an opportunity to look up at the Throne, to seek confirmation before all its great work was destroyed? Or would he have to make the decision before that hour came, alone--trusting in a faculty of judgement that had only ever been created to serve, not to lead?

And what if that judgement were wrong? What if the Emperor still had intentions, yet to be disclosed? What if this had been His plan all along, and only time, and patient loyalty, would yet reveal its perfection? Would he, Valdor, then be a greater betrayer even than Lupercal, led into error by those who had proven themselves over and again to be without scruple or wholesome emotion? Would he--as incorruptible as the stars themselves--be the heretic?

Or would he merely stumble at the appointed hour, too frozen by doubt to act? Or was this why he had been given the spear in the first place, to lead him to enlightenment?

Would it even work?

Should it work?

He had almost forgotten Diocletian was still standing there. Valdor collected himself and took up his spear once more. As he did so, he felt the static spike of transference, the abrasive reminder of the blood drunk greedily by this thing.

"Thank you for the briefing, tribune," he said, rising from his seat.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jimbot posted:

This article was a pretty insightful look into how the imagery of the 40k game shifted over the years and how you can still make a case for the game from a leftist's perspective. As someone who knows little about the setting and its history the Thatcherite Orks was amazing.
I read somewhere that the Mag Uruk Thraka thing is not true, or at least wasn't intentional :shrug:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Another fun excerpt that reinforces how rushed all of this was comes from Echos of Eternity, the latest book in the Horus Heresy series by the black library.

The traitors have boots on the ground and Horus hovers in his flag ship. The assault in the physical realm reaches a fever pitch as Sanguinius makes his stand at the Eternity Gate and banishes Ka'Bandha. Magnus presses the Emperor in the warp and webway, seeking a way to break the seal in the Throne Room. Desperation drives Malcador to send Vulkan in to stop Magnus and we get a nice look at the human sections of the webway. These were to be the foundations of the safe space prepared for humanitys ascenion

quote:

The walls of the Imperial webway, where he’d emerged after running through the portal in the Throne Room, were rigid frames on circuit-threaded Martian metal fused to various alien trans-osseous materials and cultured psychoplastics. He recognised his father’s vision in this blend of human and alien technology: the distant past bolted and fused to the present, for the sake of an imperfectly understood future. It grieved him, to know it had all failed so utterly. Horus had much to answer for. As did Magnus.

Vulkan was a smith, a shaper, a maker. He knew the craft of creation. How to bring artistry to bear along seams of inspiration. Working with the materials, not against them. Creating through a process, a weave of exploration and imagination. Yet the amalgamation around him rang wrong to his senses. This was something jury-rigged, erected against the grain, woven outside the seams using half-wrong approximations of the right materials. It worked, but it worked poorly. There had been an end goal in mind, but only the most ragged ability to reach it.

Vulkan didn’t doubt his father’s ambition or the worthiness of the Emperor’s ultimate goal, but the craftsman in him felt ill at ease with the improvised genius of the webway’s Imperial portions. Human ingenuity was stark and flawed, almost tumorous, in this dimension. It made for an ugly union. Without the Emperor’s endless maintenance, without the constant flow of the Emperor’s psychic will, the Mechanicus’ sections were already crumbling, rotting, falling away into the abyss where metaphysics went to die. Even without the damage from Magnus’ treachery… It is all so forced, so rushed. It hurt him to admit, but that was the impression it imprinted upon his artisan’s heart. Necessity had surely played its part, but the result was undeniable. Vulkan ran his hand along the walls of Martian iron and inlaid suppressive circuitry. It penetrated his gauntlets, sending a weak tingle through his fingertips. I do not know if this would ever have worked. Not for long. Perhaps not even for long enough. Imperfect. That was the word. Imperfect, when nothing less than perfection would suffice.

And what if his father had come to him? Would he have been able to turn his mastery to this realm behind reality? Would his brother Ferrus have been able to help him? Would Magnus have joined them, forming a triumvirate of visionaries devoted to constructing the bridge to mankind’s destiny? No. There was nothing he could’ve done here – of that, he was certain. It wasn’t long before Vulkan left the Imperial portions behind. He felt no sorrow at seeing the back of them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I love that the downfall of the great human empire was basically around a galactic urban planning dispute, that's extremely British

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the emperor had just made 20 Vulcans they'd all be fine

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Kanos posted:

This is probably the best way to do it. Marines are specialized killing machines and are better than literally everyone else at that(with the possible exception of like, tricked out mechanicus combat characters), but they kind of stink at anything that isn't killing hundreds of dudes at an alarming rate.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A legitimately great 40k game.

All grant howitts stuff is good, he's worth digging into if this is new to you

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

A legitimately great 40k game.

All grant howitts stuff is good, he's worth digging into if this is new to you

I guess I’m gonna have to check this stuff out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheWeedNumber posted:

I guess I’m gonna have to check this stuff out.

https://rowanrookanddecard.com/product-category/game-systems/one-page-games/

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Damned if I could remember which book or short story it where Marines are shepherding civilians, and one attempts to make small talk with a baby. It was the funniest poo poo.

Also, Grant Howitt is a treasure and his one-page rpgs are often funny as hell, like Honey Heist. His longer rpgs are pretty nifty too.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Zephro posted:

I read somewhere that the Mag Uruk Thraka thing is not true, or at least wasn't intentional :shrug:

Yeah, Andy Chambers swears it comes from a LARP thing they used to do where they'd made up some Ork language, and the whole Thatcher thing is just linguistic pareidolia.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Warden posted:

Damned if I could remember which book or short story it where Marines are shepherding civilians, and one attempts to make small talk with a baby. It was the funniest poo poo.

Also, Grant Howitt is a treasure and his one-page rpgs are often funny as hell, like Honey Heist. His longer rpgs are pretty nifty too.

There's a short story where a detachment of marines link up with some guard, and one thoughtful sergeant comes up to ask if they want to be relieved for watch, leading to one of the marines to lose his loving mind on him having to be held back from tearing his head off for implying they might have any human frailty or weakness.

"Let the Galaxy Burn" novel iirc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A few pages ago, this thread was actually discussing the game. Someone mentioned bits and pieces weren't translated from Russian yet or translated improperly.

If you're curious about anything in particular, send the Russian text my way:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

https://youtu.be/gULQBFNgvdA

At least we don’t have to worry about Owlcat failing to understand that the Imperium are also villains.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

CottonWolf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULQBFNgvdA

At least we don’t have to worry about Owlcat failing to understand that the Imperium are also villains.
No Necrons on that video is bit disappointing.
I hope they're included in the final game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Given announcement trailer, they 100% will be.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Issaries posted:

If you look at the last 30 seconds of the video it's literally an animation of the Rogue Traders arriving at a Necron Tomb.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Cantorsdust posted:

If you look at the last 30 seconds of the video it's literally an animation of the Rogue Traders arriving at a Necron Tomb.
Yeah, that was on the original trailer too, but this was a factions introduction video and there's plenty of interesting factions missing.
Only Humans, spiky humans, elves and spiky elves were on the video.
Necrons were the biggest one missing in the introduction.
Orcs or Genestealers/Lictors can be a random encounters or whatever.
No Tau or Dwarves either, but I wouldn't miss them if they were absent.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Issaries posted:

Yeah, that was on the original trailer too, but this was a factions introduction video and there's plenty of interesting factions missing.
Only Humans, spiky humans, elves and spiky elves were on the video.
Necrons were the biggest one missing in the introduction.
Orcs or Genestealers/Lictors can be a random encounters or whatever.
No Tau or Dwarves either, but I wouldn't miss them if they were absent.

I thought they already said the reintroduction of space dwarves came to late into design to include them, at least in the base game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They are called Demiurge now, used to be Squats. Owlcat said they would have loved to include them but were too far along in development at the time GW brought them back into the lore.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Weren't the Demiurg retconned to be an actual alien race, and the Squats renamed the Leagues of Votann?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If I understood it right, Squats are still a thing too, but strictly refer to space dwarves who have left mainstream League society to strike out on their own as mercenaries or contractors.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Zephro posted:

I read that too, but the orc warband with Maggie’s face on their banners is definitely real so it’s possible they were just playing it down.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

pentyne posted:

They are called Demiurge now, used to be Squats. Owlcat said they would have loved to include them but were too far along in development at the time GW brought them back into the lore.

Demiurge were the T'au auxiliares, the new Squats are the Kin from the Leagues of Votann

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Azran posted:

Demiurge were the T'au auxiliares, the new Squats are the Kin from the Leagues of Votann

It's heavily implied in the new Votann lore that the Demiurge are an offshoot

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a little concerned about how the promo materials seem to be really digging into the chaos versus good boy narrative.

Maybe I'm by myself over here but I was hoping for more of a dynasty building colony/fleet pursuit rather than a big narrative story campaign.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

D-Pad posted:

It's heavily implied in the new Votann lore that the Demiurge are an offshoot

The line in the codex is "The Kin have been mistakenly known to T'au and Human alike as the Demiurg"

Basically, the retcon is that all the various Space Dwarves over the years have been Kin in some form or another, with individual leagues being mistaken as a whole species by some, like the ones that were all eaten by Tyranids.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm a little concerned about how the promo materials seem to be really digging into the chaos versus good boy narrative.

Maybe I'm by myself over here but I was hoping for more of a dynasty building colony/fleet pursuit rather than a big narrative story campaign.

General Spoilers from alpha

I mean the narrative of the Alpha, which is the 2nd chapter of the game, is about you reclaiming your dynasty holdings and becoming crowned as the new Rogue Trader of the Dynasty.
There's not exactly free-form dynasty/fleet building. You explore places and gain resources/people and sometimes claim a planet to your dynasty.
There's occasionally mini-dungeons that you find that you can explore.
1st chapter that isn't in the Alpha established you as the heir and you have a nemesis that's a chaos worshipper. They weren't directly shown on the alpha, but pursuing/fighting them is likely the matter of the 3rd chapter.
Chaos vs humanity seems to be the theme here.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CottonWolf posted:

That angle being missed is always the biggest worry I have with Warhammer media so it's nice to see them being unambiguous. I didn't get a sense of them pulling any punches in that regard in the Alpha either, especially with some of the dialogue and actions you can choose.

Issaries posted:

I hope to see them as a full -fledged force but if not, they (and the T'au) seem obvious for expansions later on. Not ideal but not the worst option either imo.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

They’ve already shown off a variety of in-game necron units right?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Anno posted:

They’ve already shown off a variety of in-game necron units right?

We have? I don't remember any and didn't see any inside the Alpha.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Maybe a case of mistakenly remembering images from WH40K: Mechanicus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/owlcatgames/status/1610244715772780546?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

https://twitter.com/owlcatgames/status/1580211697473699842?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

https://twitter.com/owlcatgames/status/1572239203810746368?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA