Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

3 of the guys that were supposed to help with that kind of stuff never came back

Good point, I didn’t think about that. The whole back half of the episode felt a little empty to me, like there should have been more cult members around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm all for keeping up momentum and yes it is a video game and I guess that has something to do with it (?), but I did think it was a little funny how the cult town was introduced, revealed to be evil, defeated, and they're moving on all in less than an hour.

One episode after the nice town was introduced, revealed to be cool, explored, and they're moving on all in less than an hour.

(Okay there was a flashback in between)

And I assume next episode the Fireflies' place is going to be introduced, revealed to be good/bad, either explored/blown up, and the season will be over. Maybe that one will take more than an hour since it's the season finale, but we'll see.

I guess it just feels odd not sticking around anywhere for more than one-two episodes (even though yes I know they only have so many episodes and the whole story is about getting to a destination and it's a game etc), and in particular this episode feels like it could have used more time building up the threat instead of "Hey there's this town, oh it's creepy, well they're dead now, see you next week."

Still enjoying the show for sure, it just feels like the pacing is off I guess.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sammus posted:

Good point, I didn’t think about that. The whole back half of the episode felt a little empty to me, like there should have been more cult members around.

joel probably killed them all off screen, while picking suitable supplies for factions mode

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

fullroundaction posted:

You mean the part where our protagonists burn down the main building of this established community of killers and cannibals after offing their leader(s) and then slowly hobble towards a lake or river that we hadn’t seen before while no one else from the entire community notices or bothers to check out what’s going on? And then doesn’t give us anything to lead us into the exciting season conclusion? Yeah.

Only a small number of the community were aware of the cannibalism, at least openly. I'm sure there were probably some suspicions. I don't think it was the main building, because if you're secretly carving up people you don't want to be doing it where any random person could walk in and find out.

Nobody else knew that Joel and Ellie were there so once word got out that an abandoned building was on fire on the far side of the resort folks likely headed over there to put out the blaze. As long as Joel and Ellie were clear of the immediate vicinity there'd be no reason for anyone to be looking for them, unless they found the guy with a cleaver in his brain or the body with 150 stab wounds.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Only a small number of the community were aware of the cannibalism, at least openly. I'm sure there were probably some suspicions. I don't think it was the main building, because if you're secretly carving up people you don't want to be doing it where any random person could walk in and find out.

Nobody else knew that Joel and Ellie were there so once word got out that an abandoned building was on fire on the far side of the resort folks likely headed over there to put out the blaze. As long as Joel and Ellie were clear of the immediate vicinity there'd be no reason for anyone to be looking for them, unless they found the guy with a cleaver in his brain or the body with 150 stab wounds.

The entire town did know that Joel and Ellie were nearby, who they were, and that their people were out hunting them (and at least a portion of them wanted vengeance). I guess I would have expected more of a high-alert type atmosphere, but yes everything you said is possible in the context of real life, just doesn't 100% work for me in tv show form, since killing the main big bad doesn't immediately release all of the threat and tension of the scenario.

I only called it the main building because it's where we've seen that (presumably) everyone gathers together for meals, and we have no other context for how this "resort" functions, is laid out, sense of size/scope, etc.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sammus posted:

I feel like this has happened a few times with this show. Like their big meeting/dining room is on fire and absolutely no one else shows up at all. Similar thing happened with KC where Ellie and Joel were able to just sort of walk away from the big massive fight happening 50' away with only one person showing up to briefly attempt to stop them, and then they just move on. Tess's death also had a similar feel. Just feels a little weird.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah where the hell was everyone at the end.

Anyway lol at Joel going 4-0 up on these jabronies.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

fullroundaction posted:

You mean the part where our protagonists burn down the main building of this established community of killers and cannibals after offing their leader(s) and then slowly hobble towards a lake or river that we hadn’t seen before while no one else from the entire community notices or bothers to check out what’s going on? And then doesn’t give us anything to lead us into the exciting season conclusion? Yeah.

The lake was shown in at least two wide shots of the town, including the very first shot of the episode.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I don't think it's weird that no one else showed up because the episode does establish that David and his inner circle are up to some shady things that they don't want everyone else to know about. If we look scene by scene:
  • We see David's followers gather as a whole twice. Once to mourn the man that Joel killed and then once in the evening for dinner.
  • After they gather for the meeting, we see people walking in different directions down the streets from the diner and not into the nearby buildings suggesting that they live spread out in the town
  • The cars/boats/corpses are shown as being in a different building than the diner both when Joel enters it and earlier when David tells his follower to go get the guns so they can go hunting.
  • There are intermittent snowstorms throughout the episode.
  • The showdown between David and Ellie is pretty quick and the building is on fire for a few minutes as most.
  • David only had his inner circle on the hunt and at the diner because he was doing things he was hiding from the rest of the cult
  • David starts the day with only 5 people with him to hunt Joel. Joel kills 3, Ellie kills 1 other and David. Realistically, there's only one of the inner circle hunters left unaccounted for

I think that's enough to suggest that there wasn't anymore near the diner when the showdown happened (other than 1 guy unaccounted for) and anyone who had seen it by the time Ellie and Joel left would have quite a way to come in a snowstorm. The rest of the followers are gonna show up later to find the diner on fire/burned down, maybe some remains and all David's inner circle missing except the 1 dude that knew they had Ellie and that she and Joel are to blame.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Viridiant posted:

The lake was shown in at least two wide shots of the town, including the very first shot of the episode.

Yeah I realized after I said that I was probably wrong, and it's a stupid nitpicky thing anyway, but what I more meant is that's the closing shot and it's the most notable/unique thing about the terrain and surrounding area, and we see Joel/Ellie headed directly for it, but up until that point it hasn't been used as a feature of travel or landmarking in any way.

Again, a stupid thing for me to even include, I just remembered thinking "oh yeah there's a huge body of water, that maybe should have been utilized as part of the story in some way?" if that's how we're closing the episode.

I'm sounding a lot more critical of the show than I actually am. I just wanted to be more excited going into the finale than I am, so I'm a little disappointed there. Now I feel like the best I can hope for is a mildly interesting setup for what comes AFTER the finale, as opposed to the finale itself (since we all know this show and story isn't 1 season long).

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Go into the finale with an open heart. Namaste.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Same. For the first time in this series, I was pretty bored. Felt like a rebooted TWD episode. The good news is I'm cleared of being a misogynist because I had the same trouble buying into the cult leader guy not getting smoked by one of his followers the second he turned his back on them. Thinking more about it, I realized I had the same issue with Negan. In a society of no laws and guns everywhere if you just run around being a dick and trying to rule by fear you're going to run into someone that just isn't going to put up with your poo poo and has the basic level of planning to smoke you at the first opportune time.

Man with bad take immediately says for no reason "I'm not a misogynist"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That episode was amazing, start to finish. Tension was insanely high and it told a great story, complete.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Video game people are the worst.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

withak posted:

Video game people are the worst.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

fullroundaction posted:

I only called it the main building because it's where we've seen that (presumably) everyone gathers together for meals, and we have no other context for how this "resort" functions, is laid out, sense of size/scope, etc.

When they leave the building after the first scene, you can see that all of the adjacent ones are boarded up and presumably unoccupied. They show actual homes and a neighborhood in the opening shots too, where people would be living. There's no reason for them to be living in the old commercial buildings that would surround the restaurant.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 6, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Get the feeling the game probably had you kill a cartoonishly high amount of people in this episode and also all the others.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Did anyone get the feeling that Troy wanted to execute Ellie right away, as his way of saving her from David, cause he knew what David had in mind for her? Like he was ok with being a cannibal, but being a pedophile was worse.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Same. For the first time in this series, I was pretty bored. Felt like a rebooted TWD episode. The good news is I'm cleared of being a misogynist because I had the same trouble buying into the cult leader guy not getting smoked by one of his followers the second he turned his back on them. Thinking more about it, I realized I had the same issue with Negan. In a society of no laws and guns everywhere if you just run around being a dick and trying to rule by fear you're going to run into someone that just isn't going to put up with your poo poo and has the basic level of planning to smoke you at the first opportune time.

Why are you assuming guns are everywhere? The first thing these types do is centralize power. I guarantee only David's inner circle had access to the armory, and are the only ones scouting anywhere new guns and ammo could be found. Also, it's common for abusers to not become openly violent until their victims are fully isolated and dependent on them, which David has achieved given he's their only source of food in a time of starvation.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

AgentHaiTo posted:

Did anyone get the feeling that Troy wanted to execute Ellie right away, as his way of saving her from David, cause he knew what David had in mind for her? Like he was ok with being a cannibal, but being a pedophile was worse.

When he went to shoot her and then got stopped, I was half expecting him to say "sorry kid" so you aren't the only one no.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Khanstant posted:

Get the feeling the game probably had you kill a cartoonishly high amount of people in this episode and also all the others.

yes, basically every major plot point has either combat with people or infected involved, since its a video game. Like in the jackson episode you fight off raiders. that would add nothing to the show so they smartly left it out.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

glitchwraith posted:

Why are you assuming guns are everywhere? The first thing these types do is centralize power. I guarantee only David's inner circle had access to the armory, and are the only ones scouting anywhere new guns and ammo could be found. Also, it's common for abusers to not become openly violent until their victims are fully isolated and dependent on them, which David has achieved given he's their only source of food in a time of starvation.

I loved the detail of David firing four shots before his gun goes empty. And I hope somebody went back and picked up those rifle rounds in the snow!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

yes, basically every major plot point has either combat with people or infected involved, since its a video game. Like in the jackson episode you fight off raiders. that would add nothing to the show so they smartly left it out.

Imagining a TV show where Pedro Pascal sneakily crouch walks everywhere reaching up to grab bullets pills and rags off of counters for 20 minutes before finding the right angle to strangle a guy without being seen

Then starts the process again

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Kwolok posted:

Go into the finale with an open heart. Namaste.

Man with bad take immediately says for no reason "I'm not a misogynist"

I thought it was here but maybe it was somewhere else, but I got called a misogynist because Melanie Lynskey as brutal warlord didn't work for me. Same reason Preacher Creeper didn't work for me.

glitchwraith posted:

I think every single adult that has been in the series that was outside of the Boston whatever zone has been armed. David had to ask James to go get the guns and he did after he made it a point to intimidate him and give him poo poo about being loyal. But instead armed people cower in fear of people they could easily kill and there's no longer a functioning legal system. Hell, the mother of the daughter that got slapped around (and who knows what else) could just poison David when she's feeding him his captain's portion of human stew.

E: Missed the obvious answer to your first question: because the story is set in the United States.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I thought it was here but maybe it was somewhere else, but I got called a misogynist because Melanie Lynskey as brutal warlord didn't work for me. Same reason Preacher Creeper didn't work for me.

I think every single adult that has been in the series that was outside of the Boston whatever zone has been armed. David had to ask James to go get the guns and he did after he made it a point to intimidate him and give him poo poo about being loyal. But instead armed people cower in fear of people they could easily kill and there's no longer a functioning legal system. Hell, the mother of the daughter that got slapped around (and who knows what else) could just poison David when she's feeding him his captain's portion of human stew.

If your point is that the people of this town are basically complicit because they are all following a man who they know to be evil, that they could easily overpower with just a few people, and only keep following him because it benefits them to do so, then yes I agree.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

XboxPants posted:

If your point is that the people of this town are basically complicit because they are all following a man who they know to be evil, that they could easily overpower with just a few people, and only keep following him because it benefits them to do so, then yes I agree.

Their point appears to be that people who are suffering systemic abuse should just kill their abuser and it’s completely unrealistic that they don’t. In their argument, the only thing keeping oppressed people from killing their oppressors is fear of the courts and police not the oppressors themselves or twisted senses of loyalty through years of grooming.

This is in contrast to the real world where nobody is abused, slavery does not exists, and there are no cults.

The fact that the poster had a similar issue with the KC episodes makes complete sense because the only ways people hold power are through personal physical might.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 6, 2023

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I think in heavily armed, post-apocalyptic world you would see would-be tyrants would get killed by their potential subjects a lot more often, yes.

E: in the real world people that take lethal action against their abusers often end up being prosecuted, so yeah, there's that.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

E: Missed the obvious answer to your first question: because the story is set in the United States.

did you miss the part where it was her brother that was the leader and she has had the position for all of 10 days? Man, its almost like she was not supposed to be a brutal warlord and is actually an idiot making bad decisions

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

did you miss the part where it was her brother that was the leader and she has had the position for all of 10 days? Man, its almost like she was not supposed to be a brutal warlord and is actually an idiot making bad decisions

Did you miss the part where large numbers of heavily armed people acted like they were terrified of angering her and continued to follow her bad decisions because.....reasons?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cause they loved her brother.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Vintersorg posted:

Cause they loved her brother.

Yes and no. It started that way but one of them clearly states they follow her because she successfully organized the overthrow of FEDRA.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

did you miss the part where it was her brother that was the leader and she has had the position for all of 10 days?
It was 10 days since they ousted FEDRA. I don't think we were told how long before that her brother was captured and killed, and she started leading.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

deoju posted:

It was 10 days since they ousted FEDRA. I don't think we were told how long before that her brother was captured and killed, and she started leading.

She was also probably doing a lot of the work as well. Her brother sounded like he was the main public face, but I got the feeling she wasn't just somebody who happened to be related to him. I I thought she was heavily involved as like a second in command.

And for whoever was thinking she stabbed him a lot, I remember reading a study where people who stab someone to death generally stab way, way more than is actually needed. Whether its because of just rage and adrenaline taking over or because the person they're stabbing just hasn't stopped moving yet or is still fighting back. That's why you always hear about someone getting stabbed 30 times when they've been murdered. She was scared, he was a lot bigger than her, and adrenaline took over so she just kept hitting him.

That was one brutal as poo poo takedown of the horse though, even the setup they showed in the after show looked insanely painful and dangerous.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Imagining a TV show where Pedro Pascal sneakily crouch walks everywhere reaching up to grab bullets pills and rags off of counters for 20 minutes before finding the right angle to strangle a guy without being seen

Then starts the process again
I would unironically love a high budget 'prestige' TV show to commit to this. And I thinkits inevitable, i give it five years.

Also , I don't know. If feels like all post apocalyptic TV shows always start good and get stuck in a bad loop. It's almost like the tropes brain glitch the writers into just doing the loop by their nature, they encourage lazy writing so well. Saying that, I love these shows.

More mushroom folk! More mushroom folk!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'll play the games when they eventually come to PC but get the feeling I'll feel that stuff just throws off the pacing, plus I just don't like shooting people in videogames. Heard there was sneaking though and I love to sneak around.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sammus posted:

Maybe I’m being a little bit picky, but why the gently caress wouldn’t you field dress and butcher the horse almost immediately?

Because they kill and eat people.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I don't really understand why the guy with the baseball bat back at the university's first instinct was to try to kill Joel.
Because they kill and eat people.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 6, 2023

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

glitchwraith posted:

Yet when that inner circle were at the University scouting for food all they had were baseball bats.

All the men had rifles when hunting Ellie, but brought nothing when going further afield?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Good episode of TV and it's still a good show but I do feel like it's not living up to the potential of the first couple of episodes. I've gone from thinking this could be an absolutely amazing piece of television if it keeps up this quality to hey it's a good show with two actors that are elevating it when it's not so fantastic.

Also do agree about the criticisms of the end, definitely felt a bit too empty, and it also felt kind of rushed. I know it's only a 9 episode season but it really feels like it needed to be 12-13 or so to have more room to breath, especially if episode 9 is the ending of the game. This episode could easily have been a two-parter with more exploration of the community and more time with David, he had the makings of being a really good villain especially if they didn't have him go from potential good guy to villain so fast. Also making him both a cannibal and a pedophile felt like putting a hat on a hat imo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bucketybuck posted:

Yet when that inner circle were at the University scouting for food all they had were baseball bats.

All the men had rifles when hunting Ellie, but brought nothing when going further afield?

Why are you assuming those yahoos were the inner circle?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

Good episode of TV and it's still a good show but I do feel like it's not living up to the potential of the first couple of episodes. I've gone from thinking this could be an absolutely amazing piece of television if it keeps up this quality to hey it's a good show with two actors that are elevating it when it's not so fantastic.

Also do agree about the criticisms of the end, definitely felt a bit too empty, and it also felt kind of rushed. I know it's only a 9 episode season but it really feels like it needed to be 12-13 or so to have more room to breath, especially if episode 9 is the ending of the game. This episode could easily have been a two-parter with more exploration of the community and more time with David, he had the makings of being a really good villain especially if they didn't have him go from potential good guy to villain so fast. Also making him both a cannibal and a pedophile felt like putting a hat on a hat imo.

This could’ve been a really solid two parter where they plant the seeds and drop hints in part one, while trying to paint David in a more sympathetic and positive light, then drop the curtain in a part two to gently caress with everyone.

In general, I wish they would fluff things up a bit more as the season does feel quite rushed… but at the same time, the more significant deviations just haven’t been as good. Kansas City and Lynskey’s character were totally snoozers, relatively speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I also felt the ending was sudden or off like many people are saying, BUT I kinda think that's just because I'm so broke-brained from modern tv. In truth, I actually really appreciate that we're getting these self-contained stories that start and resolve within a single episode. There's not enough of that today. It seems like so many shows feel obligated to fill half of every episode with some tedious long term narrative that doesn't really go anywhere and it's just being included so they can wedge in a cliffhanger and string you along waiting for the mystery box to be opened (looking at you, nu Quantum Leap)

If I want some shows to be less like Star Trek Discovery and more like Star Trek Strange New Worlds, I gotta tell myself that it's fine if the episode just ends neatly and resolves everything and doesn't set up next week's episode in any obvious way.