Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
happy birthday sandywolfy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Happy birthday dude!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Happy birthday Sandwolf!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Happy sand day

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Happy Bday Sandwolf!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ahpy birtday sandwolff

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Rimworld 2 now open!

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Happy belated, Mr. Scumwolf!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Chess Mafia for 15 players.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Super Kaizo Auspol Mafio 3 ended in a scum victory.

Tried out some funky voting mechanics, observations for each:
  • Plurality: underwhelming because people were voted out way under majority.
  • AUTOSCROLL: Added a global gated stack every so often up to 30% of majority. This one was fun and would be good on D1 of a big game.
  • Lights out: People didn’t like the longer day, also they just kept voting the voteproof player (hehe).
  • Everyone starts at -1: maximum hilarity.

recycled some interesting roles too, feel free to use if you’d like

thank you and best wishes

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Just 11 more players needed! (:negative:)

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

There’s a lot that I think I could fairly say about all this, and believe me, I’ve thought about doing so, but it probably doesn’t help anything. However, let’s acknowledge what happened to this community: it started getting choked to death by a sex pest’s expanding cult. People got hurt in ways I wasn’t even aware of. Is mafia dead? I don’t know, but it died for me a while ago. I’d like to see if we could possibly bring it back to life.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Mafia seems to be going just fine from the recent games I played

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mafia will outlive us all

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

Mafia will outlive us all

Gen1 something awful mafia poster mafia

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

t a s t e posted:

There’s a lot that I think I could fairly say about all this, and believe me, I’ve thought about doing so, but it probably doesn’t help anything. However, let’s acknowledge what happened to this community: it started getting choked to death by a sex pest’s expanding cult. People got hurt in ways I wasn’t even aware of. Is mafia dead? I don’t know, but it died for me a while ago. I’d like to see if we could possibly bring it back to life.

:leavemtg:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Mafia will never die, somehow

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Mafia is still alive and kicking, we've got new games going all the time (they don't get posted as frequently here probably, should try to rectify that)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My expanding cult has nothing to do with Mafia thank you very much

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I am excited for a trememdous mafia revival tour with names of old

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

t a s t e posted:

:dafuq:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I don't think Mafia is dead. Games are still being run regularly and filled up, we get a regular trickle of both new players and new mods, and a shitton of original modding ideas too.

I haven't even been here long enough to remember them, but I don't think the people involved in running and handling the RP horror stories accurately reflect the current Mafia community any longer, tbh. And I am also, personally, drat happy they do not.

Also, everyone come fill this Rimworld 2 game because OA is a cool guy and a cool mod who will spreadsheet your dumb choices so you don't have to!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
cult me! cult me cult me cult me

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don’t intend to denigrate newer players and mods. It’s simply different in terms of active membership and game frequency than the period I’m referencing, which I think anyone who played, say, ten years ago would recognize.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I should play more Mafia, but Blood on the Clocktower had sorta stolen all my social deduction-y brainspace for the past few months :sweatdrop:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

t a s t e posted:

I don’t intend to denigrate newer players and mods. It’s simply different in terms of active membership and game frequency than the period I’m referencing, which I think anyone who played, say, ten years ago would recognize.

I know! Sorry if the wording was unclear. The time of 90+ player games has long passed, I agree.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shellception posted:

I know! Sorry if the wording was unclear. The time of 90+ player games has long passed, I agree.

90+ players???

Holy poo poo... This will need a couple more vigs.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

t a s t e posted:

I think that we are ready for the sequel to SA Mafia, if only there were such an enterprising person who could run such a game….

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Cloacamazing! posted:

90+ players???

Holy poo poo... This will need a couple more vigs.

91, to be precise!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jump King posted:

The State Of Mafia

I'm trying to a pleasing way to lay out this information visually but I have some information about mafia.

I've cut games that closed without any players and a few others that got canned before they started but I didn't comb through all 1000+ entries to verify everything so there's a few joke games and other non mafia projects included in here.

I counted every mafia game for each year, as well as the number of players each game had. I'll be presenting this in the form "the year 20XX had Y mafia games with Z players"

2010 had 107 games with 1564 players
2011 had 145 games with 2170 players
2012 had 115 games with 1860 players
2013 had 145 games with 2183 players
2014 had 127 games with 1827 players
2015 had 164 games with 2484 players
2016 had 149 games with 2060 players
2017 had 77 games with 1197 players
2018 had 61 games with 1017 players
2019 had 44 games with 605 players

This information again but in a table:
pre:
Year	Games	Players
2010	107 	1564
2011	145 	2170
2012	115 	1860
2013	145 	2183
2014	127 	1827
2015	164 	2484
2016	149 	2060
2017	77   	1197
2018	61   	1017
2019	44   	605
Conclusion: Mafia died and it died in 2017. This is a bit counter to what I actually thought was going to come out in the data which would be a slow decline in the number of games leading to now, but instead the numbers stayed pretty consistent and even seemed to be increasing towards the middle of the decade, but then there was a hard drop off in 2017, with about half the number of games run than the previous year. 2019 had the fewest games on record, with about 1/3 of the games that the community had in it's heyday.

I wonder how the last few years would look on this

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

it is never too late to revive our good friend mafia

been thinking about a few interestingly mechanical games but I also wonder if maybe some quick 7 or 11-player games might be good

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We should implement some kind of queue for big games

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jump King posted:

We should implement some kind of queue for big games

We already have a big game queue , just waiting on Fronz to launch abandoned mafia ship

What we really need is a medium game queue

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh crap, my big game is 11 years and 1 month late, I knew I forgot something

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Mafia games used to be numbered. Every game that came after those first thirty or so are basically not canon

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jump King posted:

I wonder how the last few years would look on this

2020 had a bit of a resurgence for some reason

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm interested in playing some forums mafia but I've only ever played in-person mafia/werewolf/witch hunt and so I'm not at all familiar with some of the crazier or more involved mechanics that exist in some SA mafia games, so personally I would welcome some simpler games as an intro, maybe even as a sort of "new player" drive. Like even if the timing was better for me, I'd hesitate to join the Rimworld 2 mafia game because it looks like there's quite a bit going on mechanically, and also I know nothing about Rimworld.

Though for all I know there are plenty of "beginner" games and I just never check at the right time. Do pretty much all new games get linked in here when they're recruiting players?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

We do occasionally run smaller mechanics-light games, or games that have a mechanical twist but aren't outside of scope for a newbie.

I really want to run a smaller new-person focused game soonish, work is just a nightmare right now.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm interested in playing some forums mafia but I've only ever played in-person mafia/werewolf/witch hunt and so I'm not at all familiar with some of the crazier or more involved mechanics that exist in some SA mafia games, so personally I would welcome some simpler games as an intro, maybe even as a sort of "new player" drive. Like even if the timing was better for me, I'd hesitate to join the Rimworld 2 mafia game because it looks like there's quite a bit going on mechanically, and also I know nothing about Rimworld.

Though for all I know there are plenty of "beginner" games and I just never check at the right time. Do pretty much all new games get linked in here when they're recruiting players?

This thread and the discord: https://discord.gg/xT5vBE5MkY

Currently the only game that's recruiting is Rimworld, but a few other people have said they'd start a smaller game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Cloacamazing! posted:

This thread and the discord: https://discord.gg/xT5vBE5MkY

Currently the only game that's recruiting is Rimworld, but a few other people have said they'd start a smaller game.

Everyone, new and old, is welcome to join this chat and talk about mafia, movies, whatever. This is the place where 99% of mafia planning occurs for this forum though.