Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DACK FAYDEN posted:

USI: has anyone cleared Core Computing challenge 9/9? I've done 8 and I'm stalling on sectors 20/21 right by where the finish line is with any build I try. One beam laser + 5 support lasers didn't get me there but got me to 21. All kinetic cannons got me to 15 but no further. I feel like I must be missing something because I have done almost everything else and it seems like it should be easy.
trip report: with the new nerfs to synergy upgrades I can't even get this far, any tips much appreciated, also the Base challenge is rough now even once you know that the divisor for base multiplier squares is not shared across bases 2 and 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

In USI, I noticed the bombs had some changes. They lost their +1.1 damage to all kinetic, and gained a +1.05 range to all in its place.

All the base costs seem to be refigured. I was close to increasing my Base 2 blue multiplier. After the update it is now going to be another day or two.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
All weapons that had 'Laser Synergy' or 'Kinetic Synergy' have had it switched to something. Gatling Laser has fire rate, Kinetic Cannon has +armour damage, lasers and beam lasers have +damage to shields(I'll note 'Supportive Routing' is still on standard Lasers). Charge Laser and Bombs has +range.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Zyxyz posted:

trying out Evolve again thanks to recent discussion inthread, I'm about 5 MADs in and it's gone pretty smoothly so far thanks to the help of the script (excepting that one time I misunderstood how challenge genes worked and did a 1* run way too early, orz)
though it's kind of annoying how the CRISPR menu has a fixed two-hour unlock time that doesn't get scaled down along with the rest of the run, since on later MADs you're just about out of things to do by the time that timer even starts... is there some way of speeding that up that I missed, or do you have to just take the hit of wasted runtime once you have enough plasmids saved up?

anyways I just wanted to shoutout my favorite bit of fluff: how the name of the Swiss Banking tech cycles through various types of cheeses each reset :sun:

Build more bioscience labs. They don’t have a huge impact, but they do reduce the gene sequencing time. Unless it doesn’t reduce the first sequence? At any rate, it’s only 2 hours and you’ll quickly get to the point where you don’t unlock any upgrades you want to buy in a run. Also, ensure you stay above the plasmid softcap.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orvin posted:

All the base costs seem to be refigured. I was close to increasing my Base 2 blue multiplier. After the update it is now going to be another day or two.
They are, but also the base carry challenge modifiers changed, so it's a double whammy.

(upside: base 3 slot unlock costs got changed back so I could instantly buy the ones that were 5 orders of magnitude higher a day ago)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

USI: Do you ever get more than one retrofit? Sector 26 switching back to shielded dudes makes me want my lasers back, and I'd also like to get the shard (looks like purple research?) out of 24/25B.

E: The concern being if I retrofit at 24B, am I going to run face first into more armored assholes in 27, for example.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kyrosiris posted:

USI: Do you ever get more than one retrofit? Sector 26 switching back to shielded dudes makes me want my lasers back, and I'd also like to get the shard (looks like purple research?) out of 24/25B.

E: The concern being if I retrofit at 24B, am I going to run face first into more armored assholes in 27, for example.

You get your second retrofit pretty quickly after unlocking the second base.

Though I always felt that the retrofit is not that useful. I might have gotten the wrong impression but I feel that if you can beat sector 27 with an optimized build, you can beat sector 25 with the worst build just from stats alone.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I find retrofits worthwhile just because you can start with Computer/Synth and then switch to Reactor/Synth or Research/Synth.

It's also fairly useful if like, you push through a sector and then find out your weapon loadout is completely unsuited for the next sector.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

VictualSquid posted:

Though I always felt that the retrofit is not that useful. I might have gotten the wrong impression but I feel that if you can beat sector 27 with an optimized build, you can beat sector 25 with the worst build just from stats alone.

Retrofit becomes far more relevant once you unlock more utility cores. And more slots on your ship in general.

quote:

is there some way of speeding that up that I missed, or do you have to just take the hit of wasted runtime once you have enough plasmids saved up?

As the other person said, Bioscience labs reduce Sequencing/Mutation time.

I finished my first 3* EM run last night. It took a while, because by the time I unlocked the ability to hurl stuff into the Stellar Engine, I was sitting at a -700MW deficit. I'm gonna 3* BH out of here into other universes and do the 3* Pillar Ascension -> 4* EM for each one. I imagine 4* EM is going to be the longest run I have ever done, due to the lack of plasmids and lack of mastery in those universes. The biggest hit is losing the storage bonus from plasmids. My... 15.2% from anti-plasmids and 114.32% from phage just doesn't cut it. I almost feel like doing it in AM first would be faster, just from the storage + dark energy power boosts. But that's probably not true. Doing the other universes then doing AM when I have a huge chunk of plasmids for the 2.5% bonus is probably more efficient. I got 7593 Plasmids and 1429 Phage for reference.

Maybe for my sanity I just do 3* EM in those universes and call it a day. Circle back to 4* EM once I have more Spire-related bonuses and storage boosts. I would only be missing the 10% Soul Gem drop rate, but my custom race is really good at combat at this point, and even the 1 soul gem I get for free can go into a predator drone and accelerate the early parts of it.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 5, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

VictualSquid posted:

and your third a fairly long chunk into your third base!

ventured into the discord, base challenges 5+6 are meant to be impossible until base 4 drops, and compute challenge 9 the dev didn't explicitly say that but I feel it's implied by "Looks like you need 3.0 weapons maxed to clear that in any real time. and a 3.0 weapons are not going to be maximal with compute for a while."

(also base challenge 3 might be impossible without pre-nerf base production to unlock all the squares in base 3, sorry late adopters)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 5, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

In USI, I figured out why my base build timers were all super long post nerf this morning. The nerf took away my second base challenge completion. At some point Friday I went through and cleared some more challenges, one of which was the second base challenge. I will have to see if I can clear out the second base challenge with the stuff I have managed to unlock so far. I think I should be able to. Just kind of annoyed at that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, they got squished by being divided by 2.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dipwood posted:

Maybe for my sanity I just do 3* EM in those universes and call it a day. Circle back to 4* EM once I have more Spire-related bonuses and storage boosts. I would only be missing the 10% Soul Gem drop rate, but my custom race is really good at combat at this point, and even the 1 soul gem I get for free can go into a predator drone and accelerate the early parts of it.

You might want to nix that idea - while Ascended gives benefits per universe per star level, Technophobe / EMF only gives benefits for each additional (non-standard) universe where you've done 4*. It might help to list it out like this, and assume you're not running it in Standard (4* or otherwise).

0*: +25 starting steel, +1 trait pre-tax
1*: +25 starting steel, +2 trait pre-tax, 10 heat sink
2*: +25 starting steel, +3 trait pre-tax, 10 heat sink, 1 starting soul gem
3*: +25 starting steel, +4 trait pre-tax, 25 heat sink, 1 starting soul gem
4* the first (e.g. Heavy): +25 starting steel, +5 trait pre-tax, 30 heat sink, 2 starting soul gems, +10% soul gem drop rate
4* the second (e.g. Micro): +25 starting steel, +5 trait pre-tax, 35 heat sink, 3 starting soul gems, +10% soul gem drop rate
4* the third (e.g. Evil): +25 starting steel, +5 trait pre-tax, 40 heat sink, 4 starting soul gems, +10% soul gem drop rate
4* the fourth (e.g. Magic): +25 starting steel, +5 trait pre-tax, 45 heat sink, 5 starting soul gems, +10% soul gem drop rate
4* the fifth (e.g. Antimatter): +25 starting steel, +5 trait pre-tax, 50 heat sink, 6 starting soul gems, +10% soul gem drop rate

E: That said, it's also worth noting that having knocked out a 3* EMF, your thermal collectors are now (at least) 125 MW off the power cost of the ascension machine, compared to the old 100, so even right now - and increasingly moreso as you do 4* EMFs - it becomes that much more affordable to actually complete the ascension for the challenge in each subsequent universe.

Plus with the +4 positive traits (6 total) per complexity tax kicks in, your custom race can be considerably more badass than when you initially created it, and that'll only be more true once you get 4* EMF (anywhere - that one doesn't improve with more universes), and 3* / 4* Ascended in other universes for +4 or +5 genes each.

Don't forget to load up on negative traits which are flavorful but not actually all that harmful, as that'll give you points you can spend on more-impactful positive traits.

Vil fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 5, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I know about the negative traits stuff. I was able to add 2 more positive traits due to the 3* EMF, mostly production and combat rating.

I will stick to the plan of 3* Pillar Ascension -> 4* EMF per universe then. My only question is, do you think this will be faster in AM due to the storage/power boosts? At my current plasmid level I can get... maybe 150 plasmids (2.5%) active in AM. I don't know if the Micro/Magic universe mechanics make this go any faster.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Finally building the Stellar Engine again in Antimatter, 96 segments to go. I feel like this is going to take a very long time.

Couple days later, 64 segments to go.

This is going to take me all week, I fear.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Evolve chat: I'm pretty deep into the end-game so I'm trying some of the new resets in True Path. I just unlocked Tau Ceti. This is going to be interesting.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Farmer Against Potato Idle (god I wish the acronym was less dumb) has updated with Cards and I have no idea what they do

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Farmer Against Potato Idle (god I wish the acronym was less dumb) has updated with Cards and I have no idea what they do

Yeah, this update has basically made me decide to stop playing.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If you've played WAMI, cards function almost exactly like Generators.

If you haven't:
  • You get cards from expeditions: every expedition will give you some power for 1 of 3 cards. Amount of power depends on the length of the expedition.
  • Each card gives you a buff to a specific stat based on how much power you have in that card. This power, however, is temporary and is lost on ascension.
  • You can turn temporary power into permanent power using charges. You gain 1 charge every 12 hours, and a charge will turn 2% of a card's temporary power into permanent power. (Permanent power also appears to be slightly stronger than temporary power, I'm not really sure what the formula is there).

I don't think it's terribly complicated, but also Oninou is terrible at explaining his own mechanics.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Evolve chat: I'm pretty deep into the end-game so I'm trying some of the new resets in True Path. I just unlocked Tau Ceti. This is going to be interesting.

I haven’t done true path yet, is there anything I should know before trying it?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Arzaac posted:

If you've played WAMI, cards function almost exactly like Generators.

If you haven't:
  • You get cards from expeditions: every expedition will give you some power for 1 of 3 cards. Amount of power depends on the length of the expedition.
  • Each card gives you a buff to a specific stat based on how much power you have in that card. This power, however, is temporary and is lost on ascension.
  • You can turn temporary power into permanent power using charges. You gain 1 charge every 12 hours, and a charge will turn 2% of a card's temporary power into permanent power. (Permanent power also appears to be slightly stronger than temporary power, I'm not really sure what the formula is there).

I don't think it's terribly complicated, but also Oninou is terrible at explaining his own mechanics.

This. A breakdown of what you will likely do:

1) Run Expeditions. Cards are now a bonus reason to run any given zone and as stated above, the longer the expedition the bigger the bonus. Once you know what every card does on a given Ascension you can decide to run zones that have good odds for two or maybe even three stats you care about, or you can run zones that have one card whose bonus you REALLY value and you hope you hit that 1/3 chance. Some (all?) bonuses will show up on two separate zones so if you're targeting a specific bonus you can run both of the zones it is on at once.

2) Spend Charges. You have a very small capacity for these, so use them or lose them. Pick the stats that you value the most.

That's it, that's the whole thing. Repeatedly getting the same card gets you a bigger bonus and thus more is converted when you spend a Charge. Card XP is just another source of bigger bonus.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

USI:

I'm at Sector 30 right now. When you do a remort, how long do you do your CPU runs? I've been doing them for 4 hours each time I remort, which isn't a lot, and it seems to be doing fine. I'm struggling a little bit with what ship setup to run right now but will try a few configurations today to hopefully push past it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Chakan posted:

I haven’t done true path yet, is there anything I should know before trying it?

It's very slow. If you're going for an AI Apocalypse reset early on, be aware that soldier healing/training speed is going to be a big bottleneck.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Virigoth posted:

USI:

I'm at Sector 30 right now. When you do a remort, how long do you do your CPU runs?

Who is remort and what are CPU runs. I am at sector 48

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MikusR posted:

Who is remort and what are CPU runs. I am at sector 48
presumably a reset (rather than a retrofit) and having advanced computer lab in a utility slot + using the module/shards for computing

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

DACK FAYDEN posted:

presumably a reset (rather than a retrofit) and having advanced computer lab in a utility slot + using the module/shards for computing

Yes sorry.

A prestige using the advanced computer lab and the Compute tab with basic and advanced.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Virigoth posted:

Yes sorry.

A prestige using the advanced computer lab and the Compute tab with basic and advanced.

This game plays fine with long runs. No need to constantly prestige. Do that only when you unlock a couple slots on bases or new equipment.
Imho you should start with synth core and build up your modules as far as you can. then retrofit to compute and push as far as you can for new shards or ship parts. If you have 2 retrofits then end the run with a research core. Every couple prestiges make the last retrofit a reactor one and upgrade reactor maximum levels.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
In USI, am I just missing where you can enter how much void matter you spend per second, instead void matter period?
It's a bit tiring to try and estimate how much void matter i need to spend in chunks of 626 seconds?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Post poste posted:

In USI, am I just missing where you can enter how much void matter you spend per second, instead void matter period?
It's a bit tiring to try and estimate how much void matter i need to spend in chunks of 626 seconds?

You see the first number after the "Void Matter To Convert:"?
You can edit that.

Don't feel bad for missing it, the UI has a tendency to blend in interactives into the background.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

You see the first number after the "Void Matter To Convert:"?
You can edit that.

Don't feel bad for missing it, the UI has a tendency to blend in interactives into the background.

Yes. I can edit that, but sometimes it doesn't let me type in numbers.
And I'd rather set it to a "Void matter per second" not "chunk of void matter"

Like, I can't type in 9e4 but it does let me type in 9e3?

but what I want to do is type in

"6245 void matter per second" and then it goes and does that instead of me doing 6245 * 124 = 774380 void matter, so I put in 774380 void matter."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
USI: Is the back end of T5 supposed to be a big brick wall? I've been just slamming through content for the last 3 days but now that I'm finishing out they T5 synths, it's apparent that I'm getting nowhere with Base 3, the T6 synths are just massive timesinks, and my best way forward seems to be stacking warp reduction to mash out the rest of the tree.

I'm at 6/3/4/4 on challenges, but I haven't retried them recently. Is Base Challenge 5 doable without much of Base3 unlocked?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I just broke into sector 40 in USI and unlocked another base. I think I'm a little behind on Base Carry at the moment, and perhaps on challenges in general.

If my challenges are at 3/2/1/1, what should I be pushing them to? Any advice for builds and/or strategy to clear further tiers of challenges?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ZZT the Fifth posted:

If my challenges are at 3/2/1/1, what should I be pushing them to?
I'm only on sector 38 and I have 5/2/2/1 so you can do at least that

though who knows if there has been any challenge tweaking since I got those completions

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

I'm only on sector 38 and I have 5/2/2/1 so you can do at least that

though who knows if there has been any challenge tweaking since I got those completions

What weapons and shields should I be using for them? I have the v3 stuff now, but I genuinely don't know what builds I'm supposed to be using.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The weapon/shield tiers only matter for the Compute challenge, and you would be hovering between 1.0 and 2.0 depending on how much salvage your compute can generate at a time. Start with 1.0 and see where it leads you. Since you are starting early on with unarmoured and shielded enemies until the last challenge clear, lasers are the clear choice here.

For the others, you want weapons that operate better off of fire rate and (for Synth and Base) don't require the breakpoints to be good. Lasers are still your go-to due to the sectors involved.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I might be way off base here, but for the challenges in USI, the non-compute challenges set your base damage for the weapons. So you want something that fires faster, as that will give you a higher dps over a slower firing weapon. So the Gatling laser will do more damage compared to the bomb launcher.

No idea what gets better when you can start buying upgrades, but I still think a mix of faster firing stuff is going to do more damage.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Every other month or so I check in on Orb of creation to see if it's updated and every time the answer is no.

Can't really blame the dev, a game like that is far more complicated than most idles, but man, it scratches an itch that other games don't.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I kinda wish it just had an end screen and could be declared 'done', not every incremental needs to have a year of gameplay

release a sequel as Cube of Destruction or whatever

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Deki posted:

Every other month or so I check in on Orb of creation to see if it's updated and every time the answer is no.

Can't really blame the dev, a game like that is far more complicated than most idles, but man, it scratches an itch that other games don't.

reading the steam comments looks like the dev is MIA basically charged money for what they had did some small bug fixes then got bored. It was on my watch list, my experience when a free idle game goes paid is it's done the dev can't figure out how to monetize it and needs money, paying up front for a game where you usually do see the problem issues for 50-100 in, just doesn't work.

e: also nothing wrong with an actual ending, but put it in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

pixaal posted:

looks like the dev is MIA
I dunno about "MIA" there is a discord and he has posted there as recently as January

though Early Access games where devs pop into a discord every couple of months to say "the next thing is coming out soon I swear" is a common vibe

I wouldn't want to make a video game, sounds hard