Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

LLSix posted:

A lighthearted, bright, and colorful ARPG would be amazing right now.

isnt this minecraft dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's either that or Torchlight

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jack Trades posted:

People that care too much about achievements need to be introduced to Steam Achievement Manager.
I feel like if you're going to cheat cheevos on to your account, you might as well just accept that this is not a game you're going to platinum or whatever and move on with your life.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Fuligin posted:

isnt this minecraft dungeons

Minecraft Dungeons is a thoroughly decent game. Got a lot of mileage out of it with my kids but I enjoyed it for what it was too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Revita is a pretty great roguelite. I have my complaints (too many unlocks, not enough bosses) but it's very fun and feels good to play and there's enough random fun going on with the power up system that you just want to keep playing even after you lose. Why is it so unpopular? It feels like it does most things right.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

No Wave posted:

Revita is a pretty great roguelite. I have my complaints (too many unlocks, not enough bosses) but it's very fun and feels good to play and there's enough random fun going on with the power up system that you just want to keep playing even after you lose. Why is it so unpopular? It feels like it does most things right.

No marketing, pretty much none of the youtubers I followed that play tons of these games ever touched it or know it exists apparently.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For what seems to be a smaller indie game in an ocean of smaller indie games, 1300 reviews and a past all-time player peak of 2100 seems on the higher end if anything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kanfy posted:

For what seems to be a smaller indie game in an ocean of smaller indie games, 1300 reviews and a past all-time player peak of 2100 seems on the higher end if anything.
It doesn't play like a smaller indie game is maybe why I'm confused. It feels really professional like a game with an actual publisher.

FrickenMoron posted:

No marketing, pretty much none of the youtubers I followed that play tons of these games ever touched it or know it exists apparently.
Yeah, I guess I'm mostly surprised it never got traction anywhere.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

It had its day in the SA Roguelike thread. I'm a huge fan, and also was surprised it never really took off, especially when it launched on Switch. There's a very big update currently in the works and I'd love to see it get a second wind of popularity.

Also I agree with you on the bosses but FYI, there are unlockable alt-floors with completely different boss fights, not sure if you've seen them yet. There are also "cursed" versions of each one that shake up their movesets a bit.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

People that care too much about achievements need to be introduced to Steam Achievement Manager.

I don't particularly care about achievements (my % obtained in any game I've played in the past 5 years is probably a good indicator) but I don't like to play a gimped version of the game. And like another poster said above me, if I ever feel the need to use Steam Achievement Manager I think I'd rather play something else at that point :shrug:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

goferchan posted:

It had its day in the SA Roguelike thread. I'm a huge fan, and also was surprised it never really took off, especially when it launched on Switch. There's a very big update currently in the works and I'd love to see it get a second wind of popularity.

Also I agree with you on the bosses but FYI, there are unlockable alt-floors with completely different boss fights, not sure if you've seen them yet. There are also "cursed" versions of each one that shake up their movesets a bit.
Yeah, the Caldarium statue is super broken so I abuse the alt bosses whenever possible. I'm still only on shard 10 and am using shards that dont actually make the game harder like "more enemies" so the bosses will get harder in their own way, I just get impatient with Denial specifically.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

I don't particularly care about achievements (my % obtained in any game I've played in the past 5 years is probably a good indicator) but I don't like to play a gimped version of the game. And like another poster said above me, if I ever feel the need to use Steam Achievement Manager I think I'd rather play something else at that point :shrug:

you consider a version of the game gimped if you cant get all the achievements in a playthrough? kinda sounds like you do care about them

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I wish there were more ARPGs like Dungeon Siege 2 because I liked how bright and colourful the game was, and most importantly that I could actually see what was going on. I tried Grim Dawn and between being unable to clearly see things and having a million different build options permanently giving me choice paralysis unless I looked up a guide made me quickly shelve it

KNR
May 3, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

People who use SAM (outside something like tf2 or killing floor tying grindable unlocks to achievements) or do poo poo like play ironman achievements with one hand on alt-f4 genuinely baffle me. It's a completely meaningless internet gold star sticker for doing a thing. The only person who'll ever care is yourself, and you'll know you didn't actually do the thing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

Yeah, the Caldarium statue is super broken so I abuse the alt bosses whenever possible. I'm still only on shard 10 and am using shards that dont actually make the game harder like "more enemies" so the bosses will get harder in their own way, I just get impatient with Denial specifically.

Yeah the shard system and the option to make your own difficulty with custom shards means you can basically unlock everything without significantly boosting the difficulty in any way. Back in beta it used to be a little more akin to StS ascension levels or something where you had to enable some really nasty mods that made the game objectively harder if you wanted to push through shard levels.

I think one turn-off for people (at least on these forums?) was the "health as currency" system, but it really sounds way more punishing than it really is. It's balanced by the fact that every single enemy drops health refills and you also really don't need to buy everything that you come across; it is probably not worth spending 1 max HP on "+50% jump height" or whatever unless you're at the cap and have nothing left to spend it on. I really like the system because it solves a lot of the doldrums that come with replaying the early, easy stages in a roguelite over and over -- I'm pretty good at Revita now and have basically no risk of dying in the first couple worlds, but beating them hitless while keeping my combo meter up is still a good challenge and it's rewarding in how it pays off by giving me more resources in the harder stages.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

goferchan posted:

Yeah the shard system and the option to make your own difficulty with custom shards means you can basically unlock everything without significantly boosting the difficulty in any way. Back in beta it used to be a little more akin to StS ascension levels or something where you had to enable some really nasty mods that made the game objectively harder if you wanted to push through shard levels.

I think one turn-off for people (at least on these forums?) was the "health as currency" system, but it really sounds way more punishing than it really is. It's balanced by the fact that every single enemy drops health refills and you also really don't need to buy everything that you come across; it is probably not worth spending 1 max HP on "+50% jump height" or whatever unless you're at the cap and have nothing left to spend it on. I really like the system because it solves a lot of the doldrums that come with replaying the early, easy stages in a roguelite over and over -- I'm pretty good at Revita now and have basically no risk of dying in the first couple worlds, but beating them hitless while keeping my combo meter up is still a good challenge and it's rewarding in how it pays off by giving me more resources in the harder stages.
I can see it. I do think health as currency is very punishing, most games have dead pickups for players who are doing too well (hearts dont do anything in isaac when your health is full unless a health sink is around). While in revita half a heart of healing means you've lost 1/4 of a max heart.

I do think the combo meter thing possibly makes it a little too brutal though, not only are you down max hp for getting hit but you also collect half as much soul. This is on top of the ticket and relic purchase system which makes it really rough for struggling players, players doing well start their run off with a huge advantage and players doing badly get nothing.

But the fact that it is punishing does as you say keep it interesting. And on top of it it's not so brutally difficult at lower shard levels that you need to restart your run if you get hit in the first area, I've taken five hits in area 1 and still won my run. And the chain system doesnt even exist for your first few runs in the first place so it won't be too discouraging for brand new players.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Flashback-inspired action-adventure Lunark releases March 30th

and MEATGRINDER comes out April 13th

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 6, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

KNR posted:

People who use SAM (outside something like tf2 or killing floor tying grindable unlocks to achievements) or do poo poo like play ironman achievements with one hand on alt-f4 genuinely baffle me. It's a completely meaningless internet gold star sticker for doing a thing. The only person who'll ever care is yourself, and you'll know you didn't actually do the thing.
SAM tells steam you are playing a game without downloading the game and idling for cards.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Flashback-inspired action-adventure Lunark releases March 30th

It does look very cool, but I'm getting a weird disconnect on the chunkier pixel style, the much more detailed cutscenes and my memory of the original Flashback.

If they hadn't gone with such a homage design for the main character I don't think I'd have thought anything of it. But then would it have piqued my interest in the first place... :thunk:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

and MEATGRINDER comes out April 13th

is that a grapple hook, attached to his kick!?!

well, thats a new one. Looks fun

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

I do think the combo meter thing possibly makes it a little too brutal though, not only are you down max hp for getting hit but you also collect half as much soul. This is on top of the ticket and relic purchase system which makes it really rough for struggling players, players doing well start their run off with a huge advantage and players doing badly get nothing.

Oh yeah the chain system is another thing that's been overhauled quite a bit post-release, it used to take a lot more time to build up to max combo but the bonus was higher (maybe up to 3x?) -- now it comes and goes faster but base soul drops from enemies have been increased to compensate. Overall the game in its current form is a lot easier than it was at launch -- not to say it's easy now (I think the changes were all very well-thought-out) but my perspective is probably colored by playing since it was in closed beta, where it actually did feel quite punishing. Check out some of the Steam news posts on the upcoming 2.0 update if you haven't, it's been in the works a long time now but looks very meaty & basically expansion-sized. I think there's an opt-in beta branch where you can play with some of the new stuff, too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

SAM tells steam you are playing a game without downloading the game and idling for cards.

Yeah, at one point I was broke and unemployed and I ran SAM idling for cards 24/7, I got a couple hundred steambucks of card drops from it and bought myself many games

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Paradox show just started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noM0fV4pyQY

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

KNR posted:

About the only use I've found for it is when a game I was playing gets a new edition and it arrives as a separate install rather than a patch. If they aren't going to transfer the existing achievements over then I'm just going to do it myself.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

is that a grapple hook, attached to his kick!?!

well, thats a new one. Looks fun
it's cool, it's basically Clustertruck + Crank + FPS. you have to keep your heartbeat up which also gives you HP regen, so you have to stay on the move

it feels like a coin-op arcade game if the FPS genre had more of a seat at the table

the demo for it is still available on Steam

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Could be neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7oq0_dIRiU

XCOM + Indiana Jones, I think?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I use Steam Achievement manager sometimes if I'm missing 3 achievements and they are like "kill 1000 guys in multiplayer". Mostly its because having them all done is more aesthetically pleasing I think.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Lamplighters League may not be Crimson Skies but I'm still a sucker for 1930s pulp adventures, I love tactical RPGs, and Harebrained Schemes has a great batting average for me. So I'm definitely in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnTjWoFvmzg

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It sounds like a cool new setting, so I'm not too broken up about them moving on from existing IP if it ends up being interesting. Everything in media is a sequel these days so good for them for doing something different even if it's just because they don't want to pay licensing costs.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Played around 10 levels of Cache Grabbers and it has failed to grab me. It has a bit interesting mechanic, but there doesn't seem to be any new mechanics beyond what's introduced in the first few levels, and there seems to be basically no difficulty or challenge at all, just what feels to me like busywork. It also has a steep ask, $15 for what seems to be a two-three hour game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

you consider a version of the game gimped if you cant get all the achievements in a playthrough? kinda sounds like you do care about them

On a scale from 0 to 10 I'm definitely not a zero, but I don't like the game telling me upfront that I won't be able to see everything there is to see if I play on a lower difficulty, call it brain worms I guess

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like if you're going to cheat cheevos on to your account, you might as well just accept that this is not a game you're going to platinum or whatever and move on with your life.

eh, there are edge cases. i accidentally enabled cheats on a pillars of eternity save once, disabled them but that was it for my highest difficulty path of the damned ironman run. didnt really feel bad about using achievements manager in that case

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if i want steam to acknowledge most of my warframe cheevos i would have to sam them because i did them on their standalone client rather than the steam client and they dont automatically sync

i dont actually care enough to bother with that though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AngryBooch posted:

Lamplighters League may not be Crimson Skies but I'm still a sucker for 1930s pulp adventures, I love tactical RPGs, and Harebrained Schemes has a great batting average for me. So I'm definitely in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnTjWoFvmzg

It kinda feels like it's lacking a "hook" that sets it apart tho. Plust the gameplay reminds me almost exactly of Mutant Year Zero which kinda got old fast.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mordja posted:

It kinda feels like it's lacking a "hook" that sets it apart tho. Plust the gameplay reminds me almost exactly of Mutant Year Zero which kinda got old fast.

It reminded me a lot of Mutant Year Zero as well. Hopefully Lamplighters has enough variety in characters and enemies that you don't just come up with your best strategy that you're able to execute in every encounter like MYZ.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
The best part of Mutant Year Zero for me was abusing stealth encounters to use movement mutations to get up to areas past enemy encounters then leaving stealth. You can kinda sequence break the game that way and it made for a very fun Ironmutant run with my brother.

Although, truth be told, those runs were my whole experience with the game anyways.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I found Mutant Year Zero to be fuckin hard as hell. I'm not bad at video games you guys :(

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah same. I was fixing for more xcom when I bought it but hit a hard diff spike not far in. Any tips for the game? I'd like to enjoy it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

On a scale from 0 to 10 I'm definitely not a zero, but I don't like the game telling me upfront that I won't be able to see everything there is to see if I play on a lower difficulty, call it brain worms I guess

I don’t think aeterna difficulty prevents you from seeing anything? I thought it just changed the nastier room layouts to versions with easier platforming, which is a legitimately very high-effort way to implement an easier difficulty mode and I thought it was cool they went to the trouble to add it. makes me bummed I got pushed away from the game by something completely unrelated to the platforming anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yeah same. I was fixing for more xcom when I bought it but hit a hard diff spike not far in. Any tips for the game? I'd like to enjoy it.

Alpha-strikes and divide and conquer, mostly. You want to take out stragglers without alerting absolutely everybody and so there's a lot of looking at patrol routes and teasing them apart. Aim to give everyone a silenced weapon for this purpose.

Also generally poking around for what is the next easiest fight for your level. I remember instances where there'd be incredibly hard fights along the way that you're better off ignoring initially. There was a super tough gang guarding a tunnel entrance early on and it was better to sneak through and come back for them later.

Oh and rotating out your party regularly. I'm stretching my memory a bit here but I recall that specials cooldown on kills and will also cooldown when a member isn't in the party. So you can swap someone out while their specials cooldown and bring someone in to use theirs.

I really enjoyed it, but it felt too much like a puzzle at times.