Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AC repairs: 4500 credits
Energy weapon refills: 0 credits
Grenade launcher ammunition: 39000 credits
Rifle ammunition: 2500 credits

How do I budget this my Raven is dying

chiasaur11 posted:

I wasn't as down on Silent Line as you are, but it was a disappointment after people hyped it up so much. There's not much new in it, and the mission structure is pretty gotcha heavy, with late mission surprise ACs, death rays, or other complications that can make

I also really didn't like the sheer number of hidden parts, or how many of them were tied to S ranks, which is a system that doesn't really work well with 3's setup. (I think 4 and For Answer do better on that end with their focus on speed, but even then sometimes it's difficult to know how much ammo costs impact your final score) It makes it feel less like a game and more like a checklist if you try to find everything

Oh, and the part destruction thing is useless. Supposed to be the big changeup, like the AI system, but it ultimately doesn't matter at all, and unlike the AI, it's not even fun to play with.

I wish I could say that there was good news coming soon, but I found the Nexus through Last Raven era the roughest to get through in some ways. It's not as bad as V, and it's easier to emulate, but Nexus has tiny maps, terrible mission design, and rebalances parts in a way that makes fewer builds feel viable. Ninebreaker is weird, and Last Raven hates you. Not saying you'll have the same issues, but I figure it's worth some warning.

Yeah, I had my machine gun blow up once in the arena and there was zero feedback for it at all. I lost that one simply because I was holding the trigger down and realized after a few seconds it was trying to use a grenade launcher lol. Otherwise it never came up. I didn't mind the surprises as much as the structure of a lot of missions. One thing gets past you = you lose got old real quick, especially when exploding dead choppers and MTs count. It's also a little weird how abrupt the game ends. Even for AC it's kind of just "ok you're done now, no followup". I still liked it enough, but it was definitely the most frustrating one so far. I'll probably go back to win enough to fight the last three arena ACs at least.

Only a little way into Nexus so far but it's a neat changeup at least. I'm still really shocked how quickly I went back to the old controls, but I think it's because the new stick ones aren't really 360 degrees of movement; it just frees up a couple buttons. I was expecting it to be more like how AC4 handles as a result. Also I keep thinking the game's slowing down because of how awkward the new Rough computer type voice sounds lol, usually I upgrade the head later on but I think it's priority just for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Ulio posted:

It must be close to finish if they thought they could hit 2023. I guess we will find out by June. There should be the Geoff Keighly summer thing that is where the first Elden Ring in game trailer was shown and Armored Core was also shown on his event. Still could be really late q4.

They mentioned on a Giant Bomb podcast that the intended release window is september-october this year, with late september the most likely. Apparently the original plan was 2024 but it's been moved forward. They also mentioned that the goal was releasing it before the recently announced Shadow of the Erdtree expansion for Elden Ring.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Did I miss anyone wanting tags? If I did I am so sorry, let me know.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kanonvandekempen posted:

They mentioned on a Giant Bomb podcast that the intended release window is september-october this year, with late september the most likely. Apparently the original plan was 2024 but it's been moved forward. They also mentioned that the goal was releasing it before the recently announced Shadow of the Erdtree expansion for Elden Ring.

Makes sense, almost smack dab on the 25th anniversary of the NA release of AC1.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

Just wrapped up Silent Line. I've enjoyed it the least so far, most of the missions are either really annoying or totally obnoxious for everything but one particular gimmick you can't know will be needed until you've lost once. Every mission relying on shooting down air units is a huge pain in the rear end too. At least you can just keep going, I didn't even get enough done for the A ranks in the Arena lol (I skipped a lot and only lost like four)

I should've expected the not Nine-ball Seraph lol

Digging Nexus so far but man, dual stick controls, just don't see them taking off :v: TBH I like the dpad ones more. Also, Nexus Revolution is super cool

We're pretty synced up on our AC journey, although I haven't quite finished Silent Line left. The last few missions are quite brutal. I haven't really needed to switch builds, though. I basically have stuck with a midweight machine gun + howitzer combo for almost all of 3 and SL. Are you using missiles for those air units? I always keep a set equipped just for jets and whatnot. That or fly directly next to them and lay into them with the MG. Trying to shoot them from the ground with anything but missiles is guaranteed frustration.

Once I finish SL, probably this afternoon, I think I'm going to take a short break before trying Nexus so I can look at the next batch of games with more of a refreshed palette.

My ranking so far would probably be...
1. AC1, AC3
2. Master of Arena
3. AC2
4. For Answer
5. Silent Line
6. Project Phantasma
7. Another Age

AC1 is hard to top for me. I really like the handling in that one, the awesome soundtrack (easily the best in the series IMO), the cyberpunk atmosphere and generally not being as melodramatic as the later games became. The framerate, menus, controls, and some of those later maze missions hold it back but if I had to choose just one game out of the series it would be AC1. AC3 is definitely my next choice though, the missions in that game were overall the best so far. They've got lots of variety in objectives, feel well balanced, and are visually easily the most polished and detailed out of anything of I've played yet, including For Answer. It handles and looks great too. But I'm not as crazy about the OST which oscillates between pretty cool and pretty cheesy with the dry operatic vocal samples, or the endgame, which is kind of weak after the awesome final missions of basically every preceding game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was using heavier stuff but even enhancing turning speed or switching around didn't seem to let my arms track well enough to shoot them down reliably when they swarmed. Not to mention that stupid missile defense mission

I'm not sure how I'd rank them yet, they're all very solid and good games (except V, which so far I think is the only bad one I've played. I didn't like it even at the time). 4 and 4A are high on the list for me just because they're the ones I played along with Chromehounds and really dig the vibe (which is surprisingly different from all the others). 1 and 3 are definitely at the top of the list though, followed by 2. I didn't get back to trying Another Age yet but it's kind of just a pile of extra missions for 2, so whatever. AC3 is just an excellent game all around and honestly I think it's got the strongest story of the bunch outside of what 4 and 4A are going for (but they're pretty stymied by mistranslation and way more inferences than are reasonable)

I guess something like

1: AC1, AC3
2: 4, 4A, Master of Arena, 2 (I'm not sure how I feel about 2, I really enjoyed it but boy the Disorder stuff is annoying and the AI is the worst of the lot)
3: Phantasma (it's alright but kind of just there, Master of Arena's post-game really elevates it), Silent Line
4: ACV
N/A: Another Age, Verdict Day (haven't played them yet)

I'll see about Nexus but maybe the second disk will be higher than the first lol

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I legitimately think the control update combined with building back up from zero in Nexus jacked my brain to like it way more than it deserves

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

AC repairs: 4500 credits
Energy weapon refills: 0 credits
Grenade launcher ammunition: 39000 credits
Rifle ammunition: 2500 credits

How do I budget this my Raven is dying

Spend more on grenade launchers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nine-gear crow posted:

Spend more on grenade launchers.

Yes

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honestly look. However the game ends up being I'm just gonna buy it because its like the first armored core game in a whole decade. Show me what you can do Fromsoft!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Only a little way into Nexus so far but it's a neat changeup at least. I'm still really shocked how quickly I went back to the old controls, but I think it's because the new stick ones aren't really 360 degrees of movement; it just frees up a couple buttons. I was expecting it to be more like how AC4 handles as a result. Also I keep thinking the game's slowing down because of how awkward the new Rough computer type voice sounds lol, usually I upgrade the head later on but I think it's priority just for that

Understandable. Nexus doesn't feel great.

One thing you only get with the new controls, though, is a dedicated button for your inside parts. Lets you drop a decoy or fire a rocket without having to switch buttons, which can be very useful.

No idea why it's new controls only, but that's what From went with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, booster heat

Lol, lovely garbage parts (what the gently caress is my chain gun doing reloading in ten bullets)

Lol, everyone but me is human plus

Lmao

Really though I'm just imagining my guy screaming with fires all over the cockpit. Also god drat everything is nimble in this one. I can barely trundle, especially with the above heat issue! And that's knowing how it works and trying to adapt for it lol. I went back to give Another Age a go too, went pretty well until the 2v1 AC fuckfest with the guy with prototype exceed orbits and the other guy that just shits missiles everywhere. Wish mine did 7k a pop lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 4, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol, booster heat

Lol, lovely garbage parts (what the gently caress is my chain gun doing reloading in ten bullets)

Lol, everyone but me is human plus

Lmao

Really though I'm just imagining my guy screaming with fires all over the cockpit. Also god drat everything is nimble in this one. I can barely trundle, especially with the above heat issue! And that's knowing how it works and trying to adapt for it lol. I went back to give Another Age a go too, went pretty well until the 2v1 AC fuckfest with the guy with prototype exceed orbits and the other guy that just shits missiles everywhere. Wish mine did 7k a pop lol

I pretty much abandoned being nimble for that generation, barring special circumstances. Switched over to a clunker with the biggest gun I could find. I won't say that the CR-WBW98LX fixed all my problems... but it did make the arena fights feel tolerable.

The thing that most bugged me about that generation early on, even more than the heat and the cheating AI, was how weak most weapons felt. The game was rebalanced around the dual wielding, so most guns weren't able to kill very well, not even the big weapons like bazookas and rocket launchers. That heavy back cannon helped.

(Oh, and another 'fun' change. Now you lose money when selling parts and can't sell your starting mech. There's enough money that it's not a big deal, but that and the inability to retune parts discourages experimentation.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I saw that parts can be permanently damaged so I assumed you have the vanilla piece of poo poo as a fallback so you can still play, but not being able to trade parts back in for cost blows. It just makes it a pain to retool and experiment

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I saw that parts can be permanently damaged so I assumed you have the vanilla piece of poo poo as a fallback so you can still play, but not being able to trade parts back in for cost blows. It just makes it a pain to retool and experiment

Parts only actually break in Last Raven. Nexus just degrades their cash value once they're used. Nexus has a ton of bad decisions for no apparent reason.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I remember in Nexus that underweight ACs were really fast, like they messed up the calculations so that the lightest medium humanoid legs (the weird ones with the messed up feet) were faster than actual light class legs when it was well below the leg weight capacity. Like the changes to the overweight system, but in reverse; you can sortie overweight, it just makes you super slow unless it's just by a couple pts (also the constant overweight alarm).

Silent Line could destroy weapons, Last Raven could destroy AC chassis parts, and neither system seemed better than random (Last Raven would constantly blow out legs though). But I also recall it was really hard to get negative cash flow in Nexus, even constantly failing missions.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Positronic Spleen posted:

I remember in Nexus that underweight ACs were really fast, like they messed up the calculations so that the lightest medium humanoid legs (the weird ones with the messed up feet) were faster than actual light class legs when it was well below the leg weight capacity. Like the changes to the overweight system, but in reverse; you can sortie overweight, it just makes you super slow unless it's just by a couple pts (also the constant overweight alarm).

Silent Line could destroy weapons, Last Raven could destroy AC chassis parts, and neither system seemed better than random (Last Raven would constantly blow out legs though). But I also recall it was really hard to get negative cash flow in Nexus, even constantly failing missions.

Yeah, Last Raven was so bad/arbitrary with its part damage calculations you could blow your legs out by landing on them too hard from a sufficient height if I recall. There was also no sense of damage progression to it, any part it felt like blowing up could go on any random lucky hit instead of it going like arms > head > legs > core. Glad they ditched it when they jumped to the PS4.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

In AC-adjacent news, I am enjoying tactical squad-based mech game Phantom Brigade. It's got customization maybe a quarter as deep as Armored Core (but still big customizable highly-paintable mechs), a sort of Ace Combat-esque storyline (the other AC this game is adjacent to), and the tactical goodness we all know and love but with some Invisible Inc-style enemy action prediction as a core element. It's cool, I'm not far enough to know if it's good, and it might scratch that mech itch for a while.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Last Raven was so bad/arbitrary with its part damage calculations you could blow your legs out by landing on them too hard from a sufficient height if I recall. There was also no sense of damage progression to it, any part it felt like blowing up could go on any random lucky hit instead of it going like arms > head > legs > core. Glad they ditched it when they jumped to the PS4.

It's based on where you hit. So if you aim for the legs, you blow up the legs, go for the side, hit the arms. In a game more based on precise aiming, there could be some value to it, but with Armored Core's systems, location based damage is just awkward.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Muscle Tracer posted:

In AC-adjacent news, I am enjoying tactical squad-based mech game Phantom Brigade. It's got customization maybe a quarter as deep as Armored Core (but still big customizable highly-paintable mechs), a sort of Ace Combat-esque storyline (the other AC this game is adjacent to), and the tactical goodness we all know and love but with some Invisible Inc-style enemy action prediction as a core element. It's cool, I'm not far enough to know if it's good, and it might scratch that mech itch for a while.

Gonna have to check this out at some point thanks!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0nXUgFjWY

I haven't really played any more AC recently but god drat I can't stop listening to the old soundtracks and reprises and honestly I'm more excited for that in AC6 than anything

The AC1 garage theme as a bridge mid-way through this one owns

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Muscle Tracer posted:

I will counter this by saying there is no story and the events are super anemic. The combat loop is indeed very cool but the strategic map really doesn't add very much to the game at all.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Did I miss anyone wanting tags? If I did I am so sorry, let me know.
Yes please - if I could get a Karasawa Mode one! Thanks. :)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Phrosphor posted:

I will counter this by saying there is no story and the events are super anemic. The combat loop is indeed very cool but the strategic map really doesn't add very much to the game at all.

Yeah I can endorse this. The game is pretty mid, feels more like a beta than a full release even though it is supposedly 1.0. It's one of those things that feels super promising for the first two hours, and then peters out JUST as you hit the no-more-refunds window and never recovers.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 9, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6vg4jMvhY

I wonder what happened to the composer of the AC games, the soundtracks are so drat unique.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ulio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6vg4jMvhY

I wonder what happened to the composer of the AC games, the soundtracks are so drat unique.

They're head of sound design at From now iirc

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

they're credited as a sound designer for every from soft game since dark souls 2 except for bloodborne, déraciné, and monster hunter diary: poka poka airou village DX

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly you kinda picked the most basic of the stuff he's done, Hoshino's gone way weirder in a lot of ways, guy never stopped evolving and changing his sound.

Part of a longer vid, but the hoshino bit itself is timestamped here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6UfiVuYkUU&t=920s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ShadowMar posted:

they're credited as a sound designer for every from soft game since dark souls 2 except for bloodborne, déraciné, and monster hunter diary: poka poka airou village DX

bloodborne has the best sound design of any game ever made. which person did that?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Satsuki111RT/status/1634533282938494980

https://twitter.com/Satsuki111RT/status/1243531422456934401

https://twitter.com/Satsuki111RT/status/1636913574726475780

Man, I got a pretty good grasp of AC control but I sure as hell wouldn't be able to take a shot at no hit challenges. drat.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 18, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Looks like it's done with a Human Plus build, which seems like it'd make things a little less soul-killing, but yeah. That's very impressive.

Apparently, it took over 30,000 sorties to reach that level of skill.

...Realizing that's the kind of monster that'll be loose in AC6 multiplayer does make my stomach drop, but on the upside, the learning cliff for Armored Core tends to be steep enough at the start that there should be much more prey than apex predators early on.

Still. Going to be interesting to see how that goes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

chiasaur11 posted:

I pretty much abandoned being nimble for that generation, barring special circumstances. Switched over to a clunker with the biggest gun I could find. I won't say that the CR-WBW98LX fixed all my problems... but it did make the arena fights feel tolerable.

The thing that most bugged me about that generation early on, even more than the heat and the cheating AI, was how weak most weapons felt. The game was rebalanced around the dual wielding, so most guns weren't able to kill very well, not even the big weapons like bazookas and rocket launchers. That heavy back cannon helped.

(Oh, and another 'fun' change. Now you lose money when selling parts and can't sell your starting mech. There's enough money that it's not a big deal, but that and the inability to retune parts discourages experimentation.)

I've been busy lately so getting back to Nexus and this is really killing it for me. No matter what I equip I feel like I'm barely tickling things. The machine guns being burst fire now are pretty lame too. AC fights are just tedious now, especially since they all are Human Plus. I'm not sure I really want to finish it lol. I'm not even having a hard time of it or anything (though a few of these in Revolution are pretty rough. gently caress the potshot leapfrog AC lol), it's kind of just dull and a little annoying now.

I've really enjoyed them all up to now though, and it's been interesting to see how they've evolved.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been busy lately so getting back to Nexus and this is really killing it for me. No matter what I equip I feel like I'm barely tickling things. The machine guns being burst fire now are pretty lame too. AC fights are just tedious now, especially since they all are Human Plus. I'm not sure I really want to finish it lol. I'm not even having a hard time of it or anything (though a few of these in Revolution are pretty rough. gently caress the potshot leapfrog AC lol), it's kind of just dull and a little annoying now.

I've really enjoyed them all up to now though, and it's been interesting to see how they've evolved.

If you want to know what got me through the game, the CR-WBW98LX kills almost anything in four or five shots.

Didn't make Nexus fun, but it made fights shorter and less tedious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll grab it if I play through any more, but dang. It's interesting how just a few tweaks throw the whole thing off though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nexus is a wildly different beast in a lot of different ways, a lot of which developed from community involvement. Throughout basically the entire PS2 gen, during the development and release periods, you could see more and more input taken directly from concerns at the time. Mobility gradually got nerfed with each subsequent game (overcorrecting by the time of nexus which got immediately scaled back for the next iterations but hey) quad legs, heavy builds, and treads got gradually more powerful, regular nerfing of rapid fire weaponry like the god rifle/machinegun from 3, lock box size reduction, missile improvements, etc. They even used some tournament winners as inspiration for movement ai and stuff to make fights feel more like fighting a person.

For that era you really can't be heavy on the sustained fire, you'll go a lot farther picking your shots and making sure you don't overextend than you will trying to burst down in a damage race. Stuff like linear rifles are choice for that, an extremely good balance of damage, heat, and muzzle velocity tend to make them good all rounders. As well, the new micro missiles allow for extremely high burst damage potential on heavy single targets (assuming they aren't loaded down with countermeasures) since they all pop off at once, doubly so if you load up on the micro missile extensions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nexus is a wildly different beast in a lot of different ways, a lot of which developed from community involvement. Throughout basically the entire PS2 gen, during the development and release periods, you could see more and more input taken directly from concerns at the time. Mobility gradually got nerfed with each subsequent game (overcorrecting by the time of nexus which got immediately scaled back for the next iterations but hey) quad legs, heavy builds, and treads got gradually more powerful, regular nerfing of rapid fire weaponry like the god rifle/machinegun from 3, lock box size reduction, missile improvements, etc. They even used some tournament winners as inspiration for movement ai and stuff to make fights feel more like fighting a person.

For that era you really can't be heavy on the sustained fire, you'll go a lot farther picking your shots and making sure you don't overextend than you will trying to burst down in a damage race. Stuff like linear rifles are choice for that, an extremely good balance of damage, heat, and muzzle velocity tend to make them good all rounders. As well, the new micro missiles allow for extremely high burst damage potential on heavy single targets (assuming they aren't loaded down with countermeasures) since they all pop off at once, doubly so if you load up on the micro missile extensions.

Of course, that really didn't pay off. Looking at Japanese reception, both sales and fan reception dive-bombed in the Nexus era. It's not even "the hardcore fans loved it, but the more casual fans fell away". Hardcore fans thought that the balance in Nexus and Last Raven multiplayer was garbage.

(Oddly enough, Ninebreaker was eventually thought of as pretty good for multi, even though the single player was shallow).

Speaking more personally, yeah. Nexus's mobility nerfing made those three the only games where I didn't go for speed and agility. It's made more insulting by how easy it is for enemy pilots to fly around. Infinite energy and cooling in games where you barely have any power stands out pretty blatantly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course, that really didn't pay off. Looking at Japanese reception, both sales and fan reception dive-bombed in the Nexus era. It's not even "the hardcore fans loved it, but the more casual fans fell away". Hardcore fans thought that the balance in Nexus and Last Raven multiplayer was garbage.

(Oddly enough, Ninebreaker was eventually thought of as pretty good for multi, even though the single player was shallow).

Speaking more personally, yeah. Nexus's mobility nerfing made those three the only games where I didn't go for speed and agility. It's made more insulting by how easy it is for enemy pilots to fly around. Infinite energy and cooling in games where you barely have any power stands out pretty blatantly.

Lol god drat it I knew I wasn't going to get an overheat on them off

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol god drat it I knew I wasn't going to get an overheat on them off

You can overheat some of your opponents, I think. I'm only sure of one of them being totally immune to heat, and I know the cheats are turned off in the arena rematches, but there's a lot of cheating going on with your opponents in that generation, even compared to the usual.

Fighting Zinaida in the last mission and in the arena is night and day.

(Oh, unrelated trivia item. The first Armored Core with online multiplayer? Another Age, for the PS2. Japan only, but it was a heck of a selling point for the expansion pack.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's still funny to think that my very first exposure to Armored Core, as a Nintendo kid, was Tips and Tricks

They even went through the series over the years lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

For most of your standard AC opponents in the Nexus era, you can absolutely make use of heat, to the point that it can heavily cripple some encounters. It's one of the reasons that linear rifles are so good.

Sniper rifles are technically king poo poo through that era but are a lot harder to use, and aren't nearly as heat dominant.