Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1632799515999625216

that's how it works. if you beat up the owner of a company, that's your company now

howard hughes speed run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Cabbit posted:

naturally, apartheid clyde thinks the opposite is true

Zamujasa posted:

this website is so brittle (sigh)

Nessus posted:

new thread title i think

the 'pos > [MUSK] this website is so brittle (sigh)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Nessus posted:

oh so musk acted directly in favor of the thief? interesting

i think you mean concerning

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Nessus posted:

elon steals all his memes, no surprise that he sides with the thief

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

that's how it works. if you beat up the owner of a company, that's your company now
Twitter city ransom

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Zamujasa posted:

stealing content wholesale and then providing a link back to the content is not, in fact, a magic way out of copyright/fair use

though lol that musk banned the original poster and told the lovely reposter not to worry

what part of the dmca deals with "i ban a copyright holder in response to their dmca complaint about someone posting their copyrighted works without permission, and also i accuse the copyright holder of blackmailing the infringer"

because it sounds like musk's actions here exclude him / twitter from the dmca's safe harbor provisions, to me

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Chris Knight posted:

Twitter city ransom

:discourse::drat:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Zamujasa posted:

oh absolutely, and in a sane world it would end with the bozo who stole it getting a temporary suspension / having to delete the tweet

instead we have the man himself stepping and banning the original poster lol

I mean, what's next? Is Musk going to have Twitter just stop responding to DMCA takedown requests?

(This photographer should already have grounds to sue Twitter for this.)

But lol, apparently Twitter's already being sued by someone else:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.871703/gov.uscourts.cacd.871703.1.0.pdf
https://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/cacdce/2:2022cv09462/871703

And it looks like Twitter have hired Quinn Emmanuel, which is the law firm Alex Spiro works for, and also part of Musk's representation when he was trying to wriggle out of buying Twitter. (Alex Spiro being the guy who defended Musk when he called the cave diver a pedophile).

Now I'm not a lawyer or anything, but it looks to me like Twitter failed to respond to the court summons, then scrambled to find legal representation, and just went with the guys who previously represented Musk personally.

Which sounds maybe about right for what we'd expect given that Musk seems to have fired most/all of Twitter's own lawyers.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ryde posted:

edit: Musk has never had to work on a system that couldn't fit on a single host and so doesn't know how to properly develop distributed systems, but is not smart enough to realize he needs to learn.

is this even a distributed systems thing? loving around with single-host apis can just as easily break things if you’re a moron

Grace Baiting posted:

what part of the dmca deals with "i ban a copyright holder in response to their dmca complaint about someone posting their copyrighted works without permission, and also i accuse the copyright holder of blackmailing the infringer"

it’s the part about how it doesn’t apply to rich people that’s implicitly part of every law

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

Twitter city ransom

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol amazing
https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/1632519773203447808

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nessus posted:

the photo owner's account is suspended now

Musk absolutely ordered someone to ban that guy

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i cant believe the deep state woke mind virus would destroy twitter from the inside like this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i make a buck
boss loses $44,000,000,000
that's why i guard him while he poops on company time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

dunno how much you'd have to pay me to not only be ready to take a bullet for elon musk but also have to stand outside the shitter while he posts excruciatingly badly on twitter and gasses me with his turds

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'd tweet his assassination coordinates while he was on the shitter

has he sued the nfl for showing him at the superbowl yet

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

The change in question was part of a project to shut down free access to the Twitter API, Platformer can now confirm. On February 1, the company announced it will no longer support free access to its API, which effectively ended the existence of third-party clients and dramatically limited outside researchers’ ability to study the network. The company has been building a new, paid API for developers to work with.

But in a sign of just how deep Elon Musk’s cuts to the company have been, only one site reliability engineer has been staffed on the project, we’re told. On Monday, the engineer made a “bad configuration change” that “basically broke the Twitter API,” according to a current employee.

The change had cascading consequences inside the company, bringing down much of Twitter’s internal tools along with the public-facing APIs. On Slack, engineers responded with variations of “crap” and “Twitter is down – the entire thing” as they scrambled to fix the problem.

[...]

And with few knowledgeable workers on hand to restore service, it took Twitter all morning to fix the problem. “This is what happens when you fire 90 percent of the company,” another current employee says.

Inside Twitter’s HQ, however, the mood was almost light. “We’re laughing all the way down,” says a different current employee.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
big major t. j. kong energy here

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
gentlemen, we found the load-bearing SRE

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

dunno how much you'd have to pay me to not only be ready to take a bullet for elon musk but also have to stand outside the shitter while he posts excruciatingly badly on twitter and gasses me with his turds

you could just say you'd take a bullet for him but then when the bullet comes not jump in front of it

what's he gonna do about it

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cat Face Joe posted:

the dudes most likely to be dumb enough to think they could inherit twitter by shanking him are probably all people he would wave his bodyguards off for

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
are we atthe point now that if twitter went down it wouldnt be able to get back up

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wild EEPROM posted:

are we atthe point now that if twitter went down it wouldnt be able to get back up

thats what the ivf is for.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i make a buck
boss loses $44,000,000,000
that's why i guard him while he poops on company time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

no access? api, fees!

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 6, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You know what's better than 1 SRE? No SRE. How many lines do they even submit to GitHub?

Betting the SRE was fired and Musk will drag in somebody from Tesla who specializes in computer vision.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You know what's better than 1 SRE? No SRE. How many lines do they even submit to GitHub?

Betting the SRE was fired and Musk will drag in somebody from Tesla who specializes in computer vision.

only 1 explosion per 100,000km, that's five 9s of reliability

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/1632843191773716481

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rekt

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

musk def told hr to give quiet firing a try

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grace Baiting posted:

because it sounds like musk's actions here exclude him / twitter from the dmca's safe harbor provisions, to me

so I was going down the “was he linking to something already on twitter” path because by posting something you made yourself on Twitter:

quote:

By submitting, posting or displaying Content on or through the Services, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods now known or later developed (for clarity, these rights include, for example, curating, transforming, and translating). This license authorizes us to make your Content available to the rest of the world and to let others do the same. You agree that this license includes the right for Twitter to provide, promote, and improve the Services and to make Content submitted to or through the Services available to other companies, organizations or individuals for the syndication, broadcast, distribution, Retweet, promotion or publication of such Content on other media and services, subject to our terms and conditions for such Content use. Such additional uses by Twitter, or other companies, organizations or individuals, is made with no compensation paid to you with respect to the Content that you submit, post, transmit or otherwise make available through the Services as the use of the Services by you is hereby agreed as being sufficient compensation for the Content and grant of rights herein.

this is pretty normal verbiage for social media companies because social media can’t work otherwise

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol jeez that clause is literally "we pay you in exposure!" :shepface:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

lmao he replied

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/1632915201652662276 lol

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I thought I couldn't get any more annoyed by the guy and yet here we are

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
jesus christ that guy. "look how polished i got your boots!"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

neosloth posted:

I thought I couldn't get any more annoyed by the guy and yet here we are

maybe he's setting up a figma balls?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Midjack posted:

maybe he's setting up a figma balls?

Yeah the thought crossed my mind

I feel like there's also a non zero possibility that he doesnt know what figma is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that guy seems like a legitimately good person

i'm guessing he can steamroll elon too lol