Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

What do you hate about it?

99% of my problems went away when I disabled QuickStart+. Yeah the TV takes 20 seconds to start rather than whatever it was before, but all the weird software glitches went away. (QS+ suspends apps rather than a fresh boot, and I guess there are memory leaks in them.)

I suppose it's more the way it's set up by LG than that it's WebOS. I unplugged it from the network within a day because it kept displaying alerts about stuff I didn't care about. The remote is annoying, I don't care for the pointer stuff. I hooked up a Roku and run everything through that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Heh wasn't trying to defend the honour of webOS, just was hoping I could make your life easier. Yeah the popups/ads at the start are annoying (but have never interrupted me actually using the thing.) I like using the LG/webOS Netflix/Plex/Crave apps because they're generally less fussy and support 4K content.

But I do have an Nvidia Shield Pro as a backup for the odd thing that doesn't play well on the LG/webOS Plex app. The TV apps have been okay. The biggest fuckup when I bought a TV from the last 12 years was that the PS5 Plex app was hosed and no signs of it being fixed for over 1.5 years. But using the TV app also uses a hell of a lot less power.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

what's grabbing you about it? i am considering alternatives because pixel doesn't come here officially but one plus does

any comments about the camera specifically would be great

Hmm, I'll try to put this into Pros and Cons form otherwise I'll get too word-sallady.

Pros:
-It has incredible battery life compared to my Pixel 7 Pro. I'm easily ending my work days with a solid 20-25% more battery life. I didn't charge it for 38 hours, had 8 hours of screen-on time, and it finally reached 10%. The included wired charger filled it in 27 minutes (I timed it because I've never had a really fast charging phone)
-I think the camera is Good. Not Great*, but Good. Most of the pictures I've taken are sharp with pleasing colors. Not too exaggerated with commendable dynamic range.
-The fingerpint reader appears to be much better than the Pixel 7P's. I guess I had adapted to the pixels scanner, but switching to the OP11 I could immediately tell the difference. It is instantaneous and I don't think I've had a rejected scan yet in the last 5 days. My Pixel would do some funky stuff where even though I had always-on display on, and it was showing the fingerprint scanner icon, it wouldn't actually read my fingerprint until I hit the power button to wake the screen. I don't know if that was just an oddity with my phone (I think it may have been). The OnePlus scanner is always ready when I pick it up, and always fast. It does require a PIN unlock every 72 hours though, which is fine.
-I actually like the OS*. There are some nice built in customization options. Don't like the shape of the icons or colors in the settings screen or page transitions? They can all be changed. It runs just as smoothly as my Pixel.
-It might actually run smoother than the Pixel in some instances. I found scrolling on the Pixel in certain apps like the Awful app and Twitter kind of cumbersome. It felt like the scrolling was inconsistent and if I wanted to scroll many pages down, my thumb would get a workout.
-This is extremely nitpicky and people will make fun of me, but I am so not a fan of the Pixel's edge-mounted display. It feels like tapping on plastic as there's a void behind the screen. When the Pixel 6 came out there were a bunch of Reddit posts about its screen feeling "cheap" or "hollow" and I thought it was bullshit, but it's something I noticed coming from Samsumg phones that, like OnePlus, use a mid-frame mounted display. It feels solid underneath, I can only describe this as "premium feeling". The screen curve is on the level of the Pixel 7 Pro, which is to say, perfectly fine in my book. My last OnePlus phone was the 7 Pro, a phone I loved, but it has very prominent curves on the edge of the screen, which today just feel awful.

Cons:
-Starting from my last point, the way in which the Pixel has mounted its display also makes screen replacements incredibly easy. I believe this was a factor in their design decision. I personally have never had a screen replaced, so this did not really effect me.
-There are some Pixel specific things in software that I like but aren't available on OnePlus; specifically Call Screening and the always-on song recognition software which are features that I really like on the Pixels.
-The OP11 camera is what I'd consider Good Enough. I don't take a lot of pictures of people, mostly pictures of "things" and landscapes. The OP11 does this great in dim to good lighting. But the Pixel will take great photos of things and landscapes and people almost every time. The Pixel Pro also has the benefit of a real telephoto lens. I think the inclusion of only a 2x optical zoom on the OnePlus is my biggest gripe with it. Also, in extreme low light the OnePlus can't match Googles Night Sight magic. The pictures it does take in low light look pretty good on a phone display, but when you start zooming or pixel peeping, you can see where the OnePlus software falls short. You can tell there's a lot of noise reduction going on as it will bump the ISO way up, then try to smooth out the noise. The Pixel 7/7 Pro is still probably the best camera on the market for Android.
-There is no wireless charging. It's something I can live with, but I kind of liked just plopping my phone down on a little stand and letting it slow charge at night. That being said, the included OnePlus charger is so fast, and the battery life so good, I think I can live without it.
-OnePlus has promised 4 years of OS updates and, unfortunately, bi-monthly security patch updates. I have my reservations on how this will pan out in the long run which might be of concern if you want to keep the phone 3....4 years down the road.

Neither a pro nor con: I've found the 4G/5G reception as well as call quality to be excellent on both. No complaints in that department.

Ah well that was still a bunch of word salad.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 5, 2023

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

eXXon posted:

Mint Mobile has a Pixel 7 bundle for $289 ($199 phone, $90 for 4 GB/month x 6 month plan, 6 months extra if you port in).

How is mint mobile?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

sailormoon posted:

How is mint mobile?

I was generally happy with Mint. Used them for quite a while but switched to US Mobile on their Verizon network as it just worked better where I live and work. Mint uses T-Mobile, so if T-Mobile works good in your neck of the woods, it is a viable option. I liked their app and customer service. MVNO rules apply; you might not be able to stream hd video if that's important to you. I don't think Mint has the best hotspot service either. Still, it was nice when I used them to just pay upfront and not have to worry about it for 6 months. It felt like a a great financial move. And it was I guess. I'd get 6 months of decent cell service for what some people pay for 3 months postpaid.

Here's the Prepaid thread where you could probably find more about Mint and other MVNO's.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the breakdown! Really insightful and pushes me away from the OnePlus a bit tbh (mostly the camera issues), but I appreciate it nonetheless!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If you have Mint you get a Christmas card from Ryan Reynolds.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Every time I think of popping my SIM into one of my other devices to drive for a bit (this time it was going to be the OnePlus 11) I take a look at recent calls and see how many Google has cast into the screened SPAM abyss and I get cold feet.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

OnePlus 11 battery life:

Moderate usage

Light usage over the weekend.

I think this bodes very well for Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the battery life of the OnePlus 11 and the S23U are pretty crazy. Honestly, I got pretty close to the same on the OnePlus 10T as well so the SD8+ Gen 1 stuff is pretty solid across the board too. Both are just huge leaps over the SD8 Gen 1 released early last year.

This is one of those weird situations where I want to use either of those devices for my every day phone due to the battery life while at the same time not finding the battery life in the 7 Pro to be insufficient.

Like, I could probably end the day on the 11 or the S23U at 56% where I would be down to 30% on the 7 Pro. So, it FEELS better to end the day with more battery, but it's not going to change my phone use behavior or anything. There are some edge cases where I would find having that much battery useful like traveling or something, though I would be hesitant to go with the OP11 on a vacation due to not wanting to have anything but the best camera with me.

Where the OP11 does change behavior a bit is that longevity combined with the fast charging. It's pretty much a "use it until it's down to like 20% or so (or I'm about to go somewhere) and then charge it for 15 minutes" which really means it's being charged for 15 minutes every 30 hours or so. I'm actually tempted to get the supervooc car charger so it literally becomes a situation where I could leave the house at any state of charge and be full by the time I get pretty much anywhere.

One side note, I feel like the OP11 is the perfect size. Same screen size as the Pixel 7 pro, but the 2.5mm difference in width is something you can really feel when you are holding the device. 20.1:9 ratio FTW vs 19.5:9

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've had battery anxiety pretty much with most of my smartphones except the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and the Pixel 5. To various degrees of course.

My Pixel 3 in its second year had me worried about battery life especially on my honeymoon, where we could be out for most of the day snapping photos etc. and it was touch and go to not get home on empty.

Similar thing to my trip to Rome last month with my Pixel 7. Think I might reset it after the next feature drop and see if that makes any difference.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The only thing that seems to really hit my battery hard is Android Auto. But even with that I think I stayed over 20% on a roughly 250 mile round trip last Friday.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've had battery anxiety pretty much with most of my smartphones except the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and the Pixel 5. To various degrees of course.

My Pixel 3 in its second year had me worried about battery life especially on my honeymoon, where we could be out for most of the day snapping photos etc. and it was touch and go to not get home on empty.

Similar thing to my trip to Rome last month with my Pixel 7. Think I might reset it after the next feature drop and see if that makes any difference.

Going from a Pixel 3 to a 5 was noticeable battery anxiety whiplash for me. I was charging my Pixel 3 without fail every night, and it would be at ~25-30% after about 13-14 hours off the charger with moderate use (like no more than an hour and a half SOT). Basically any deviation from my normal day to day routine left me wondering if it would keep up. Right now my 5 has 48% remaining and says it's good for another 20 hours. I started the day (after my drive in plugged into AA) at 70% at 6:15 this morning. With my new slightly longer commute, I might not plug in the 5 at home at all aside from the weekend.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I thought I was going to have battery anxiety with my Pixel 7 Pro on my trip to Universal Studios last month due to picture taking and lovely signal going in and out of buildings, but it turned out to be a non-issue (it certainly was with the Pixel 6 Pro last year with Disney.)

Under that circumstance, I might have taken the S23U if I would have had it already, but I wasn't going to take the S22U due to knowing that it really didn't do better on battery than the P7P and I still really wasn't fond of the photo output of that device.

I only had one instance with the P7P since I got it where I was going to have to die on me before the end of the day and I needed to top off.

But that's the thing, if the events are few and far between and are special, it's easy enough to plan around. It's hard giving up the day to day features of the Pixel just so I have some extra battery life the 3 or so times I would need it in a year.

This is usually why my phone tourism only lasts a week or so at a time most of the time (the OnePlus 8 Pro and 9 Pro were the big exceptions to that.)

I finally got my OnePlus cases today though, so I'm at the point where I may switch over for a bit. It's just bugging the poo poo out of me that the Device Controls are still broken and that's been an issue since I first got the 10t last year.

Edit:

One observation, I saw at least two separate instances of Z Fold use while I was at universal (saw one at Disney last year.) It's still interesting to run across someone using a foldable in the wild.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 6, 2023

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
all these battery life critiques are weird because my pixel 7 pro has never went below 50% even after a day of heavy usage

but I was coming from a pixel 2xl which was running off fumes when I upgraded so maybe my battery saving usage/settings are super effective on the p7p

I also don't play games or live on tiktok which might be a big reason why the battery never drops

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BoosterDuck posted:

all these battery life critiques are weird because my pixel 7 pro has never went below 50% even after a day of heavy usage

It's why all battery comparisons are hard to do because it's all down to usage and what apps. The best you can do is run certain synthetic tests to see how the hardware compares like for like.

We know, empirically, that the P7P display isn't very efficient compared to modern displays and that 5nm Samsung manufacturing process isn't the best (though it's apparently better than the disaster that was the 4nm Samsung process.)

It's becoming very clear that the Google really is optimizing for tensor though because outside of things that just run on raw horsepower like games and CPU bound benchmarks, Tensor 2 does VERY well against the SD8 Gen 2 on many tasks.

I found the benchmarks in this review pretty interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO738qXFN_o

You can see the P7P gets destroyed in the Geekbench CPU tests. Solidly at the bottom.

But take a look at the Lumafusion UHD render test. P7P beats out the OP11 for the top score. Same goes for the Lumafusion Transcode test and the trim test. Then you swing over to Google Photos and the 7 Pro trails again (but not as much as the raw CPU scores suggest it should). The 7 pro doesn't show dominance again in other other tests, but for the most part it's a very slim margin where its behind.

It's just not great on a performance per watt perspective and the P7P is not a gaming phone due to raw GPU power being behind.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Meanwhile my Pixel 7 is on the wireless charger often throughout the day and it's still close to 50% by bedtime usually. My first guess for biggest culprit would be my near-nonexistent cell signal.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
edited: returned it.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 8, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Was feeling very smug about getting $800 for trading in my moto g power 2020 (got it new for $200 in a google fi deal almost 3 years ago) towards a s23+ right up until I had to pay sales tax on the full value of the phone

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Delta app (which sucks and I will delete ASAP) hijacks screen brightness and sets it to max basically everywhere, not just when viewing a boarding pass/QR code. Is there any way to ban all apps from doing this poo poo?

mastershakeman posted:

$800 for trading in my moto g power 2020

Best Buy or a carrier?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Weird, I just flew Delta last month and that wasn't the observed behavior for me.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ah, correction. It's the Today tab when you have flights. Granted there are tickets on the sections with flights but the Arrival entry doesn't even have anything to scan and it's still blindingly bright.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
though i only just sold my pixel 7 last month (for a profit after the junk trade in i got for it), here i am, thinking of getting an s23 base model.

my current, and for the first time in a long while only, phone is an iphone 13 pro max. i’m mostly tempted for the smol phone factor, as my 13pm feels like a brick. i do like the idea of better low light pictures, bit i’m wary of the slower shutter speed that my wife sees on her s22u.

any complaints/buyer’s remorse from s23 havers itt? any new scandals of batteries exploding or camera arrays shattering?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've always been anti-case but I nearly ordered a dbrand skin just now until I realized the pricing was in USD. Are there any other companies that offer anything similar? I dont want the bulk, just something to cover the dreary blandness that is the gray of the pixel 6

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

though i only just sold my pixel 7 last month (for a profit after the junk trade in i got for it), here i am, thinking of getting an s23 base model.

my current, and for the first time in a long while only, phone is an iphone 13 pro max. i’m mostly tempted for the smol phone factor, as my 13pm feels like a brick. i do like the idea of better low light pictures, bit i’m wary of the slower shutter speed that my wife sees on her s22u.

any complaints/buyer’s remorse from s23 havers itt? any new scandals of batteries exploding or camera arrays shattering?

The base S23 is not going to have better low light pictures then a 13 Pro Max.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The base S23 is not going to have better low light pictures then a 13 Pro Max.

at this point phone pictures are largely subjective but the comparisons i saw the s23 had more visible lowlight pictures of scenes than the 14, or at least i preferred the s23’s performance to the 14 in that comparison

also possible that i wrongly assume the 14 line takes better lowlight pictures than the 13 line

when i did the mqbhd picture survey i actually had the 14 pro in the bottom three of my lowlight performance lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Subjective vs qualitative.

S23 produces brighter output at the expense of detail. It's all about what you would rather have.

At the end of the day, it has a much smaller sensor than the 13 Pro and cannot gather as much light.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

I've always been anti-case but I nearly ordered a dbrand skin just now until I realized the pricing was in USD. Are there any other companies that offer anything similar? I dont want the bulk, just something to cover the dreary blandness that is the gray of the pixel 6

I put Spigen Liquid Air cases on my Pixel 6 and the Pixel 6a that I got for my Dad. No bulk, better grippiness, and I think they look nice. Got black for mine (because I'm a gothy edgelord) and green for my Dad's.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Say what you will about OnePlus, they have the best OEM cases by a huge margin. Minimal, functional, attractive, and fit perfectly.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

eXXon posted:

The Delta app (which sucks and I will delete ASAP) hijacks screen brightness and sets it to max basically everywhere, not just when viewing a boarding pass/QR code. Is there any way to ban all apps from doing this poo poo?

Best Buy or a carrier?

Verizon, deal ended yesterday

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Not sure if this question belongs here or in the WearOS thread - I'm thinking of swimming laps a few times a week to help improve my fitness. What would be a good watch to wear to keep track of fitness/workout stats, that can survive laps in a pool?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

First and foremost, understand that no wearable manufacturer warranties for water damage and that water testing is done with plain old water. Seals and speaker coverings degrade over time, salt and chlorine can accelerate the degradation of those things, and it's not impossible that you may eventually have water damage that won't be covered under any warranty.

The Galaxy Watch 4 and 5 have swim tracking workouts and are 5ATM rated which SHOULD make them ok for swimming, but see above caveat.

Personally, I would only trust Garmin watches for regular use under a situation like this (or a cheap fitbit like a Charge 5) if for no other reason than they are doing it longer and they don't have a speaker which is an entry point. From a rating perspective, it's exactly the same as the Watch 4/5 and the Apple Watch Ultra so they should all be equal.

For that matter, even the Pixel Watch is 5ATM and Fitbit has a Swimming tracking activity.

So, they are designed to be able to handle it when new and assembled right. Pull on any of those threads and the device may die and you will have no recourse to have it covered under warranty.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Not sure if this question belongs here or in the WearOS thread - I'm thinking of swimming laps a few times a week to help improve my fitness. What would be a good watch to wear to keep track of fitness/workout stats, that can survive laps in a pool?

If you don't need WearOS I've been pretty happy with my Fitbit Charge 5. As a bonus, battery life is 6-7days.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I got someone's spare Charge 5 and discovered today that you can't turn it off. Interesting. Anyway, thoughts on selected cases:

Ringke Fusion X - seems protective thanks to extra corner padding. The X looks stupid so I hope it's functional. Side grooves don't add as much grip as I hoped. Clear back is a fingerprint magnet and not very grippy.

Spigen Rugged Armor - the material feels slipperier and the deeper side grooves don't seem to help. I gather I should have tried the Tough Armor instead.

Simtect Shockproof Translucent - surprisingly nice for a random brand I'd never heard of. The material feels good and has some grip despite not having any texture on the sides or back. Fingerprints are less obvious on the translucent back than a clear one. As an added bonus it's Amazon's #1 Best Seller in Automotive Replacement Ignition Systems & Kits.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been happy with the Caseology Parallax series on both my P4a5g and P7P. Not too bulky while still providing adequate protection. Grip feels secure with a combination of the 3D honeycomb and the rough grip texture areas. Also generally has colors available other than the typical black (I use the sage green).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Well I bonused out at work today so I picked up an S23 after watching a bunch of reviews.

First impressions are great. I haven't had a small Samsung phone since my first, the S7. Feels incredibly nice, size and weight and materials-wise. The fact that the battery can get 7+ hours SOT in this footprint is great.

I forgot to check my storage count before setup, but after I downloaded my apps I have used 47gb of my 256gb pool, so data inflation not hitting me too hard. Still need to spend some time decluttering the pre-installed stuff, but that's all of five minutes.

My Spigen Liquid Air gets here tomorrow. Excited to use this thing more. Overall it feels nicer than the Pixel 7 I offloaded earlier this year, but that do be subjective.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The only thing that seems to really hit my battery hard is Android Auto. But even with that I think I stayed over 20% on a roughly 250 mile round trip last Friday.

This is honestly why I just do wired Android Auto. I also find it to be more relible of a connection.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of wired Android Auto, I've noticed that sometimes (maybe just in our Pacifica) my phone doesn't charge while connected, even if it's at like 60% battery. I don't drive our Cruze as often, but the couple of times I have since I noticed this, it hasn't happened with that vehicle. Is this a cable thing? Like is not reasonable for the charging part of the cable to get flaky but the data part to be fine?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bull3964 posted:

First and foremost, understand that no wearable manufacturer warranties for water damage and that water testing is done with plain old water. Seals and speaker coverings degrade over time, salt and chlorine can accelerate the degradation of those things, and it's not impossible that you may eventually have water damage that won't be covered under any warranty.

The Galaxy Watch 4 and 5 have swim tracking workouts and are 5ATM rated which SHOULD make them ok for swimming, but see above caveat.

Personally, I would only trust Garmin watches for regular use under a situation like this (or a cheap fitbit like a Charge 5) if for no other reason than they are doing it longer and they don't have a speaker which is an entry point. From a rating perspective, it's exactly the same as the Watch 4/5 and the Apple Watch Ultra so they should all be equal.

For that matter, even the Pixel Watch is 5ATM and Fitbit has a Swimming tracking activity.

So, they are designed to be able to handle it when new and assembled right. Pull on any of those threads and the device may die and you will have no recourse to have it covered under warranty.

withoutclass posted:

If you don't need WearOS I've been pretty happy with my Fitbit Charge 5. As a bonus, battery life is 6-7days.

I totally forgot about FitBit as a thing. Thank you both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

hooah posted:

Speaking of wired Android Auto, I've noticed that sometimes (maybe just in our Pacifica) my phone doesn't charge while connected, even if it's at like 60% battery. I don't drive our Cruze as often, but the couple of times I have since I noticed this, it hasn't happened with that vehicle. Is this a cable thing? Like is not reasonable for the charging part of the cable to get flaky but the data part to be fine?

The phone might be getting too hot. If you've got it mounted somewhere in direct sunlight it can heat up real quick and the phone will stop charging to protect itself.
For wired android auto you typically are limited to the bare minimum usb spec of .5amps and some phones may just drain faster while in use.