Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Furman trying to seriously piss away their and the Southern’s chances of doing anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Iowa Men’s Basketball: embarrassing second loss this season to Nebraska

Iowa Women’s Basketball: incredibly sick logo 3s and a 37 point halftime lead over OSU

edit: and that is not an exaggeration

https://twitter.com/hawkeyesmic/status/1632514686632574981?s=46&t=B5SwcjB_LjsdkXuNUgRfjA

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

elentar posted:

Furman trying to seriously piss away their and the Southern’s chances of doing anything

They managed to not piss it away. Michigan on the other hand was pissing it away, then wasn’t, and is now back to is.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Caitlin going full Russ with the rebound-hunting is almost as fun as Caitlin going full Steph

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
lol michigan finds the funniest ways to choke in the final few minutes, it's impressive at this point

and "choke" is overused, but it's appropriate for the comedy of ways michigan keeps losing

so at least they lose funny

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

There might also be some big ten tournament seeding on the line although i haven't been following that anymore and can't watch the game live tonight anyway, but please mark me down today as an official Enemy of Rutgers Athletics for one evening.

This is the most insane seeding battle I’ve ever seen

https://twitter.com/thebstiles/status/1632532848652570624?s=46&t=B5SwcjB_LjsdkXuNUgRfjA

edit: also if Rutgers beats Northwestern the 8/9 game is a Northwester/Rutgers rematch

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Caitlyn Clark loving owns

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Rutgers just hasn't been a good team since Mag got hurt. This is pathetic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The scoreboard is smoking, which is incredibly ironic given how the last 10 minutes of this game has gone

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
hahaha McNeese State just parlayed their incredibly dubious Southland hosting privilege into a win over top seed TAMUCC. go on Cowboys

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Buie has zero points and Rutgers is losing LOL

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

How much of that is just being a school in Georgia that's not Tech, Emory or an HBCU?

Cobb is slightly blue these days, but Cherokee and other 3rd wave white flight counties are right there.

Plus it's been a trendy school for southern Georgia students, who want to be around Atlanta but not *in* Atlanta with all those minorities. And who can't made the grade for Tech or Emory.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mcmagic posted:

Rutgers just hasn't been a good team since Mag got hurt. This is pathetic.

I'm kinda bummed that Michigan-Rutgers on Thursday is basically a play-out game

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

I'm kinda bummed that Michigan-Rutgers on Thursday is basically a play-out game

Don't worry, you'll win. Rutgers is completely out of gas.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

no starts tomorrow, just two finals, but both with a lot to recommend them: the Southern at 7 PM, where Furman struggled mightily but got past Western Carolina in OT and will now play 7-seed Chattanooga, who is surging after getting 7-footer and legit inside-outside threat Jake Stephens back from injury. then there's also the Sun Belt at 7 PM; no idea why they couldn't stagger these starts, at least if i have them right this time. the Sun Belt got a little goofy seed-wise so it's 2-seed Louisiana against 8-seed South Alabama, though the numbers between them are a complete wash. also i'm not sure i've ever seen a conference lock down kenpom real estate quite like this (note this was before today's games):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 6, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i love my northwestern wildcats

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Buie has zero points and Rutgers is losing LOL

got owned by the guy with the cletus haircut

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lessail posted:

i know somewhere else it has been proven possible to win at :smith:

Man i thought it'd be different this year for you guys

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/NUMensBball/status/1632591642858250241

gently caress northwestern for giving the most annoying person on twitter a good night

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

a neat cape posted:

Man i thought it'd be different this year for you guys

maybe in 5 years

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol, Purdue's first B1G tournament game is against the winner of Rutgers/Michigan, neither of whom we have been able to beat lately aside from a win against Michigan this season. Hope their game goes into sextuple overtime.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Poque posted:

lol, Purdue's first B1G tournament game is against the winner of Rutgers/Michigan, neither of whom we have been able to beat lately aside from a win against Michigan this season. Hope their game goes into sextuple overtime.

mgoblog referred to this year's Michigan Basketball team as "If drinking bleach and driving a thousand miles an hour into the ocean was a basketball team", so you might be fine. If it's even remotely close, Michigan will find a very stupid way to lose (airballed 3, pass off the back of a teammate, rando 25% shooter makes a shot).

Sure, there's the 5% chance of some miracle finish for Michigan but uh y'all got Zach Edey.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Koji_Vu/status/1632844750549311488?t=Bd8u-WXkocj3JoAJhHhBBQ&s=19

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Thinking of buying an all session ticket for the Big Ten tournament next year - how realistic is it to buy a nosebleed seat and just move to a better seat at the first media timeout or whatever?

Obviously for the latter games that would be tougher if not impossible, but is it doable on the first few days of the tournament?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I’d say incredibly easy for Wednesday and Thursday and maybe even Friday morning games. You might have some more people than usual because it’ll be the first one in the Twin Cities, but I went to the 2017 B1G tournament in DC. The only real packed game was Friday evening, Maryland against Northwestern.

I recommend it, too. It’s fun to hobnob with other Big 10 basketball sickos, have beers at the game, and bitch about the refs. I remember talking with some strangers that “yup, my dad and I have been to every conference tournament for the last bunch of years. So glad it’s in DC, we’ve been to Kansas City so many times.”

Yup. He was a Nebrasketball fan.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ColdBlooded posted:

Thinking of buying an all session ticket for the Big Ten tournament next year - how realistic is it to buy a nosebleed seat and just move to a better seat at the first media timeout or whatever?

Obviously for the latter games that would be tougher if not impossible, but is it doable on the first few days of the tournament?

You can usually move down to somewhere closer in the upper deck, but you’re not going to get down to the 200s or 100s. I’m not sure how packed the big 10 tournament is, but I’ve been there for the NCAA and there’s usually plenty of seats to be had.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Louisiana advances out of the Fun Belt.

Didn't like their clock management over the last 10 minutes - they quit being aggressive on offense - but they knew how to make shots when they needed. South Alabama doesn't have a chance of dancing, but they would have been a fun team if they did. Isaiah Moore is a hoss.

Furman's gonna make it out of the SoCon. Didn't watch enough of that one to form an opinion.

Hopefully someone will talk about Frank Selvy when Furman's luck runs out in the big tournament. Because nobody talks about Frank Selvy enough.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
At the Superdome for the 2003 SEC Tournament, three friends and I went through the gate and somehow found ourselves following in a line of people and we ended up walking literally to courtside right behind the TV/radio people.

I don’t really remember why we left.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

busy Tuesday, with at least one game running from 11:30 eastern till maybe 2 in the morning.

finals:
  • Horizon, 7PM: Cleveland State dispatched top seed Youngstown State and will play Northern Kentucky for the title. Not much to pick between them: the two split their season series, each winning their home game by a single point
  • Colonial, 7PM: UNC Wilmington beat Hofstra, denying Charleston the chance to revenge one of their few losses, but I don’t think CofC will mind playing a much weaker team (on paper at least)
  • Summit, 9PM: Oral Roberts had a bit of a tough time with St. Thomas but made it through, only North Dakota St. is between them, a 21-0 conference season, and a 12 seed matchup
  • West Coast, 9PM: it’s Gonzaga v. St. Mary’s, what a shock. seeding and the season series on the line, not much else, but they always go at each other hard

starting today:

the Atlantic 10 is down this year, almost certainly a one-bid year for the first time since 2005, not even really any candidates for a bid for the first time in the 64-team era. VCU kinda seems like their numbers should be better, and for sure they would get a higher seed than anyone else coming through the A10, but there’s not much to separate their profile from Dayton. with 15 teams in the mix and none of them so bad they can’t win at least one game, this one could get really messy. all games in Brooklyn.

in the Metro Atlantic Iona is head and shoulders above the conference; they are legitimately dangerous, and you can just imagine the media circus that’ll gather if Pitino can pick up an upset in the NCAAs. difficult to know exactly how good they are since they haven’t really been tested but they picked up a lot of steam over the course of the year. conference doesn’t have much else to offer, a mediocre Quinnipiac would be the next best team. all games in Atlantic City, baby.

the Big West is wide open, no dominant teams but you could easily imagine any of the top 7 seeds getting hot enough to sweep through. UCs Irvine or Santa Barbara probably have the best chance of causing trouble for high seeds, but i’m pulling at least a little for Riverside to finally break through to the NCAA field. all games are in the Las Vegas Dollar Loan Center, which seems like a pretty big tell.

the WAC is easily the best they’ve been since almost the entire conference swapped out in 2014, and maybe the best since a bunch of their members left for the CUSA in 2005. unlike every other conference, the WAC seeds by resume through a formula they developed with Pomeroy, so Sam Houston St. is the one seed despite Utah Valley having a one-game lead in the standings. those two are definitely the class of the conference (especially great on defense) though Southern Utah isn’t far behind. all games also in Vegas, but at the comparatively better Michelob Ultra Arena at Mandalay Bay.

finally the ACC, ugh, what a clusterfuck. no teams in the Kenpom top 30 and a profoundly bad lower tier, relegating them to 7th in overall conference strength, and closer to the West Coast in 8th than to the Mountain West in 6th. the league has been profoundly loving stupid this year and it seems nailed on to continue to produce terrible basketball in the ACCT. that said, there is absolutely no predicting this tournament, any of the teams with byes are as likely to drop their first game to a terrible team as they are to win the whole thing. that sort of chaos usually means Duke wins, but Miami’s gotten the job done more often this year, Clemson is possibly resurgent, and Virginia is probably better than their wobble of a couple weeks back. five bids is probably all they get and definitely more than they deserve, but UNC or maybe even Clemson could theoretically play their way in. all games in Greensboro, where they belong.

(starting to hit the conferences that people actually pay attention to during the year now so please correct any of my fuckups and toss in whatever else feels of interest!)

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

elentar posted:

hahaha McNeese State just parlayed their incredibly dubious Southland hosting privilege into a win over top seed TAMUCC. go on Cowboys

That game doesn't happen this evening :confused:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

dirty shrimp money posted:

That game doesn't happen this evening :confused:

yeah I got confused with Texas A&M Commerce, my bad. McNeese has reeled off two unlikely Ws on their home court though and play TAMUCC tonight.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Big Ten awards announced

Edey is player of the year & unanimous 1st team all Big Ten
Collins is coach of the year
Hood-Shafino is freshman of the year and 2nd team all conference
Audige & McConnell co-defensive players of the year

Rest of the 1st team:

Jackson-Davis (unanimous)
Kris Murray
Jalen Pickett
Shannon Jr (Coaches only)
Buie (Media)
Dickinson (Media)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't think Collins is a good coach (assistant coach Chris Lowery is the reason for the turnaround this season) but he is also somehow the best coach in northwestern basketball history.

Thrilled for Buie and Audige, I have no problems with the guys who left to play for actual basketball programs but I'm glad the guys who stuck around were rewarded with the accolades and somehow even though it doesn't feel like it the program's greatest basketball season.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 7, 2023

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Georgia Tech is atrocious at basketball and increasingly most other things

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Louisiana advances out of the Fun Belt.

Didn't like their clock management over the last 10 minutes - they quit being aggressive on offense - but they knew how to make shots when they needed. South Alabama doesn't have a chance of dancing, but they would have been a fun team if they did. Isaiah Moore is a hoss.

Furman's gonna make it out of the SoCon. Didn't watch enough of that one to form an opinion.

Hopefully someone will talk about Frank Selvy when Furman's luck runs out in the big tournament. Because nobody talks about Frank Selvy enough.
Was hoping South would pull that out, hadn't seen much of them until the tourney but yeah they were fun and seem like they've got their athletic department in general moving in a good direction.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay baby it's time to make another run

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

elentar posted:

Georgia Tech is atrocious at basketball and increasingly most other things

neither team should be allowed to advance after that

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Ungratek posted:

neither team should be allowed to advance after that

ACC really leaving a marker even before whatever crimes Louisville and BC will put on view

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Louisville officially finishes the season with 4 wins. Has there been a worse power conference season in recent memory? Or distant memory? Even the worst usually beat their out of conference cupcakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Louisville officially finishes the season with 4 wins. Has there been a worse power conference season in recent memory? Or distant memory? Even the worst usually beat their out of conference cupcakes.

Dude, Iowa State finished 2-22 just two years ago. That included 0 conference wins. It was awful.