Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

When will we get questions about why there isn't a second team in Toronto and one in Hamilton. And also one in Thunder Bay, the best expansion market by math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/senscentral/status/1632766207253430272?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Hawks lineup tonight :staredog:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The salary cap leads to endless expansion, get used to it.

I don't really buy the talent dilution argument, and never have, given the growth of US/International hockey over the past 30-40 years. The AHL and top European teams all have like 6-10 guys per team that could easily play in the NHL, the level of play in those leagues is incredibly high. It would be interesting to see the elite of the elite play against each other more though (*cough* Olympics/World Cup *cough*).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 6, 2023

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
https://twitter.com/mikestrawmedia/status/1632754111593545728

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Their leading scorer is Seth Jones, with 29 points in 52 games. After that, there's five forwards with 21-24 points each in ~60 games, other than Tyler Johnson, who has 22 points in 36 games - good for a 50-point pace over a full season!

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Didn't Kansas City basically tell the NHL "nah we're good" afterwards cause the arena does such good business?

I have vague memories of there also being an issue where the KC arena ownership group that also owned an NHL team elsewhere (I want to say it was the kings), and the league bylaws explicitly forbid teams having a home arena owned by another team

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Koopa Kid posted:

Kyle Dubas: *loads up on a ludicrous amount of defenders to insulate against injury*

Hockey gods:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1632816355664691202?s=20

The Canucks are sorry for murdering all of your players. Please accept this Tyler Myers in restitution*.

*Please note, reading this post confirms your acceptance of this restitution gift. Tyler Myers will be shipped to your home arena. Tyler Myers prefers to eat the tenderest leaves at the tops of the tallest trees, and will thus require access to a public park or green space. No refunds, returns, or substitutions allowed.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Didn't Kansas City basically tell the NHL "nah we're good" afterwards cause the arena does such good business?

They couldn't get their act together to submit a formal bid for expansion (because the NHL wanted too much money) so the league has kinda blackballed them as a result.

At one point they offered the Penguins free rent forever if they moved to Kansas City.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

it's been a tough year for all of buffalo's worst beat reporters and its so wonderful to see

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Since 2000, here are the 110-point seasons

18-10: Kucherov, 128
05-06: Thornton, 125
05-06: Jagr, 123
21-22: McDavid, 123
22-23: McDavid, 122*
00-01: Jagr, 121
06-07: Crosby, 120
00-01: Sakic, 118
18-19: McDavid, 116
21-22: Gaudreau, 115
21-22: Huberdeau, 115
06-07: Thornton, 114
08-09: Malkin, 113
07-08: Ovechkin, 112
09-10: H. Sedin, 112
19-20: Draisaitl, 110
21-22: Draisaitl, 110
18-19: P. Kane, 110
08-09: Ovechkin, 110

McDavid is going to be so far ahead on this list, barring injury. It's ridiculous. He's currently on pace for 156 points.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I don't really buy the talent dilution argument, and never have, given the growth of US/International hockey over the past 30-40 years. The AHL and top European teams all have like 6-10 guys per team that could easily play in the NHL, the level of play in those leagues is incredibly high. It would be interesting to see the elite of the elite play against each other more though (*cough* Olympics/World Cup *cough*).

Very basic stats, but that seems to track.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nationality-totals/nhl-players-1990-91-stats.html

90-91, the last year of the 21 team NHL pre-San Jose had 544 players from Canada for 74% of the league.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nationality-totals/nhl-players-2021-22-stats.html

For the 2021-22 season (so we get final numbers) had only 485 Canadians for 43% of the league.

So without accounting for population growth (Canada has 38 million people now compared to 27.6 in1990), there's almost 3 full teams of NHLers that got cut. And that's just Canadians and not guys from Europe who might come over for more secure jobs.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Last thing these hardened sports journalists need is more competition for the press donuts, gently caress off kid

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lmao my girlfriend broke her foot this morning walking our dog cause ice so I will not be venturing to beautiful Buffalo and instead eating wings at uhhhh my house.

That sucks!!!! There’s always next year, as we like to say here in Buffalo lol

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Kyle Dubas: *loads up on a ludicrous amount of defenders to insulate against injury*

Hockey gods:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1632816355664691202?s=20

Welp, at least that frees room for Knies and Holmberg to try and earn spots. Or just gently caress it, have Wayne Train and Clifford murder people for 20 games. Who cares if they get out scored a billion to one and suspended? The regular season is a foregone conclusion so just don't get important people hurt.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mike Harrington deleted his Tweet from Saturday about the kid doing the PA goal calls after he was dragged for it, and then this came out this morning. Absolutely incredible, we all knew he sucked but this is on another level.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Starsfan posted:

It's going to be so awesome for Texas hockey fans to have an in-state rivalry, Houston and San Antonio have always crushed the attendance numbers for their AHL teams (back when Houston had a team granted) and it's bizarre that the NHL hasn't seriously explored expansion into a metropolitan area of more than 7 million people up to this point.

leslie alexander (former rockets owner) was a huge opponent of an nhl team for some reason. i think houston would have got a team if not for that

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

Orlov got first star of the week in Boston. That rules. I hope he wins a Cup and gets the Conn Smythe somehow too.

He was criminally underrated in Washington so this is no surprise to me. Maybe now he'll be rated.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's four days later and I'm still so annoyed by that Hronek trade.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Spelling Mitsake posted:

lol if Quebec spent half a billion dollars on a 18000 seat arena only for Atlanta to get another team.

Peladeau is french Ballsie or whatever the Blackberry gently caress's name was.

It's not a no for a team in Quebec, its a no for Peladeau to have a team

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

Welp, at least that frees room for Knies and Holmberg to try and earn spots. Or just gently caress it, have Wayne Train and Clifford murder people for 20 games. Who cares if they get out scored a billion to one and suspended? The regular season is a foregone conclusion so just don't get important people hurt.

Sorry, Knies is busy until April 8. And he’s good, but he’s not going to fill a Tavares/ROR sized hole in the lineup.

When will we get questions about why there isn't a second team in Toronto and one in Hamilton. And also one in Thunder Bay, the best expansion market by math.

Thunder Bay would be awesome fun with Winnipeg and Minnesota close, but there’s a ton of cities in North America who would get one first. I’d expect Halifax has more chance of getting one if they’re still expanding, except for the already local team.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jhet posted:

Sorry, Knies is busy until April 8. And he’s good, but he’s not going to fill a Tavares/ROR sized hole in the lineup.

Thunder Bay would be awesome fun with Winnipeg and Minnesota close, but there’s a ton of cities in North America who would get one first. I’d expect Halifax has more chance of getting one if they’re still expanding, except for the already local team.

haha it was a joke. At some point in time Nate Silver lashed out at expansion teams in the USA and said that the optimal places to put a new NHL team was like 3 of them in the GTA, one each in the martimes and Quebec and one in Thunder Bay. It was such a real bad article that I think also said Vegas was a terrible place for a franchise, and well Nate Silver is a moron and just went with it and got roasted a lot.

I wish I could find the article cause it was the perfect encapsulation of Nate Silver.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

haha it was a joke. At some point in time Nate Silver lashed out at expansion teams in the USA and said that the optimal places to put a new NHL team was like 3 of them in the GTA, one each in the martimes and Quebec and one in Thunder Bay. It was such a real bad article that I think also said Vegas was a terrible place for a franchise, and well Nate Silver is a moron and just went with it and got roasted a lot.

I wish I could find the article cause it was the perfect encapsulation of Nate Silver.

Gotcha. It would be absolutely fun. Nate Silver is indeed far too much buried in numbers. Numbers are good, but they're very fallible when it comes to dealing with groups of people to a high accuracy.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Twin Cinema posted:

McDavid is going to be so far ahead on this list, barring injury. It's ridiculous. He's currently on pace for 156 points.

The non-Gretzky, non-Lemieux record is 88-89 Yzerman with 155. I jealously hope he doesn't get it so the record stays with the Red Wings, but 154 would be a fine achievement.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

pseudodragon posted:

Very basic stats, but that seems to track.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nationality-totals/nhl-players-1990-91-stats.html

90-91, the last year of the 21 team NHL pre-San Jose had 544 players from Canada for 74% of the league.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nationality-totals/nhl-players-2021-22-stats.html

For the 2021-22 season (so we get final numbers) had only 485 Canadians for 43% of the league.

So without accounting for population growth (Canada has 38 million people now compared to 27.6 in1990), there's almost 3 full teams of NHLers that got cut. And that's just Canadians and not guys from Europe who might come over for more secure jobs.

Yeah, gently caress the greedy terrible owners but there are so many incredible hockey players in the world.

And it's not like the Canadian level has gotten lower. Of course there's McDavid and then Bedard/Fantilli/Celebrini all look like potential franchise players in addition to the hordes of good NHLers they still produce.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 6, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Yeah, gently caress the greedy terrible owners but there are so many incredible hockey players in the world.

And it's not like the Canadian level has gotten lower. Of course there's McDavid and then Bedard/Fantilli/Celebrini all look like potential franchise players in addition to the hordes of good NHLers they still produce.

The bigger problem is the AHL teams in large markets really. So these are the same owners that already have teams and won’t want to move their secondary team and business. Des Moines is as big as Quebec City, but Minnesota moved the Aeros there and I don’t really see them wanting to give up the market to another NHL team. So places like Houston/Atlanta make sense, but Hartford won’t work because the Rangers have their AHL affiliate there already.

Most large markets could manage having an AHL team do well within the area, but there may be some issues with the big hockey areas already being saturated with youth/high school/college like Minnesota and the North East.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

I don't expect him to, but some room in the lineup so he can get an extended run at a 3rd/4th line spot without worrying that the slightest mistake will get him benched couldn't hurt.

https://archive.nytimes.com/fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/

His brilliant methodology was population x percentage of people identifying as NHL fans.

So Seattle with 4.5 million people and only 5% identifying as avid NHL fans is a worse market than Halifax's 668k people where 46% identify as fans. But he somehow doubled down on the lunacy by combining Sudbury and Thunder Bay as one Northern Ontario market. For non-Canadians, those two cities are 1000km apart.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jhet posted:

The bigger problem is the AHL teams in large markets really. So these are the same owners that already have teams and won’t want to move their secondary team and business. Des Moines is as big as Quebec City, but Minnesota moved the Aeros there and I don’t really see them wanting to give up the market to another NHL team. So places like Houston/Atlanta make sense, but Hartford won’t work because the Rangers have their AHL affiliate there already.

Most large markets could manage having an AHL team do well within the area, but there may be some issues with the big hockey areas already being saturated with youth/high school/college like Minnesota and the North East.

Yeah for sure, who nows what the limit is like, economically, for NHL support. The owners will bleed every local market dry if you let them.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Even better, he suggested a team in the "sudbury - thunder bay" market, two cities that are roughly an 11 hour drive from each other. For comparison, this is about the same amount of time it would take to drive from Boston to Detroit.

I think this is the original article.

e: beaten

Lost Season fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 6, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I kinda wouldn't mind most teams diluting their bottom 6s a bit. Right now even 4th liners can do sick dangles and skate. Imagine how much scoring would explode if you put McDavid against early 2000s caliber fringe players.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ThinkTank posted:

It's four days later and I'm still so annoyed by that Hronek trade.

i'd completely forgotten about that because of how pissed i got from the miller news lmao

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Spelling Mitsake posted:

lol if Quebec spent half a billion dollars on a 18000 seat arena only for Atlanta to get another team.

I think they're keeping Quebec open as a "just-in-case" possibility if they need a short notice solution like the Atlanta-to-Winnipeg move. it doesn't make sense to treat that as an actual expansion opportunity, but if they need something in a pinch, they might get a team.

i hope they do. i would start trying to learn French to adopt them as my second team to troll Habs fans.

this is primo tanking

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pseudodragon posted:

His brilliant methodology was population x percentage of people identifying as NHL fans.

Note that he did this by looking up search interest in the term "NHL" and got >50% in most of Canada. Only the 2010 gold medal game got ~half the country to watch it, I guarantee you half of the GTA isn't an "avid" NHL fan.

Also clicked on the link he left for Google search term popularity and right now "NHL" has a search term interest of 51% (relative to Canada) in the Dominician Republic and 37% in Venezuela. Looking forward to the debut of the Caracas Chartraws in 2030.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lost Season posted:

Even better, he suggested a team in the "sudbury - thunder bay" market, two cities that are roughly an 11 hour drive from each other. For comparison, this is about the same amount of time it would take to drive from Boston to Detroit.

I think this is the original article.

e: beaten

Canada is so loving big, it’s kind of difficult for Americans to understand tbh. It goes so ridiculously far north and there are such huge swaths with basically nothing. Alaska is obviously similar, but most Americans haven’t been there and don’t realize how big it is, either. I guess Texas is similar although it isn’t even half as big as Alaska.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

T-Bone posted:

I think the counter argument is that the league expanded from 6 to 21 teams over the space of a dozen years, and the quality of play afterwards was pretty dubious until there was a huge influx of Europeans in the late 80s - early 90s. Then the league went on another orgy of expansion over the next decade.

There's something like 10 times as many baseball players in the US as there are hockey players worldwide.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I kinda wouldn't mind most teams diluting their bottom 6s a bit. Right now even 4th liners can do sick dangles and skate.

news to fuckin me

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Simplex posted:

I think the counter argument is that the league expanded from 6 to 21 teams over the space of a dozen years, and the quality of play afterwards was pretty dubious until there was a huge influx of Europeans in the late 80s - early 90s. Then the league went on another orgy of expansion over the next decade.

There's something like 10 times as many baseball players in the US as there are hockey players worldwide.

The quality of play was dubious because of how they did expansion, not the quality of player. For the counterpoint look at Vegas and Seattle.

Not sure what baseball has to do with it. There are like 100x as many soccer players and they support endless top level leagues.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

T-Bone posted:

The quality of play was dubious because of how they did expansion, not the quality of player. For the counterpoint look at Vegas and Seattle.

Not sure what baseball has to do with it. There are like 100x as many soccer players and they support endless top level leagues.

Hey! I have a post regarding HHL in the fantasy thread.

In non-fantasy news, I can't believe I am actually cheering for Ottawa this season. I am hoping they make the playoffs. I am not sure I understand why I read in this thread that they should have been sellers. For one, I am not sure who they would have even sold (Brassard and Hamonic? DeBrincat is still a RFA after this season), and two, it's not a terrible idea to trade for a 24-year old defender signed cheaply for two more seasons.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i hope they do. i would start trying to learn French to adopt them as my second team to troll Habs fans.

My French is awful, but I prefer barely being able to follow the RDS broadcast to the Sportsnet one.

(TSN has done the habs pretty good the last few years)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My favorite spot is Gabriel’s Gate on Allen Street. Their food is also pretty good, they have a lot of hot sandwiches and their French onion soup is very good.

Anchor Bar on Main is the original but their wings are pretty meh. I like the Spicy BBQ ones though.

If you want to try something new, I’ve heard that Lenox Grill on North near Delaware is really good. It’s in the basement of the Lenox Hotel, a hotel turned apartment building. I’d be interested to hear about them.

If you want pizza & wings there are a million places, I’m a big fan of Just Pizza but their wings aren’t amazing but they aren’t bad either. It’s on Elmwood and Summer. LaNova supposedly has great wings but the city location is kinda far from downtown. They also have Buffalo-style pizza which is divisive.

Those are just a few spots close to downtown off the top of my head.
Just Pizza and LaNova are 4 minutes apart fyi

And they’re both 9 minutes from Keybank Center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mennoknight posted:

news to fuckin me

He didn't mean Calgary Flames 4th liners