Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

lih posted:

the kooyong forever quote that's going around is fake and idk why anyone felt the need to make it up when there is plenty of ridiculous stuff that's really in the affidavit

i had no idea it was and i looked it up and its a pretty funny joke and its even funnier if people think its real imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://twitter.com/AshBarnhamNats/status/1632243820426559488

even a nats candidate was joking about it lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

sorry but jokes aren't allowed

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

unless they're elected that is.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Wait, was my cousin even a cop then? He claimed he got stabbed and everything

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Konomex posted:

Wait, was my cousin even a cop then? He claimed he got stabbed and everything

All cousins are bastards

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

my cousin works at nintendo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

hambeet posted:

sorry but jokes aren't allowed

youre right please :getout:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-06/perth-mint-sells-gold-former-hells-angels-bikie-without-checks/102048620

This is interesting for me because one thing most people don't realise, is how much looser regulation is for government entities compared to private. A good example is Muja powerstation in WA had stacks without Electro-Static-Precipitators (ESP) or other flue gas emissions scrubbing because environmental laws were not applicable to them as a government organization. Fair trading and the like at your visa office? - they are exempt and so on. This is for good and bad reasons but generally is utlised at will be government entities (bit like the official secrets act). This generally means govt orgs are nowhere near as self-introspective on overarching legislation as you might think.

This then comes up against an absolute international beast - Know Your Customer and Anti-Money Laundering (and related) legislation/international efforts. Lithuania (Or maybe Latvia?) decimated its own banking sector in the name of AML/KYC, Commbank got slammed and many other examples abound. A big selling point of some Crytpo is circumventing KYC, etc.

Perth Mint seemingly just trucks along completely oblivious to AML/KYC despite being a multi billion international wealth business and that it will just be a few technical issues to sort out. Whilst I don't think anyone is going to goal (not least because a govt employee going to goal in the line of govt business would be quite remarkable), it is quite a story.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-06/perth-mint-gold-doping-china-cover-up-four-corners/102048622

This seems a bit underdone as a story. Doped is too strong a word for me or their implication of it. You have a spec - you blend to it. 99.99% pure is the spec? Well, why add in a free 0.005% for free? Maybe you have some gold that is 99.985% and some that is 99.9995%, just blend it together to hit the overall spec and job done. Specs for bullion also exist for heavy metals such as cadmium, antinomy, etc and is measured in parts per million or parts per billion (30 ppb is 0.3 ppm is 0.0001%).

Now of course this assumes your assays are correct, that the other side has good assays and that a dispute mechanism exists to mediate a difference between assays and that you both understand the contract/conditions (was the contract stated to 99.99% +/-0.001% accuracy or was it >99.99% or was it stated as the former but also referred to the Shanghai SX) The Chinese also have a reputation for challenging assays/specs once the product is hard to access for follow-up samples (even if it is in the contract) basically forcing the seller of the goods to abandon the complete consignment or the seller may even pay the buyer to take it for free to avoid storage fees (bit different here as the end result could be the Aussie govt pays to get all the gold back to confirm that it is indeed all within spec of the contract).

I think it is very possible the mint was doing its normal things and the Chinese buyers are playing hard ball. A big clue is that normally contracts are written that once you accept a shipment, you can't retrospectively challenge assays - unless they have a lot of historical samples and loose contract writing. It is generally incumbent upon the buyer to challenge the assay within a period of receipt (or the seller to challenge the buyers assay if the buyers assay was the one written as the default).

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
On the doping story, it sounds more like "the spec says 99.99 so we added filler to skirt the line"

:capitalism:

gently caress off, just make a good product instead of playing "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you"

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
The best part is they did it to save 600k a year when they do over 20 billion in gold sales. Absolutely the dumbest idea ever, why even bother with returns so low and such a great risk.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Solemn Sloth posted:

All cousins are bastards

He's cool now, since the "stabbing". He really mellowed out. I thought it was a near death experience that did it, but apparently it was letting go of all the lies?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Lmao ALP are really going to walk back climate action because mining companies have them over a barrel. So much for being a party of government huh

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
What's the go with SMH front page talking about war with China - we'd be hosed. Why stoke flames.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
"You say we can improve profits by UP TO 0.01%?"

And as usual, the real crime is the cover-up

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

go_banana posted:

What's the go with SMH front page talking about war with China - we'd be hosed. Why stoke flames.

ABC did a big piece on just how loving bad it would be, even if the USA went alone and Australia for the first time DIDN'T join in.

I don't get it either.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-20/what-would-war-with-china-look-like-for-australia-part-1/101328632

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/china-us-war-what-would-conflict-look-like-taiwan/101998772

No call for "MOAR fighter jets!!", just "yeah this wont be like anything seen since WW2 and Australians will SUFFER"

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Recoome posted:

Lmao ALP are really going to walk back climate action because mining companies have them over a barrel. So much for being a party of government huh

we can't keep letting the greens get away with this

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Senator David Pocuck

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

“Uncharted waters” as hyperinflation hits rental market

SQM Research’s asking rents series shows that rents across the combined capital cities soared by 27.8% in the year to 4 March, with all types of homes experiencing strong growth:

Managing director Louis Christopher believes such rental hyperinflation is unprecedented, squeezed by a combination of accelerating immigration and the shift toward short-term leasing.

“I’ve never seen anything like it. You’d have to go back to the 1970s to see that degree of rental increases”, Christopher said.

“I believe February and March will be the toughest for tenants because we’ve got new uni students looking for accommodation and grads looking to find a place of their own”.

“It’s fair to say that rent as a component of income has risen dramatically in the last two years and is very likely to be at record highs. We’re in uncharted waters right now”, he said.

Separate data from PropTrack shows that the share of rental properties listed under $400 per week has almost halved over the past year amid the hyperinflation of rents.

This time a year ago, 31.5% of capital city homes were listed for rent at or below $400. Today, that share has plunged to just 14.6%.

“Demand for rentals is far outstripping supply, pushing weekly rents higher and the vacancy rate lower”, PropTrack notes.

“With demand for rentals intensifying, we see no reprieve for tenants in the coming months”.

This will create “challenges for those on lower incomes or government support payments as they try to source increasingly scarce rental accommodation”, PropTrack concludes.

The Albanese Government has picked the absolute worst time to ramp immigration to record levels.

Where will the hundreds of thousands of new migrants arriving live when there is already a critical shortage of housing for the current population?

Labor is pouring immigration petrol on the rental bonfire.

And the only logical outcome is further rent inflation and increased homelessness.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2023/03/uncharted-waters-as-hyperinflation-hits-rental-market/

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

imnotinsane posted:

The best part is they did it to save 600k a year when they do over 20 billion in gold sales. Absolutely the dumbest idea ever, why even bother with returns so low and such a great risk.

Business Grindset.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ah yes Macro Business, its the immigration that's the loving problem, that's the only thing that could be causing this problem and that is the thing we need to address. loving immigration, that's the only loving single god drat thing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

Ah yes Macro Business, its the immigration that's the loving problem, that's the only thing that could be causing this problem and that is the thing we need to address. loving immigration, that's the only loving single god drat thing.

I was under the impression that immigrants live in houses too?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
They’ll talk out both sides of their mouth as real economic growth for Australia over last fifty years has been more or less entirely due to immigration so they can’t have it both ways (except I guess politically they can and do)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Blamestorm posted:

They’ll talk out both sides of their mouth as real economic growth for Australia over last fifty years has been more or less entirely due to immigration so they can’t have it both ways (except I guess politically they can and do)

What? Macrobusiness has been pretty consistent on this stuff for as long as i've been reading it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

yes, 70 of them, in the same one. they're definitely the people responsible for our housing problems

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ungulateman posted:

yes, 70 of them, in the same one. they're definitely the people responsible for our housing problems

It's more like 300,000 a year now.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

It's more like 300,000 a year now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bigger cash rate should take care of this one. I am an economist.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Thread i have a question: the voice to parliament thing is good yeah? Thats why the no side is full of nutjobs?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Yeah it's good

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

JBP posted:

Bigger cash rate should take care of this one. I am an economist.

Also deregulation because the free market will save us because it has "free" in its name and freedom is good.

*insert that free market squashing people cartoon here when I can find it*

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Thread i have a question: the voice to parliament thing is good yeah? Thats why the no side is full of nutjobs?

Its not as simple as good or bad imo.

There are plenty of valid concerns about it :
- The problem isnt about having a voice, its that the people already aren't being listened to, and this doesnt change that
- It wont be representative of all indigenous groups
- It will be co-opted and patsies installed
- Relying on the oppressor to stop oppressing people is not great
- It will be a figleaf that doesnt nothing concrete but allow racists to point at it as they continue to be racist AF

I think its a step in the right direction personally, but im very white.

https://www.facebook.com/ourcountryourchoice

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The voice will do nothing to improve the material conditions for indigenous people. It grants no power, and consultation will be ignored like it always has been.

The voice will as actually cause more harm than good because people will think it's a big win, that things will change for the better, so the fight doesn't need to be fought, as hard or st all.

No to the voice.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You’ve gotta wonder what chance the voice has to change anything under a Dutton government for example.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Making it part of the constitution makes it a lot harder for it for the Govt of the day to unilaterally shut it down. It's a good step forward, and necessary. It's not perfect or a solution for everything, but it paves the way for more and better change.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But does making it part of the constitution prevent them from fooling around with it other ways?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They don't need to fool around with something that grants zero power lol

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i think it's wise and fair to have concerns anytime someone thinks "subservient" is a good choice of words for a statement about or affecting people of colour

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

They sure do, and that's literally the only* factor that influences rental prices and supply.

*Excluding all the things which MacroBusiness absolutely refuses to think or talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

They don't need to fool around with something that grants zero power lol

When Kevin Rudd said sorry that didn't achieve anything materially and it was generally considered still worthwhile. At worst would the voice be like that? Like it dosen't necessarily foreclose on further steps

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 7, 2023