Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I mean, doesn’t communism describe a mode of production for a large industrialized society? Like you need an actual proletariat to have communism or even capitalism. This community is so small it has stuff like “the guy who is our blacksmith” instead of “Steel Workers at the steel factory”.

You would think the early puritan colonies would have been too small for that sort of thing either, but no, there were community "leaders" who decked out their humble black garb with gold buckles just to let everyone know that god loved them a little bit more than the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

You would think the early puritan colonies would have been too small for that sort of thing either, but no, there were community "leaders" who decked out their humble black garb with gold buckles just to let everyone know that god loved them a little bit more than the rest.

That's still not capitalism though. Every community that has existed since the first creation of surplus has had some rear end in a top hat at the top with his shiny gold buckle. We even see it with the creation of the first "states" at the end of the Neolithic and early Bronze Age, where you can dig up these super-old settlements and find that some guy had a much bigger house than everyone because he controlled more wheat, which made his progeny kings. And we see a genetic crash in the Y-chromosomes present because suddenly a few guys controlled everything.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Capitalism is where generally, labor is free (proletariat), means of production are privatized, and everything is sold on a market competing with similar goods (commodities).

I think of that as my definition anyway

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

galagazombie posted:

That's still not capitalism though. Every community that has existed since the first creation of surplus has had some rear end in a top hat at the top with his shiny gold buckle. We even see it with the creation of the first "states" at the end of the Neolithic and early Bronze Age, where you can dig up these super-old settlements and find that some guy had a much bigger house than everyone because he controlled more wheat, which made his progeny kings. And we see a genetic crash in the Y-chromosomes present because suddenly a few guys controlled everything.

Well, in the case of the purtians, they specifically tied having money and gaining money to godliness. A whole lot of Puritans were merchants, and many of them believed that to choose unprofitable paths was to go against god. If this isn’t capitalism, then it was certainly the bridge between feudalism you’re describing and capitalism.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Well, in the case of the purtians, they specifically tied having money and gaining money to godliness. A whole lot of Puritans were merchants, and many of them believed that to choose unprofitable paths was to go against god. If this isn’t capitalism, then it was certainly the bridge between feudalism you’re describing and capitalism.

Oh it was definitely a bridge no argument there. There is of course no actual point where we can say "On August 19 1824 C.E. at 3:24 AM, We became Capitalism. Though I've always liked the revolutions of 1848 as the "moment" since it was just everything coming home to roost all at once and, in my opinion, represents the final and permanent break between the Liberals and Left.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Oh it was definitely a bridge no argument there. There is of course no actual point where we can say "On August 19 1824 C.E. at 3:24 AM, We became Capitalism. Though I've always liked the revolutions of 1848 as the "moment" since it was just everything coming home to roost all at once and, in my opinion, represents the final and permanent break between the Liberals and Left.

For me, I have always considered Calvinism and the Calvinists to be the true origin point of capitalism, especially the Dutch. If Karl Marx created Communism, then Jan Pieterszoon Coen created Capitalism. Under his leadership, The Dutch East India Company that fully embraced what we like to call capitalist values.

Antonymous posted:

Capitalism is where generally, labor is free (proletariat), means of production are privatized, and everything is sold on a market competing with similar goods (commodities).

I think of that as my definition anyway

I think another important factor is which group in a society has the final say on which way the ship gets steered. In Feudalism, its the King and his favored noble families. In Theocracy, Its the priests and the faith. In Capitalism, Its Businessmen and Corporations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
drat I shouldn't have gotten stoned before watching last of us episode 3

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I got hammered before I watched any episode of the Book of Boba Fett, and that made it a lot more watchable.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

That last point about the vacuum is important segueing into what Antonymous was saying, about at least it’s exposing people to the idea of it. Because to me it seems more like propaganda saying “See communism can only work in the literally impossible reality of society consisting of one pre industrial village where the entire rest of the planet is empty zombie wastes. It can’t work here the real world with mature adults.” The impossibly saccharine quaintness of the village serves to delegitimize the idea to the viewer.

Joel basically spells this out explicitly in the same episode, yeah. It's absolutely what the episode is arguing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Doesn't the new Rian Johnson show also have a left-bashing episode? Not exactly surprising lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

I’ve just always thought the material historical conditions underlying “Primitive Communism” were just too different to make it a useful point of comparison. I understand what he meant but Marx should have used different semantics because it makes it too easy for the bourgeoisie to conflate those unwashed hippie anarchists with actual communism.

It's not like they wouldn't have come up with other bad faith arguments and conflations if the language was different.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/RenStarFilm/status/1632406105824296964?t=Z0KbXN817OFHaVova9LS3g&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is I think I get Chris Rock's initial reaction there; something like being slapped in such a completely unexpected venue and circumstances can result in a reaction where you're not even mad, because it's just so out of left field and you didn't even expect to process it.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is I think I get Chris Rock's initial reaction there; something like being slapped in such a completely unexpected venue and circumstances can result in a reaction where you're not even mad, because it's just so out of left field and you didn't even expect to process it.
also it's such a high stakes career situation at that point and no matter what you do you're gonna get poo poo for it from someone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just discovered tonight via algorithm recommendations that they did a Perry Mason reboot. I watched the first episode. I don't actually remember the original at all save that it was about a detective and that my parents loved it.

I liked it! It feels really authentic for the period, even when Perry describes something as "queer" as in "strange". It does feel like this is a dark-and-gritty reboot and I'm guessing the original was not this grim.

I think I'll stick with it, see where it goes. It helps that I've also been playing Mafia and City of Gangsters lately so I'm on this 30s mafia kick.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Open Source Idiom posted:

Joel basically spells this out explicitly in the same episode, yeah. It's absolutely what the episode is arguing.

this is from the Chernobyl showrunner, right?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

new boots riley show

https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1632831147431587840

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

very excited for this

for no particular reason, this scene popped into my head. great cinema:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkpYPdU7b20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in awe of this exchange

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Didn't Von Gogh paint Starry Night when he was getting help for his mental illness at an asylum

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah he's not like the woke pussies nowadays who don't have access to healthcare

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
m pussy is asleep :(

check ur privilege

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Van Gogh had a wealthy relatives who financially supported him from time to time. Absolutely every single famous Starving Artist/writer had had a wealthy relative/collector shilling their art after their tragic death

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just discovered tonight via algorithm recommendations that they did a Perry Mason reboot. I watched the first episode. I don't actually remember the original at all save that it was about a detective and that my parents loved it.

perry mason is actually famous for being a tv lawyer not a detective although the original show and tv movies still use the classic whodunit format just with a lot of the action and exposition taking place in a courtroom that could conveniently be used as a permanent set

come to think of it perry mason might have actually invented that format because i cant think of any hour long tv mystery procedurals that predate it supposedly the new show is based on the original novels where perry mason was a detective that became a lawyer for technical reasons but ive never read them so i have no idea

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If Matthew Rhys isn't wearing a new wig every episode then the show is TRASH

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Perry Mason is really good though I probably like anything with Matthew Rhys or Keri Russell now.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

MassTran posted:

Didn't Von Gogh paint Starry Night when he was getting help for his mental illness at an asylum

Yeah almost all his output that we know of comes from him being treated and his family paid for his treatment

you can hear more about this in thread favorite Hannah Gadsby's comedy special Douglas

thank you and god bless

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
been getting into poems lately

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i think youll like this poem i just wrote

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart.[d] Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That was a theme you notice at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam too -- the popular line is that drug abuse and mental illness drive artistic output, but when Van Gogh was at his worst mental health wise, oddly enough, he wasn't painting anything at all, much less artistic masterpieces

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Looks like poo poo OP

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
this mf said "desart.[d]"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

War and Pieces posted:

Van Gogh had a wealthy relatives who financially supported him from time to time. Absolutely every single famous Starving Artist/writer had had a wealthy relative/collector shilling their art after their tragic death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VhKixOAjv4

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

this thread is so lucky I don’t feel like googling that poem by the ready player one guy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

that's pretty fuckin tight dude

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

indigi posted:

this mf said "desart.[d]"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
If you're looking for a title, I'd go with "The Desert King" or something like that

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
A poem is like an artist going "here's an idea you can turn into a better work of art, i don't really have the whole thing fleshed out but check out these six sentences"

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I liked it! It feels really authentic for the period, even when Perry describes something as "queer" as in "strange". It does feel like this is a dark-and-gritty reboot and I'm guessing the original was not this grim.

I think I'll stick with it, see where it goes. It helps that I've also been playing Mafia and City of Gangsters lately so I'm on this 30s mafia kick.

The Phoenix Wright games were heavily inspired by Perry Mason, to give you an idea of what the original show was like.

Apparently mobsters used to love watching the original show because they thought it was hilarious, especially the part where the criminals would actually confess to their crimes in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

A poem is like an artist going "here's an idea you can turn into a better work of art, i don't really have the whole thing fleshed out but check out these six sentences"

lmao