Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

To catch fish, first equip Shovel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

An insane amount of detail in this single throwaway panel.

Honestly once Abbadon is done with K6BD he could make a mint making Wuxia Where's Wally books.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

Chapter 1
Update 17:
Pack Up The Louis

Chapter 1
Update 18:
Valkyrie

-=Author's Notes=-

One of my Beta readers pointed out that I re-use certain shots A Lot, and after a small tantrum I realized they were right. So if you notice things getting more dynamic after Uncle's fight. That's why. My life partner actually told me a trick to check for Dynamism that's really easy, just go through and see if the head is a consistent size between panels. If the head always takes up the same amount of space on each panel, then you're probably not being dynamic enough in your pages.

I had a lot of fun with this one, playing with the lighting depending on the mood, the literal cloud and shadowed shroud that Claire is in. I also did a bit of reading on tea leaf reading which was fun.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Jun 28, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flying Zamboni posted:

This comic is fun enough but I'm just not understanding what it's actually about. They haven't defined "mortal repository" at all and I'm not picking it up from context either. Is he a robot or is that just stuff that's been shoved into his body for some reason? Do they explain this at all eventually or is this a play on words that doesn't translate into English? Am I just dense and it's actually obvious but I'm not getting it?
A bit of this was posted in another webcomics thread but it was ages ago and I forget how far we got. I've been wracking my brain for a few posts now about whether what I'm about to post is spoilers or something that I picked up from this readthrough or rampant speculation from the old thread that sank into my head as fact, so read at your own risk and with a huge pinch of salt:

He was dying in the hospital as a kid so the doctor witch turned him into a golem thing. "Mortal repository" refers to both him being a sapient storage unit and also the body being a repository for his soul.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Becky Bishop and the Case of the Whistleblowers

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm also really enjoying Blasphemous Saga Fantasy, ty Fortis

Thank you for reading, and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

I listen to a lot of video game music while I plan and draw BSF pages, surprising no one. Starting with the last page here, maybe keep this track in mind.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I have a hard time getting enthused by this comic but I dig the effect of having him physically getting crushed by the flashback montage panel, good job.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

FFT posted:

I think we're roughly to the point in K6BD where I built a new computer and accidentally stopped following the SA thread on it, now. I got a local comics store to acquire Book One for me, but I don't remember who I lent it to.

Doing my best to avoid spoiling myself, we're approaching halfway through Book Three. The live modern-day updates are considered to be in Book Five.

Whaat. I thought we were still earlier in the run than that. I'm sad.

Moe

Ditocoaf posted:

113 ‘Moe’m And P’Moe’p

Posting a whole bunch at once today, since there's some junk in here I want to fast-forward past to get to some better ones after. (This batch isn't all bad, but hey.) On the plus side, this begins the "Best Pie" arc. I don't know why that's a plus side, but it feels like one.

114 The Details Of Retail

115 The Dangers Of Retail

116 Moe Just Finished Reading A Guide To Dating

117 He Goes Out Of His Way To Keep It At Zero

118 Foot In ‘Moe’th

119 Zaney

120 At First Sight

121 Dear Dairy

122 Moe Expresses His Clothing Preferences

123 Mildly Ho’Moe’phonic

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Mar 6, 2023

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

the holy poopacy posted:

I have a hard time getting enthused by this comic but I dig the effect of having him physically getting crushed by the flashback montage panel, good job.

Yeah, I definitely understand that BSF isn't for everyone. Even in 2011 when I started, 'video-gamey funny fantasy' was kind of on its way out. That said, thank you! I try to keep the page compositions interesting whenever I can manage it (and actually have any interesting ideas) within the framework of the story, and I'm glad this one worked.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ditocoaf posted:

Whaat. I thought we were still earlier in the run than that. I'm sad.

We're at about 250 pages in with 400+ to go. There's still plenty of comic to go before we're caught up. I doubt it'll finish completely before I'm caught up but we'll probably be a good way into the last book by then

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: As Straights pulls himself together, Joseph unleashes his ultimate technique: running the gently caress away! (and hoping Straights goes after him!)

Read right to left:

Chapter 51 - Straizus is Racist, Divided by 4

Nice gender idiot! Where'd you get it, Pirates R Us??

Also, I brought up the anatomy jazz in this chapter's opening panel in the jojo manga thread, and it turns out it has a practical explanation!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't remember where I saw it but I've read that this is specifically because Araki was accounting for the center fold hiding part of the art. When you see it in the print edition the arm looks regular length.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Rui, Rui, Rui, you and Saki really need to have a talk.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

This comic is fun enough but I'm just not understanding what it's actually about. They haven't defined "mortal repository" at all and I'm not picking it up from context either. Is he a robot or is that just stuff that's been shoved into his body for some reason? Do they explain this at all eventually or is this a play on words that doesn't translate into English? Am I just dense and it's actually obvious but I'm not getting it?

What Splicer said: he's a human bag of holding and someone's loaded him up with piles and piles of machines. The fact that he can be taken to bits is kind of Shinozaki thing, though, none of the other guys who show up can do that. The question of what exactly a mortal repository is will be expanded on in later chapters, but it'll take a little while: Yuuyake doesn't know because she's more machine oriented, Shinozaki doesn't know because he's Harry Potter and all the other magicians we meet are irritatingly coy about it because it turns out it's kind of a sensitive topic?

Splicer posted:

A bit of this was posted in another webcomics thread but it was ages ago and I forget how far we got. I've been wracking my brain for a few posts now about whether what I'm about to post is spoilers or something that I picked up from this readthrough or rampant speculation from the old thread that sank into my head as fact, so read at your own risk and with a huge pinch of salt:

He was dying in the hospital as a kid so the doctor witch turned him into a golem thing. "Mortal repository" refers to both him being a sapient storage unit and also the body being a repository for his soul.

I think that's only been implied, both at this point and in future chapters? Presumably a big flashback is in order, but it hasn't happened yet.

Emzedoh posted:

And that's the end of chapter 3.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance chapter 4

Apropos of nothing, I like Shinozaki's jacket in this chapter.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Seltzer Boy

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Swan Boy's been on fire lately. The strip, that is.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This is only the first chapter of an ongoing series but I liked it a lot by itself.

Telework Yotabanashi

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Oh hey, I read that through only a couple days ago. It's sweet, if a little pat.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Uh oh, I recognize this location

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Here's a oneshot autobio from Kathleen Gros, of "Lunar Maladies".
Jimmy

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Boba Pearl posted:

Chapter 1
Update 18:
Valkyrie

-=Author's Notes=-

One of my Beta readers pointed out that I re-use certain shots A Lot, and after a small tantrum I realized they were right. So if you notice things getting more dynamic after Uncle's fight. That's why. My life partner actually told me a trick to check for Dynamism that's really easy, just go through and see if the head is a consistent size between panels. If the head always takes up the same amount of space on each panel, then you're probably not being dynamic enough in your pages.

I had a lot of fun with this one, playing with the lighting depending on the mood, the literal cloud and shadowed shroud that Claire is in. I also did a bit of reading on tea leaf reading which was fun.

this is great, love those dynamic panels! and your pose and linework has really come so far

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thanks for the kind words about the Fursuit of Happiness painting! :)

By popular demand posted:

This is piece of art is definitely going to get stolen and reused as the cover of a children's book.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This is great! Looks like it'd be a fun children's book
The evergreen story of sharing the infinite fursuit with every guest of an infinite hotel and still having infinite fursuit left.

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

I love your style.
Thanks! Watercolours are a lot of fun to use and work well for me because they encourage doing fairly small pieces (this one is A5).

MokBa posted:

Thanks for going on this journey with me through Canada, history, literature, and superheroes. Kate’s gone on to have a very successful career in books and animation. Her children’s show, Pinecone & Pony, is on Apple TV+ and features everyone’s favorite stupid pony.
Thanks for posting H!aV! It's such a wonderful set of comics, Beaton really has a knack for humour (and history).

ANSU

Uh oh, I'm out of scanned Ansu! I'll have to prepare new stuff for tomorrow.

Fingerpori

There's a common conception in Finland of pharmacy staff being overly eager to help you as soon as you enter the pharmacy, which doesn't sit well with more introverted people or when you're trying to discreetly buy something embarrassing.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Timelets

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I am on board with the Pac Man reboot, I think

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

This one is strangely calming to look at. I really l like it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

this is great, love those dynamic panels! and your pose and linework has really come so far

Honestly, I'm so happy with it I'm glad I got some criticism, it was almost immediately actionable and expediently had an impact. I'm so tired though, and I'm complete out of adderall and ritalin and there's none in any of the pharmacies around me, so next week's update might end up being... sparse because of the adhd medication shortage.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
One of the best things that happened to me as an artist was finding the legacy of dominic deegan and going "gently caress me, so anyone can do this right?"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Boba Pearl posted:

One of the best things that happened to me as an artist was finding the legacy of dominic deegan and going "gently caress me, so anyone can do this right?"

:hai:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

It probably doesn't get many new readers. He's been making Deegan comics for poo poo, 15 or 20 years now?

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I mean if I was making a living off of art I certainly wouldn't stop just because someone on the internet said they think it sucks. Like ok? I'm getting paid to do what I love.

Dominic Deegan sucked for non art related reasons tho.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I kind of get it though, if you start making poo poo, and you enjoy it, nothing is really going to stop you, a million people could call you poo poo or ignore you, but you'll just keep trucking because it's just so loving cool to see your stuff come to life. Like I understand Mookie way more now, it's just fun, and he only has to put in as much as he wants. Like someone emailing me a death threat or w/e literally does not matter to me because the idea of making something and showing people is just so fundamentally fulfilling. I can't speak for anyone else, but this poo poo's always going to get made because at this point it's not just a hobby it's a compulsion. Which makes me understand both sides of the AI argument as well, both sides, people who have never had that ability to go from idea -> picture in a meaning fulfilling way, and people who want to show their work who don't want to be crowded out, and the concepts of stylistic theft and how insanely personal making something, and someone making something of yours is.

Comics are loving cool. One of the ultimate expressions of art.

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

Boba Pearl posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but this poo poo's always going to get made because at this point it's not just a hobby it's a compulsion.

I get this. I started on a daily schedule in 2011 because I knew from past experience than anything less would be guaranteed to get abandoned before long for reasons of who I am as a person. (Plus philosophically, I thought I ought to give myself room to make lots of low-stakes failures and slowly improve.) Even as my health gets worse and I feel like I've plateau'd (or worse? NB I am not fishing for anyone to tell me otherwise*), it's like...every time I think to myself, "hey, you're allowed to quit", I immediately respond with a "duh-doy, but then what would I do and who would I be anymore?" I even made myself take a sabbatical and post only re-runs for all of August 2022, and I still compulsively drafted every day and came away feeling less like I'd taken a break and more like I'd been on some restrictive diet that didn't help.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I find Crange kind of frustrating, but I'm pretty sure that's the point of the guy.

Seriously though, read the note, I know it's the point that you can't read the note, but read the drat note Crange :<

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

yeah. making comics loving rules

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Emzedoh posted:

I find Crange kind of frustrating, but I'm pretty sure that's the point of the guy.
This one was particularly frustrating for me personally because it's extremely relatable

There was like a solid month in college where I'd go to the library to study or work on a paper, get on my laptop, and end up playing space station 13 instead

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

I get this. I started on a daily schedule in 2011 because I knew from past experience than anything less would be guaranteed to get abandoned before long for reasons of who I am as a person. (Plus philosophically, I thought I ought to give myself room to make lots of low-stakes failures and slowly improve.) Even as my health gets worse and I feel like I've plateau'd (or worse? NB I am not fishing for anyone to tell me otherwise*), it's like...every time I think to myself, "hey, you're allowed to quit", I immediately respond with a "duh-doy, but then what would I do and who would I be anymore?" I even made myself take a sabbatical and post only re-runs for all of August 2022, and I still compulsively drafted every day and came away feeling less like I'd taken a break and more like I'd been on some restrictive diet that didn't help.

Yeah it's like, you're absolutely allowed to quit, but why would you? Why would you ever, this feeds passion in a way nothing else does.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Moe

Ditocoaf posted:

123 Mildly Ho’Moe’phonic

124 ‘Moe’chelin Man

125 Jig Is Up

126 How To Deal With Clowns

127 Best Pie Circ’moe’vents Giving Change

This last one is probably most of the reason reason I think fondly of Moe's whole 'Best Pie" thing.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Mar 7, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/ForestLassman/status/1632848999831986179

Comics from the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The children will be so excited.