Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It would be somewhat comic if after all of these years and the hype built up that TotK was actually kinda poo poo and Nintendo had zero faith in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
seeing as nintendo is one of the few companies who still does "here's a trailer for a new game! it will be available on the eshop in the next 5 minutes" for some of their marketing, them being all radio silence is not exactly surprising

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t really need or want to see anymore tbh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i think they're confident enough that a sequel to botw will print money that they're letting a lot of the game be a surprise

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Augus posted:

i think they're confident enough that a sequel to botw will print money that they're letting a lot of the game be a surprise

Yeah, that's it. We know they have no issues with delaying a big game if they're not happy, the direct would've been like "sorry, but here's Faces of Evil in the meantime" or something if it wasn't on track to be good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A lot of the game is already known from having played BotW so the less marketing and reveals the better. This is also the case for all games in all circumstances. Ideally games wouldn't even be announced until they are available but that's not really plausible these days.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

With Mar10 day & PAX East around the corner, I won't be surprised if Nintendo drops some nuggets around those events.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I think they typically do a game-focused Direct and related press blowout a month before release. Splatoon 3 Direct was August (released September), XB3 had a Direct in June (released July), Super Mario Maker 2 had a May Direct (released June), etc. In each case about 4 weeks separated the two dates

in fact I think I just cracked the code. feel free to Tweet out something like "sources tell me there's a Tears of the Kingdom Direct coming April 13th, 2023" and reap in all those sweet clickbait impressions once it's announced

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'd like it to be that there is still stuff they haven't shown yet that they think is so an incredibly good that they want to hold it back as long as possible.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I hope we get nothing so I can just be surprised by the experience. My biggest fear right now is that it doesn't really expand on the BotW map beyond some sky dungeons but I trust them enough to know that six years in development probably means we all have very little idea of what the game is truly going to be like.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I know there's been Switch Pro/2 speculation for eons and that even otherwise accurate leaks have to be taken with a grain of salt, but the recent one that had the Pokemon direct details correct for the S/V expansion suggested that they're also working on a game update specifically for a Switch successor. Assuming the Switch 2 is actually imminent and backwards compatible, it's theoretically possible TotK is also being developed with similar enhancements in mind. I know Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild had full-on separate versions for sale, but they also had both systems available at release, too, whereas even if Nintendo wants to launch new hardware this year, it's going to be at the end of the year at the earliest. The official announcement of the Switch was actually only half a year before its release, though the NX was first known about at an investor's briefing in early 2015 (probably because of the Wii U's reception).

But regardless of all that ending up being a fancy like all the other claims, I figure Nintendo's just trucking along with their usual hype strategy and we're just not going to hear much until the last pre-launch Zelda direct.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

They're probably going to wait until after the Mario movie comes out.

What are the odds of a TotK trailer before the Mario movie?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the Mario movie would be the highest grossing film of all time if each ticket came with a code for a pre-release TotK demo

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

At this point I'm kind of worried the lack of information is going to raise my expectations for a big surprise they've needed to conceal that if it turns out to just be a straightforward sequel I might be super disappointed they didn't do a thing they never said they'd do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
On the surface it's a normal Zelda game and nice second-hit but nothing like the spectacle of the original on your first play. But if you stand in the right places and really look at the landscape you start to notice something strange... And then you start to notice things like that all over. Once you piece together this game made of the parts you thought you already played, to get to a special hidden room in Hyrule castle to uncover the true secret ending, hidden within a series of dungeons hidden within boring videos of lectures from the 70s.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The big blowout cinematic trailer for BOTW that everyone (including myself) touches themselves to came less than two months before the game launched. There's still time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MokBa posted:

I hope we get nothing so I can just be surprised by the experience. My biggest fear right now is that it doesn't really expand on the BotW map beyond some sky dungeons but I trust them enough to know that six years in development probably means we all have very little idea of what the game is truly going to be like.
given the first trailer location, various shots of hyrule castle rising out of the ground and some of the cave-y looking areas of the last trailer, i have a good feeling that there's going to be a big-rear end underground cave portion in addition to the sky islands, a la skyrim's blackreach. having new stuff both above and below the old world would give it a big sense of depth, y'know?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

There’s definitely some underground poo poo going on that’s flown under the radar (heh) with all the focus on the sky islands

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
It makes sense to me. If there’s sky stuff that maybe came from the ground, then there’d be space inside the ground now where the sky stuff was.

I have a PhD in Sheikah technology.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

There’s definitely some underground poo poo going on that’s flown under the radar (heh) with all the focus on the sky islands

I mean, wasn't the first reveal basically all underground?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The big blowout cinematic trailer for BOTW that everyone (including myself) touches themselves to came less than two months before the game launched. There's still time.

Not only that, but until that trailer, we had no idea when BOTW was being released. There was speculation that it wasn’t gonna make Switch launch and they were pushing it to later in the month.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Could be underground on/in the sky islands.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wonder if there will be a Great Plateau equivalent or if they'll just toss you back out there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wonder if there will be a Great Plateau equivalent or if they'll just toss you back out there.

That general question is something I've been wondering about, not just the plateau itself but the whole amount of intro and tutorial to the game. BotW had a lot to cover based on the different nature of the game for the franchise so they really extended it out, there'll be tons of player returning from that one but I'll be curious to see how they balance that against newcomers.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I wouldn't be surprised to see the underground exploration from the initial reveal trailer playable as the tutorial so they can refamiliarize the player with climbing, cooking, and whichever of the runes from botw they're keeping around in an enclosed and claustrophobic space before reintroducing the player to hyrule proper.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 7, 2023

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Manoueverable posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the underground exoloration from the initial reveal trailer playable as the tutorial so they can refamiliarize the player with climbing, cooking, and whichever of the runes from botw they're keeping around in an enclosed and claustrophobic space before reintroducing the player to hyrule proper.

agreed. in fact I'd go a step further and say that after The Great Cavern you get magicked up to the sky, do some sky tutorial stuff, story stuff, maybe green goop stuff, and only then do you get to go back to Hyrule

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

It just spawns you in a completely random location.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You’ll start the game by waking up in the shrine of resurrection. Link will stand up and go “Ah poo poo, here we go again.”

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The first half of the game is you trying to escape an ancient Shiekah tech fabrication facility by organizing the workers and leading a rebellion against your bosses.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The first half of the game is you trying to escape an ancient Shiekah tech fabrication facility by organizing the workers and leading a rebellion against your bosses.

This, but the Lanayru Mining Facility from Skyward Sword. That music owned.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There will surely be a tutorial area or gentle introduction to the core gameplay loop, not just because of the six-year gap that ensures there will be players who didn't play Breath of the Wild, but also because there's new mechanics.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I wrapped up Minish Cap, and overall I like it but don't love it. Like I mentioned a while back, I really enjoy the size gimmick, but I don't think the game has a strong enough execution overall to support it. Ironically, the main feeling I have is that the game just feels too small. :dumbrim: The world feels pretty limited, there aren't many dungeons, and they really only start to feel more complex towards the end. Even the Oracle games felt bigger, especially in the dungeons. I'm guessing that could have to do with Capcom building a whole new game for GBA, rather than expanding off the Link's Awakening design tools for a more limited platform.

One weird thing is that I'd completely forgotten its other central gimmick, the whole Four Swords idea. I think that's an interesting design for puzzles and gating off areas, but I was mixed on it in practice. The main thing is that it feels like such a slow windup to start creating clones, I was just tired of it by the end. It feels like it could lose the whole charge meter and it'd work so much better for bosses or puzzles where you're repeatedly trying to do it and losing the clones somehow.

So, I'm glad it's easily playable again and I had fun going through it, but it's too mixed to be on my overall favorites list.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whoa, I had no idea the Wii U eshop was on the same timetable as 3DS, I thought it was gone years ago :psyduck:
I'm doubly sad I couldn't resurrect my Wii U a while back, I like playing stuff like that with the multiscreen setup rather than an emulator.

It's the same backend behind the console API's, so it all goes with one switch-off. I'm just gonna load up my Nintendo account with like $100AUD off a gift card through the Switch and go ham on the 3DS and WiiU eShops.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Cartoon Man posted:

You’ll start the game by waking up in the shrine of resurrection. Link will stand up and go “Ah poo poo, here we go again.”
Follow the drat SHEKIAtrain, CJLink!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

unruly posted:

Follow the drat SHEKIAtrain, CJLink!

TotK ending spoilers

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

:discourse:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

You know what i was thinking I want? I want dungeons and sky and underground stuff for sure. But I want a snowy area, and a jungle area and all of that of course.

But I really want the soundtrack to be more of the awesome stuff from the first one, but I also want the Ballad of The Goddess to come in, just like the main Zelda theme doesn't kick into the final battle with Gannon in game one, but I want more of that. Because drat is the Ballad of the Goddess a banger of a track.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I definitely hope they’ve done more with the soundtrack this time around, Wind Walker’s soundtrack was incredible and as the poster above said, Ballad of the Goddess is just S-tier game music

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I get why they went that way with the soundtrack but I'm hoping since this is building on that, it will contain more future classic Zelda tracks. Skyward Sword may not be the best Zelda game but it's soundtrack creeps into my head often enough, main village especially is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I want a remix of the Zelda II overworld and palace themes. Being the black sheep of the series, the music really flies under the radar. The palace theme especially is a banger.