Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

there are low rolls, and then there’s getting pixel shocker as your mystery variant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Snackmar posted:

Just curious, what device are you playing on that the aspect ratio looks like that? Vertical 16:10 monitor on PC? (er technically 10:16 i guess)

Looks like iPad

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

buffalo all day posted:

there are low rolls, and then there’s getting pixel shocker as your mystery variant

I think Pixel Angel is probably the ugliest card I've seen so far

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Darke GBF posted:

I think Pixel Angel is probably the ugliest card I've seen so far

pixhellcow would like a moo-ment of your time

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Snackmar posted:

Just curious, what device are you playing on that the aspect ratio looks like that? Vertical 16:10 monitor on PC? (er technically 10:16 i guess)

I play mostly on PC, that's a cropped screenshot from 4k. The overall window looks like this: (Warning, big)

I took the default window tab and cropped it down for the relevant info to show up but it plays out in the right corner of my monitor while I watch Netflix/etc. and play out Snap.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

buffalo all day posted:

I got pixel Nakia, and she’s my 35th pixel variant that I’ve pulled as a random reward.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I want all the pixel variants so that I never have to be extremely disappointed by unboxing a pixel variant

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pesterchum posted:

I want all the pixel variants so that I never have to be extremely disappointed by unboxing a pixel variant

That's when they switch you to chibi

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

psychopomp posted:

Ahhh gently caress, was one game short of hitting 50 when the fucker I was playing deliberately dragged everything out just so that I was a few seconds short of being able to start a new match when the season reset.

Ah well.

Not sure I'm feeling Nimrod. Might skip the pass this season.

Honestly if you care about getting S5 cards, paying $10 to guarantee that one you maybe eventually someday open isn't the one you aren't really feeling is probably a good deal lol

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

When by all rights the deck matchup and turn 1 location reveal should have sunk you, but you still manage to pull out the win. (TBF I'm pretty sure this was a bot; lots of gold splits, and they slammed down their free Death on turn 1 instead of waiting until after playing Moon Girl.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Opopanax posted:

That's when they switch you to chibi

I like the chibi variants, tho.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Most of the Chibi's are fine, some of the baby variants are okay, but even the good pixels are pretty bad.

I just got this variant for CL2002, a nice little milestone:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I thought that the steampunk variant rush thingy would last the entire season, but no, it's actually just from March 21st to April 4th. Two more weeks to save up credits or simply not open collector's reserves for more shots at cosmetics I might not even use :shepface:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mierenneuker posted:

I thought that the steampunk variant rush thingy would last the entire season, but no, it's actually just from March 21st to April 4th. Two more weeks to save up credits or simply not open collector's reserves for more shots at cosmetics I might not even use :shepface:

I wouldn't use Cerebro because I have the Blueprints variant, but I'd probably use the others. Definitely Yellowjacket and Bishop.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
Peaked at 87 last season. Currently 52 and playing people who hit infinite last season. Going to be a fun climb.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Nimrod seems bad for the same reason that Wong is bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X06V_xh79sE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hoogland needs to gently caress off and play a game he likes. Leech is annoying, but when you play a narrow, highly telegraphed turn 6 combo deck in a Leech meta and never play around anything your opponent might do you don't get to whine about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't like Leech either but I don't really see it these days (probably because my MMR is through the floor).

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jedit posted:

Hoogland needs to gently caress off and play a game he likes. Leech is annoying, but when you play a narrow, highly telegraphed turn 6 combo deck in a Leech meta and never play around anything your opponent might do you don't get to whine about it.

Jeff is doing exactly what he wants, and that's getting people to click on his videos and have opinions about him. Negative engagement is the easiest to obtain and is generally more profitable than positive videos, and it's why he does it.

He's an rear end, but his methods work.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also I started last night at 40 and after over a dozen games, I'm still at 40. I am good at this.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I don't like his gameplay vids. I find his analysis vids to be pretty good (and he takes a completely different tone.) I liked this one because it seemed light hearted and also explains one of the problems that Nimrod faces.

Jedit posted:

when you play a narrow, highly telegraphed turn 6 combo deck in a Leech meta

This seems like the problem that Nimrod faces (and MODOK to a lesser extent). They are fragile build-around cards that wait until late in the game and have close to zero flexibility about when or where you play them.

You HAVE to play Nimrod on 5 and then you HAVE to play an on-reveal destroy card in its lane on 6. If you invest in ramp you can give yourself a little wiggle room. If you play Destroyer or Galactus you get a little more flexibility about lane placement but not timing.

This makes the deck supremely vulnerable to control (Aero / Leech / Cosmo) in a field where Shuri exists with an effect that is much harder to predict and counter.

I hope I'm wrong and there are better ways to make a Nimrod deck. But right now, I wish they'd made him a 4/4.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I played a couple different deck versions last night and was pretty underwhelmed. The point generation just isn't great compared to other decks, even if things pop off how you want.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Nimrod is a combo card that can't outpoint shuri and can't run aero as well as shuri can. It's not much fun to build decks that never beat 30 power red skull.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Nimrod just doesn't do enough at 5 energy, but I think it's likely it'll get buffed somewhere down the line

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Nimrod might have been okay when Altar of Death was featured, but a 5/5 in 2 locations is pretty anemic. I don't even care about him, but 10 dollars for a bunch of gold and credits is a pretty good deal. Not pulling the card in 3 months is pretty good too.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Glad he’s not that good, gently caress galactus

Honestly don’t care about Galactus but that deck shouldn’t be buffed imo

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I played an opponent in the middle of the night (the baby is sick so I was up) who snapped when I had dropped a T1 Zabu mid onto the Rickety bridge. I was running a modified version of Jedit's Modok and thought they snapped because of that. Zabu is in that deck basically only to play a 4 point card on 3, so I plowed onwards.

Turns out it was Nimrod. The opponent ramped him onto the bridge via a T4 Electro (on the bridge), T5 Hulkbuster/Venom, T6 Destroyer. So, perfect location for it, perfectly executed combo, and bad fortune for the opponent. That was good to barely squeek out a win.

In short, he seems to be a cool, but objectively worse, subset of the destruction archetype. Doesn't seem worth building around, but also probably not good enough to be in the deck if it's not built around him? Maybe this'll be like Miles Morales Spider-man and it'll find a home outside of its home archetype but I am not good enough to imagine how that would go. Or maybe it just needs the meta to shift away from Thanos with T5 leaches and Shuri with Cosmo/Armour.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 7, 2023

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Nimrod is a destroy synergy 5 drop in a meta where there are two S tier decks. One of them runs Armor, Cosmo, and Aero. The other cheats out Leech as early as T3 and also runs Aero. I don’t see how it could be playable before those decks are nerfed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

DrOgreface posted:

Nimrod is a destroy synergy 5 drop in a meta where there are two S tier decks. One of them runs Armor, Cosmo, and Aero. The other cheats out Leech as early as T3 and also runs Aero. I don’t see how it could be playable before those decks are nerfed.
The bigger issue imo is that it often makes less points than either of those decks even when its not disrupted. You need to hit a perfect electro -> nimrod -> destroyer -> carnage+venom curve or else it doesnt do much (and those are scary cards to play into aero if you dont have prio).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 7, 2023

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah. Dr Doom is barely playable on 6.

In what circumstances does Nimrod+whatever on 6 beat out anything at all on 5 + Dr Doom?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

IMHO it's ok and maybe a good thing if the seasonal card isn't meta-definingly good right off the bat.

As for how good it is it seems like a Multiple Man with Destroy instead of Move trigger, and 5/5 instead of 2/3 which seems a lot more expensive for the two extra power. I think it will have the same problem as Multiple Man which is it needs a lot of free space to put all its copies in. It might fit well into some decks but can't see why you would want to build a deck around it. Maybe Nimrod / Arnim would work with Shuri and Forge or something but idk.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 7, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shuri>Nimrod>Venom+Carnage to another lane is a 40+ point spread. Easily countered but fun when it works.

Basically I’m just running a Shuri/BP/Zola deck with Nimrod and destruction for that last turn. Storm to lock down a lane early.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 7, 2023

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I wonder if it'll get better with negasonic teenage warhead which will let you -preload- a destroy trigger.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

doingitwrong posted:

In what circumstances does Nimrod+whatever on 6 beat out anything at all on 5 + Dr Doom?

You can do two Nimrod triggers T6 with Deathlok/Venom.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

I wonder if it'll get better with negasonic teenage warhead which will let you -preload- a destroy trigger.
It's certainly something the deck could use. Shuri is probably just better but maybe they'll nerf shuri in some far distant future.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The devs seem ok with Shuri. Which is weird considering the bullet they put in Leader, and Leech Leader was far easier to play around.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Like I said far distant future. Maybe after she's had a year and a half as the top deck, dont want to rush it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

drat you Ego! I trusted you. At least my opponent immediately snapped and fist bumps throughout the whole game.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

A month or so back there was some interview where they revealed the data showed the worst card (lowest winrate when played) was Shang Chi which was surprising to me. (It also mentioned the top win rate card back then was Human Torch)

Don't know how reliable this is but he does seem like a card that looks great at first but the more I think about it the less good it looks?
- Meta-dependent low-power high-cost does-nothing card unless your opponent plays high power cards
- Is a 4-cost card but must normally be played after your opponent's Turn 5/6 play, asking you to play a 4 cost card on turn 5/6.
- Can't counter turn 6 plays if you don't have turn advantage
- Also must often guess the correct lane or it's a wasted play
- Countered by common cards Cosmo, Armor
- Even if it hits, still only worth 3 power in one lane and far from guaranteed to win you that lane
- If you played it it means you probably spent that turn and then can't play the usual strong combos.

I can kind of understand it being a low-winrate card from the perspective of, if you played it, it means there are better cards for your deck that you didn't pick. But it's still funny to me that one of the seemingly scariest cards your opponent might play, so scary that you plan your plays around it, is actually potentially the worst card in the game. Basically it feels awesome to hit, feels horrible to get hit by, but its massive downsides are much less obviously apparent and you're not immediately seeing the other much better plays that could have been done instead, or the 1 out of 10 games where he grabs a win doesn't make up for the other 9 out of 10 games where he's a dead weight card in your deck.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bisse posted:

IMHO it's ok and maybe a good thing if the seasonal card isn't meta-definingly good right off the bat.

As for how good it is it seems like a Multiple Man with Destroy instead of Move trigger, and 5/5 instead of 2/3 which seems a lot more expensive for the two extra power. I think it will have the same problem as Multiple Man which is it needs a lot of free space to put all its copies in. It might fit well into some decks but can't see why you would want to build a deck around it. Maybe Nimrod / Arnim would work with Shuri and Forge or something but idk.

Multiple Man seems better because you can drop him 2, Hulkbuster 3, Cloak 4, then Strange 5 and you got like 4 7 power fellas sitting around, unshangable. Then if you Baldur 6 you get even more. This is just... I don't know? You don't get him out quick enough to get much. If he was 4/5 it would be a decent card.

Like, if you could drop him 4, Hulkbuster/Carnage him 5, then Destroyer the whole mess it might be worth it.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 7, 2023