Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lu Bu fight is fun but I am being dominated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can drop jewel fragments for the pandas. not sure exactly how many you need for a good result but 100 gets me a 4 star every time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i feel like i'm missing something during the lu bu fight. it's entirely reactive, i literally can't swing at him without eating a shitload of damage because he never stops for breath, and waiting to bait out his red attacks doesn't work because i can't parry his regular combos reliably enough to keep up my health bar

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

i feel like i'm missing something during the lu bu fight. it's entirely reactive, i literally can't swing at him without eating a shitload of damage because he never stops for breath, and waiting to bait out his red attacks doesn't work because i can't parry his regular combos reliably enough to keep up my health bar

the best i can recommend is to watch ongbal's hitless lu bu video, as that'll give a good benchmark for what kind of attacks can be safely punished and the approximate timings for when you need to parry his combo

i find that even just hearing the rhythm of deflections can help to clue me in for how my inputs should go

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Came back fresh tonight and beat the fire mage first try, turns out I just had to stop caring about how long it took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfEMwpZCEJ4

Following that I unlocked the standalone demon monkey boss fight and got a fairly clean clear on him first try as well :yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCxyX2KWrOQ

Being able to jump around levels from any flag is great, but not having a map screen cursor is really messing with me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

i'd say the biggest difference for me is that the act of deflecting vs. dodge rolling away feels far more active due to how it directly contributes to victory via spirit building and deflect counterattacks. it makes every encounter feel much more like you're actively progressing towards a goal, even when you're on the defensive, whereas pure dodge rolling can often feel too much like you're spinning your wheels while you wait for the opportunity to do something cool

i wonder if the devs were looking at code vein at all when they were developing wo long, because it had a similar (though admittedly clunkier and less satisfying) mechanic where just dodges would fill up a meter and eventually grant you a buff. it's a great evolution of the basic format

The fact that if you just spam dodge/parry there is a spirit cost is loving amazing idea. That's what I meant when I said Team Ninja add little changes to the formula but they completely change the balance of the game. They want every action to have a consequence and really reward the player's skill/improvement.

a.p. dent posted:

i dunno about you all but i never, ever remember to use my divine beast. especially when it would really help

The thing is with this burst type abilities in most games you can maybe use this type of ability once per level but in this and Nioh(living weapon) you can build the meter so freaking fast that it's always good to use it in any remotely hard encounter. But as gamers we have been just tuned to never use this type of stuff except when we really need it. Code Vein actually had a similar burst type mechanic, I always forgot it existed. I think out of all the games with this type of mechanics the best was Sekiro. You built up a 2nd life by fighting/parrying properly and it's very clear cut when you should revive/when you shouldn't. Sometimes you just get clipped but still have potions left so you would revive while other times it was better to die and keep the revive.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 7, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah even when I used it during, say, a boss fight and then immediately died, I would usually be able to build it back up partway into the fight again.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Ending spoilers

Turtle man was a joke, I kinda just stood in front and beat on him. Embodiment of demonic ki only took me 3 attempts but that was weird and dumb. I was feeling annoyed before realizing that wasn’t the last boss.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oxxidation posted:

if you make his horse think of ants it will die

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
beat him. that was not pleasant

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So I 1 shot the Zhang Jiao fight and then the game crashed during the cutscene after, re-played it and skipped cutscene, still crash. Nice.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Wow the level with Sun Ce and Sun Quan runs terribly. I was perfectly fine until that level. Is it the water? Is there anyway to turn it off?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Imposing Slab is borderline OP

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oxxidation posted:

Throw a few water spells at him to dispel his fire buff

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

My head hurts

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

finished up NG, and it was a truly excellent time. the final mission's stretch of bosses were a bit too easy for my taste, but i suspect near-max wood was helping me out a lot, and i understand them undertuning the base game so that no one gets massively stuck in the home stretch

think i might wait until the mouselook patch drops and then go for NG+ and see how that goes

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Last night I did a sub mission where you have a single fight against a mini boss gorilla thing and after that it threw me straight into the next story quest.

I was super confused and thinking how long is this sub mission.

I think it has something to do with the game naming missions as "battlefields" which is not very intuitive imo.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 7, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Yeah that confuses me too, wish they didn't autopunt you into the next main mission and make you load back out for any side missions you want to do. Kicking me out before I've had a chance to pick up any items that may be laying around is also some bullshit. This problem was fixed in Nioh 1 and 2, they un-fixed it :mad:

Thumbtacks posted:

My head hurts

Jokes on them, I'm still just leveling everything evenly :smuggo:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 7, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thumbtacks posted:

My head hurts

This rules lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lu Bu is the test of 'did you know you can block and parry at the same time - it's safe and easy!'

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

How the gently caress are you supposed to do the sub mission against the 3 person ganksquad. This loving sucks, even worse than the fight against Zhang Rang. At least there you were allowed to bring help.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can pretty consistently whittle Lu Bu down but when he does the jump attack I cannot get the timing down for the life of me and subsequently get one shot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

I can pretty consistently whittle Lu Bu down but when he does the jump attack I cannot get the timing down for the life of me and subsequently get one shot.

he has about a second of hang time at the peak of his ascent and accelerates rapidly on the way down

his charging impale got me way more often, to say nothing of the gently caress-you slash/stab he busts out if you actually try to combo him

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

KonvexKonkav posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to do the sub mission against the 3 person ganksquad. This loving sucks, even worse than the fight against Zhang Rang. At least there you were allowed to bring help.

It's the first mission that really asks you to put together an armor set and upgrade your weapon to make it easy.

Stop trying to do everything with melee only, they give you wizardry for a reason. The stone pillars and ice storm spells are especially strong if you stack +damage.

And finally you might just have to eat some ranged hits while focusing one guy down. It also might be time to check that you've been getting life pot upgrades (you should have 5-6? Uses by then)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

KonvexKonkav posted:

Imposing Slab all the way.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just face-tanked my way through the Aoye fight. Lightning weapon with staff basic attack stacks it fast, when lightning status goes up drop poison puddle, 2 statuses and it was taking tons of spirit damage, drop Qinglong and it lasts long enough to heal me through anything. I didn't parry poo poo lol.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

KonvexKonkav posted:

Throw another one on the "misguided attempt on gank fight based on a misunderstanding of what made O&S so good in DS1" pile

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 7, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KonvexKonkav posted:

sprint to space them out, as they only attack in a duo, leaving a single guy hanging back that you can then circle back around in on to get free hits on and slowly push into spirit disruption range

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

Throw another one on the "misguided attempt on gank fight based on a misunderstanding of what made O&S so good in DS1" pile

It's a random sub mission, it's more like invading Lautrec

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I got a lot of use out of the level 1 flame blast spell to and the lighting bolt spell that travels along the ground on that fight. Flame blast backs them up when they all charge you at once and the lighting bolt goes through and hits all 3 when they're lined up running after you. They also both stagger pretty consistently, which helps space the enemies out so you can let one come in for a parry and counter to generate some spirit before running away again.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

KonvexKonkav posted:

The hill and mud pool near the flag are your friend. You get them to walk through AOE spells. The dual sword guy is the easiest to kill. If you want cheese it Cast your spells near the hill, then sprint to other side of the map with the platform you will drop combat and regen spirit then repeat

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The marshal arts that apply a weapon buff seem to outclass everything because you basically getting a free spell slot. I should have paid more attention to various marshal arts.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Calidus posted:

The marshal arts that apply a weapon buff seem to outclass everything because you basically getting a free spell slot. I should have paid more attention to various marshal arts.

There are martial arts for certain weapon that help you gap close. This is really good for chasing enemies down.

I have to try it but I was wondering do martial arts animation cancel normal attacks? It wouldn't always be useful since most martial art have longer animation than normal attks but in some of them you can go in the air and dodge ground attacks.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

No but some of them can cancel into themselves, especially ones that make you jump+attack.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I wish you could change at least one martial art on a weapon. Sucks when you have a good one that's part of a set but both martial arts are the type with long windups that lock you into an animation for a long time. Basically makes them useless.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Thumbtacks posted:

My head hurts

If you're balanced, you get a bonus. The more of your stats are balanced, more bonuses.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L8mhe9I07s

Maybe I should be giving wizardry a chance...

I switched to this after getting a little bored of barely using magic and lmao this rules

I still want to give that toxic setup a shot but I need to wait until NG+ I think.

Bloodly posted:

If you're balanced, you get a bonus. The more of your stats are balanced, more bonuses.

Yeah, found a video of it but it's in Chinese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekdU9XBhss

Appears to be around 10% buff to all stats when everything is 30, so not really worth it but kinda interesting.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 7, 2023

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I started playing around with fire + metal and you can just explode stuff with combos of poison nuke + amplify damage + overpower burst + fire nuke of your choice.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Does anyone have a breakdown on weapons having different deflect windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

tote up a bags posted:

O&S is good because it's chill, fairly easy, and makes you feel like a hero.