Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

crepeface posted:

lol ok so UK followed the US lead and imposed sanctions on xinjiang which grows 35% of the world's tomatoes and now there's such a shortage that they're being rationed at supermarkets?!

Passing by a little local hole-in-the-wall supermarket this morning and they had boxes of the things piled high.

Are my local Asian shops part of a worldwide tomato-smuggling ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Get the wine ready

Edit: already started

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Medical students urged to fill gaps when junior doctors strike in England

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Runcible Cat posted:

Passing by a little local hole-in-the-wall supermarket this morning and they had boxes of the things piled high.

Are my local Asian shops part of a worldwide tomato-smuggling ring?

idk, i just saw articles about purchasing limits

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

RIP English sick people

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Something something experienced with scabs

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

keep punching joe posted:

Hope they get their citizenship removed

I'm hoping for denazification

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

gonadic io posted:

Something something experienced with scabs

Lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/SWPCardiff/status/1631704518160154638?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tweet deleted but i can only assume it was an advert for their newspaper, because selling newspapers is the only reason Trots exist

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
all you need is the image from the tweet

kecske
Feb 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the tweet thread was full of people ripping on them for chasing a guy who was lifting baby supplies

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I love it when police force babies to go hungry presumably is the thing here.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The absolute best/worst interpretation of that it is that people desperate for money know that other people with very young children need that stuff but can't afford to buy it in the shops.

What a fight for justice it is to deny these middle men the chance to provide for the desperately poor families.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
god I loving hate coppers

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

so brave

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The United States has changed it's status from "In a Special Relationship" to "It's complicated"

https://twitter.com/TIMEWorld/status/1631754196444758016?s=20

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

The United States has changed it's status from "In a Special Relationship" to "It's complicated"

https://twitter.com/TIMEWorld/status/1631754196444758016?s=20

I'm sure the ambassador will be there. Maybe we'll dig up Kamala and kick her over your way so she doesn't gently caress anything up over here.

Brandon's got enough Irish in him that he's not a big fan of the British Monarchy. Which is a funny thing to say about an American president but also true.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm sure the ambassador will be there. Maybe we'll dig up Kamala and kick her over your way so she doesn't gently caress anything up over here.

Brandon's got enough Irish in him that he's not a big fan of the British Monarchy. Which is a funny thing to say about an American president but also true.

Isn't Kamala as Indian (or more) as Joe is Irish? Surely she has even less reason to attend on that basis...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
so is this special relationship thing actually anything more than a comforting lie the british ruling classes tell themselves so they can pretend that they're still relevant by way of association?

asking because i don't think i've ever seen any yanks actually give a poo poo or even mention it very much outside state visits and the like

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
with the loss of the raj the british have been slowly tumbling into the american orbit. Three generations later they are essentially a cultural outpost of the USA with their greatest cultural export being sending actors to make it big in hollywood, dancing to the tune the american market plays.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it all started when they put that big movie cinema next to the dual carriage way near the city outskirts.
people used to walk around offering you snacks in your seats, back when england was a real country and we called every cinema The Odeon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1631688786500366338?t=sBuXQhJFCj3NH8tWGgbHxQ&s=19

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

so is this special relationship thing actually anything more than a comforting lie the british ruling classes tell themselves so they can pretend that they're still relevant by way of association?

asking because i don't think i've ever seen any yanks actually give a poo poo or even mention it very much outside state visits and the like

The "Special Relationship" has become much more unequal since the Thatcher years. And even moreso since you shot yourselves in both feet with Brexit.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

as far as i can gather the special relationship is reserved for the city of london and rada trained actors, it doesn’t even really get mentioned as much anymore? at least since brexiteers stopped trying to convince everyone that we had a golden free trade deal secretly in the works

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerebral Bore posted:

In a word, no.

It's bollocks that's always been attractive to a certain strain of right winger because of shared bounds of grotesque capitalism and the English language. Which implies the continent isn't just as in love with grotesque capitalism but hey, fantasist all the way down

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

Tweet deleted but i can only assume it was an advert for their newspaper, because selling newspapers is the only reason Trots exist

You forgot about the sex abuse cults

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Considering what they've both got up to with mi5 well...

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1632672778808709120?t=gWwOd28w5F1NwPKil-nI_Q&s=19

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

it was once

I think last time it meant anything was mid Blaire era

but it only meant something in that we were useful. Now we're not but our elites are still making decisions assuming the US ultimately genuinely cares for us, or at least our upper classes. They're going to find out what happens to the colonial periphery in bad times. The worst thing about all this? Ultimately once the shock wares off the money'd classes will dust themselves off and just move to the core.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Mar 6, 2023

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

I mean I doubt he did approach her, their handlers probably got together and worked out a deal over a pint.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s almost like he’s trying to sabotage his own reelection bid, like a reverse Stephen King “dead zone” were he knows he will be the one to start a nuclear holocaust but the future…the future refuses to change, dammit

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

it was once

I think last time it meant anything was mid Blaire era

but it only meant something in that we were useful. Now we're not but our elites are still making decisions assuming the US ultimately genuinely cares for us, or at least our upper classes. They're going to find out what happens to the colonial periphery in bad times. The worst thing about all this? Ultimately once the shock wares off the money'd classes will dust themselves off and just move to the core.

I mean, we'd show up if poo poo went really pear shaped over there. Like if a nuke plant exploded or if you ran out of food or whatever. But we're not going to pop over to save you from venal elites and a lovely press.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I mean, we'd show up if poo poo went really pear shaped over there. Like if a nuke plant exploded or if you ran out of food or whatever. But we're not going to pop over to save you from venal elites and a lovely press.

Oh man. Now, I'm not saying I want some horrible calamity to befall Britain. But you have to admit tens of thousands of British refugees being taken in by kind-hearted Americans would lead to some pretty funny situations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The new refugee plans look like they will ban seeking asylum for most intents and purposes, it's powerfully poo poo.

In fact it looks like it will be more draconian than what Australia is doing, which is an achievement, since it will apply to all illegal entrants, not just by boat, and will focus on returns regardless of duty of care.

Refugee plan pushes limits of international law, says Suella Braverman

Suella being the one sponsoring the law, the above is a boast.

e: They changed the headline since I posted it LMBO, cowards. The quote is still in the article though, if expanded.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 10:29 on Mar 7, 2023

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I can't believe Priti Patel is a preferable home sec to this monster. It's like every time I think they can't get any more evil they are just like "hold my beer".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they've got absolutely nothign for the next election and they know it but have an absolutely massive majority so they're drat well going to use it on this poo poo. they're not going to fix any of the poo poo that actually needs it so everything is just going to get insanely worse until keith lurches in and undoes none of it becuase he's a useless shite

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'm sure someone in this thread recommended "Water of Death" by Paul Johnston but search isn't coming up with anything except Dune stuff.
Anyway - just read it and it's fab. So thanks for that!
Published in 1999 and set in future Edinburgh of 2025.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
remember when theresa may was a monstrously evil home secretary

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Remember when Theresa May was the image of a poo poo PM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
remember not being old enough to know things