Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

unruly posted:

There was an interesting breakdown of the chips and performance of the SteamDeck's internals that I saw on HN today.

TL;DR: Basically, the CPU and memory are bottlenecks, but the custom GPU is an interesting bit of tech. Which makes sense. Lots of room for improvement if Valve wants to follow up with a "SteamDeck 2". Probably best to hold off for a couple of years while stuff gets more power efficient and developers can target a stable platform.

Edit: I'm wondering if a eGPU is something that is possible on the SteamDeck. USB3 has lots of bandwidth, but I don't know if it's enough to make it worthwhile.

As with all articles talking about this, they don't take heat and battery life into the equation. This one sentence sums it up

quote:

Perhaps Valve did so in order to extend battery life at the expense of responsiveness. After all, the Steam Deck is designed for long running tasks like games.
/
:thunk:

e: nevermind I can't read

Vic fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

unruly posted:

Edit: I'm wondering if a eGPU is something that is possible on the SteamDeck. USB3 has lots of bandwidth, but I don't know if it's enough to make it worthwhile.

Nope

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

unruly posted:

Yeah it’s not exactly easy.

https://youtu.be/ue0A2Sxr5Fc

It works though!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s not exactly easy.

https://youtu.be/ue0A2Sxr5Fc

It works though!
I thought so. Neat idea, but I can imagine it adds more complexity than is worth it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

if your fonts get pixely you turned on half-rate shading

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Ah, that might be the issue I had with Pathfinder WotR having unreadable text even while using the zoom feature. I think I already uninstalled it, though, and don't feel like downloading it again to check.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mescal posted:

if your fonts get pixely you turned on half-rate shading

This is the way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m surprised that the memory is a bottleneck given that they opted for DDR5. (I assume that AMD still lets you mix and match memory support for semi-custom.)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think I want to try streaming from my laptop to the Deck, what solution do people like best? Moonlight?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think I want to try streaming from my laptop to the Deck, what solution do people like best? Moonlight?

Parsec

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Steam remote play

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Moonlight

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Steam remote play is fine but not great over wifi

Moonlight is apparently really good but I haven't used it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Cowman posted:

Steam remote play is fine but not great over wifi

Moonlight is apparently really good but I haven't used it.

I'll show you how to set it up in the discord

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You know what doesn't need setting up? That's right, Steam Remote Play

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

homeless snail posted:

You know what doesn't need setting up? That's right, Steam Remote Play

Moonlight's pretty quick and painless to set up and it works pretty well. I never really had trouble with Steam Remote Play but Moonlight is a pretty good option too. Once I get my dock I'm going to try streaming some more demanding stuff to it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Cowman posted:

Moonlight's pretty quick and painless to set up and it works pretty well. I never really had trouble with Steam Remote Play but Moonlight is a pretty good option too. Once I get my dock I'm going to try streaming some more demanding stuff to it.

Yeah that was really painless, even if I was scatterbrained, sorry

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 7, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Moonlight worked better (vs steam remote) for me over WiFi and was easy to set up.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Remote Play is garbage

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Works fine on my network + allows me to use all of the buttons on this thing

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Back when I was still using a cellphone with a Razer Kishi to play portable games and emulation, Remote Play was pretty amazing over wifi. The game felt like it was running natively for most of it and the few times there were drops, they were never game breaking.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

homeless snail posted:

Works fine on my network + allows me to use all of the buttons on this thing

Not sure what you mean? I use the R5 as mouse click, and L5 as F11 (fullscreen/windowed)

All the buttons work fine

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
My Steam Deck seems to lose power when connected to the JSAUX dock, even when it says it's charging. I'm using a 65W USB C cable. Anyone else seen this?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hiro Protagonist posted:

My Steam Deck seems to lose power when connected to the JSAUX dock, even when it says it's charging. I'm using a 65W USB C cable. Anyone else seen this?

Sounds like you shouldve gotten the official one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Barreft posted:

Not sure what you mean? I use the R5 as mouse click, and L5 as F11 (fullscreen/windowed)

All the buttons work fine
If you're not using Steam Input, which Moonlight isn't compatible with, you're gaming like a caveman on this thing

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

homeless snail posted:

If you're not using Steam Input, which Moonlight isn't compatible with, you're gaming like a caveman on this thing

I'm using Steam Input... I think you're unsure what you're talking about

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Me hit A button with rock

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

homeless snail posted:

Me hit A button with rock

:lmao:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My Steam Deck’s been acting too funky with the JSAUX Dock lately, so I’ve stopped using it. Gonna have to get an official one soon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only issue I've had with the JSAUX deck is having to plug my controller back into the cable every time it turns on before the Deck will recognize its existence, otherwise it's worked perfectly for me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Super No Vacancy posted:

anybody tried ‘greenlight’ which is apparently a dedicated client for gamepass streaming? is it considerably better than the edge setup?

No, but the edge setup works pretty well.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I got my deck yesterday woo woo, time to start getting through that backlog...

I have some questions about various tweaks and things. Is cryotools the second coming it's made out to be? I did the bios tweak to up the minimum gpu memory and it took cyberpunk up to a solid 30fps on balanced FSR which is nice but do I actually need to do the paging changes?

Does anyone have any recommended racing games for this thing? Something that I can just pop into every now and then when I want to go fast for a bit.

There's a lot of "oh you need to do this or it's unplayable" stuff flying around like installing proton-ge and all that sort of thing but I guess that's more of a "if you can't get it to hit 30/40 then maybe give this a try" situation?

I love it so far, I am excited to finally put some time into the Yakuza series and maybe finish Cyberpunk (lol). I'm just worried about getting the most out of it and not breaking it because spending this much money on myself was a big ole anxiety trigger.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LeFishy posted:

Does anyone have any recommended racing games for this thing? Something that I can just pop into every now and then when I want to go fast for a bit.

Wreckfest is good fun and runs great.

For something a bit more top down and casual, Art of Rally and Absolute Drift are good time killers.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

To that goon who wanted a compatibility testing site that included performance as a metric, Steam Deck HQ (very 00's name) has SD-specific evaluations of games including actual FPS and the settings used:

https://steamdeckhq.com/game-settings/

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I’ve been chewing through snow runner on my deck it’s a great before bedtime game and runs really well in the deck

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LeFishy posted:

I have some questions about various tweaks and things. Is cryotools the second coming it's made out to be? I did the bios tweak to up the minimum gpu memory and it took cyberpunk up to a solid 30fps on balanced FSR which is nice but do I actually need to do the paging changes?
These kinds of tweaks may work for particularly demanding games to give you just enough of a performance boost to hit an acceptable framerate, but they won't necessarily have a benefit across the board. Like, if CryoUtilities sorted out the exact VM parameters to give an optimal boost to Cyberpunk--that's great--but it might not help Returnal or things like that.

As a general statement, SteamOS is constantly in flux and while updates aren't as frequent as they used to be, they still happen and when they do sometimes they resolve issues that previously required community workarounds. A big one right now is you need to use PowerTools to disable SMT to get optimal performance in emulators require high per-thread performance, but this is something that should no longer be required as of SteamOS 3.5.

LeFishy posted:

There's a lot of "oh you need to do this or it's unplayable" stuff flying around like installing proton-ge and all that sort of thing but I guess that's more of a "if you can't get it to hit 30/40 then maybe give this a try" situation?
Probably the biggest benefit to Proton GE is that it contains support for proprietary media codecs that Valve can't ship with the included Proton, so it will make cutscenes/FMVs/etc work in games (often older titles) where they simply wouldn't work otherwise. It's also a catch-all for the latest patches and performance fixes, but you're probably not going to see major FPS boosts from using Proton GE these days compared to in the past.

Honestly you don't need to do anything on the Deck despite some guide or, frankly, myself telling you to. If the experience is enjoyable for you as is, don't sweat it.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly you don't need to do anything on the Deck despite some guide or, frankly, myself telling you to. If the experience is enjoyable for you as is, don't sweat it.

This is honestly the answer I expected but it's still good to ask. I definitely felt the difference from doing the BIOS UMA Memory change for example.

I'm coming from a switch being my primary gaming device (and a surface laptop go 2 lol) so playing Cyberpunk in 30~fps FSR blurrovision is an improvement on pretty much anything either of those have offered in terms of performance or visuals.

And my beloved Train Sim World 3 runs relatively well too hooray.

So far I'm loving this little thing, really opening up the backlog that got seriously shut down when I changed jobs and had to give back my powerful "work" desktop, just need Bungie to pull their heads out their arses and I'll be golden.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

LeFishy posted:

This is honestly the answer I expected but it's still good to ask. I definitely felt the difference from doing the BIOS UMA Memory change for example.

I'm coming from a switch being my primary gaming device (and a surface laptop go 2 lol) so playing Cyberpunk in 30~fps FSR blurrovision is an improvement on pretty much anything either of those have offered in terms of performance or visuals.

And my beloved Train Sim World 3 runs relatively well too hooray.

So far I'm loving this little thing, really opening up the backlog that got seriously shut down when I changed jobs and had to give back my powerful "work" desktop, just need Bungie to pull their heads out their arses and I'll be golden.

there's stuff you can use to tinker like Decky (which is a must imo) and EmuDeck (also a must) but in reality the deck is great out of the box with no tinkering required.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Cowman posted:

there's stuff you can use to tinker like Decky (which is a must imo) and EmuDeck (also a must) but in reality the deck is great out of the box with no tinkering required.

Yeah I grabbed decky straight away for the protondb link in library plug-in. I actually have no interest in emulation at all right now honestly. I got this thing instead of a cheap gaming laptop to try and let myself be a bit excited about games news. Like I say I’m coming from switch so even playing something modern at 30fps with all the settings turned down is gonna be great!

Any other decky plugins to grab? Vibrantdeck sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

LeFishy posted:

Yeah I grabbed decky straight away for the protondb link in library plug-in. I actually have no interest in emulation at all right now honestly. I got this thing instead of a cheap gaming laptop to try and let myself be a bit excited about games news. Like I say I’m coming from switch so even playing something modern at 30fps with all the settings turned down is gonna be great!

Any other decky plugins to grab? Vibrantdeck sounds interesting.

pretty much anything that sounds interesting or worthwhile is worth grabbing, go nuts!