Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rassum frassum outlaw mud show blargle argle.

Edit: Amazing page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Isnt cornette famously one of those dingleberries who purposely did not get trained so he wouldnt be asked to take bumps

And then he let himself get bullied into taking bumps and just took them wrong and got hurt nearly every time

I have faint memory of cornette saying so on a youshoot or something

No, he took bumps. Normal ones at least. Remember when he wrestled the ninja turtle?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mulaney Power Move posted:

No, he took bumps. Normal ones at least. Remember when he wrestled the ninja turtle?

He may have known how to bump by then, but I think the dude never got actually trained to fully fledged wrestle, just picked up poo poo on the job

Again, half remembered bullshit from when i was a shoot viewer, back in college. So could certainly be wrong!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dawgstar posted:

Rassum frassum outlaw mud show blargle argle.

Edit: Amazing page snipe.

New thread name please.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Duke Pukem posted:

Its worth posting again, funny as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sd3ZcSto2k

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You gotta hand it to Cornette, he did a real good job putting over that Wick's pizza

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cornette definitely put over the scaffold, that’s for sure

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

EDIT: Nah deleting this, there's transphobia in it, gently caress Cornette.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 7, 2023

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
But there were no - well it's not like that would stop him, really.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jim Cornette's opinions are best shouted from an abandoned well

Takuan
May 6, 2007

For the past year or so I keep seeing people say the phrase "Wrestling used to be a simulated fight."
Is this a Cornette line? It seems like a Cornette line.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Takuan posted:

For the past year or so I keep seeing people say the phrase "Wrestling used to be a simulated fight."
Is this a Cornette line? It seems like a Cornette line.

I don't recall it in the lexicon but I do recall something along the lines of "wrestling used to look like a REAL fight" he's said before because when I look at a viral TikTok of two drunk dudes going at it in Tiger Stadium they're busting out DDTs and Argentine backbreakers.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I don't recall it in the lexicon but I do recall something along the lines of "wrestling used to look like a REAL fight" he's said before because when I look at a viral TikTok of two drunk dudes going at it in Tiger Stadium they're busting out DDTs and Argentine backbreakers.

I'm not sure wrestling ever looked like two drunken idiots wildly flailing while the victor is the person whose pants hasn't fallen down around their ankles.

Now I'm sure it's tempting to make a WWE joke here

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Wrestling isn't MEANT to look like a real fight. Real fights are ugly and look like poo poo.

Wrestling is meant to look like the story of a fight, with better pacing, flashier things happening, and emotional heft.

If your wrestling match looks like what a fight actually looks like, you've failed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lamuella posted:

Wrestling isn't MEANT to look like a real fight. Real fights are ugly and look like poo poo.

Wrestling is meant to look like the story of a fight, with better pacing, flashier things happening, and emotional heft.

If your wrestling match looks like what a fight actually looks like, you've failed.

Pretend i posted the video of some drunken brawl where a guy gets shoot piledrivered and totally no sells it.

The people who want this almost never watch actual shootstyle Pro wrestling

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wrestling is still a simulation of a fight. That hasn't changed. I think those people don't really know what they mean.

And sure, pro wrestling did used to look like an actual wrestling match, but that was well and truly gone by the time Jim Cornette was born. Even in the 30s, when the in-ring action looked plausible, you still had masked man gimmicks and outrageous screwjobs that were hard to believe. Ricky Morton didn't wrestle Dick Shikat.

I think the idea that 70s fans were marks is something that Cornette started exaggerating in his first shoot interviews. Then he doubled down on it, along with every other aspect of the character he plays in "shoot" interviews, until he became this parody of himself who can't go a minute without saying something offensive and expects you to believe that the Midnight Express were chased by mobs with pitchforks and torches.

In another thread I brought up some old Disco Inferno essays that I can't find now. In one of them, he pointed out that some boxer had recently lost a championship title because they found out that he cheated by putting plaster in his gloves. That puts to bed the idea that a legitimate sporting match could be won by cheating when there's video footage of him whacking his opponent with a loving chair.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Pretend i posted the video of some drunken brawl where a guy gets shoot piledrivered and totally no sells it.

The people who want this almost never watch actual shootstyle Pro wrestling

I was thinking of that fight that went viral at the Taco Bell in the UK where the customer who throws this wild overhand and the Taco Bell employee does a frankly picture perfect duck under, picks the guy up and bodyslams him face first onto the linoleum. That's an actual fight.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If someone in a wrestling ring did the waffle house chair catch I would pop like a motherfucker.

https://twitter.com/WeekendTwitr/status/1607919795726438401?t=LNUfe-3Tf5kumjSrvWV6Ig&s=19

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm not quite sure what a "mark" is, or more, to put it in a post-modern context what a "mark" is supposed to indicate. You get people in threads saying stuff like, "OMG I bit!!!" And, yes? You're supposed to. It's entertainment. Saying the entertainment entertained is somehow the sign of a mark? Like wrestling is actually something you try to figure out where you see all the levers being pulled and enter The Matrix like Neo.

I'd like to think it goes back to "carny" days saying, "I can't believe we got these schmucks to pay for this!" :10bux: But they did pay for it, and they were entertained, and it made their life better. Now they're going home tired but still full of adrenalin and talking about the big fight. How bad?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In the context Cornette's talking about, someone who believes wrestling is real, or at least real enough that they want to maim someone in the parking lot for pretending to win a pretend match by pretending to cheat.

Anyway, this one's my favourite.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Man, d'von can still move

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Imo, the last time wrestling could be truly considered “looking like two dudes actually fighting” was back when harley race and jerry blackwell were still wrestling

Sorry Jim, them days have long since past

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, not really. Can you think of a real fight where someone was beat up so bad they couldn't move, while the other guy decided to climb up the wall and then jump on him headfirst, instead of just stomping on him or something?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

In the context Cornette's talking about, someone who believes wrestling is real, or at least real enough that they want to maim someone in the parking lot for pretending to win a pretend match by pretending to cheat.

Anyway, this one's my favourite.

BAAAAAAAAACKDROPPU DURIVAH

drat, I miss Morishima

Edit: you obviously haven’t gotten in many fights behind the theatre building, Jack

I mostly mean that the look of dudes back then were often more “average joes spoiling for a fight”, like the long running joke that arn anderson is actually your stepdad who works nights and if he got woken up during the day, it was your rear end

Nowadays folks look like athletes there for a competition, not just for a fight. I prefer it this way.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 7, 2023

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

rotinaj posted:

Imo, the last time wrestling could be truly considered “looking like two dudes actually fighting” was back when harley race and jerry blackwell were still wrestling

Sorry Jim, them days have long since past

Harley Race was a spot monkey who would do multiple diving headbutts in a long match

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lamuella posted:

If someone in a wrestling ring did the waffle house chair catch I would pop like a motherfucker.

https://twitter.com/WeekendTwitr/status/1607919795726438401?t=LNUfe-3Tf5kumjSrvWV6Ig&s=19

This is Ricky Starks blocking the Judas Effect.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wrestling never resembled a real fight. 100 years ago it resembled a grappling match, but never a fight. Shortly thereafter you saw the introduction of football players doing tackles and such and it stopped looking real, and by the time they added more fighting elements it definitely didn't look real.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I would say that it's completely legit to want a style of wrestling that resembles a combat sport. UWF-E style matches are cool as poo poo. But they're a flavour rather than the flavour. (and combat sports don't look like fights either)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

So Corny wants it back to when he thinks people were more gullible? Even if like 90 percent or more people still knew it was all pre-determined, even the backwoods sons of the soil in Bucksnort, Tennessee?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

So Corny wants it back to when he thinks people were more gullible? Even if like 90 percent or more people still knew it was all pre-determined, even the backwoods sons of the soil in Bucksnort, Tennessee?

Yeah because his entire gimmick is that one “lol I was just pretending” meme writ large.

At some point along the way he’s switched from remembering that he might ever have enjoyed wrestling for what it is to mostly just enjoying the feeling that he was some kind of awesome puppet master tricking people and making them believe in the illusions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I don't know what's in his head, but I don't think he really wants to change anything insofar as he knows you can't rewind time. He's playing to his audience, and if Maki Itoh and the Young Bucks and AEW went away, how would he make money by saying "oval office" every five seconds and calling people pedophiles? It's a work, and to the extent he really believes the poo poo he says, it just makes the work more believable.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, not really. Can you think of a real fight where someone was beat up so bad they couldn't move, while the other guy decided to climb up the wall and then jump on him headfirst, instead of just stomping on him or something?

It happens. I remember in my early twenties there was a fight out the front of a bar I used to go to regularly where a guy got laid out in a fight and the guy who hit him happened to have his car parked just in front of where he knocked him down, so he got into it and backed it over the guy. Anyway, that didn't really end too well for either of them. :(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Sure, people do stuff like that. I'm just saying that by the 70s, obviously worked stuff was happening every 5 seconds in a wrestling match. The last time a reasonable person could believe a wrestling match was actually competitive was probably in the early 50s.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
You could say that wrestling these days is more "real" than when (and I'm pulling this wholesale from my arse) a promoter had their favourite and made sure they won. Nowadays you have an always connected, somewhat informed group of viewers influencing a promoter's decision. If a "wrestler" is "to win" they have to be able to bring something to the party. To be the best they have to offer the most, if only for a little while. It is a true meritoracy. A democratic low brow people's choice where viewers and money in the bank decide what's most important.

Unlike, however, high brow interests such as politics, economics and the morals of raw human rights this is all about who got their titty slapped more.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Wrestling was never ever intended to look like a "real fight".

Back in the olden days it was intended to look like a "real athletic contest". With rules, and skills, and a victor that earned their victory by using their skills in accordance with said rules.

Then to spice it up they added your "fake" beefs and storylines. Along the lines of "I don't like you, so instead of competing against you in this contest according to the rules, I will fight you and try and hurt you." But even then it was still framed as the two combatants were doing so withing the confines of an athletic contest. Not a fight.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

most wrestling moves come from old times when people would fight that way. there are people still in prison serving out life sentences from piledrivers. it was the 1960s back then

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in 1998 Ken shamrock became the world's dangerest fighter by winning the King of the Ring tournament, and by then most fighting in the streets had become more like what he does.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lamuella posted:

I would say that it's completely legit to want a style of wrestling that resembles a combat sport. UWF-E style matches are cool as poo poo. But they're a flavour rather than the flavour. (and combat sports don't look like fights either)

It's a flavour for a reason, pure sports style pro-wrestling just doesn't have the staying power that more character/entertainment focused pro-wrestling has.

For me the perfect presentation of wrestling is essentially mid 10s NJPW and TJPW where there's strong roots and emphasis in presenting an athletic competition but it's jam packed with strong characters, character moments, and storylines.

Also if you look at old wrestling matches they're very very heavy on over the top mime. (Which is great because comedy is an essential partner to wrestling)

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 8, 2023

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the idea that 70s fans were marks is something that Cornette started exaggerating in his first shoot interviews. Then he doubled down on it, along with every other aspect of the character he plays in "shoot" interviews, until he became this parody of himself who can't go a minute without saying something offensive and expects you to believe that the Midnight Express were chased by mobs with pitchforks and torches.

Something I think a lot of wrestling fans don't understand is when you're listening to a shoot interview of an old guy talking about all the 'riots' they caused what you're listening to is a professional con artist bragging about how good he was at his job.

fez_machine posted:

Also if you look at old wrestling matches they're very very heavy on over the top mime. (Which is great because comedy is an essential partner to wrestling)

What's fun is if you pointed this out to a self-professed old-school wrestling purist they'd probably get all mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Takuan posted:

Something I think a lot of wrestling fans don't understand is when you're listening to a shoot interview of an old guy talking about all the 'riots' they caused what you're listening to is a professional con artist bragging about how good he was at his job.

From what I've read about that era, I honestly think it's closer to listening to a professional clown bragging about how many times a crowd got too drunk and decided it would be funny to beat them up.