Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Open Source Idiom posted:

I that's come up in this(?) thread already, but it's a smart move that preserves as much as the nutrition in the meat as possible -- as long as you make sure to consume the liquid afterwards.

You brown the meat off first but then you add the water on top so it preserves all the drippings and fond that went to the bottom of the pan.

After Hannibal I expect all of my cannibal cooking to look like Michelin starred meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Xombie posted:

When they leave the building after the first scene, you can see that all of the adjacent ones are boarded up and presumably unoccupied. They show actual homes and a neighborhood in the opening shots too, where people would be living. There's no reason for them to be living in the old commercial buildings that would surround the restaurant.

It was clever to film in Waterton in the winter - it's a tourist town and just about everything is boarded up after mid October.

I didn't love that episode but as someone who never played the game I'm interested in what they do next week.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Surely in a world that's largely free of humans, game wouldn't be that hard to find. They'd be hopping around all over the place.

Also get an underground grow house or something, gently caress.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
I know, I'm sorry, I'm fickle but

TV IV › The Last of Us: Non-Spoiler Thread › I expect all of my cannibal cooking to look like Michelin starred meals

Just too good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Surely in a world that's largely free of humans, game wouldn't be that hard to find. They'd be hopping around all over the place.

From the way they were talking it sounded like that's normally the case but that this particular winter was harsh enough to really limit their prospects. Between that and David not really being a leader in a way that's helpful to folks I'm not surprised it got that bad.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just finished it, glad lots of other people thought the villain was really poorly done

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The villain was not as poorly done as that long pork.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Pretty good article about where David and the story kind of fell flat this episode I think, also some interesting points about how sort of 2D all of the bad factions are in the series. https://www.polygon.com/23623914/last-us-cannibals-bad-you-should-feel-bad

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This is a bad article and the author is an idiot if he thinks that we're not getting to see the growing relationship between Joel and Ellie.

"I've known writers who use subtext and they're all cowards" - that author probably

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

AgentHaiTo posted:

Did anyone get the feeling that Troy wanted to execute Ellie right away, as his way of saving her from David, cause he knew what David had in mind for her? Like he was ok with being a cannibal, but being a pedophile was worse.

I felt like that, too -- like Troy/James knew or suspected David's pedo tendencies.

Saltpowered posted:

Their point appears to be that people who are suffering systemic abuse should just kill their abuser and it’s completely unrealistic that they don’t. In their argument, the only thing keeping oppressed people from killing their oppressors is fear of the courts and police not the oppressors themselves or twisted senses of loyalty through years of grooming.

This is in contrast to the real world where nobody is abused, slavery does not exists, and there are no cults.

The fact that the poster had a similar issue with the KC episodes makes complete sense because the only ways people hold power are through personal physical might.

I feel like people arguing the group should just overthrow David are missing that it's a religious cult. If his "flock" are true believers, that adds a layer of difficulty to overthrowing him. They're not just rejecting him, but also THE LORD.

Weird question. Did anyone else notice that, after the first reference to "is your dad sick?" that David referred to Joel exclusively as Ellie's "friend"? It happened over and over again and I feel like there's significance there but I can't put it into words.

spacing in vienna fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 7, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just Chamber posted:

Pretty good article about where David and the story kind of fell flat this episode I think, also some interesting points about how sort of 2D all of the bad factions are in the series. https://www.polygon.com/23623914/last-us-cannibals-bad-you-should-feel-bad

Sometimes people are just evil. David exploits weak people and reaps the benefits. He has a violent heart as he said himself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AgentHaiTo posted:

Did anyone get the feeling that Troy wanted to execute Ellie right away, as his way of saving her from David, cause he knew what David had in mind for her? Like he was ok with being a cannibal, but being a pedophile was worse.

At one point he says "we could just...let her go."

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

AJA posted:

I know, I'm sorry, I'm fickle but

TV IV › The Last of Us: Non-Spoiler Thread › I expect all of my cannibal cooking to look like Michelin starred meals

Just too good.

Cannibalism doesn't seem so bad when Mads Mikkelsen is preparing some exquisite feast.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Browning the meat creates a delicious fond that tastes good to our brains because the fats and proteins are literally “rendered” more nutritionally available. Then you pour liquid right on top, deglazing the long pork crusties into your stew without losing any edible material.

Honestly I think they just wanted to create a sense of unease about the meat. It’s fun when your brain figures out what’s happening in a show without someone explicitly saying it, you know? Perhaps a little obvious to anyone who, like… cooks at all. But I myself might abandon some tried and tested cooking techniques if I was resorting to murder-sourced cannibalism in the kitchen. Like, who amongst us would really bother to adequately season their dead companion? Seems weird to worry about.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thinking more about David, I feel like there's something interesting there with his faith. At first I felt like he just turned out to be generically evil, and was kinda let down, but I think it kinda works if he actually does have a fervent belief... in cordyceps. Like he views it as a kind of dangerous and powerful god, and is scared of it but also wants to be like it.

His attempted rape reminded me of just how creepy and invasive those mouth tendrils from the infected are, and all of that imagery is definitely lingering with me more than I expected.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

This just in: the finale is going to be 100% nonverbal and focus entirely on the monkey tribe. It will be a clever nod to the fact that they are The First Of Us and that nothing has really changed except for cooking techniques. Content warning, there's a shot of a very dead goon who traded too much usable protein for delicious fond, but they don't spell that out so I'm sure there will be pages of debate on it.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Linking to a polygon article to say "see this show has bad writing" is almost as funny as linking to another forum to prove your arguments are valid.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Just Chamber posted:

Hot drat this article is dogshit lmao

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I'm pretty sure it was 28 weeks later or at least one of those crappy zombie movies that came out around that time that we saw with my sister in law and she made a comment afterwards about using "bomb wire fences" for defense. There was some kinda scene where zombies were running into barbed wire and exploding thus bomb wire fences. We've been joking about it for years as being a goofy as poo poo way to deal with zombies but I had to call apologize to her after episode 3 because Frank and Bill indeed had working bomb wire fences and they worked against the raiders pretty well.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Game can be scarce, especially in a hard winter like they say they're having. There'd be more with less humans around, sure, but they don't really want to go super far to hunt and it's still not going to be super easy.

And when David brought back the deer near the beginning, did they feed everyone before they showed everyone they brought back a deer? People have to have started to suspect they were short on food.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

AccountSupervisor posted:

I really think they dropped the ball overall by not capitalizing on the pairing of good self contained dramatic stories with tense infected scenes where they should have been. I just dont buy that its not doable to have them executed in a manner similar to how theyre weaved into these stories in the game and also be effective/entertaining in the show.

Infected battles are only tense in the game because there's the possibility that Joel and Ellie die. In fact, in the game, they die over and over again, but because it's a game, you get to respawn. It doesn't work that way in a scripted drama, where the main characters have plot armor. So if there are a lot of battles with infected, they stop being a threat because you know the main characters are now supermen who will mow them down.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

spacing in vienna posted:

Weird question. Did anyone else notice that, after the first reference to "is your dad sick?" that David referred to Joel exclusively as Ellie's "friend"? It happened over and over again and I feel like there's significance there but I can't put it into words.

Didn't notice but that's kind of an interesting point. I would argue that it's a manipulative tactic. He wants to get her on his side. #1, it's easier to abandon a friend than a parent. So he's trying to get her to think of him that way. Second, and maybe a bigger point is that your parents are your parents no matter what, but you choose your friends. He's trying to get her to see her relationship with Joel as a choice she is making, and that it's a bad one. If he can argue that Joel is a Bad Man who Hurts People, that doesn't really influence whether he's her dad or not. But it could influence whether she should choose to keep him as a friend.

Classic cult indoctrination. Devalue the bonds people have with outsiders so it'll be easier for them to cut themselves off from their family.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I think you are supposed to see a marked difference between the cult led by a maniac and the town of Jackson that works together, and the native couple that are doing just fine. There are ways to survive, but being a patriarchal cult is not the most efficient way to do so.

It's clear Jackson has managed to set up some kind of sustainable situation, so much so that they can even spare a horse. The cult has no horses, and likely has no good standing with any other groups in order to trade. Horses would make hunting and trapping far, far, easier, as would allowing the women into power. (I'm extrapolating that from the outfits they put all the women in)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah but for all their faults, at least Camp Wendigo aren’t godless commies. Sure, fine, Jackson may have food, running water, free housing, power, livestock, crops, a cinema, and a thriving community living in relative contentment and happiness but it comes with a heavy, unimaginable price no true god fearing American should have to pay.

*insert pic of Tommy’s horrified realisation face here*

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Xombie posted:

Infected battles are only tense in the game because there's the possibility that Joel and Ellie die. In fact, in the game, they die over and over again, but because it's a game, you get to respawn. It doesn't work that way in a scripted drama, where the main characters have plot armor. So if there are a lot of battles with infected, they stop being a threat because you know the main characters are now supermen who will mow them down.
Not entirely disagreeing with your conclusion, but I would note that the infected battles have been tense in the show because a main character has died in most of them. Tess, Reiley, the kid from Kansas City. The show has demonstrated that people you care about will die when you fight infected.

But I agree we don't need more tense zombie fight scenes. The reason they've been able to keep them tense in the show is that they've used them very sparingly and have significant consequences when they do happen.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah but for all their faults, at least Camp Wendigo aren’t godless commies. Sure, fine, Jackson may have food, running water, free housing, power, livestock, crops, a cinema, and a thriving community living in relative contentment and happiness but it comes with a heavy, unimaginable price no true god fearing American should have to pay.

*insert pic of Tommy’s horrified realisation face here*

Jackson has a lot more guns tho, also alcohol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

yeah, i like that unless poo poo gets out of hand like in KC, the zombies are now just a background threat in most cases, with the threat of an infected person who has not died yet being far more concerning to most people than the actual zombies as they are rare outside of their known haunts at this point.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think you are supposed to see a marked difference between the cult led by a maniac and the town of Jackson that works together, and the native couple that are doing just fine. There are ways to survive, but being a patriarchal cult is not the most efficient way to do so.

It's clear Jackson has managed to set up some kind of sustainable situation, so much so that they can even spare a horse. The cult has no horses, and likely has no good standing with any other groups in order to trade. Horses would make hunting and trapping far, far, easier, as would allowing the women into power. (I'm extrapolating that from the outfits they put all the women in)

Also worth keeping in mind that Jackson is dealing with the same “awful” winter without even commenting on it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yeah, people survived winters for a long loving time by preparing. Seems like that is what jackson does, vs a cannibal cult run by a meglomaniac. He can't empower everyone to work or he loses his position. Jackson explicitly does not have one leader and it avoids that exact problem.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

So is anyone else thinking that those bodies that Cult Town had strung up in the food shed may have been people that Jackson either turned away or exiled? It's a great system, there's a role for everyone.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
he mentions the ground is too cold to dig graves too! :newlol:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

XboxPants posted:

So is anyone else thinking that those bodies that Cult Town had strung up in the food shed may have been people that Jackson either turned away or exiled? It's a great system, there's a role for everyone.

Well the cult town is in eastern Colorado, and Jackson is in the extreme west of Wyoming, so it's pretty unlikely all things considered

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Keyser_Soze posted:

he mentions the ground is too cold to dig graves too! :newlol:

Ha! I didn't even notice that detail.

Uhhh...yeah...we'll bury your dad later...

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I guess I should be happy that the native couple from Ep 6 are alive and well.

(edited to remove rest of the possible spoiler content)

Elden Lord Godfrey fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 8, 2023

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ha! I didn't even notice that detail.

Uhhh...yeah...we'll bury your dad later...
We can have a sky burial if the ground is too hard, except replace 'sky' with 'canteen' and 'burial' with 'dinner'.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Well the cult town is in eastern Colorado, and Jackson is in the extreme west of Wyoming, so it's pretty unlikely all things considered

Oh whoops didn't even pay attention to the geography, I guess I just assumed they were close because Joel & Ellie left Jackson and got to the next area on horse within the same episode. (which was my mistake, I'm not arguing they should have had an entire episode just showing them riding horses or whatever)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Oh whoops didn't even pay attention to the geography, I guess I just assumed they were close because Joel & Ellie left Jackson and got to the next area on horse within the same episode. (which was my mistake, I'm not arguing they should have had an entire episode just showing them riding horses or whatever)

Even better geography - presumably the fictional Eastern Colorado University is in the same place as the non-fictional Colorado State University (Go Rams!) so the only large body of water nearby is Horsetooth Reservoir, which is not a “fancy resort” sort of lake.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't think it would make sense to call a college where CSU is, Eastern Colorado University. It's probably supposed to be somewhere around that river to the east of both Boulder and Denver (which has lakes that would fit the bill for a small resort town), without being specific because, well, I don't think real life people would want to be associated with cannibal town.

It's the only area made up wholecloth in what we've seen up so far at least in the story, in either version of it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I figured david didn't actually care about religion at all. given he came to christ after the apocalypse it seemed more like he realised it would be a good way to manipulate people and take the power he wanted. he could build his own republic of dave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jackson isn't completely free from being bad people. Its pretty much told by the people Joel and Ellie meet that they find bodies of people that the people of Jackson just outright kill. Sure its far better than the cannibal people but it still does bad stuff to survive.