Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

jetz0r posted:

it's plants from the time before cellulose could decay. Or swamps. Animal biomass is just a spice in the plant soup of hydrocarbons.

Sorry, you're not actually burning T-rexes.

Oil deposits exist younger than the carboniferous from when fungi developed the ability to decompose lignin. Oil is pretty much just dead algae. Many swamp deposits develop into coal of varying quality.

Even then, the thought of algae living, breathing, and dying to be burned to get little Johnny to school in the burbs is too undignified for my heart to bare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Yes, it's plant matter. I think all the people ITT posting about t-rex juice are being facetious, though.

I actually wasn't aware, I always thought that coal was trees and oil was dead dinos. This thread has become educational for me.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Algae, huh. Sounds like biopetrol to me then!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Mayor Dave posted:

Lol that there's a bike shop on the corner

The driver is the bike shop owner drumming up business.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
did anyone post the newest Strong Towns video yet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7mSXMruEo)

because my favourite part is this:

but its actually this (no animals were actually hurt, they're just plastic toys):

quote:

truk-brain is FAR more dangerous than car-brain

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Mar 7, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol at that bronco pic.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like the video but featured fewer scenes of big trucks on fire than I was expecting, nay, hoping for

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AmericanFietser/status/1631062310386036737?s=20

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I live in the middle of nowhere southern US and I'm starting to see multiple kei trucks driving around town.

There's so much demand for smaller trucks that people out in the boonie are importing them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

I live in the middle of nowhere southern US and I'm starting to see multiple kei trucks driving around town.

There's so much demand for smaller trucks that people out in the boonie are importing them.

So rural, doesn't even have more than one boonie.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lol. That's actually a relatively typo free post for me.

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

Hubbert posted:

did anyone post the newest Strong Towns video yet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7mSXMruEo)

because my favourite part is this:

but its actually this (no animals were actually hurt, they're just plastic toys):

truk-brain is FAR more dangerous than car-brain

Here's that Mark Rober video if anybody else is curious like I was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Fp7flAWMA

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

McCracAttack posted:

That can't be a truck, the truck bed shows signs of being used to carry stuff.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I can't imagine having to spend like $80k or whatever for the latest Ford F1080Ti or whatever as a small landscaping business or something lol. Both outrageously expensive and way less useful.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

not sure if Brazil (where he is) is the best example to emulate

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cars ftw

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

actionjackson posted:

not sure if Brazil (where he is) is the best example to emulate

whys that?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hell yeah my kids love that movie.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah I've seen some of these around too. Look at this lad:

https://minitruckssouth.com/inventory/1999-daihatsu-hijet-deck-van-white/

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

leftist heap posted:

I can't imagine having to spend like $80k or whatever for the latest Ford F1080Ti or whatever as a small landscaping business or something lol. Both outrageously expensive and way less useful.

They don't, because this is not actually a useful work vehicle in any way, it's just a way to write-off his personal vehicle for the guy who owns the business.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

I want one of these so fukken bad man

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

McCracAttack posted:

You may not like it but this is the ideal truck body

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Agean90 posted:

I want one of these so fukken bad man

Why would you want a car?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

just as a place to live, not sure about the transport specifically (i'm sure it's fine in huge cities, not sure about anywhere else)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you lived in Brazil you could have lunch with Glenn. Every day.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

actionjackson posted:

just as a place to live, not sure about the transport specifically (i'm sure it's fine in huge cities, not sure about anywhere else)

what about brazil makes it a bad place to live?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The waxxxers.

Also their last president was a pretty big Nazi

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

McCracAttack posted:

a bunch of small farms around me have these for tooling around and running errands etc instead of using work trucks. Some people also haul around their dirt bikes on them and it makes me jealous.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the cycling infrastructure, obviously

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Every one of those idiots is insisting that the cyclist is wrong for going straight in a turning lane, but he would have been hit regardless. It's not even clear that he was going straight. He'd barely entered the intersection.

I've never driven in australia but assuming it's like the US, the driver is at fault. He's in a lane that's clearly marked as straight only with solid white lines (so shifting lanes is illegal) and he makes an illegal left turn without signaling or yielding. lol i hate driving so much you put your life in the hands of people who have no idea wtf they're doing

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

BonHair posted:

Why would you want a car?

because look at it!!! It's so cute!!! (also winters here have sustained 40mph winds and while I can just walk or bike a lot of the time sometimes I just need something that keeps me out of the artic winds)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Almost got creamed by a car turning in the crosswalk twice this morning. One of em was a pickup truck doing a left turn that stopped like a couple feet short of me lol. Dipshit should never have passed his driver's test

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i guess the situation has improved in recent years but rio de janeiro and sao paulo are both notorious for horrible traffic jams at like all hours of the day. obviously though there are more cities in brazil than those two. anyway brazil seems nice.

Apr 7, 2003

My wife and I share one car and we've only put 848 miles on it since mid-November. that rules

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

eXXon posted:

If you lived in Brazil you could have lunch with Glenn. Every day.

sounds terrible

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/goodkidbikecity/status/1633411562051624960

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Copenhagen had a few centimetres of snow today. All the car commuters were very late and annoyed. But the bike paths on the major road part of my commute were fine and cleared.

I did get a good chat with the boss about bike routes. I think he feels lazy and bad about taking the car too often, and I hope I'm pushing him towards more biking.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

sounds terrible

he's vegan, they can't all be winners

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

BonHair posted:

Copenhagen had a few centimetres of snow today. All the car commuters were very late and annoyed. But the bike paths on the major road part of my commute were fine and cleared.
Holy gently caress the boomer tears here in Toronto if any bike lane is ever cleared before every single road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

Holy gently caress the boomer tears here in Toronto if any bike lane is ever cleared before every single road.

A guy in my local subreddit pissed his pants and said cyclists should be banned because they piss everyone off "when they ride between stopped cars to get to the front." Cyclists filter like that to avoid dying in squeeze crashes. Dude is pissed about something cyclists do that doesn't hurt anyone and prevents them from dying needlessly.

Just more evidence that driver resentment of cyclists is over cyclists moving faster than they do in city traffic.