Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

priznat posted:

I liked it when he demoed the game he is working on and everyone was like uhhhh looks like garbage.

Granted it is really early state but why demo something that looks like crap

My posts are all crap but I make them publicly anyway. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Silly Newbie posted:

The elderly weren't being scammed, they were doing the scamming.

Gramma, I am pretty sure that Amazon does not tell me that my account is busted over text

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
PLEASE everyone try to be respectful!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Salt Fish posted:

PLEASE everyone try to be respectful!

I'd rather not

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

I could not recommend buying 100 of Bitcoin, 10 years ago or today

what about buying a comedy website from a drug addict?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

latest coffeezilla about celcius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3d8bRDAP3s

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My brother told me he was offered 30BTC as payment for a job back in 2015 and he declined. I understand the reasoning and it was the correct call, but man if we could go back in time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

what about buying a comedy website from a drug addict?

only if it comes with a lifetime supply of these bad boys

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I was offered 200 BTC for 20bux (total) way back in the day, but declined. I think back on that now and then, but I just know I would have just sold them for 50bux or lost my key/drive and been wracked with emotional torment, rather than the current wistful sigh I get sometimes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

FlapYoJacks posted:

My brother told me he was offered 30BTC as payment for a job back in 2015 and he declined. I understand the reasoning and it was the correct call, but man if we could go back in time.

idk if I could go back in time I'd pick the winning lottery numbers and bet on all the winning sports teams and horse races, not get some super sketchy internet money that I have to safe guard for the better part of a decade and have to deal with super unreliable exchanges to turn it in to real money

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you go back in time, go to a horse race and bet it all on potoooooooo

That horse won a lot and i guarantee you wont forget pot eight 'o's

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

lmao i guess drdisrespect woke up out of his coma after getting banned from twitch

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1632747459687469059

I want to use my Call of Duty grenade launcher in Forza. Make it happen, block chain!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The NFT poo poo still sems to be going strong in the art scene. Just yesterday some Instagram post about an NFT guy at an art conference popped up in my timeline. Granted, the art market is like money laundering central, so this and crypto is like PB & J.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
When I was a 12 year old kid I won a magic tournament - the prize was a Mox Jet, a card that is worth about 8,000 dollars today. I sold mine for a whopping 100$ about a week after winning it, and haven't spend a single day regretting it. If I had held on to it for a few years It would probably have ended up being thrown away by mistake one of the times I changed apartment anyway. But I'd probably waste a lot of time and energy digging through box after box of stuff from my childood at my mom's house hoping to find it. Better to know that I sold it and enjoyed the money I got back then, than to sit and agonize about what it's worth now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Strong Sauce posted:

lmao i guess drdisrespect woke up out of his coma after getting banned from twitch

It all boils down to one thing: these people want to get rich playing videogames and they think NFTs/web3 will make that dream can true

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elias_Maluco posted:

It all boils down to one thing: these people want to get rich playing videogames and they think NFTs/web3 will make that dream can true

Also they somehow don't know what video games are.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

I want to use my Call of Duty grenade launcher in Forza. Make it happen, block chain!

Every time I mention how hosed this is they sit in denial. The new argument was "the game was designed for NFT's from the ground up" - answer is - and was every other game in existence? hint: no.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
NFTs are just DRM, but for some unexplained reason its good DRM that corporations will have to use in a way that isn't profitable to them, but instead profitable to the players. For some reason.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also they somehow don't know what video games are.

Video games is when number goes up. Practically the same thing as Blockchain.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

NFTs are just DRM, but for some unexplained reason its good DRM that corporations will have to use in a way that isn't profitable to them, but instead profitable to the players. For some reason.

I mean DRM usually actually has protections on it stopping you from copying it. NFT's are more like putting your name in the file name or a file, than just leaving it on a random public sever and assuming no one will copy it because your names in the title.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

NFT evangelists are obsessed with ownership. They correctly identify that the player doesn't uniquely own any aspect of gaming in comparison to the developer or each other and want to change that. But that's like an artist putting out a new piece and people arguing with each other over who owns each brush stroke.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

SettingSun posted:

NFT evangelists are obsessed with ownership. They correctly identify that the player doesn't uniquely own any aspect of gaming in comparison to the developer or each other and want to change that. But that's like an artist putting out a new piece and people arguing with each other over who owns each brush stroke.

But this is what they want! Your piece could be worth something someday to a collector! Absolutely no possibility of funko or beanie babies or tulips, no way!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

dr_rat posted:

I mean DRM usually actually has protections on it stopping you from copying it. NFT's are more like putting your name in the file name or a file, than just leaving it on a random public sever and assuming no one will copy it because your names in the title.

to be fair, inside a game an item couldn't be copied because the game enforces ownership. like, you can screenshot that pretty CSGO knife but its not the actual knife and you can't use it with your player

but of course the majority of NFTs aren't that, the only advantage "owning" one over owning a screenshot of it is that you get the opportunity to push it onto some rube for possibly more than you paid originally

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ymgve posted:

but of course the majority of NFTs aren't that, the only advantage "owning" one over owning a screenshot of it is that you get the opportunity to push it onto some rube for possibly more than you paid originally

Well yeah, as the only people who actually respect NFT's as an ownership thing are the people who buy and sell them, NFT's do make at least some sense if you just ignore what ever the digital item it is they say they show ownership of and just think of them as a token that just represents itself, that people are choosing to buy and sell for speculation.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

he wants to buy a pair of robot dogs to help search, we're well past ahab

And other robot dogs to guard the dump site

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Taking a screenshot of an NFT to copy the art is exactly analogous to the analog hole:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole

tldr; no DRM scheme can stop me from holding a microphone up to a speaker.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

dr_rat posted:

There is nothing stopping someone from using NFTs in a DRM way besides no one has done the dev work to bother because people who are buying NFTs don't care or understand.

The link to a jpg style NFTs were programmed in a dev jam weekend with basically a comment saying "insert real payload here" where the link goes but no one ever got around to it afterwards.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Imagine if games all incorporated NFTs somehow, it would require some form of proc-gen to spit out thousands (millions) of "unique" items. At that point nobody cares anymore, if everything is unique it becomes uninteresting that you own ballistic helmet 367/10000. Also every game would probably end up looking like some horrible Kickstarter Unity store asset scam with no design coherency.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Taking a screenshot of an NFT to copy the art is exactly analogous to the analog hole:

Companies are just going to put their NFTs into a database that only they have read/write access to and they fully control, and then track what you own in whatever game you're playing via that.

Yes, that's how it works already, but the difference is they're just going to start calling what they're already doing "NFTs" to attract the idiots who want NFTs and upset people who are like "that's just a regular database"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Elias_Maluco posted:

That’s not even true these people shilling this poo poo are already extremely wealthy from their streaming. Like those faze guys that were doing rug pulls weren’t even making a 100k from them

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
poz my analog hole

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

Ok, I'll imagine it.

I imagine a new game comes out, and I imagine someone who spent $100,000 on a powerful weapon in another game instakills me with it.

I then imagine playing a single player game with no blockchain functionality instead.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

but isnt the dumbass streamer already relatively well off already from playing games before getting banned from twitch?? like they still have youtube or whatever.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok, I'll imagine it.

I imagine a new game comes out, and I imagine someone who spent $100,000 on a powerful weapon in another game instakills me with it.

I then imagine playing a single player game with no blockchain functionality instead.

i just imagine that a hack menu costs way less than $100k

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Streamers stand to make money off of selling NFTs from their streams which is why it seems to be a particularly popular concept among them. Their lively hood is already based off of video games this is just another avenue to increase that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

lol at that wiki article and once again the RIAA and MPAA should be executed for their dystopian attempts to close the loop hole.

also I love the 3rd footnote ""MPAA: teachers should videotape monitors, not rip DVDs". christ I am willing to pay a fair price if you give me the thing and its a decent quality, dont make me jump through hoops.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Evilreaver posted:

I was offered 200 BTC for 20bux (total) way back in the day, but declined. I think back on that now and then, but I just know I would have just sold them for 50bux or lost my key/drive and been wracked with emotional torment, rather than the current wistful sigh I get sometimes
Now now, you could have also lost it to exchange fuckery like Magic: The Gathering Online eXchange.

I will always try to refer to Mt. Gox with the full name.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/interneth0f/status/1633134986734837760?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bullying works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
the only way NFTs across multiple games works is if some big publisher embraces the concept and mandates that yes this stupid gun from tom clancy's xyz is usable in assassin's creed 12, developers you must do this

this actually already happened when ubisoft did it and the fact that even THEY couldnt make it work proves pretty decisively that the idea sucks