Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are Arcade games supposed to work after your sub ends? Or does it just take a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Are Arcade games supposed to work after your sub ends? Or does it just take a few days?

I think they're supposed to phone home every week or so to figure out if you're still good, so you might just have a few days yeah.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I found an empty AirPods case on my porch (????). Is there any way to find the name of the device or anything I can do to help find its owner?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I found an empty AirPods case on my porch (????). Is there any way to find the name of the device or anything I can do to help find its owner?

AFAIK no. You can charge it and it might show up on their find my if they have it on

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure the case is just a battery and charging circuit, it has no identification or data connectivity. That's why the EarPods have to be in the case to read the case charge, it uses their Bluetooth to do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Pretty sure the case is just a battery and charging circuit, it has no identification or data connectivity. That's why the EarPods have to be in the case to read the case charge, it uses their Bluetooth to do it.
Mmmm not sure how it works, but they do have a lost mode, which will tell nearby iPhones whose it is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's cool then. I thought it was only the headphones that could do that and if you lost the case that was it forever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well that's cool then. I thought it was only the headphones that could do that and if you lost the case that was it forever.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207581

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

quote:

With AirPods Pro (2nd generation), you can also locate the charging case on the map if it's separated from your AirPods.

Bummer. These are regular AirPods.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah they put AirTag tech into the latest Pro case. Also a speaker so you can ping it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The "Find My" functionality on the original AirPods is drat near useless. The AirPod Pro gen 1s are a noticeable improvement, and it sounds like AirPod Pro 2s are even better. I've been tempted to upgrade to gen 2s, but I should probably wait until the battery health gets worse with these.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can you delete all Apple Music songs from your library (I mean besides finding them one by one)? I no longer have the service, so they're just clogging up and pausing my playlists.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Well drat. The beginnings of Phone Link for iOS are being tested for Windows 11.
Looks like notification mirroring and messages that happen while it’s connected show up.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/?p=178108

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 7, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kerbtree posted:

Well drat. The beginnings of Phone Link for iOS are being tested for Windows 11.
Looks like notification mirroring and messages that happen while it’s connected show up.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/?p=178108
loving finally :woop:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

window sexperience

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Windows finally swiped some 10 year-old features from macOS Finder recently as well: tabbed windows and quick file previews. They still only show files in KB and can't show you the Folder sizes, though.

Progress

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

window sexperience

my favorite site after expert sexchange

those cowards changed from expertsexchange.com to experts-exchange.com :sad:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

penisland.net remains doughty and true in these dark times

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is it crazy at this point to upgrade from a 12 mini to a 13 mini? My 12 gets kinda hot, the battery sucks, and would appreciate more than 64GBs of storage. I like the size and processor speed isn’t really an issue so I was thinking of just getting a 13 mini but maybe I’ll just bite the bullet and get a normal sized 14 for longevity. Does anyone that’s gone from a mini to a normal have regrets?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
13 Mini is hype and will extend the life of your perfectly sized phone for 4 years. Do it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just ordered a 13 mini in a snazzy red. my 12 mini is apparently worth $250 with trade in, seems like a no brainer. It really is the perfect size

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nvm read wrong

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hatty posted:

Just ordered a 13 mini in a snazzy red. my 12 mini is apparently worth $250 with trade in, seems like a no brainer. It really is the perfect size

Red is great I wish I had any color option for my 14 Pro Max 256GB but I was lucky to get one at all so early. The cases available on Etsy are so dreamy though idgaf now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
No one running out to buy the regular iPhone 14 in yellow ?

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/03/07/apple-announces-yellow-iphone-14/

I’m a bit surprised they didn’t do a 5th color for the Pro series , although the Pro has been selling very well again so maybe it’s inventory.

It’s a better yellow than the yellow for the iPhone 11 at least, although I doubt it will sell as well as the green last year, people tend to never buy yellow phones or phone cases.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su-mi0CVGRQ

I like the yellow phone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

hatty posted:

Is it crazy at this point to upgrade from a 12 mini to a 13 mini? My 12 gets kinda hot, the battery sucks, and would appreciate more than 64GBs of storage. I like the size and processor speed isn’t really an issue so I was thinking of just getting a 13 mini but maybe I’ll just bite the bullet and get a normal sized 14 for longevity. Does anyone that’s gone from a mini to a normal have regrets?

Last time I asked this question, I was told to just get a battery replacement for my 12 mini.

Instead I did nothing. Ha!

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Anecdotally, my kids have 12 Minis and I purchased myself a 13 Mini in December and I much prefer the 13. The notch is slightly smaller and it has a nicer camera layout, in addition to all the improvements under the hood. Since it is unlikely that we will be getting any new Minis in the foreseeable future and you like the form factor, get the latest one and hope it lasts just a bit longer.

13 Mini is the Perfect iPhone.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I would’ve just replaced the battery but 64GB of storage just wasn’t cutting it for me with how big apps are now. But if the 13 mini is notably faster and the camera is slightly better that’s a good bonus

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Honestly a maxed out 13 mini isn't a terrible idea.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently the 14 plus isn't selling great either so maybe we get a new mini in some distant future.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd imagine all the base 14 models are underperforming simply because they offer literally no benefit compared to the previous generation.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

I'd imagine all the base 14 models are underperforming simply because they offer literally no benefit compared to the previous generation.

BOLD NEW GRAPHICS

Seriously; why buy a 14 when a:) the 14 pro has
- brighter screen
- better SoC
- better notch
- better primary camera
- better ultra wide camera
- zoom camera
- lidar sensor
- pro res video
- better gps
- satellite sos
- frosted glass finish
- always on display

And b:) the 13 still exists.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 9, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The colours for the iPhone 14 are weak pastel poo poo. Considering that for 90% of buyers they’ll be covered by a case, maybe at least go for something bold and worth bothering with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The new satellite feature is super cool IMO but it's clearly a first gen beta implementation, I assume once us idiots that bought a 14/14pro provide enough data for Apple to start cramming more features in it's gonna get a lot better.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

wooger posted:

The colours for the iPhone 14 are weak pastel poo poo. Considering that for 90% of buyers they’ll be covered by a case, maybe at least go for something bold and worth bothering with.

That too. I want that iPad Air 4 green on a phone, drat it!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

The new satellite feature is super cool IMO but it's clearly a first gen beta implementation, I assume once us idiots that bought a 14/14pro provide enough data for Apple to start cramming more features in it's gonna get a lot better.

"hello it's 911 calling your phone alerted us to a traumatic physical event"

"yeah i fell off the couch and ruined my avocado toast"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

BOLD NEW GRAPHICS

Seriously; why buy a 14 when a:) the 14 pro has
- brighter screen
- better SoC
- better notch
- better primary camera
- better ultra wide camera
- zoom camera
- lidar sensor
- pro res video
- better gps
- satellite sos
- frosted glass finish
- always on display

And b:) the 13 still exists.

This right here. Most people pay the $200 difference, especially because now phone carrier deals in the US are over 3 years, so it’s $5.55 more monthly for the Pro versus the reg 14.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i bought the 14 because i don't care, op

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’d say the people who buy the non pro phones probably also wait longer between generations, so keeping the same SoC is less of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I’d say the people who buy the non pro phones probably also wait longer between generations, so keeping the same SoC is less of a deal.

Also trying to avoid the ever growing mountain of camera lenses on the back.