Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You might have fun pretending quicksilver & scarlet have the X-Men keyword instead of avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Diabetic posted:

I bought Marvel Champions after trying it when a friend of my brother in law came over to play it. I got the basic set and Captain America. My brother in law bought Nova, Quicksilver, and Cyclops

good choices to buy, all strong characters. Recommend picking up Dr. Strange (he's kind of broken but fun as gently caress), Agent Venom, Drax, and Thor next. If you're thinking about an expansion box I think Sinister Motives might be the best one they've done in terms of interesting, unique, and very fun encounters with a great balance. Mad Titan's Shadow probably is a close second and has maybe the most unique encounter in the game.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

DLC Inc posted:

good choices to buy, all strong characters. Recommend picking up Dr. Strange (he's kind of broken but fun as gently caress), Agent Venom, Drax, and Thor next. If you're thinking about an expansion box I think Sinister Motives might be the best one they've done in terms of interesting, unique, and very fun encounters with a great balance. Mad Titan's Shadow probably is a close second and has maybe the most unique encounter in the game.

I really want Vision and Rogue just because I enjoy the characters and yes I started playing against Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive. My brother in law's friend introduced it to us, I was a gimped cap for most of the game because I was learning the mechanics and needed energy so I asked if I discarded the shield from Caps deck I could get it back, they said yes but nope. I figured out his ally synergy toward the end and the one two hits I was doing turned into 20+

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you Mulligan cap’s shield, you do get it back. If you discard it due to an effect, it goes into your discard pile, which eventually shuffles back into your deck. (iIt’s probably better to toss avengers mansion than get rid of the shield though, because so many of his cards synergize with it.)

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Golden Bee posted:

If you Mulligan cap’s shield, you do get it back. If you discard it due to an effect, it goes into your discard pile, which eventually shuffles back into your deck. (iIt’s probably better to toss avengers mansion than get rid of the shield though, because so many of his cards synergize with it.)

Yes I learned that after the fact lol

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Lord of the Rings LCG is getting a rerelease of the Dreamchaser cycle. It's one of the best cycles and now includes some more campaign options (which will be pnp-able as well).

Pound for pound one of the best cycles in the game with a bunch of WTF moments and really varied quests. The new campaign stuff looks incredible too, I always thought it was a little strange Hunt for the Dreadnaught had extra ship options so it's neat they're adding more.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
we’re gonna hear something about marvel any day now

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Are Gambit and Rogue out? How are they if so? I didn't see them at the shop the other day.

We've bought everything to date but we're cooling on it a bit. We kind of bounce between our big 3 of Marvel, Spirit Island, and Gloom/Frosthaven which is our current game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Rogue allows some really bizarre builds. Gambit is versatile, could be good in protection, but aggressive energy does wonders for him, because a few of his cards are multiple attacks.

They have a really good team up card; Rogue could do fine if you just build a deck around recurring it. (You can also use Mutant education for this purpose!)

They both lack resource generation but Moira and the X-Jet can kind of take care of that.

His alter ego ability is not very useful without being able to sort and organize the encounter deck. Gamb could pair with anyone running a shield justice deck.

Like black widow, he also has an ally who becomes functionally free in certain circumstances, so justice with “chance encounter” could be great. But I’ve only played the two together.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Interesting. I'll pick them up soon to round out my mutant set and then we'll see where FFG goes from here.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/Asmodee_USA/status/1623764696280039425?t=DEWlaLNAka4e9i8xuoKsHQ&s=19

Asmodee/Gamegenic clueless about their own product line, or stealth announcement of a new PvP game mode? Follow your heart.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That post is from a month ago

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Golden Bee posted:

That post is from a month ago

Didn't make any more sense then than it does now

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Carteret posted:

https://twitter.com/Asmodee_USA/status/1623764696280039425?t=DEWlaLNAka4e9i8xuoKsHQ&s=19

Asmodee/Gamegenic clueless about their own product line, or stealth announcement of a new PvP game mode? Follow your heart.

It seems like it's gone now, what did it say?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Captain Theron posted:

It seems like it's gone now, what did it say?

It was a 2 player versus game mat, designed for players to sit across from each other. Everyone knows Marvel is the hottest pvp card game on the market right now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Haven't built Rogue yet but built Gambit Leadership in order to spam Beast so I could replay Gambit's resource card and using whichever Education card lets you get Hero cards back in the deck to ensure I could draw multiple Royal Flushes. The deck needed to be in Alter-Ego more than once in a blue moon so it was hot garbage for solo but at this point I think True Solo is dead outside very specific builds anyway. Going to test two handed tomorrow with a Rogue protection deck my friend built that uses a lot of Androids so Rogue can steal that and use the neutral ready card that came with Vision.

I would be happy if the game died now, not because I want it to, but because everything is out and FFG didn't do their typical "underprint the last cycle" poo poo at the same time announcing the game is dead which leads to massive reselling and ends up with a bunch of people who actually play having incomplete collections. Yes, I'm still salty about Netrunner, Conquest, and L5R, why do you ask?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

They have a really good team up card; Rogue could do fine if you just build a deck around recurring it. (You can also use Mutant education for this purpose!)

Is there a ruling on this because that’s a basic card and mutant education clearly tells you to grab an identity specific card. You shouldn’t be able to grab it because it’s not specific for your identity.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Use it to recycle the signature card that lets you grab basic cards.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

It was a 2 player versus game mat, designed for players to sit across from each other. Everyone knows Marvel is the hottest pvp card game on the market right now.

Huh, that's weird, but it's also weird that they haven't made any announcement for the next cycle either.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I guess they’re doing organized play again with booster packs of alternate cards

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I played three-player LotR today with some friends. We all only have the core set, and used mono-faction decks, but the first scenario went well. I had played a few true solo games so I knew the rules fairly well. We thought we were screwed when our questing failed by 3, bringing all our threats to over 35 and so many enemies popping out and hitting us hard. Thankfully there's no attacks of opportunity in this game, because even with two or three enemies engaged to each player we were able to quest for 21 with a now-nearly-empty staging area when all we needed was 10 progress. Time for deck building and metagaming!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
teasing something on IG

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

John Romero posted:

teasing something on IG

? go on.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
They’ve been doing it on Twitter as well.

They’re teasing new content finally. Image is a brick wall, and they now have a silhouette of what people think is Cable. So hopefully will get big box news soon with a fairly soon release date. Hopefully this also means that there won’t be too huge a delay in new content.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It updated again, and says something is going to happen April 6th. Hopefully will be the big box expansion news and release date.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2023/4/6/next-evolution/

i've been whining about more x men but this looks pretty sick

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Domino looks like a powerhouse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AND Wolfsbane as an ally? Well, okay.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The box is less crowded with villains than previous ones. Are the marauders not moving product?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Cable looks very good; out of justice in particular. Player side schemes are interesting, and also a classic FFG design. Even just taking Cable's own as the only one you play and clearing it on the first turn will be pretty strong.

Domino looks a bit hit or miss, but with a 3 DEF will be good in Protection. Her ability is good, but you'll probably want to build your deck around having a lot of wilds and maybe you'll want to be playing those cards more than discarding them to make other cards better? She'll probably play well in a bigger game where she can cover more people and play different roles. The Posse thing is what's throwing me here as it seems "too much", if you probably just focus on using her ability and making sure that you get Probability Field out then she'll be good.

Villain line up looks fine. I had predicted Sinister as the solo villain expansion this cycle so I guess that means we'll see another cycle with the remaining popular X-Men vs Apocalypse.

My guess for the next cycle is Psylocke and Archangel in the deluxe. Not sure who will be in the packs but forcing this 1:1 parity of men and women is going to start pushing out popular characters for very third string ones very quickly. There's pretty much no one other than Emma Frost that deserves a release over Beast/Nightcrawler/Iceman, and even Emma is a route they may not go down. Emma is a great character though, and she really deserves a hero card. Certainly over someone like Jubilee or Armor that while might have had a moment never went anywhere(unless you liked teen vampire mom Jubilee I guess).

Preview image looks like:
#1 X-23/Wolverine whatever name they go with.
#2 Shatterstar (some are saying Phantomex but I unless there's something being done to his head to give him the illusion of hair he should be smooth on top).
#3 is Siryn as the gloves don't really fit for Hope or Psylocke and the hair doesn't fit for Boom Boom or Moonstar.
#4 is Deadpool as he's breaking the fourth wall with his hand.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 6, 2023

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Heroes look great and I applaud them for really shaking up the hero decks by introducing hero side schemes. It looks like a great system that will have some excellent risk/reward.

That Deadpool ally though. Woof. Heal them back but an acceleration token? No thanks. That’s way too much a cost.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I think the shadowed are:

X-23
Angel
Psylocke/Betsy Braddock
Deadpool

My Wager: Next cycle is X-Factor. You get Beast and Iceman, and the three ladies will be Polaris, Wolfsbane, and Mystique.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 6, 2023

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Psylocke announced.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2023/4/27/flurry-of-blades/

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Handsize 4 but she has two free resources per turn?!?

I like that her Weapons/Psionic Training cards aren't a forced response.

Psionic Redirect optionally applying confuse twice off one card is great. Getting to do it on the villain's turn is even better.

Also thumbs up for Cypher getting a card and the art being from Hickman's X-Men run.

Upside the head would have been a great card before the great "stalwart"-ing. Float like a Butterfly probably would never have been good but maybe someday we'll get enough cards with that effect where you can have a fun gimmick deck.

Telepathy is one of the more potent neutral cards we've seen in a while that wasn't Alter-Ego-centric. It's nice that they clear up right away that you can use Power of the Mind to pay for it because there was some disagreement over if "paying" for a card meant that it had to be putting the card into play, or if it counted for using an ability on a card already in play.

Lay the Trap is pretty good.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how Psylocke looks. I normally hate 4 hand size heroes but if she has 2 free resources every turn, then that's pretty good.

edit: The alter-ego art used and the "shadow" image teaser from the Cable/Domino box was really a stretch. She looks like she's in a club. Sometimes I like the art, but this one was really a stretch.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 27, 2023

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
drat the packaging always looks so low rent

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

John Romero posted:

drat the packaging always looks so low rent

Cause it is. They changed sometime back to the clear clamshell for LCG packs.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Not an LCG, but it's from FFG and might impact the three LCGs we all love:

https://www.polygon.com/tabletop-games/23712975/star-wars-unlimited-tcg-developer-interview-announcement-release-date-price

FFG is making another Star Wars card game. (A competitive CCG.)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's no way a competitive ccg has any market nowadays right? I feel like it's on life support even before it releases.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

SettingSun posted:

There's no way a competitive ccg has any market nowadays right? I feel like it's on life support even before it releases.

Flesh and Blood seems to do okay for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Competitive CCGs have had a bit of an old resurgence over the course of the pandemic. MtG pissing its player base off is also potentially displacing some players.

Flesh and Blood is doing well, Pokemon and Yu-GI-Oh still sell well. Digimon and One Piece have done well. Ravensburger are doing the Lorcana (Disney CCG).

There’s a lot more money in a CCG than an LCG and CCGs have a few key advantages over LCGs that make them more attractive to shops to support.