Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sniper4625 posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/us/politics/nord-stream-pipeline-sabotage-ukraine.html

Pro-Ukranian freelancers allegedly responsible for the Nordstream explosions now per NYT? Or at least suggested as such. Interesting.

Throw it on the pile with the rest of the speculation, I guess.

The article is very slim on real information, and just seems to lean on a lot of coulda, mighta possibilities from anonymous sources. Very click-baity.

Part of the problem is that it doesn't really make sense for anybody to have done it, yet someone did - so I'm mainly curious about their chain of logic that convinced them it was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

OddObserver posted:

That seems like an odd thing for a group of freelancers to be able to do, but maybe there are some really opinionated hobby divers?

This looks like a job for the SEA PATROL.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I can see Ukrainians emotionally wanting to blow them up --- they are after all symbols of European appeasement of Russia --- but it seems hard to do for people w/o some specialized stuff (which as I just said, might be less specialized than I think since I don't know anything about diving...)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/us/politics/nord-stream-pipeline-sabotage-ukraine.html

Pro-Ukranian freelancers allegedly responsible for the Nordstream explosions now per NYT? Or at least suggested as such. Interesting.

It's quite vague so far:

quote:

U.S. officials said there was much they did not know about the perpetrators and their affiliations. The review of newly collected intelligence suggests they were opponents of President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, but does not specify the members of the group, or who directed or paid for the operation. U.S. officials declined to disclose the nature of the intelligence, how it was obtained or any details of the strength of the evidence it contains. They have said that there are no firm conclusions about it, leaving open the possibility that the operation might have been conducted off the books by a proxy force with connections to the Ukrainian government or its security services.

Some initial U.S. and European speculation centered on possible Russian culpability, especially given its prowess in undersea operations, though it is unclear what motivation the Kremlin would have in sabotaging the pipelines given that they have been an important source of revenue and a means for Moscow to exert influence over Europe. One estimate put the cost of repairing the pipelines starting at about $500 million. U.S. officials say they have not found any evidence of involvement by the Russian government in the attack.

Officials who have reviewed the intelligence said they believed the saboteurs were most likely Ukrainian or Russian nationals, or some combination of the two. U.S. officials said no American or British nationals were involved.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Deteriorata posted:

Part of the problem is that it doesn't really make sense for anybody to have done it, yet someone did - so I'm mainly curious about their chain of logic that convinced them it was a good idea.

Didn't the Russians have a reason to do it if they were going to cut Germany off? I remember people on here claiming at the time that contracts would generally not penalize non-delivery in the event of sabotage the same way as deliberate failure to comply with the agreement. Not sure if it was actually true (I am not a lawyer).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OddObserver posted:

I can see Ukrainians emotionally wanting to blow them up --- they are after all symbols of European appeasement of Russia --- but it seems hard to do for people w/o some specialized stuff (which as I just said, might be less specialized than I think since I don't know anything about diving...)

The depths they’d be operating at to do that require extremely specialized gear and training. I’ve got an effortpost kicking around one of the Ukraine threads from when it first happened that I can try and dig up as to exactly how much training and gear would go into something like that, I can try and dig it up.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
my bad, removed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This was in response to one of mlmp08's "excerpts as I choose them" posts from an SDO briefing on 29 Sept. In that excerpt, SDO mentioned that the bombed area of the pipeline was 80-100m down, which is where I got those numbers form.

My own background: I'm a former PADI divemaster who never got into the technical diving* world, but was on the verge of taking the plunge ( :dadjoke: ) before covid hit. The shop I worked for was owned by a tech diving instructor who was constantly trying to lure me into those depths, and a lot of our other staff was tech-certified to some degree or another...so I've had some exposure to that world. My own gear was set up as the self-reliant diver type, which was done as a precursor to a tech setup (particularly the 'carrying multiple independent tanks' aspect).

Icon Of Sin posted:

80-100m down is pretty far, even for the technical divers I used to know. It’s still doable by divers, but there would be a lot of moving parts, specialized gear, hell even special gas mixes just to even breathe at that depth as a diver (some version of trimix with almost all of the O2 pulled out would have to be the breathing gas at depth, for how the pressure and biochemistry interact).

Quick/dirty of it: oxygen turns toxic at a certain partial pressure, and nitrogen will make you feel drunk. Atmospheric air won’t be toxic (for the O2 content) until ~190ft, but the N2 will probably get you hammered long before then.

addendum for today: current research says both gases contribute to the narcotic effect

First solution: heliox. Helium/oxygen blend. Probably hilarious to listen to on comms, but the lack of N also became a problem for reasons that I think are still under investigation (something to do with cellular signaling; heliox was rumored to cause tremors).

(The O2 pathways involved are also still under investigation for the why, but we’re pretty sure about the combo and concentration that makes it toxic, and the point at which that happens)

Second solution: heliox + a touch of nitrogen, aka trimix. Expensive (local dive shop used to charge like $40 per tank), but it works. Using this on a rebreather can take you as far down as you’d need to go, as long as you don’t go too deep for the O2 content to catch up to you and give you a seizure.

At 100m down, you’d have to breathe gas that was ~12% O2 to avoid seizure onset from O2 exposure (if I did the math right). You’d also have to have some sort of decompression chamber available, because they can’t go to the surface and decompress (that gets you spotted), but I’m pretty sure there’s a Russian sub add-on for dudes to do exactly this as the sub is bugging out. The SEALs have this kind of bolt-on chamber, at least. I think it’s a modified submarine escape system (since that’s technically what they’re doing :v: ), it’s a lockout trunk.

SEAL version:
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-navy-seals-swim-out-of-a-submarine-2017-12?amp

I assume the Soviets had some equivalent to this, and that the Russians have one as well. The ocean gives no fucks about those on it or in it though, it had to have been maintained to stay functional.

Aside: the current (known) record for a rebreather dive is ~290m.

https://blackwatertek.com/deep-ccr-world-record/

*technical diving: any diving where either by time or depth, you are required to do decompression stops of some sort. This is as opposed to recreational diving, where decompression stops are inherently not mandatory (but still encouraged as "safety stops". The depth at which things change from recreational diving to technical diving is generally held to be around 40m/130ft, by the civilian training agencies. If you're going by USN dive tables, they don't give a gently caress about decompression until you hit the maximum operating depth for whatever gas mix you're breathing (approximately 190ft for atmospheric gas, this depth moves upwards if you take out nitrogen and mix in more oxygen).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Why Ukraine is still defending Bakhmut:

Ukraine says Wagner is running out of prisoner recruits to send into the battle for Bakhmut

quote:

Ukrainian officials said on Tuesday that Russia’s Wagner private military company had been forced to shift to using more of its professional soldiers in the battle for Bakhmut as its supply of prisoner recruits dwindled. The claim suggested that Ukraine, by insisting that it will keep defending Bakhmut, may see an opportunity to hang on long enough there to severely damage Wagner, a highly effective fighting force for Russia.

“This is their last shot,” Col. Serhiy Cherevaty, a spokesman for Ukraine’s eastern group of forces, told Radio Liberty in an interview, referring to the Wagner group.

The mercenary force has helped Russia make crawling advances toward Bakhmut largely by throwing waves of ex-prisoners toward Ukrainian positions, wearing Kyiv’s forces down but at heavy cost. “Almost all of them have been killed there” in Bakhmut, Colonel Cherevaty said of the prisoner brigades, losses that have led Wagner to begin using more former Russian special forces from within its ranks.

Wagner’s founder, Yevgeny V. Prigozhin, has been in a public battle with Russia’s Defense Ministry and has said that he has not been allowed to recruit more prisoners recently, even though those recruits are thought to have been critical to Wagner’s success in Bakhmut. Mr. Prigozhin — who has criticized Russia’s military leadership as woefully ineffective — has publicly questioned whether that decision to cut off the supply of prisoners is intentional to destroy Wagner’s “offensive potential.”

The comments by Colonel Cherevaty came as some analysts question whether Ukraine should continue to expend so many resources in the withering battle to try to hold on to Bakhmut. On Monday, President Volodymyr Zelensky said that two top Ukrainian military commanders had urged him not to withdraw from the city, even as Russian forces surround the city from three directions and both sides suffer enormous casualties.

Other analysts say that if Ukraine can eliminate Russia’s limited supply of prisoner soldiers in Bakhmut, they will not have to face them again elsewhere.

“Russian convict recruits suitable for combat is not limitless, and the permanent elimination of tens of thousands of them in Bakhmut means that they will not be available for more important fights,” according to the Institute for the Study of War, a research group in Washington.

The group echoed Ukraine’s assessment that Wagner units were shifting away from brigades of former prisoners after enduring steep losses.

“Russian forces near Bakhmut have recently changed tactics and committed higher-quality special forces,” the group said, adding that Wagner was using prisoners there in “a much more limited extent than in previous months” because of high losses in its waves of frontal assaults.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Icon Of Sin posted:

This was in response to one of mlmp08's "excerpts as I choose them" posts from an SDO briefing on 29 Sept. In that excerpt, SDO mentioned that the bombed area of the pipeline was 80-100m down, which is where I got those numbers form.

My own background: I'm a former PADI divemaster who never got into the technical diving* world, but was on the verge of taking the plunge ( :dadjoke: ) before covid hit. The shop I worked for was owned by a tech diving instructor who was constantly trying to lure me into those depths, and a lot of our other staff was tech-certified to some degree or another...so I've had some exposure to that world. My own gear was set up as the self-reliant diver type, which was done as a precursor to a tech setup (particularly the 'carrying multiple independent tanks' aspect).

*technical diving: any diving where either by time or depth, you are required to do decompression stops of some sort. This is as opposed to recreational diving, where decompression stops are inherently not mandatory (but still encouraged as "safety stops". The depth at which things change from recreational diving to technical diving is generally held to be around 40m/130ft, by the civilian training agencies. If you're going by USN dive tables, they don't give a gently caress about decompression until you hit the maximum operating depth for whatever gas mix you're breathing (approximately 190ft for atmospheric gas, this depth moves upwards if you take out nitrogen and mix in more oxygen).

Thanks for digging this up. It seems quite unlikely that somebody would just recruit some 'ard lads in a pub to do this sort of thing, and I imagine the average professional diver would not usually know how to handle explosives. So that brings us back to some kind of state-sponsored group.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Thanks for digging this up. It seems quite unlikely that somebody would just recruit some 'ard lads in a pub to do this sort of thing, and I imagine the average professional diver would not usually know how to handle explosives. So that brings us back to some kind of state-sponsored group.

Who says it had to be divers, anyway? Not saying that I believe James Cameron did it, but it seems like the explosives could be inserted in several ways. In all cases making a bomb that works reliably at such depths seems like the rarer skill set than working at those depths, imo. (Unless the bombs were inside the pipes.)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The Bakhmut situation is fascinating, but it's worth mentioning that if you wanted to withdraw, claiming you're going to keep defending the city would be a very good idea. There was similar talk of reinforcements being brought in when Ukraine withdrew from Lysychansk

I also believe that they may be able to hold on long enough to break Wagner and roll them over though, so it could be either.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

I think it's less about damaging Wagner militarily, so much as damaging them politically. As much as they're evil bastards, Prigozhin, Kadyrov, and Surovikin were a trifecta of reasonably competent Russian power movers who were briefly collaborating last year. Surovikin's infrastructure strategy failed but he prevented a general Russian collapse by retreating from unfavorable terrain around Kharkiv and Kherson. His removal coincided with costly Russian assaults at Vuhledar under the new command. If they'd succeeded in ousting Shoigu then Russian leadership may have become far more effective.

Holding Bakhmut means damaging Wagner, and the associated power centers, in the Russian political scene i.e. they promised to take the city and have failed.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Morrow posted:

I think it's less about damaging Wagner militarily, so much as damaging them politically. As much as they're evil bastards, Prigozhin, Kadyrov, and Surovikin were a trifecta of reasonably competent Russian power movers who were briefly collaborating last year.

Wait, hold up, Kadyrov is in the reasonably competent column? I thought he was primarily a tiktok poo poo poster.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

WarpedLichen posted:

Wait, hold up, Kadyrov is in the reasonably competent column? I thought he was primarily a tiktok poo poo poster.

He's competent in the sense that he's successfully keeping Chechnya quiet. So politically competent at least, less sure about militarily.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tomn posted:

He's competent in the sense that he's successfully keeping Chechnya quiet. So politically competent at least, less sure about militarily.

Also provides valuable domestic assassination services.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009
German investigative report on NordStream : https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2023-03/nordstream-2-ukraine-anschlag

DeepL -Translation:

The German investigative authorities have apparently made a breakthrough in solving the attack on the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines. According to a joint investigation by ARD's capital city studio, the ARD political magazine Kontraste, SWR and DIE ZEIT, it has been possible to reconstruct to a large extent how and when the explosives attack was prepared. According to this, traces lead in the direction of Ukraine. However, investigators have not yet found any evidence of who ordered the destruction. On the night of September 26, 2022, three of the four strings of the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines were destroyed by explosions on the bottom of the Baltic Sea.

Specifically, according to information from ARD-Hauptstadtstudio, Kontraste, SWR and ZEIT, investigators have succeeded in identifying the boat that was presumably used for the secret operation. It is said to be a yacht rented from a company based in Poland, apparently owned by two Ukrainians. The clandestine operation at sea is said to have been carried out by a team of six people, according to the investigation. It is said to have involved five men and one woman. According to the report, the group consisted of a captain, two divers, two diving assistants and a female doctor, who are said to have transported the explosives to the crime scenes and placed them there. The nationality of the perpetrators is apparently unclear. The assassins used professionally forged passports, which are said to have been used, among other things, to rent the boat.

According to the investigation, the commando set sail from Rostock on September 6, 2022. The equipment for the clandestine operation was previously transported to the port in a van, it is said. In the further course, the investigators succeeded in locating the boat the following day again in Wieck (Darß) and later at the Danish island Christiansø, northeast of Bornholm, according to the research. The yacht was subsequently returned to the owner in uncleaned condition. On the table in the cabin, the investigators were able to detect traces of explosives, according to the research. According to information from ARD-Hauptstadtstudio, Kontraste, SWR and ZEIT, a Western intelligence service is said to have sent a tip to European partner services as early as in the fall, i.e. shortly after the destruction, according to which a Ukrainian commando was responsible for the destruction. Thereafter, there are said to have been further intelligence indications suggesting that a pro-Ukrainian group could be responsible.

For their research, ARD's Hauptstadtstudio, Kontraste, SWR and ZEIT spoke with sources in several countries. Security agencies in Germany, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands and the United States were involved in the investigation into the destruction of the pipelines. In Germany, the investigation is being led by the Federal Prosecutor General, who has commissioned both the Federal Criminal Police Office and the Federal Police. Even though traces lead to Ukraine, investigators have not yet succeeded in finding out who commissioned the suspected group of perpetrators. In international security circles, it is not ruled out that this could also be a false-flag operation. This means that traces could also have been deliberately laid that point to Ukraine as the perpetrator. However, investigators have apparently found no evidence to corroborate such a scenario.

The Ukrainian government could not initially be reached for comment. The federal prosecutor general also declined to comment. A German government spokesman referred to ongoing investigations by the Federal Prosecutor General and authorities in Sweden and Denmark. Only "a few days ago," Sweden, Denmark and Germany had "informed the United Nations Security Council that the investigations are ongoing and that there are no results yet," the government spokesman said.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, Kadyrov isn't competent at all and his "handpicked troops" invented the Tiktok soldier meme.

Surovikin is a mildly competent general in that he knew that Russia needed to go on the defense to recover its strength and had the media persona of "Colonel Armageddon" so he could sell it while warcriming the crap out of Ukraine in the wake of the Kerch Bridge downing. Thus he was able to actually sell the Kherson withdrawal and kept the defenders there reasonably intact.

Prigozhin is a politician (and hilariously profane and not-as-hilariously brutal ex-convict) whose military experience is about 2 steps removed from gang warfare.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

Aren't his men also the guardsmen that hunt down and shoot deserters?

Kadyrov might be a joke of a political leader, but he is a ruthless warlord running a very tight ship with his personal army, while providing several useful services to Putin. Also like Shoigu, he is also completely impossible option as a potential replacement for Putin, so he has his place in the Inner circle, and being loyal to the top dog who pays his bills is also his lifeline. If the next one decides to kick Kadyrov out of Kremlin due to lack of trust, his puppet show dictatorship comes crashing down when he runs out of money.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hold on, the PADI taught decompression stops aren’t actually necessary? That’s hilarious somehow, I’ve always been so diligent and felt like I was doing something important.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ought ten posted:

Hold on, the PADI taught decompression stops aren’t actually necessary? That’s hilarious somehow, I’ve always been so diligent and felt like I was doing something important.

Yes and no. They’re always a good idea no matter what you did, and every dive computer will tell you to do a safety stop no matter what now.

On the navy tables (designed for hyper-fit 18-26 year olds), safety stops don’t exist. Tue navy tables also allow for a 100ft per minute ascension rate (also an 80ft per minute descent rate!), and these concepts fill me with a terror I can’t properly articulate.

always do your safety stops anyways, especially if you’ve been diving a lot that day/the previous few days. It’s a good habit to have.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
People miss the point with Kadyrov's competence: it's not about military competence of his forces or w/e it's about the solidity of his grip on power in Chechnya and his ability to continue to deliver a functionally stable, pacified Chechen state to Putin. Putin's deal with Kadyrov was a devil's bargain of huge funding and an absolute blank pass for Kadyrov's state in return for no further political or military problems from Chechnya. To that effect his state is quite effective.

Kadyrov's social media stuff also significantly predates tik tok. insofar as it matters, it mostly is just a reflection of him having been media savvy for a long time, insofar as it matters at all. Generally the kadyrovite tik tok stuff is completely insignificant and not worth reading into really at all

The effectiveness of Kadyrov's security state and its brutality is not really in question. Every time it looks like perhaps there are cracks forming he steps up to an even more egregious level of repression and reprisals.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 7, 2023

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Well, best case scenario is that this is some rogue bunch of idiots acting on their own. Though even then, if that is in fact the case it's still kinda disturbing that a rogue bunch of idiots can successfully sabotage as major a piece of infrastructure as Nordstream.

If it was an official Ukrainian government op all hell would break loose. I imagine there are some very pointed questions being asked at the government level between Western leaders and Ukraine right now.

Though that being said, if this WAS a professional op you'd think that tidying up a rented boat and not leaving evidence of explosives behind would have been a basic part of operational security.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think it's pretty clear there won't be a sober analysis on who blew up the pipeline for another decade (but the CIA were probably involved regardless)

BungMonkey
Sep 7, 2000

Mmm... Mulched baby...

Deteriorata posted:

The simplest theory I've seen is that Russians spent a week rigging bombs in early September on the then-dormant NS1 lines for use in scaring the Germans in mid-winter, but an NS2 line ruptured due to poor construction in late September, forcing the Russians to blow the bombs shortly after to avoid their discovery in subsequent pipeline inspections.

So, as usual, Russia's highest-stakes super-spy skullduggery is being undermined by institutional corruption and incompetence. #Moscow4

This guy is actively working on gathering supporting evidence for this theory, which is worth taking a look at:

https://oalexanderdk.substack.com/p/is-the-akademik-cherskiy-to-blame

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Aren't his men also the guardsmen that hunt down and shoot deserters?

No, you should stop reading whatever racist rag you took Chechen executioners from.

Morrow posted:

I think it's less about damaging Wagner militarily, so much as damaging them politically. As much as they're evil bastards, Prigozhin, Kadyrov, and Surovikin were a trifecta of reasonably competent Russian power movers who were briefly collaborating last year.

Kadyrov stopped being involved intimately after Mariupol', and has been carefully whining about the Chechen sacrifices to the war ever since, when it turned out that Ukrainians shoot back and the whole thing is a bit more complicated than terrorizing the domestic population.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

It was also the time in the crisis where Eastern EU members and Germany with France were still infighting on how to react to this war. There were also people inside EU being glad that "ignore Eastern European EU members as usual and press for normalized relations with Russia" was no longer an option the German government could take.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kadyrov stopped being involved intimately after Mariupol', and has been carefully whining about the Chechen sacrifices to the war ever since, when it turned out that Ukrainians shoot back and the whole thing is a bit more complicated than terrorizing the domestic population.

Which is unfortunate - Russia would be out of every category of ammunition by now if the 1st TikTok Regiment had continued their phenomenal work of shooting from hip at empty buildings.

Meanwhile - Turkey will meet with Finland and Sweden in Brussels on Thursday after a long pause in talks. There's no telling if anything has changed. But Swedish government has now written the bill for joining NATO, which the parliament will pass two weeks from now. Finland passed its NATO law last week. Hungarian politicians are also visiting Finnish parliament tomorrow, so it's a busy NATO week.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A U.S. general says that Ukrainians are already using JDAM-ERs for 3 weeks, if in limited numbers. That Bloomberg article about them would align with the timing quite closely. https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/winged-jdam-smart-bombs-are-now-operational-in-ukraine

Tomn posted:

Well, best case scenario is that this is some rogue bunch of idiots acting on their own. Though even then, if that is in fact the case it's still kinda disturbing that a rogue bunch of idiots can successfully sabotage as major a piece of infrastructure as Nordstream.

If it was an official Ukrainian government op all hell would break loose. I imagine there are some very pointed questions being asked at the government level between Western leaders and Ukraine right now.

Though that being said, if this WAS a professional op you'd think that tidying up a rented boat and not leaving evidence of explosives behind would have been a basic part of operational security.

Currently the story is, to quote a summary I saw elsewhere online:

quote:

Indications that it was ~Eastern Europeans with forged passports~ who did it. Our unknown source said traces lead to ~Ukraine~, but maybe it is a ~false flag~ but there are no indicators for a ~false flag~. And none of the authorities we ask will give us a statement on this !1!

Which basically looks the same as the American piece from earlier. Going to need at least some meaningful details here.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Herstory Begins Now posted:

People miss the point with Kadyrov's competence: it's not about military competence of his forces or w/e it's about the solidity of his grip on power in Chechnya and his ability to continue to deliver a functionally stable, pacified Chechen state to Putin. Putin's deal with Kadyrov was a devil's bargain of huge funding and an absolute blank pass for Kadyrov's state in return for no further political or military problems from Chechnya. To that effect his state is quite effective.

the skills and tactics that are very effective in maintaining a tyrannical grip on a region where you have extensive personal ties and an informally organized opposing force are very much not the skills you need to direct an offensive military campaign against an actual army in foreign territory

kadyrov is a very competent mafia boss, but you don't send a mafia to do conventional warfare

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the skills and tactics that are very effective in maintaining a tyrannical grip on a region where you have extensive personal ties and an informally organized opposing force are very much not the skills you need to direct an offensive military campaign against an actual army in foreign territory

kadyrov is a very competent mafia boss, but you don't send a mafia to do conventional warfare

Yeah, idk why people even bring up his competence in military terms as relevant to anything because it just isn't. He self-styles as a warlord, but that's been transparently an aesthetic thing forever

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This seems really thin evidence. Until they know the identities of the people who carried out the operation, the boat being owned by a Ukrainian doesn't mean anything.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

This seems really thin evidence. Until they know the identities of the people who carried out the operation, the boat being owned by a Ukrainian doesn't mean anything.

Pointing that out without evidence that the owner was connected beyond a routine rental strikes me as a rather irresponsible insinuation.

Edit: the article is still way better than NYT one, which is just basically "some spooks leaked us some vague stuff, trust us, bro!"

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 8, 2023

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The training required to even operate at these depths safely really makes me doubt this could be done as anything but someone actually supplied/trained well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://kyivindependent.com/national/season-of-offensives-what-to-expect-from-the-spring-campaign-in-ukraine

Kyiv Independent has a collab piece with Kofman and Lee about what's reasonably expected to come.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If the Nordstream pipeline is back in the discussion, what was the general response to the Seymour Hersh article alleging that it was the United States? That still seems to be a popular citation for explaining what happened.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dolash posted:

If the Nordstream pipeline is back in the discussion, what was the general response to the Seymour Hersh article alleging that it was the United States? That still seems to be a popular citation for explaining what happened.

Seymour Hersh is not a credible journalist and hasn't been for several decades.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dolash posted:

You can read it here:

yurtcradled posted:

Well this is something... Seymour Hersh apparently created a substack a few hours ago and posted an essay titled How America Took Out the Nordstream.

Sy tells us the US started working on it months before Russian forces crossed into Ukraine, that Norway was the biggest partner, and that they originally planned to set a 48-hour timer on charges planted during the BALTOPS exercise, but decided to design a remote-controlled detonator at the last minute.

Sounds weird, but so does every other story. I was hoping it would turn out to be something more cyberpunk.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hersh's piece leans very heavily into pro-Russian narratives, including some that are obviously and demonstrably false (eg the idea that the only reason Germany currently isn't importing Russian gas is due to the sabotage - Russia cut the flow of gas off well before and has not restored it since even though there is a surviving pipeline). It's catnip for people who already support Russia but it's unlikely to convince many who weren't already on that team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcERDZR9lpo

This is a pretty good panel discussion from a couple of weeks ago about the past, present and future of Russia's outlook on the war. Maria Snegovaya, Michael Kimmage, Dara Massicot.

Maybe not as entertaining as Zeihan, but probably a lot more on point.