Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

re: stories, yeah, im not worried about things once i make it to an interview. it's the weed out step with HR and recruiters i need to get through - i've never interviewed for leadership type rolls before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Achmed Jones posted:

as far as stories and resumes go: holy poo poo my old promo packet was awesome for fixing up my resume. had the quantified impact and everything. idk how structured other companies' primo processes are, but if they're like google they make it real easy to keep your resume current

Oh yeah if any of my team wants to jump ship, all they need to do is dump a column from a spreadsheet and anonymize it.

Sadly there's no process whatsoever for the management ladder. Engineering doesn't even have a director even though product and data do. On the plus side, the CTO said that he wanted to hire a director but won't since I do all the stuff he wanted a director to so, so I'm either a sucker or on a fast track to the big bucks.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Just went through the promo packet process and after a lovely few weeks, looking at jumping ship - I'm definitely in a much better place to touch up my resume.

It's funny how one day can be so lovely you do a complete 180 on your satisfaction and plans for the next 1-2 years.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

luchadornado posted:

Just went through the promo packet process and after a lovely few weeks, looking at jumping ship - I'm definitely in a much better place to touch up my resume.

It's funny how one day can be so lovely you do a complete 180 on your satisfaction and plans for the next 1-2 years.

One day the cup just overflows.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Achmed Jones posted:

re: stories, yeah, im not worried about things once i make it to an interview. it's the weed out step with HR and recruiters i need to get through - i've never interviewed for leadership type rolls before

The job of an L3-L5 equivalent is pretty much the same everywhere, but once you start looking outside that range the specific roles start to depend a lot more on the organization you're looking at. I don't think you need to necessarily need to have multiple versions of your resume out there but minor adjustments are probably a good idea.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
After grousing about my pay the other day I went off so see what openings I might be able to fit at Google and there was an L3 job I was immensely overqualified for but with a median base pay that was higher than any job I’ve ever had. Does Google “rank up” job titles if they get an overqualified candidate or do I just need to keep an eye out for L5 jobs?

I know I’ve got a lot of interview prep & resume adjusting to do (and talking it over with my wife because it would take us back to the US) so I’m not jumping on anything yet; more just a general question.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What's a good resource for practicing code interview test? Been a while and I doubt interviewers are just throwing fizzbuzz around these days.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

After grousing about my pay the other day I went off so see what openings I might be able to fit at Google and there was an L3 job I was immensely overqualified for but with a median base pay that was higher than any job I’ve ever had. Does Google “rank up” job titles if they get an overqualified candidate or do I just need to keep an eye out for L5 jobs?

I know I’ve got a lot of interview prep & resume adjusting to do (and talking it over with my wife because it would take us back to the US) so I’m not jumping on anything yet; more just a general question.

I've seen people both over and under levelled. You basically come in where you are hired (usually down a level from a non FAANG position) and it should correct slowly over time. I dropped a level when I came in but eventually made it back to senior a few years later - in the mean time making way more than I had previously.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

What's a good resource for practicing code interview test? Been a while and I doubt interviewers are just throwing fizzbuzz around these days.

leetcode

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Paolomania posted:

I've seen people both over and under levelled. You basically come in where you are hired (usually down a level from a non FAANG position) and it should correct slowly over time. I dropped a level when I came in but eventually made it back to senior a few years later - in the mean time making way more than I had previously.

:same:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

McCracAttack posted:

I found cracking the coding interview helpful.

Hackerrank has lots of interview like coding problems to practice with, about the same as leer code last time I checked, a few years back.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Paolomania posted:

Good to know, thanks!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

McCracAttack posted:

HackerRank and Leetcode are the platforms I've been seeing most of. For more algorithms practice, there's Project Euler, Advent of Code, and ACM/ICPC problem sets. Cracking the Coding Interview remains a good overview of the different skills that these problems test: time/space complexity, combinatorics, recursion, string parsing, traversal/search, clustering, dynamic programming, reduction of the problem space

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Letetcode is pretty decent. Cramming it is basically how I broke into FAANG, or whatever it is now.

Depending less on my compensation and more on prospects outside of my current team, I might jump ship as well. The org I initially joined is unhealthy, my team is unproductive and something of a pariah, and I’m stagnating as an engineer. If internal transfers are still frozen (and as far as I can tell they are), my current team isn’t attractive enough to stick around for.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Got my comp letter. It's not as bad as I was kind of expecting, but still pretty disappointing.

Notable highlights:

* I make less as an L5 than as an L4. This is the case looking at my as-granted numbers; if I look at as-vested it's much worse.
* When I put in for full-time remote, Google said that only my salary - not equity - would be affected. This was a lie.

Welp.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Google dings your salary if you work remote?

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I don't know Google specifically, but the general rule for large (over 50 people) companies is all positions need to be advertised before they can be filled. There's also a rule that you can't reject a candidate for being over qualified, but that's a lot easier to work around. The root of both rules is to encourage open and fair hiring.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yep. Amazon too. I took a 10% pay cut moving from CA to WA even though I was fully remote in both places. Pretty lame.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

* I make less as an L5 than as an L4. This is the case looking at my as-granted numbers; if I look at as-vested it's much worse.

:eyepop:

quote:

* When I put in for full-time remote, Google said that only my salary - not equity - would be affected. This was a lie.

Welp.

:popeye:

—-

I mean, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised about that last one. There’s no way a corpo wouldn’t try to claw back WFH/remote as much as possible. But wow that first one is egregious. I’m worried that there’s gonna be a massive brain drain soon.

I can’t wait for mine.

StumblyWumbly posted:

5-10% pay cut.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't know Google specifically, but the general rule for large (over 50 people) companies is all positions need to be advertised before they can be filled.
Yeah, I worked in a building that had a pin board behind the security check with such "advertisements," literal sheets of paper with job requirements detailed. It's sorta unclear to me how anyone would find them, even assuming they were in the right industry and looking, unless they stopped by the building every day.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't know Google specifically, but the general rule for large (over 50 people) companies is all positions need to be advertised before they can be filled. There's also a rule that you can't reject a candidate for being over qualified, but that's a lot easier to work around. The root of both rules is to encourage open and fair hiring.

while your sentiment is fine, your threshold for a "large" org is missing some zeros

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

while your sentiment is fine, your threshold for a "large" org is missing some zeros

no, they're correct. "large business" is a legal term and it is defined as 50 employees.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hmm

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

do you have a source, because initial search results show multiple answers between 500 and 1500

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kinda of unrelated but I’m getting pretty sick of the most senior engineer on this team being super picky about the PRs I put up. Single line comments like “no make it one function”, I do so and then he’s like “no put this field on this struct and do these specific things that I did not explain at all in the original bug”.

Like just do the ticket yourself then. Or take some communication/socializing classes.

Am I just being lovely? I feel like almost everything I do on this team is just implement something exactly how some other dev orders it. I haven’t grown as an engineer at all.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 7, 2023

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What happens if you push back? Do you ever push back? Do you agree or disagree with the review comments, or are they just nitpicks? Does the senior dev actually make them blocking comments?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve pushed back before and he complained the entire time and I’m sick of that so at this point I just do whatever he asks.

Not a good sign.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

do you have a source, because initial search results show multiple answers between 500 and 1500

berkeley says 50, san francisco says 100, the sba says "more than 1500 or 41.5mil revenue"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda of unrelated but I’m getting pretty sick of the most senior engineer on this team being super picky about the PRs I put up. Single line comments like “no make it one function”, I do so and then he’s like “no put this field on this struct and do these specific things that I did not explain at all in the original bug”.

Like just do the ticket yourself then. Or take some communication/socializing classes.

Am I just being lovely? I feel like almost everything I do on this team is just implement something exactly how some other dev orders it. I haven’t grown as an engineer at all.

it took me a while to get over the habit of reviewing a pr as if it was my own code

these days as long as it works, follows convention, and doesn't introduce new problems, I'll mash that approve button with minimal comments

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like this guy’s a tad behind, then.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve pushed back before and he complained the entire time and I’m sick of that so at this point I just do whatever he asks.

Do you feel comfortable posting a verbatim example? It’s hard to analyze what’s exactly is happening.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

LLSix posted:

I found cracking the coding interview helpful.

Vulture Culture posted:

HackerRank and Leetcode are the platforms I've been seeing most of.

Pollyanna posted:

Letetcode is pretty decent. Cramming it is basically how I broke into FAANG, or whatever it is now.

I appreciate all the replies. Plenty to chew on here.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe you are, maybe you're not. You shouldn't take PRs personally, but people also shouldn't nitpick on things that don't have any substantial value. There's a balance and its tough to say where that lies without knowing the team, the work, and some specific examples.

I can say from the other side of the table, some people might call my PR reviews being picky when I'm trying to teach things that I consider important. Try to understand what they're trying to teach you. There's a chance they're just a lovely senior, but it's also hard being in those shoes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harriet Carker posted:

Do you feel comfortable posting a verbatim example? It’s hard to analyze what’s exactly is happening.

I’ll do you one better - I decided to push back on this one. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

luchadornado posted:

Maybe you are, maybe you're not. You shouldn't take PRs personally, but people also shouldn't nitpick on things that don't have any substantial value. There's a balance and its tough to say where that lies without knowing the team, the work, and some specific examples.

I can say from the other side of the table, some people might call my PR reviews being picky when I'm trying to teach things that I consider important. Try to understand what they're trying to teach you. There's a chance they're just a lovely senior, but it's also hard being in those shoes.

You’re not wrong, I can’t take these things too personally. I might be building it up in my head. That said, I don’t have a lot of confidence in this particular person in terms of :airquote: engineering excellence :airquote:, so it’s a little hard to believe in the optimistic case.

Might be a result of all the fallout from organizational BS that’s burned out a couple engineers on my team and possibly myself as well.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
The biggest pet-peeve I have about code reviews is when I see: "yes, that's fine, but can you go and refactor <completely-unrelated-code> to achieve some nicer-looking code here?"
Hmm ... no, I can't, it's completely unrelated to this issue that I'm solving. It's an important issue, it's definitely bigger than a 1 line change, it deserves its own ticket, planning, time and sprint. This patch fixes issue X, not Y, Z and T.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I only offer that as an idea because it's kind of what I'm going through right now - I've been busting my rear end off trying to place the team's needs above my own, I slip up and make one minor mistake, and got jumped on. They felt like I was slamming down the iron fist when I was just trying to help. And now I understand how my managers have felt all these years :smith:

Learning how to work with people is the best skill to gain IMO. It's hard as poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As above, so below. Bullshit elsewhere bleeds into the rest of life. If there’s org challenges, layoffs, burnout, etc., it can manifest as a poor rapport between reviewer and reviewee for reason that have nothing to do with the more senior, mentor engineer. It likely isn’t personal in your case either, and hey, leading a horse to water and all that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

The Fool posted:

berkeley says 50, san francisco says 100, the sba says "more than 1500 or 41.5mil revenue"
Yeah, "large" is not the right work, but I believe past 50 people you start being required to meet some do-not-discriminate hiring laws. Could be a state by state thing. For SBIRs, you're a small business if you're under 500 people.

Pollyanna posted:

You’re not wrong, I can’t take these things too personally. I might be building it up in my head. That said, I don’t have a lot of confidence in this particular person in terms of :airquote: engineering excellence :airquote:, so it’s a little hard to believe in the optimistic case.

Might be a result of all the fallout from organizational BS that’s burned out a couple engineers on my team and possibly myself as well.
Most important thing I learned is that engineering is a creative field and its essentially natural for engineers to take comments about their work personally. Once you (the general you) see this it starts helping the way you react and the way you treat other people's code. It feels dumb, but a part of that means the good before the bad in PR reviews.

Senior engineers should already know this, because part of being senior is helping other folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Part of being senior is also understanding the difference between actual issues and things you don't like. I'd definitely be having A Talk with any lead in my org who was trying to micromanage devs.