Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think even if they'd gotten the perfect shot and hit the weapon belt, they probably wouldn't have broken it. Overkill couldn't hack pieces off of other bots back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Its like they went into the fight knowing they're not the best out of the two and decided to sabotage themselves so they could blame the loss on that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Its like they went into the fight knowing they're not the best out of the two and decided to sabotage themselves so they could blame the loss on that.

And did a silly poll of the pit where obviously the meme configuration will win so they could even further distance themselves from the decision.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was also interesting to see that they didn't let the Mad Catter guy anywhere near a mic this episode :v:

I didn't think I'd ever reach this point as he has his whole persona going and all, but I have: I'm done with his shtick. No more. It's especially cringeworthy when they make him talk after a loss

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Scrotum Modem posted:

I didn't think I'd ever reach this point as he has his whole persona going and all, but I have: I'm done with his shtick. No more. It's especially cringeworthy when they make him talk after a loss

It's way more interesting that he's a community college professor bringing his students as the team than any schtick he (or the show) puts on. The blue collar worker and former community college professor in me really likes a team with that background going up against MIT wunderkinds. If they want to give him a schtick, they should lean into the plucky nature of the team.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

It's way more interesting that he's a community college professor bringing his students as the team than any schtick he (or the show) puts on. The blue collar worker and former community college professor in me really likes a team with that background going up against MIT wunderkinds. If they want to give him a schtick, they should lean into the plucky nature of the team.

Yeah, I love that about them. Similarly they mentioned the Jackpot captain is like a working union tradesman or something in this episode. They never fail to mention the MIT people, but tell me more about this loving welder dude who has a top 50% bot against all those pedigreed motherfuckers.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wrecking the sword was a dick move.

Jamison Go is the actual heel.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

There is a tradition after matches of signing pieces of your robot the other team ripped off and giving it to them. He wanted to completely cut off a piece of the Overkill sword to get that trophy.

I doubt Skorpios cared.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bertha the Toaster posted:

This is absolutely what it felt like to me, and it was a little embarrassing to watch.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Good to see the End Game boys fully admitting that the Riperoni loss was entirely on their shoulders. Hopefully it was the wakeup call they needed; they're just lucky it came early enough that the outcome wasn't critical.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

There is a tradition after matches of signing pieces of your robot the other team ripped off and giving it to them. He wanted to completely cut off a piece of the Overkill sword to get that trophy.

I doubt Skorpios cared.

There's also at least 5 others since he built a bunch of Overkills to job at the live shows.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

And did a silly poll of the pit where obviously the meme configuration will win so they could even further distance themselves from the decision.

A bit sad that they decided to basically check out of the competition at this point by giving up a fight like that. It's not just lazy it's defeatist. The comment before about jobber bots is apt, Skorpios seem to have decided they're a comfortable midfield "just happy to be here" but when you make that decision, events won't reward you, ask Hijinks or Gruff how that worked out.

apatheticman posted:

It's battlebots not tiddly-winks lol I'm sure they've got another one.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just :lmao: at Ripperoni and the "Florida man energy"

:discourse:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

A bit sad that they decided to basically check out of the competition at this point by giving up a fight like that. It's not just lazy it's defeatist. The comment before about jobber bots is apt, Skorpios seem to have decided they're a comfortable midfield "just happy to be here" but when you make that decision, events won't reward you, ask Hijinks or Gruff how that worked out.

They're unfortunately outclassed by Sawblaze, and I'm not sure how they can change that.

I don't know if it's as bad as you say. There is a lot of paper-rock-scissors to Battlebots where there are just some matchups you will not win and it sucks to be you if you draw them. Can't say that Skorpios is throwing in the towel and resigning themselves to the middle of the heap overall, but they definitely thought there was no loving way they could beat Sawblaze.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ewe2 posted:

Throwing my 2c in:

Witch Doctor was amazing, I can't believe the improvement in this bot this year, now its literally throwing bots in the air. There was a time when Witch Doctor and Hijinx were both in the same kind of league but that's history baby.

what? when?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

apatheticman posted:

overkill always sucked.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

They're unfortunately outclassed by Sawblaze, and I'm not sure how they can change that.

I don't know if it's as bad as you say. There is a lot of paper-rock-scissors to Battlebots where there are just some matchups you will not win and it sucks to be you if you draw them.

Duck vs. Quantum is probably the most hilarious example of this. Like, short of a fluke such as Quantum having a wire jostled loose from a collision or something like that, there is just no way they were losing that one lmao

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Borsche69 posted:

overkill always sucked.

I just wanted to lay the groundwork for a Jamison Go gently caress yourself joke

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I don't mind that kind of mirror match. Captain Shred versus Gigabyte isn't terrible to see. For the control bot matchup for Clawviper vs Overhaul though, it's pretty clear that one team really has the gimmick dialed in. With the Skorpios match though, Sawblaze is really, really dialed in and particularly lethal.

So ultimately I'm glad Skorpios did something stupid and had some fun with things with the potential for a Chomp-vs-Biteforce golden BB shot. I would hope that Triton would try to pull some crazy bullshit instead of just exploding in five seconds if they were against Tombstone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chronojam posted:

So ultimately I'm glad Skorpios did something stupid and had some fun with things

It almost reminds me of the Hydra vs Huge match where Hydra's flipper couldn't even reach Huge's chassis so they went "gently caress it, cow catcher attachment" except Jake Ewert is the designated villain so he just ended up looking like a buzzkill meanie

E: I guess they also had fake drama with the commentators building up the angle "The fans have been calling for this fight for years!!" and afterwards going "We never got the mirror fight we wanted, team Skorpios refused to give the fans what the wanted!"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 4, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

apatheticman posted:

I just wanted to lay the groundwork for a Jamison Go gently caress yourself joke

fair

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Chronojam posted:

I don't mind that kind of mirror match. Captain Shred versus Gigabyte isn't terrible to see. For the control bot matchup for Clawviper vs Overhaul though, it's pretty clear that one team really has the gimmick dialed in. With the Skorpios match though, Sawblaze is really, really dialed in and particularly lethal.

So ultimately I'm glad Skorpios did something stupid and had some fun with things with the potential for a Chomp-vs-Biteforce golden BB shot. I would hope that Triton would try to pull some crazy bullshit instead of just exploding in five seconds if they were against Tombstone.

idk, one of the things that surprised me was that skorpios actually did win the ground game on probably the majority of those exchanges (at least the ones where the giant sword wasn't tilting them off balance).

im a big sawblaze fan and uhh not so much a skorpios one so this was definitely something that caught my eye. i dont think skorpios would've won, but i think if they played a normal game they would've had a shot. it almost felt criminal the way they undervalued their own ground game

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah if by some crazy coincidence it had've worked it would have been one for the history books but :shrug:

there's only one bot that can precisely snipe a vital chain using an overhead weapon, and Awakened Chomp isn't in this season.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

someone on reddit is running an ELO ranking on battlebots
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTU5VncbtsiSlUOxnNsJfgSOxIjQduW1X0sgGbAlEDnjKB4y4avMgTBmAeFg-On7Gbs9qoHnl-qhvsM/pubhtml

Bite force is the strongest with a power level over 2000, the worst is Axe Backwards (neither of which are in this season)

Second strongest is Witch Doctor, second worst is Kraken (which is only narrowly worse than captain shredderator)

Historically, Rusty has had a better track record than 30 other bots.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 4, 2023

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

apatheticman posted:

Jamison Go gently caress yourself to the polls, this november!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tunicate posted:

there's only one bot that can precisely snipe a vital chain using an overhead weapon, and Awakened Chomp isn't in this season.

Someone please photoshop the Overkill buster sword onto Chomp TYIA

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Tunicate posted:

someone on reddit is running an ELO ranking on battlebots
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTU5VncbtsiSlUOxnNsJfgSOxIjQduW1X0sgGbAlEDnjKB4y4avMgTBmAeFg-On7Gbs9qoHnl-qhvsM/pubhtml

Bite force is the strongest with a power level over 2000, the worst is Axe Backwards (neither of which are in this season)

Second strongest is Witch Doctor, second worst is Kraken (which is only narrowly worse than captain shredderator)

Historically, Rusty has had a better track record than 30 other bots.
I love looking at Bite Force as number one, seeing that one loss, and knowing that it was Chomp who got the W

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv_DBHOODGE

Betterridge's law of headlines applies.

I appreciate that they designed a spispopd bot

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 4, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol when you lose so bad you have to put out a public apology

Hopefully no one was giving them too much heat for trying something silly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah dang I hope people weren't flaming them too hard, that sucks. :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This fight was a few weeks back, so not as timely, but I thought this video was very interesting for breaking down the rules systematically to show how judge's reach their decisions. Hopefully they do another one for Malice-Valkyrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDcUnyqlPsY

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Not a lot I'm jazzed about in this one. Main event should be good (worried about Whiplash starting 0-3 here). Riptide-Capt. Shredderator should be destructive at least. I feel like Copperhead is going to tear right through this rookie version of Kraken.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 7, 2023

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Man I love Kraken. I didn't realize how bad their record was though. I hope more bots that aren't verts can get dialed in the way Claw Viper has this year. I don't have high hopes that a crusher will ever be top bot, but at least a control bot has a chance to burn out a weapon motor and get an opponent stuck somehow.
I hope Whiplash can find their groove too. The sport is best when amazing driving is on display, in my opinion anyway.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Kudos to the producers for finding the one matchup that will have me rooting for Captain Shredderator.

Mammoth/Deathroll has the best chance to be a surprise great match. That great big gangly bastard either goes out like a chump or puts on a hell of a show.

Rest of it, lots of low expectations matches, so maybe with mine set to 'meh' it'll be exceed them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Banshee-Emulsifier might be good?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Slyphic posted:

Mammoth/Deathroll has the best chance to be a surprise great match. That great big gangly bastard either goes out like a chump or puts on a hell of a show.

Mammoth creates a lot of weird physics stuff, but I never really feel like it's a good show. It's got the Huge concept of a bot that is hard to damage because of how odd it is, but then there is absolutely no weapon at all. Does a bunch of little love taps and tries to win on technically "hitting" the opponent more. It's like watching a Floyd Mayweather match except Mammoth loses 90% of the time.

Yes, I am still salty about that playoff match against Copperhead :colbert:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Not a lot I'm jazzed about in this one. Main event should be good (worried about Whiplash starting 0-3 here). Riptide-Capt. Shredderator should be destructive at least. I feel like Copperhead is going to tear right through this rookie version of Kraken.

Might be a pretty fun fight card. Lots of rookie bots trying to prove they belong, should be interesting. Hoping Shreddit Bro fixes their maneuverability for this fight and shows something worthwhile. The captain is a pretty cool guy and needs to make something happen in the heavyweights!

Monsoon seems like a pretty tough draw for a struggling Whiplash. Not sure they will have an answer to Monsoon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Might be a pretty fun fight card. Lots of rookie bots trying to prove they belong, should be interesting. Hoping Shreddit Bro fixes their maneuverability for this fight and shows something worthwhile. The captain is a pretty cool guy and needs to make something happen in the heavyweights!

Monsoon seems like a pretty tough draw for a struggling Whiplash. Not sure they will have an answer to Monsoon.

I feel bad for that dude every time they lose because he seems to take it hard and I know they're a well-respected team with a lot of success in NHRL.

I saw elsewhere that Monsoon can't self-right, so that might be the answer for Whiplash right there.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

PostNouveau posted:

a lot of weird physics stuff
is what I live for. I mean, I appericate a good slug fest like MadCatter/Big Dill, or expertly driven control matches like anything Whiplash(2022) or Claw Viper (2023) like any red blooded human. But what gets me up from my chair is robots doing things robots shouldn't do like the phsyics engine hit an edge case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, this is an interesting card -- not a lot of obvious showstoppers, but a lot of weird fights, and it'll be interesting to see some of these bots get fights where they're not instantly getting exploded. Maybe optimistic, but I'm still riding the high of Big Dill looking plausible for three minutes against Madcatter, so LET'S GO CRAPBOTS