Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you come to the UK illegally, you can be a slave.

I wondered how they'd square the Tory farmer/landowner faction with the racist wingnut base, but yeah, that seems about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Sanford posted:

Incredible scenes. I don’t think I’ve ever typed that sincerely before. Dan, what trail cam are you using please, and would you recommend it?

gardepro a3s is the better quality one with the temp data- I just got that one, victure hc200 is the other and I would recommend either but the gardepro is a definite step up

had two others and messed with a few others the neighbouring farm uses- all seem pretty similar feature/function wise within a price band

oh, and if you get one and are dumping it in the woods and leaving it like I do, you will need two sets of batteries (rechargeable are normally fine) and SD cards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW0aQapamGk

this is from a "neewer" HD which is currently down for repairs and probably dead (lasted over two years tho)- even the best camera is gonna get a lot of videos where you don't see poo poo happen, or worse, get the impression something fantastic is happening a metre off to the side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2swrsv70FPU

love sitting and seeing what crops up each batch tho

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm sure I read at one point that as long as you declare your presence in the country within either 30 or 90 days of arriving you're not here illegally? Regardless of how you got here.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

DesperateDan posted:

you like badgers? deer? foxes? red wing thrushes?

you don't know what a red wing thrush looks like?

you like taking a few minutes away from the horror, the horror, the horror?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp3W9L1SRY

with the compliments of my animal comrades

I like those cute tiny deer

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Angrymog posted:

I'm sure I read at one point that as long as you declare your presence in the country within either 30 or 90 days of arriving you're not here illegally? Regardless of how you got here.

I don't think that will be the case, but IANAL and all that.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Private Speech posted:

I don't think that will be the case, but IANAL and all that.

I mean I thought it was currently the case. Obviously they don't want it to be the case.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure they'll go with something that's convenient for argibusiness.

Twelve Weeks a Slave.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Angrymog posted:

I mean I thought it was currently the case. Obviously they don't want it to be the case.

I think theoretically yes, it currently is perfectly okay. You do have to prove you were not planning to enter and stay illegally and just got caught doing it and still need to prove you are a genuine asylum seeker, but that is how the vast majority of asylum claims happen right now.

The point of the bill is to make it illegal.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I have some blue tits hanging out inside my balcony roof. I saw them this fall, checking out a way to get between the steel tiles gypsum or whatever makes up the bottom of the roof, so I helped them widen a hole by the pillar holding the roof up. It's kind of tricky to get up there - they kind of have to build up momentum in advance and approach with the correct vector, or they just bump their heads and fall back down again. I see them going in and out pretty much every day that I'm home, so apparently they've got a cozy thing going on in there

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lol "the uk's modern slavery system"

How did they sign off on that graphic

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

:ssh: it's called a "skills wallet"

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
christ

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
A piece on some unreadably ad covered site was saying the point of this fash shite was to do it knowing it wouldn't get through the courts, so it'd provide a handy opportunity to blame woke lefty lawyers and judges again.

TBH though, I think tories just get excited by the cruelty

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:sureboat:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

gee where have I seen all this poo poo before

So unimaginative they had to literally bring in Australian politicians from 2 decades ago to do their bidding. Hang them all.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Guavanaut posted:

If you come to the UK illegally, you can be a slave.

no you fool, it's the exact opposite - only people born here have the right to become slaves. british slavery for british people

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Didnt think we'd be making slavery legal again after Brexit but here we are

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Microplastics posted:

Make me an IK ill probe him on sight

based on their rap sheet giving them probes doesn’t seem to be much of a disincentive

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Microplastics posted:

Can't believe asylum seekers can't sign on to workfare etc.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
With the massive caveat that this is just a prediction based on some polling data (and the real election probably won't be this brutal), this is always hilarious to see:

https://twitter.com/PollingReportUK/status/1633187030711648257

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lt. Danger posted:

no you fool, it's the exact opposite - only people born here have the right to become slaves. british slavery for british people
Well that's not what the song said at all.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

"Britain never never never shall be saved"

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 7, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Til we have built Herzogenbusch in England's green and paltry lands."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nuclear and renewables powering (and heating with waste heat) extreme concentrated horticulture isn't the worst idea for weathering climate change, but that must be the most :pseudo: way of phrasing it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Nuclear and renewables powering (and heating with waste heat) extreme concentrated horticulture isn't the worst idea for weathering climate change, but that must be the most :pseudo: way of phrasing it.

"we must reduce solar power generation, and then use solar power to heat greenhouses"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

3 "never"s was definitely getting into " protesting too much" territory

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

DesperateDan posted:

you like badgers? deer? foxes? red wing thrushes?

you don't know what a red wing thrush looks like?

you like taking a few minutes away from the horror, the horror, the horror?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp3W9L1SRY

with the compliments of my animal comrades

Lovely stuff. Didn't you have a thread for your patch? That's not saying you shouldn't post about it in here (you should), but that I'd like to read that thread as well.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Greetings UKMT Friends,

I would be very grateful for your advice and thoughts on a personal conundrum.

Please forgive my selfishness, I realise that I am probably lucky to have this problem and that a lot of people are financially in the sh*t right now.

A few days ago I made an offer on a small freehold property that was very close to the stated guide price. The offer was accepted a couple of days ago probably because I offered too much and the couple currently living in this tiny house is expecting a little one and want to move. I am ok with that because the positives of this property outweigh the negatives, and I want a home.

I have an an agreement in principle for £250K with the a view of putting in £30K deposit. The offer which was accepted is less than £250K. I am scheduled to discuss a mortgage application with the bank on Thursday. What happens if the bank completes its own survey/valuation and they conclude that they can't give me the amount I need? I suspect this could mean a few things: my offer was too high, I am old, or there is something wrong with the property. I do not have a plan B, and now I am bricking in my pants. Should I cancel my meeting with the bank?

Grateful for your thoughts.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

bornbytheriver posted:

Greetings UKMT Friends,

I would be very grateful for your advice and thoughts on a personal conundrum.

Please forgive my selfishness, I realise that I am probably lucky to have this problem and that a lot of people are financially in the sh*t right now.

A few days ago I made an offer on a small freehold property that was very close to the stated guide price. The offer was accepted a couple of days ago probably because I offered too much and the couple currently living in this tiny house is expecting a little one and want to move. I am ok with that because the positives of this property outweigh the negatives, and I want a home.

I have an an agreement in principle for £250K with the a view of putting in £30K deposit. The offer which was accepted is less than £250K. I am scheduled to discuss a mortgage application with the bank on Thursday. What happens if the bank completes its own survey/valuation and they conclude that they can't give me the amount I need? I suspect this could mean a few things: my offer was too high, I am old, or there is something wrong with the property. I do not have a plan B, and now I am bricking in my pants. Should I cancel my meeting with the bank?

Grateful for your thoughts.

...has anything actually happened with the bank or is this just playing out in your head? It feels like there's some details missing here?

I don't see why the bank would withdraw the offer unless their valuation came out significantly below what they're lending you, but if they did you could always make a revised offer (which they might go for if they're actually significantly overvaluing their property since they're not likely to get much better) or try another bank. Things move slow as hell with house purchases and there's pretty much always bumps along the way, especially if there's a chain involved, this would just be one of them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The bank's valuation is likely just some algorithm checking on the size and location of the property, what similar houses in the area have sold for, etc. They're not sending anyone to physically inspect the house. It's not likely that the bank will suddenly do a 180 and refuse to lend what they told you in the agreement in principle unless you provided them wrong information at some point, like about your own income or something.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1633217268548259840

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SixFigureSandwich posted:

The bank's valuation is likely just some algorithm checking on the size and location of the property, what similar houses in the area have sold for, etc. They're not sending anyone to physically inspect the house. It's not likely that the bank will suddenly do a 180 and refuse to lend what they told you in the agreement in principle unless you provided them wrong information at some point, like about your own income or something.

In Ireland, they most definitely send a physical person to at least do a drive-by and take a picture. An algorithm can't tell the bank if the house has just burned down or someone drove a lorry into the living room window

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Noxville posted:

...has anything actually happened with the bank or is this just playing out in your head? It feels like there's some details missing here?

I don't see why the bank would withdraw the offer unless their valuation came out significantly below what they're lending you, but if they did you could always make a revised offer (which they might go for if they're actually significantly overvaluing their property since they're not likely to get much better) or try another bank. Things move slow as hell with house purchases and there's pretty much always bumps along the way, especially if there's a chain involved, this would just be one of them.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Nothing happened with the bank (Nationwide) for now anyway, it's in my head. When I was told by the estate agent that my offer has been accepted, I contacted Nationwide and they offered an appointment with a mortgage adviser to discuss mortgage. I said fine, the mortgage adviser contacted me and requested to provide some information: copy of payslip, buildings insurance (my word, I don't even health insurance, I can only dream of buildings insurance), solicitor's name, year the house was built. I think I can provide them with pretty much everything they asked for - I need to read up on buildings insurance - but then it hit me what if, after I provide them with everything they asked for, they look at the house and say we can't offer you the amount you need.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Julio Cruz posted:

based on their rap sheet

You must kill the cop inside your head.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean you have an AIP in place that says the amount they can lend to you. If you wanted less then that is a problem, but as you want the amount you have an agreement over then you, from what I can tell, should just get the money.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Skulker posted:

You must kill the cop inside your head.

I was curious as to if they had ever actually been a good poster

the answer was extremely conclusive

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SixFigureSandwich posted:

It's not likely that the bank will suddenly do a 180 and refuse to lend what they told you in the agreement in principle unless you provided them wrong information at some point, like about your own income or something.
lol years ago we had a multi-hour in-person discussion with HSBC to sort us a mortgage, with piles of documents and financial details etc. Got approved, hooray, go home to celebrate.

A day or two later they called up asked for my (I think) P45 which I didn’t have because I’d just got a job after finishing PhD and otherwise not having a job for many years. They ending up retracting the mortgage offer because I didn’t have a job the previous year (despite obviously knowing this was the case from us showing them our entire financial situation and them presumably understanding the nature of linear time vis-a-vis income and repayments)

TBH we may have been lucky in the end because from reading online it seems there’s lots of people who get burned by HSBC randomly changing their minds on mortgages, up to and including the day of completion.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bornbytheriver posted:

buildings insurance (my word, I don't even health insurance, I can only dream of buildings insurance)
You should arrange to have that from the moment you own the bricks and mortar, even if you don't want the contents insured.

It's insurance against you having to pay the bank for the rest of your life while still having to pay rent somewhere else if something bad happens to the whole structure of the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I mean you have an AIP in place that says the amount they can lend to you. If you wanted less then that is a problem, but as you want the amount you have an agreement over then you, from what I can tell, should just get the money.

No, sir/ma'am, I initially wanted to find a place for max £250K and was given an AIP. The place that I found and made an offer for was advertised for less than £250K.