Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Show's honestly kinda hosed if she dies. It's like, about her.

Yeah i know lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Open Source Idiom posted:

There was a lot of funky poo poo throughout though -- Fringe was a show that had an awful lot of network interference, often for the worse. They write in a character that was meant to replace the lead, but then decide they don't want to do that and just drop the character very early into Season Two.

I think she did okay, I heard she ended up becoming a Duchess.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah this mentality lasted a while even as more serialized forms took hold. I recall that the first season of Happy Endings and the entirety of Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23 both got hit by networks insisting they be aired out of order.

I remember this from Happy Endings because a bunch of early episodes had Dave working in a food truck, then near the end of the season an entire episode about him quitting his office job to buy a food truck lol

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

mcmagic posted:

Why is Charlie immortal in Poker Face? It makes it way less interesting........

Ehh for what it's worth cold is really good for keeping people alive when they should be dead. General rule is you aren't dead until you are warm and dead

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

veni veni veni posted:

The Chris Rock thing was allright, but the dude is clearly way past his prime. He hosed up his finale joke and had to backpedal and repeat half of it. Lots of repeating stuff throughout the whole thing tbh. Also content wise, it's just what you'd expect out of a grumpy dude in his late 50's.

I noticed they hosed up his intro, the announcer had to say 'Ladies and gentlemen!' twice, and you could see Chris just start to go onstage and then backtrack. I wonder how much getting off on the wrong foot like that can mess you up for the whole set. He did do the repeating the same line thing a lot, which I think has always been a part of his act. Not sure if he uses that as a way to stall so he can remember the next bit, or if he just uses it to milk a few more laughs through repetition.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is there anyone who gives a poo poo that a Chris Rock comedy special is live instead of prerecorded?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone who gives a poo poo that a Chris Rock comedy special is live instead of prerecorded?

As a gimmick it made the show worse, but I bet Chris' points were higher.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I love live productions. I know that laugh track sitcoms always involved a significant bit of fakery, but I love the way older shows will have bits where one person in the audience starts chuckling ahead of everyone else, or will have a completely separate reaction to the rest of the group, or where you'll see actors work with/against the crowd rather than just simulate the effect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They kind of got me with it, but mostly cause I didn’t have anything else going on last night. It was a fun gimmick but felt sloppy compared to pre recorded specials so it doesn’t seem like a great idea.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I am a classical music listener and liked Tar but also just watched it over 3 days and after reading the reviews/easter eggs.
She is definitely dreaming/imagining the last third or is she?
It definitely had some Black Swan stuff going on too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

I am a classical music listener and liked Tar but also just watched it over 3 days and after reading the reviews/easter eggs.
It definitely had some Black Swan stuff going on too.

I've tried to watch it twice and haven't made it more than 20 mins each time and i typically have a pretty long attention span lol

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

Only if she already knows a lot about Monster Hunter World.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

what? no. what?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMajXwi6Cs

The trailer for Apple's Silo is finally here. I was a big fan of the book series, and a screen adaptation has long been in the works. Ridley Scott was originally going to make a movie way back in the day, but that fell through due to Fox being bought by Disney. AMC was going to make a tv show, which was eventually picked up by Apple.

I'm excited.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hope they don’t gently caress it up.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMajXwi6Cs

The trailer for Apple's Silo is finally here. I was a big fan of the book series, and a screen adaptation has long been in the works. Ridley Scott was originally going to make a movie way back in the day, but that fell through due to Fox being bought by Disney. AMC was going to make a tv show, which was eventually picked up by Apple.

I'm excited.

Any milk snake mamas?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wolfsheim posted:

I remember this from Happy Endings because a bunch of early episodes had Dave working in a food truck, then near the end of the season an entire episode about him quitting his office job to buy a food truck lol

I think I remember cutting the episodes was actually the right call by the network? The cut episodes were predominantly about stale sitcom post breakup story lines. "On no! It's like a divorce! Who gets custody of our friends!" poo poo like that, the network went straight to the episode where they become friends again and everyone starts hanging out with chemistry that made the show.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wolfsheim posted:

what? no. what?

Yeah, that's a pretty common reading for some reason all over the internet, no idea why, don't think it's supported at all. It reeks of "actually the Rugrats are all dead and imaginations of Angelica" creepypasta.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

We finally got around to watching Andor, and it was really good! Not only is it far and away the best Star Wars show, it's a legit great show. You could strip away all the sci-fi dressing and it would still be a compelling story.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Andor benefits from the Star Wars involvement purely because they can skip a bunch of otherwise necessary setup regarding the circumstances and the stakes and move straight to the unique part of the story.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Andor is fantastic.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

pseudorandom name posted:

Andor benefits from the Star Wars involvement purely because they can skip a bunch of otherwise necessary setup regarding the circumstances and the stakes and move straight to the unique part of the story.

Pretty astounding that anyone could take that awful setting and turn it into a story telling advantage. Very excited for season two and even more excited for whatever Tony Gilroy makes next.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:rolleyes:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

They're not too far off the mark. I think Rogue One is a giant turd and I was impressed Gilroy was able to spin that poo poo into gold.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Pretty astounding that anyone could take that awful setting and turn it into a story telling advantage. Very excited for season two and even more excited for whatever Tony Gilroy makes next.

they hated him for he was right

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Have caught up with Taboo and unsure whether it's good or so-bad-it's-good:

* Tom Hardy stalks around getting into fights and scowling at people, threatening them in a strange accent
* Every character being super intense or horny or both
* Every faction somehow having access to secret knowledge so that there's a continuous stream of "How do you know that?" "I have my sources"
* Scenes full of poo poo and mud
* And so many people and factions scheming and plotting against each other

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nonathlon posted:

* Tom Hardy stalks around getting into fights and scowling at people, threatening them in a strange accent
* Every faction somehow having access to secret knowledge so that there's a continuous stream of "How do you know that?" "I have my sources"

And then everyone dies at the end.

I suspect it was a bad show, because I wasn't super entertained a lot of the time, and the ultimate destination wasn't a strong one, but it was a mood so I unno.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Totally agreed! I think what made it so strong is something I've been praying for ever since prestige nerd TV became more common: Stop treating a season like a long movie and go through multiple story lines throughout.

The show had 3 1/2ish good-to-great distinctive plot lines it went through one after the other while connecting them emotionally. It solves the problem of shows that stack too many plots and characters on top of each other. It solves the problem of having to stretch out a plot so much that it becomes too thin (leading to the dreaded "filler episode"). It lets characters have arcs throughout and lets our main character react and grow over time and not just having 11 episodes where stuff happens and then a 12th where all the character development takes place.

I really, truly, loved it without ever expecting to.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 8, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Also worth noting that season 2 is supposed to be the end - nice contained show without contrivances to keep going. If S2 of Andor lives up to the first then it’ll be a really solid series.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

You could strip away all the sci-fi dressing and it would still be a compelling story.

I wish I could live in a world where this was the bare minimum.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pigma_Micron posted:

It solves the problem of shows that stack too many plots and characters on top of each other.

The characters one drives me insane. The "well we have to give this actor something to do this season" mentality on the parts of studios and showrunners really drags on good storytelling.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

nonathlon posted:

I think it's great. Someone in here compared it to a Victorian Batman and that made it even better for me.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I wonder if the second season of Taboo will ever happen. They keep promising it will but it's been 6 years at this point

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

They're not too far off the mark. I think Rogue One is a giant turd and I was impressed Gilroy was able to spin that poo poo into gold.

People who hate Rogue One (a bad opinion) and like Andor (a good opinion) are weirdos but I have heard it more times than I would expect...

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

nonathlon posted:

It started good but it went nowhere

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

People who hate Rogue One (a bad opinion) and like Andor (a good opinion) are weirdos but I have heard it more times than I would expect...

I have two buddies who both think Rogue One is the worst of all the Disney era Star Wars media and absolutely refuse to watch Andor because of it.

Just absolutely baffling poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's fine to not like a star wars movie

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How dare you. Disney paid a lot of money for that crap!!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
IMO History of the World Part 2 is corny sketch comedy, sometimes pretty great, other times falls pretty flat. Kind of College Humor-level. Don't expect it to be as uproarious as you remember your favorite Mel Brooks thing you loved as a kid, but it'll probably make you laugh a little if you're in the mood for something goofy. Only half of the episodes have been released so I guess there's still time for a legendary bit but doubtful.

If you already like Ike Barinholtz and Nick Kroll it'll help a lot, if you hate them then well, you probably won't like the show. Mel only appears briefly in intros but looks better than I expected for someone who is almost 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have two buddies who both think Rogue One is the worst of all the Disney era Star Wars media and absolutely refuse to watch Andor because of it.

Just absolutely baffling poo poo.

they're right