Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

.Z. posted:

Kickstarter for this is up for anyone interested.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subminimal/nanofoamer-pro

Dang, $100 for today only is splurge territory for me. Backed it, I'll report when it comes in, and compare to my experience with the Ninja.

Their swirl control side thing matches my experience with the nanofoamer v1 - sometimes the milk wanted to stretch more when I just wanted to texture, so I'd put a spoon in there to disrupt the vortex.

At the very least this can be a "don't need art, just want something fast" hack, but hopefully it lives up to the videos they put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

.Z. posted:

I’m kinda disappointed on what I saw in the videos.

It looks like they’re making the foam, the transferring it to a separate frothing pitcher to pour latte art.

I haven’t read through the FAQ yet so maybe they tried to make it “all in one”, but seems like a pain to pour from the frother to a separate pitcher if you want to try latte art.

Right now, the main benefit this has is it skips the microwave and let’s me do other stuff instead of dealing with holding the nanofoamer just right.

I dunno, I might pull the trigger in a bit to get today’s special.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

nwin posted:

It looks like they’re making the foam, the transferring it to a separate frothing pitcher to pour latte art.

I haven’t read through the FAQ yet so maybe they tried to make it “all in one”, but seems like a pain to pour from the frother to a separate pitcher if you want to try latte art.

Right now, the main benefit this has is it skips the microwave and let’s me do other stuff instead of dealing with holding the nanofoamer just right.

Same boat and I also pulled the trigger

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

nwin posted:

The really serious latte art tutorials, which use normal steam wands, mention pouring from your original pitcher to a second. Morgan says this helps combine the layers of foam a bit, and lets you change to a larger pitcher to control the speed of the pour.

That's what's happening here, I'm pretty sure. For me, I already have one that can go straight to the dishwasher so not a big deal. Then again I also just enjoy extra steps :v:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nwin posted:

It is all in one. Designed to pour from the foamer itself, but if you want “super detailed latte art” you can transfer it to a smaller jug to be more precise.

I’m tempted for my wife. I might just do it.

Edit: gently caress it did it

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 7, 2023

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Its pretty fancy, but it could have a 4 ounce minimum volume and not having a pouring spout on the pitcher sucks.

I've used this AEVO automatic frother pretty much every day for the last two years. It does a good job even if I only want a couple ounces of milk for a cortado, has a pouring spout, and also currently exists. Not too bad for $60.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

BrianBoitano posted:

As everyone assumed, there's a lot wrong with the "pods are better for the environment than drip coffee!" study that made headlines a bit ago

https://youtu.be/i8B8wDsORz4

I'm sure there have been other critiques but I'm glad Hoffmann is getting the message out. He's a great communicator.

Eagerly awaiting the Hames Joffman screencaps from this video

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

.Z. posted:

I, too, backed one of these, mainly so I can get my milk going while I do my espresso shot. I may even be able to talk my partner into making her daily drink.

Bandire posted:

Its pretty fancy, but it could have a 4 ounce minimum volume and not having a pouring spout on the pitcher sucks.

I've used this AEVO automatic frother pretty much every day for the last two years. It does a good job even if I only want a couple ounces of milk for a cortado, has a pouring spout, and also currently exists. Not too bad for $60.

This looks great, too, and you wouldn't have to wait until September to get it.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 7, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It is all in one. Designed to pour from the foamer itself, but if you want “super detailed latte art” you can transfer it to a smaller jug to be more precise.

I’m tempted for my wife. I might just do it.

Edit: gently caress it did it

Yeah if I’m being honest myself, I just kinda shake my pitcher around anyways in a half-assed attempt at a rosette and then drink it anyways.

gently caress it. I’m in for one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm just waiting for the backlash to latte art so we can get over it already. I just want a tasty and luxurious texture and don't care about a tulip shaped thing on my drink.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Go to any café for that, not a weirdo thread on the weirdo forum

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bandire posted:

The small minimum volume is what has been keeping me from buying something. I may just grab this one because it is exceptionally rare for me to need more than 6oz in 5 minutes, and that's usually 2-4oz at the most.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Milk frothing, even with normal amounts, is so wasteful. If I have time to wait, I'll offer a "leftovers cortado". Wait around my friend's café until someone orders a latte. Instead of tossing the last 2 oz of milk after the latte is poured, I get a cortado. Still hurts to see so much go down the drain when it's busy though :negative:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any recommendations for a drip coffee that would taste similar to this:

https://happymugcoffee.com/products/bigfoot-espresso

I currently use the above coffee to make americanos and my wife likes those with a splash of milk, but I’d like something similar I could brew in my moccamaster.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nwin posted:

Any recommendations for a drip coffee that would taste similar to this:

https://happymugcoffee.com/products/bigfoot-espresso

I currently use the above coffee to make americanos and my wife likes those with a splash of milk, but I’d like something similar I could brew in my moccamaster.

what's stopping you from just brewing that in your drip machine?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

eke out posted:

what's stopping you from just brewing that in your drip machine?

Absolutely nothing…lol good point.

Think I’d lose some of the body brewing it in the drip though? Though I suppose an americano waters it down anyways.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nwin posted:

Think I’d lose some of the body brewing it in the drip though? Though I suppose an americano waters it down anyways.

I think it'd probably work fine -- at least, I've bought that coffee before and brewed it in an aeropress out of curiosity. Won't be exactly the same but I bet it tastes more like itself than other coffees!

I think that it's like a wet-hulled indonesian + a natural ethiopian + a central american or something relatively neutral. But really hard to guess how people do their blends.

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 9, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

nwin posted:

if you want a bit more body in a drip coffee, and don’t mind trading some clarity, use a metal filter

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Goddamit my Bonavita 1900 has messed up after 8 years of service. I don't want to toss it but no one will work on appliances this small in my area. I wonder if coffee supplier shops would also do repairs.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Messed up how?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Gets power, light blinks, but no water flow. Partially disassembled and cleaned the water flow tubes per a guide I found online. Didn't look like there was too much scaling in there but problem still persists.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

.Z. posted:

There are about a hundred of these things on the market. This looks pretty much the same. My wife has a miroco brand one. Works fine. Fyi these don’t break down milk in the same way as milk steamers. They’ll produce plenty of froth for latte art, though.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Springfield Fatts posted:

Gets power, light blinks, but no water flow. Partially disassembled and cleaned the water flow tubes per a guide I found online. Didn't look like there was too much scaling in there but problem still persists.
If it's not heating it probably tripped one (or more) of the thermal fuses. They're usually clamped right onto the boiler/heating element, and should look like a wire with a shroud over it. I can't find a diagram or picture of the internals but if you post a picture I can point out the parts to test. Assuming you have a voltmeter.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So I got my ebay Bellman today, managed to make a flat white and a cappuccino, both were delicious! Too bad I was aiming for lattes both times :v:

Then found a useful thread on Home-Barista.com with 9 pages of "hey try this method" "oh hey it works!" Posts so I think I know what to try tomorrow!

The learning curve is steep but I'm enjoying it. I'll post a video of Flair + Bellman full workflow once I nail it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

DF64 newbie here. I adjusted the grind size marker so that the burrs touch at a setting of -5. Not only is there no contact at 50, the machine hums normally when turned on at the setting without beans. I add beans, get a grinding sound, but also a super high pitch sound that does not disappear once the coffee has been ground. Setting the grind size to ~0 and then going back to a larger size resolves this. Is this normal? I didn't see any foreign particles when I inspected the insides.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
aaaaand that’s why i don’t feel comfortable recommending the df64

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I'll send a couple of kg of cheap beans through it, as some recommend and reach out to the vendor if the sound remains.

On the plus side, the consistency of the grind looks excellent.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sweeper posted:

Anyone have a coffee subscription they like for espresso, light roast single origin preferably? I’ve been using trade, but they’ve started sending me 10oz bags periodically without telling me which messes up the number of days I have per bag. Doesn’t make sense for a subscription service to have inconsistent quantity. I use the same amount of coffee every day, stop messing with me! Tired of it so I’m canceling.

I’ve been really happy with Trade Coffee.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Then found a useful thread on Home-Barista.com with 9 pages of "hey try this method" "oh hey it works!" Posts so I think I know what to try tomorrow!

14 minutes for a Flair + Bellman cappuccino. Still aiming for a piccolo latte, I think there's still air in the bellman. Either need to purge longer or ignore the stretching phase, as some do. Will try again soon, but I'm happy with sub 15 all said and done, I can fit that in my day.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

DF64 newbie here. I adjusted the grind size marker so that the burrs touch at a setting of -5. Not only is there no contact at 50, the machine hums normally when turned on at the setting without beans. I add beans, get a grinding sound, but also a super high pitch sound that does not disappear once the coffee has been ground. Setting the grind size to ~0 and then going back to a larger size resolves this. Is this normal? I didn't see any foreign particles when I inspected the insides.

Sending three cheap bags of beans through it did nothing, so I cleaned it out super thoroughly and it's much quieter now. Perhaps I installed the top part in a nonideal orientation when I first received it and I accidentally fixed it after my thorough clean? Now I just need that stupid bottomless portafilter to arrive.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Had a really rough shift at work and forgot to turn my scale on under my espresso when I was pulling the shot. Decided to just go bigger than normal based off the glass size and how big a normal shot ends up being and ... it's actually so good it's way sweeter than the 18g in/40g out I've been doing. What the heck.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Single origin?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Single origin?

Yeah it's this.

"Perfect at 10 single origin Arabica coffees. A luscious medium body, sweet and soft, with dried fruit, flowers and evocative spice in the nose."

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah it's this.

"Perfect at 10 single origin Arabica coffees. A luscious medium body, sweet and soft, with dried fruit, flowers and evocative spice in the nose."

I tend to personally prefer closer to 1:3 on more light/medium roasts, especially stuff that’s fruit forward.

I usually go 19g in 50-55g out.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I heard the espresso machine start up yesterday morning and then 30 seconds later followed by lots of laughing. My wife had pulled a shot and forgot to put a mug down.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've had beans fly all over the kitchen floor because I forgot to take the grinder hopper cover off before dumping the beans in there. This happened several times now because I'm not a morning person.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I know many spro heads who do Mr. Coffee first thing in the morning so they have enough wherewithal to make the good stuff

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Mu Zeta posted:

I've had beans fly all over the kitchen floor because I forgot to take the grinder hopper cover off before dumping the beans in there. This happened several times now because I'm not a morning person.

I've done this enough times that I've taken to putting bright orange high visibility stickers on my hopper lids.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you a P64 person? I can't remember. If you are: What are you using for a hopper cover? I was thinking of sticking something in the hole when it's not in use to stop dust from getting into the grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No I just have a Baratza