Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mechayahiko posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown on weapons having different deflect windows?

Pretty sure its the same for all weapons. Its just the spirit gauge values are different (how much you lose spirit per deflect)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Calidus posted:

I started playing around with fire + metal and you can just explode stuff with combos of poison nuke + amplify damage + overpower burst + fire nuke of your choice.

What poison spell are you using? I've noticed some of them have some difficulty actually poisoning things, especially bosses.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

Pretty sure its the same for all weapons. Its just the spirit gauge values are different (how much you lose spirit per deflect)

yeah, "deflect difficulty" is just the confusing name for "how much spirit you lose when deflecting"

100% is the base value; anything below that means you lose spirit when deflecting, and anything above that means you gain spirit when deflecting

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vermain posted:

yeah, "deflect difficulty" is just the confusing name for "how much spirit you lose when deflecting"

100% is the base value; anything below that means you lose spirit when deflecting, and anything above that means you gain spirit when deflecting

You always lose spirit when you unsuccessfully deflect and gain it when you deflect something. The % is confusing, not sure why they don’t just use a static number

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

You always lose spirit when you unsuccessfully deflect and gain it when you deflect something.

the former is a different number called "spirit defense", which is what determines how much spirit you lose when you get attacked with no guard/deflect, and then how much you lose/gain when you successfully deflect is determined by deflect difficulty

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vermain posted:

the former is a different number called "spirit defense", which is what determines how much spirit you lose when you get attacked with no guard/deflect, and then how much you lose/gain when you successfully deflect is determined by deflect difficulty

No, there is a cost for deflecting nothing, it's what the Water stat reduces, vs the Earth stat increasing how much you gain when deflecting something(and iirc is what deflect difficulty modifies). Both of which are separate from the spirit defence which is how much you lose when you don't deflect and is buffed by Wood.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hel posted:

No, there is a cost for deflecting nothing, it's what the Water stat reduces, vs the Earth stat increasing how much you gain when deflecting something(and iirc is what deflect difficulty modifies). Both of which are separate from the spirit defence which is how much you lose when you don't deflect and is buffed by Wood.

ahhh, that makes sense, thank you, i thought the base deflect cost was just a fixed rate for some reason

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does lower spirit cost for deflecting not actually do anything for you if you deflect successfully? is a high water stat the same as a low one on a successful deflect?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Does lower spirit cost for deflecting not actually do anything for you if you deflect successfully? is a high water stat the same as a low one on a successful deflect?

Yeah theoretically if you play perfectly then Spirit defense and lower deflect spirit cost would be useless

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

gently caress Aoye I cant even tell what this stupid piece of garbage is doing half the time

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aoye is a real fucker. Make sure your morale rating is at least equal to his. If you didn't get all the flags in the area before go do some exploring and get all those flags. I have no idea if it's really what allowed me to beat him or not but had so much trouble with him the first time then coming back to it a day later I grabbed the 2 flags I missed earlier in the level which brought my morale up two levels from what it was and I beat him the first try. I also picked up a few more in the process so I might've had 2-3 levels more than him. It really does make a huge difference if you go in with lower morale than the boss.

I really never did figure out the timing on his long lunging unblockable attack he does. That thing caught me by surprise every drat time.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Thumbtacks posted:

What poison spell are you using? I've noticed some of them have some difficulty actually poisoning things, especially bosses.

I was playing around with 40 point nuke that spawns pools. I only tried out on few end game side missions so nothing very hard.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Also chuck some Earth spells at Aoye. It'll building up Heaviness instantly and gives your NPC's lightning spells a greater chance of getting shock off. Then you throw toxin on then fire and back to ice for the supreme tapdance on its stupid head.

I just fought one near endgame that had higher morale then me and the arena was a bloodbath of flags.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Beat the game last night, was a good time. End game feels pretty sparse, but that's how Nioh 1 and 2 were when they first launched.

I really enjoy how the human enemies all have weapons the player can use AND use the same move-sets as the player, so if you practice with a weapon you naturally pick up on the animations and can parry easier.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Do your secondary melee / ranged weapon's stats apply even when you're not wielding them? I mean the "+ spirit attack spirit damage" modifiers etc.

Never played any of the Nioh games, the bosses in this seem like a lot of fun but holy hell does the game seem to fall apart when you have multiple of the later enemies attacking you at once (assassins especially). Seems like they all just non-stop spam attacks, so the best case scenario is that your companion can distract one for a moment so you can get a couple of attacks off before he dies. If not, you just have a ton of guys spamming and spamming endlessly until you die, and god help you if you try to attack yourself.

I also wish you could turn off particle effects etc. I've died a ton of times because I just can't see what's happening at all; the screen is just a blur of effects, especially with your target jumping all over the place so the camera is stuck doing 360 spins too. The PC port being a hot mess doesn't help much either.

Carmant posted:

gently caress Aoye I cant even tell what this stupid piece of garbage is doing half the time

Also this. At times I had zero idea what was happening because the only thing on my screen was a mess of hair and random effects (if I remember right Aoye was the hairy tentacle... thing?). Trying to steer clear of the walls so the camera doesn't get stuck in there helped, but still pretty baffling design.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 8, 2023

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I am playing this game, and I am really bad at parrying attacks. And I am having a lot of nioh-shaped fun from cheesing boss fights.

Sometimes It surprise me when I meet a boss I trough would be hard, and I do it first try. Not having a second phase on most boss, mean you can just dps-race them.

I am on Lu Bu first fight, and on my first try I got him to half is health bar. This with two npc companions and some abuse of martial arts. I am spaming a martial art that is like uppercut punch that send my character fling ....good thing about this one is while I am flying, nothing can hit me, so is somewhat like a spamable martial art with "iframes" (since I can't be hit while flying).

I am also having a lot of fun joining people games, since the game is like a sugar addicted version of nioh 2, combat can be hilarious if people play poorly and agro more mobs on a combat. It also helps with leveling and mats, I guess.. but with my armor I rarely die on a single hit or mistake, more like multiple mistakes.

who is feeding the tiggers with anabolic steroids?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dropbear posted:

Do your secondary melee / ranged weapon's stats apply even when you're not wielding them? I mean the "+ spirit attack spirit damage" modifiers etc.

No

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

I wonder how this will interact with the magatama, since it can roll on weapons too. you don't get your set bonus unless you're using the sword, i guess, which is dumb

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I just beat the last boss. I am pretty happy with that encounter. It’s just hard enough, it took be between 6 and 12 attempts and once you learn it, it feels really cool.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dropbear posted:

Set bonuses yes, everything else no

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
boy, that three-on-one encounter is every bit as unpleasant as advertised

this game gives me a deeper appreciation for sekiro. the glut of stats and character customization means that the encounter design vacillates from sort of dull to downright infuriating

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I haven't had a lot of time to play, so I just got to part 4, and it seems like the kid gloves are well and truly off at this point. Just trying to get to the second rest flag has been rough. It doesn't help that I'm having real bad slowdown and frame drops even on performance mode. Up to three guys using critical blows in the middle of my attack strings is real frustrating when I can't reliably time the deflects.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oxxidation posted:

boy, that three-on-one encounter is every bit as unpleasant as advertised

this game gives me a deeper appreciation for sekiro. the glut of stats and character customization means that the encounter design vacillates from sort of dull to downright infuriating

Yeah proper action games are always going to be better than RPGs for this reason. Team Ninja do an ok job with it, but I wouldn't mind them making something with less fewer systems eventually.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Lu Bu was fun as hell. I managed to deflect almost all of his attacks and it still took me a few tries. Got him under 10% on my first go but couldn’t finish him

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

Aoye is a real fucker. Make sure your morale rating is at least equal to his. If you didn't get all the flags in the area before go do some exploring and get all those flags. I have no idea if it's really what allowed me to beat him or not but had so much trouble with him the first time then coming back to it a day later I grabbed the 2 flags I missed earlier in the level which brought my morale up two levels from what it was and I beat him the first try. I also picked up a few more in the process so I might've had 2-3 levels more than him. It really does make a huge difference if you go in with lower morale than the boss.

I really never did figure out the timing on his long lunging unblockable attack he does. That thing caught me by surprise every drat time.

I am wary on responding to summons from the Aoye stage. There are a LOT of people who didn't bother finding all the battle/marker flags so we go in with like 10 morale. *proceeds to get one shot by Aoye*

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Beat the game. This game kicks rear end. I need more.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Currently jumping around this shantytown in level 4(?), the one with the explody rats. Normally platforming is, heh something awful in these games, but I'm actually having a good time sprint-jumping across big gaps to reach flags and items.

Bloodly posted:

If you're balanced, you get a bonus. The more of your stats are balanced, more bonuses.

:actually: I read that as: Based on how many Virtues you have that meet that condition, 3, 4 or all 5, you will get one of three bonuses. Guess it could go either way... now my head hurts.

e:

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't have a proper build yet, but I'm using the one where it throws out an AOE of poison on the ground in front of you. Seems like that usually keeps things in the area long enough to proc.

Also just discovered you can punch up and kick down while on ladders :getin:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 8, 2023

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

A Bystander posted:

Beat the game. This game kicks rear end. I need more.

Same. It's pretty cool that you can switch to NG+ and back instead of having it overwrite your existing save, like most games do.

Anyone figure out what the deal is with that person sitting on a pillar behind the key lady's house?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've played through the capital mission after lu bu on both a multiplayer character and a singleplayer character and unless it takes a complete nosedive before the end, I think this is one of the best action games I've ever played. and this is even on the Not Good PC port. Such a refreshing game after wild hearts was a total disappointment.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone try invading? Doesn’t seem like the combat would work super well against another player, and with internet lag too.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

RatHat posted:

Anyone try invading? Doesn’t seem like the combat would work super well against another player, and with internet lag too.

It works really nicely actually ,it's pretty much the same as invading NPCs just a bit more unpredictable. Lag didn't seem that bad, actually, not sure if they're using rollback or something but it was generally pretty okay.

Feels much better than the shitfest that Nioh pvp was, parries REALLY make a difference.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

been speccing all my points into metal and earth and running around with a big poleaxe so i can split nerds in half and i gotta say, this is working surprisingly well. very much enjoying the game and i'm now at the capitol mission to kill the corrupted eunuch after beating aoye(?) up on the mountain and have beaten the sub-boss of this level.

a friend of mine is wary that i haven't put any points into wood, but, i seem to be doing okay!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

don't need no wood, just don't get hit

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

You also get damage reduction from being able to wear heavier armor so it shouldn't matter that much.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Ruffians!

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1633331745230671873?s=20

Do you have to do something to opt-in to invasions? This is the time I've seen the mechanic used but with an NPC.

Johnny Joestar posted:

a friend of mine is wary that i haven't put any points into wood, but, i seem to be doing okay!

In parry heavy games like this and Sekiro it feels like your gear and stats are less important than just mechanically getting gud. Sure high HP would help you tank more hits, but you shouldn't be getting hit a lot anyway. Higher DPS is better obviously, but most of your damage is probably coming from countering and criticals anyway so it's not a night-and-day change most of the time. In the video above I'm using a pair of dual swords that are significantly weaker than my other gear, but I like the long rear end 12-hit standard combo they have that lets me just hammer on people's guards until they break.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I wish I could hug one of those cute panda demons in this

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

RatHat posted:

I'd pass on PC because of the ancillary hassle surrounding invading. It's enjoyable when it works out, but the experience surrounding the actual invasions is just so... tedious. Invasions happen at specific points, and if you have a bad connection, you can get lots of teleporting around (presumably the host also experiences you doing this) that makes it nigh-impossible to connect with anything... assuming you can connect at all, which is by no means guaranteed! This also applies to you to some extent, but less favorably. The menu will randomly decide to show you some potential invasion targets, or might fail to find anyone right after your last failed connection. When you pick someone to invade, most of the time you'll get hit with one of a variety of errors, mostly a failed to connect or lobby is full message - some in-game, some through an Xbox app popup. Sometimes when receiving an error message, the game will irretrievably minimize itself, forcing you to force close it and relaunch the game from scratch.

Honestly, for every 30s of actual gameplay in invasions I easily spent 5m either in menus trying to connect or loading in/out from the invader's session. Once you actually get in, odds are very good that the person you invaded is someone specifically trying to farm invaders, hanging out near the invasion point with two co-op buddies. It is possible to be immediately attacked from multiple directions the moment you spawn in, so be prepared to immediately dodge away.

You can see the framework of what it ought to be there, and when it works out, it's kind of rad, but it's so frustrating just constantly rolling the dice on getting an invasion to even happen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Babe Magnet posted:

don't need no wood, just don't get hit

Wood makes stick hit harder and lightning, so it's ok with me. Also good for blue agility.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Takes No Damage posted:

In parry heavy games like this and Sekiro it feels like your gear and stats are less important than just mechanically getting gud. Sure high HP would help you tank more hits, but you shouldn't be getting hit a lot anyway.
This is where I think they made a really good decision with the Earth stat, because it's the stat that makes parries better but also the one that lets you have heavier gear that lets you gently caress up more often. So by saying "I want to be better at parrying" it also enables you to learn parrying easier since it gives you more chances to try without dieing.

So it's not a trade-off between good player/ bad player because bad players gets some training wheels for free when they want to focus on that playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Wood and Earth is my current favorite. Nice easy to use weapons, more HP and you have more weight to play dress up.