Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
they hosed up 18 rolls of e6 at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Oooooof.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

they hosed up 18 rolls of e6 at once

Yeah, ok, that would erode any confidence.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Lab has hosed up a few of my rolls too I think because when I get the film back the photos are bad

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Ugh, always reread instructions no matter how “familiar” you are with a product you used to use “all the time” over a decade ago.

Been getting super thin negatives these old expired rolls I shot in 2004 and chalked it up to time. Nope. It’s me rinsing between A and B Diafine steps. :confuoot:

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

I suppose I'll have to develop these rolls of Velvia 100 myself. None of the half-dozen Canadian labs I contacted would ship to the US, and DS Colour Labs in the UK -- which I had high hopes for because its order form actually listed the US as a possible country to ship to -- finally got back to me to say they also won't ship developed Velvia 100 here.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Here's what happens when you rinse between Diafine steps:

Interpol @ 40 Watt Club, Athens GA, 2004 - Kodak TMZ P3200 shot at 800

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Does anyone have any recommendations for home film scanners that don't suck? Would be using it for 35mm and 120.

I have a Fuji XT3 I could use for DSLR scanning, but that still just sounds really clunky to me, especially if stitching images together.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Your best option is the Epson V850 + the Lomo Digitaliza holder for 120. The V850 holders suck with their ANR plastic which attracts dust so you rip the plastic out of the 35mm holders and get the Digitaliza for 120

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Megabound posted:

Your best option is the Epson V850 + the Lomo Digitaliza holder for 120. The V850 holders suck with their ANR plastic which attracts dust so you rip the plastic out of the 35mm holders and get the Digitaliza for 120

What about betterscanning? Their holders are great.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ziggy Smalls posted:

My 120 holder from Betterscanning is kinda meh.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I think most people don’t suggest that guy since he’s been incredibly hard to get in contact with lately.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ziggy Smalls posted:

They are, but he never responded to my 2 purchase requests so I went with what was available

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I use a Plustek Opticfilm 8200i for 35mm, and i'm very happy with it. Handles dense negatives well. Doesn't manage its claimed 7200dpi resolution, the difference between 3600 and 7200 is small.
So far i've been camera-scanning 120 format pictures because the Plustek doesn't handle those.

I've tried two different flatbed scanners (consumer level) but i wasn't too happy with those. Very clunky, film not exactly straight in the holder, bad dynamic range etc etc.
Never tried the more professional oriented >200 euro scanners.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for home film scanners that don't suck? Would be using it for 35mm and 120.

I have a Fuji XT3 I could use for DSLR scanning, but that still just sounds really clunky to me, especially if stitching images together.

I am relatively happy with my Epson V850. Dust is an annoyance, and digital ICE can remove most of it, but it won't work on all film types. I am told that wet mounting would improve things further but I never tried it. By far the most annoying thing about scanning is the software, Silverfast in my case. It's relatively easy for b/w and slides, but color inversion (negafix) requires many little tricks to get it right, and I have struggled with it in the past.

I have toyed with the idea of another scanner, but the next step up would put me in $5k territory (refurbished Creo IQ3) and I don't think it is worth it for the 120 scans I do.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

scanning 35mm on a flatbed gave me bad results. i use the plustek as well and it's been great, it's very easy to use.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
How's the speed on the Plustek? I've been using v850 + silverfast for free at my library but would like to get something to use at home. Reviews make it sound pretty slow but the price and size are pretty good.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Havana Affair posted:

How's the speed on the Plustek? I've been using v850 + silverfast for free at my library but would like to get something to use at home. Reviews make it sound pretty slow but the price and size are pretty good.

Between loading, pre-scanning, and scanning, I take about an hour to scan 36 negatives with Silverfast and a Plustek. I don’t really use any of Silverfast’s features at the moment, just a clean scan, and I convert in Lightroom Classic with Negative Lab Pro. The longest part of the process is switching out strips of film. My lab cuts into strips of 4; if they did strips of 6, it’d be considerably faster.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

36 per hour is possible, but only barely, if you're scanning at 3600dpi. It is not fast, things get even slower if you use the (pretty good) infrared dust/scratch remover, and dreadfully slow if you do the multiple exposure thing. I do think it's worth archiving everything at the highest possible quality, which realistically is 3600dpi even though it has a 7200 setting.
I haven't yet found much benefit in the multiple exposure, up to the point of wondering if it's doing anything at all.
If you do some basic manual color correction per frame, and occasionally have to use the infrared or software dust reduction, an average of 5 minutes per frame is a good estimate. Just scanning to a 16 bit per color RAW file is a lot quicker of course, and allows you to batch edit the whole strip in Lightroom or whatever.

I don't mind the fairly slow speed. I just do what i normally do on an evening of browsing, while the scanner is quietly humming away, occasionally prompting me to do a few adjustments to a picture and advancing the film holder a click.

One important benefit of the Plustek is that it's really not dust sensitive. It's been sitting without a cover in my dad's bedroom for a month with dust covering the outside, but there's not a trace of dust ingress into the optics of the scanner.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Brought an Olympus Om10 and some black and white film on a Nordic roadtrip last summer. A good chunk of the resulting photos were very bad and jittery because I was trying to shoot in some place far too dark and I forgot to bring a flash but some turned out pretty nice:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been happy with the results of 35mm on my V850. My V600 was atrocious for it tho. If you're primarily scanning 35mm however the Plustek is the way to go.

35 off the V850

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

VoodooXT posted:

I think most people don’t suggest that guy since he’s been incredibly hard to get in contact with lately.

This was my experience, yes. I eventually gave up.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Olympus Trip

Kodak Tri-X 400 (30 years past expiration date, dev'd in Rodinal)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you eat expired film do you get sick?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you eat expired film do you get sick?

I wouldn't know, I've only smoked it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

theHUNGERian posted:

I wouldn't know, I've only smoked it.

This would’ve been a real blast back in the day.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Trip always surprises me with how well it renders. It shouldn't tho, they used quality glass for their entire Pen range and it was based off the same shutter mech

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

If you smoke film you'll probably end up with cancer and/or argyria, and a very nasty taste in your mouth.
If you smoke celluloid film, you'll have an exploding cigar like in the cartoons.

There is something about the Trip's pictures in general (not just on those expired film pics) that make me go 'eh, it's sharp but meh'. It never was really my thing. But even so, i used it a lot. The auto exposure works fine and in a predictable way. The scale focus never failed me. It's also sturdy. Dropped it right onto the lens ring once, no damage apart from the dented ring. Survived a couple of mosh pits. It served me very well for about 5 years.
Someone else is probably very happy with it now :)

Before the Trip was my main 'take everywhere' camera, i had a Ricoh 500g. I'd say it's every bit as good but a bit more lively. Also manual control over everything if you want, and a built in range finder. Got rid of it because of a weird shutter malfunction causing perfectly straight white bands on the left side of the shot. Almost as if you get light through the opening of a roll of film, but sharper, and also not in every frame.

After the Trip, i got a Mju-2. It is every bit as good as its reputation suggests. SLR sharpness in an extremely small form factor. However, i'm getting rid of it. Sad times, i love the lens, but i just can not deal with the 'auto everything' of that camera. Point, shoot, pray that the autofocus actually focused on what you had in mind. Also don't forget to turn the flash off everytime you take the camera out, even if it's bright outside it might just choose to flash if you don't force it off.

With the money of the sale of the Mju, i'll probably buy a nice CLA'd Ricoh 500g again, and have some cash to spare to spend on an enlarger.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I regret not getting an mju-2 back in 2018. I thought they were too expensive then so I got an XA instead. I love my XA dearly, but an auto focus would be perfect for some of the candids I shoot.

Now it's hard to for me to justify the cost of buying another fixed angle compact with the price of film.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The mju ii is a fine camera, but not worth more than $100, and even that is generous.

I've had 3 in my life and sold them all after a year or two of use.

The lens is sharp, but only in the center, which is fine for a p&s. The autofocus was very hit and miss. One of the 3 cams had its flash die, another developed issues with advancing the frame, and the third developed a light leak.

They're prone to breaking.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Mine has been working fine for a couple years now, but i have to admit that i've only shot a handful of rolls with it in that time.

I've now put it for sale for an asking price of €175, let's see if someone bites. I got it at a flea market for a flea market price so i don't mind not getting the full 'ebay listing price' for it. Image quality wise it's definitely worth 100 bucks. but i just can't stand the 'Let me think for you' system behind it.

Two pics i took with the Mju on Agfa CT Precisa slide film.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Depending on where you live you could get more than 175eur, i sold mine last year for $400 cad, with a lightleak.

E: oh you got it at the proper price, nice. Buy some film with the proceeds

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I live in The Netherlands. Most 2nd hand stuff is a bit cheaper here. I could export it, the customs stuff is no big deal, but i'd rather give someone who doesn't have €350 to spend on a camera a chance to get one.

Porst TTL with Auto Rikenon 55mm f/1.4 lens. That lens is so drat good, and still pretty cheap.
Film: RPX400. Didn't write down what developer. Either PC-TEA or Rodinal. I used PC-TEA once and i loved it, but i didn't develop enough film to keep it without expiring.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 12, 2023

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This is cool.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The Mju was sold today for 150 bucks. New owner very happy.

Going to the shops to grab some dark room lights and chemistry tomorrow and spend a not-insignificant part of the money i made again lol

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

I purchased an Olympus OM-1 and I'll be dipping my toe in to film for the first time in the near future, bought a bunch of B&W film as well.

It came with the standard 50mm lens as well as a big ol 200mm lens, I have no idea what I'll do with it but exciting none the less. Wish me luck!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

What kind of film did you get? I can give you some specific advise if you want it. Some films need to be treated in a slightly non-obvious way.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

tompepper posted:

I purchased an Olympus OM-1 and I'll be dipping my toe in to film for the first time in the near future, bought a bunch of B&W film as well.

It came with the standard 50mm lens as well as a big ol 200mm lens, I have no idea what I'll do with it but exciting none the less. Wish me luck!

Hell yeah, go wild with it, have a good time. Black and white is surprisingly resilient to loving up exposure.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

LimaBiker posted:

What kind of film did you get? I can give you some specific advise if you want it. Some films need to be treated in a slightly non-obvious way.

I got a bunch of Ilford HP5+ 400, and I'll take all the advice I can get lol.

I'm a bit nervous to dive in and just start snapping pics so I might just do one roll at a time and try to course correct as I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Get out there and go wild, trust the camera meter.