Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

1800 is the minimum viable level for endgame content- high difficulty lost sectors and nightfalls, dungeons and raids, etc. You should be able to blaze through Witch Queen on normal, doing it on legendary is only necessary for a couple of triumphs and an armor drop that's no longer valuable

Erm, I did solo legendary lost sectors at 1785. They aren't that tough. Just Suspend everything as you move through the lost sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RocketRaygun posted:

Erm, I did solo legendary lost sectors at 1785. They aren't that tough. Just Suspend everything as you move through the lost sector.

I tried the Ahimsa Park LLS and got immediately charged by an unstoppable with 40 light on me and nowhere to retreat to, so I just noped out of it. I'm 1800 now so I'm waiting for them to cycle back in

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Power / LL loving sucks lol

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

I tried the Ahimsa Park LLS and got immediately charged by an unstoppable with 40 light on me and nowhere to retreat to, so I just noped out of it. I'm 1800 now so I'm waiting for them to cycle back in

Suspend everything!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Power / LL loving sucks lol

this tbh

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whoa, the Firebolt Grenade upgrade mod on the artifact has a secret extra perk - if you directly bean the opponent with the grenade, they Ignite instantly

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Well, that was intense. Practically a dungeon.

Wouldn't have stood a chance solo without the Gyrfalcon/Graviton/Retrofit setup that got me through the legendary campaign.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like I went in with a pretty haphazard build - Strand Warlock, QSS, Explosive Personality and Circular Logic and it wasn't too bad. Certainly makes me think it's going to be real spicy on legend.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Which of the seasonal weapons should I be aiming to unlock for crafting first? Also, which buildcrafters are trustworthy? I can't figure out who is good considering every Destiny 2 youtuber is basically a clone in terms of style and makes the same headlines/thumbnails declaring each build to be "INSANE" or "THIS BREAKS THE GAME" or something to that effect.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Strand hunter with assassin cowl got through the exotic mission fairly easily. That mission ruled and the exotic sounds wild.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

new exotic requires you to

1) use your ammo

and then

2) get shot at

and then

3) face the shot and block it

to get the engine going. And then even after that the melee doesn't proc volatile rounds.

So trash it's a cry for help. So trash it necessitates a wellness check on the designer. I kinda feel bad. People made this. They made it with good intentions.

sure okay fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 7, 2023

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Quicksilver Storm seems really loving good. Especially after I got the catalyst for it. Really hard to swap to something else...

It's really quite good, and fantastic for running through the Lightfall campaign because of the strand shields. In this past week I've racked up more kills on it than on my Ikelos smg.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Quicksilver Storm seems really loving good. Especially after I got the catalyst for it. Really hard to swap to something else...

Have they fixed it yet?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sure okay posted:

new exotic requires you to

1) use your ammo

and then

2) get shot at

and then

3) face the shot and block it

to get the engine going. And then even after that the melee doesn't proc volatile rounds.

So trash it's a cry for help. So trash it necessitates a wellness check on the designer. I kinda feel bad. People made this. They made it with good intentions.
Whoa my god you gotta use the glaive to get it going?

Blocking damage gives you (an allies) a void overshield and then literally just meleeing refreshes it. That feels like it can have some potential.

I'm kind of wondering if it might refresh -any- void overshield as well.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Listerine posted:

It's really quite good, and fantastic for running through the Lightfall campaign because of the strand shields. In this past week I've racked up more kills on it than on my Ikelos smg.

I saw maybe 5 enemies with a strand flavored shield in the campaign, so it really isn't much of an issue.
Unless the legendary campaign throws a ton more of them at you.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I saw maybe 5 enemies with a strand flavored shield in the campaign, so it really isn't much of an issue.
Unless the legendary campaign throws a ton more of them at you.

I've only been playing Legendary, there are definitely plenty of them in that.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Strand shields is so funny lol

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I'm kind of wondering if it might refresh -any- void overshield as well.

boy howdy

try warlock rift

I'm going to gently caress around with some Titan exos later, curious how many melee buffs work properly, given how insane the void Titan is right now, this is just a big fat bonus

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
It could have been fine but they had to say “they’ll never expect STRAND!!” Zlmao loving amateurs in every way

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Strand shields is so funny lol
Is it really that much weirder then non paracausal races having shields based on light subclasses?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

Is it really that much weirder then non paracausal races having shields based on light subclasses?

Yes because the narrative literally talks JUST discovering strand and it being so new and crazy the bad guys will never expect it

Also the light classes represent the manifestation of existing physical forces that all races have known about forever, ex: arc energy conduits and the like

Stop making excuses for a disaster

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's not excusing, it's called not caring. Some poo poo is just game elements for the sake of making a video game that has mechanics and poo poo.

But even Light magic might be manifestations of real things, but the nature of them is still supposed to very much be "guardian made" - Hive having some void light tends to make sense since they literally suck it out of guardians, but Cabal having solar shields is basically ???? Like does the lore really ever actually acknowledge energy shields as something enemies are literally running?

e: The Veil going unexplained and everyone treating it like you should know what's up is dumb as gently caress "Why do the enemies have strand shields" is some cinema sins nerdy nit-picking.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You're weirdly fixated on the colour of the shield my dude.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Non-guardians use solar, void and arc energy all the time, don't they? It's just guardians who are able to make it with their fingers, but I thought these were basic concepts of the universe that people can use.

Solar arc and void shields on enemies make perfect sense since they're readily available forms of energy that normies can harness. There's no stasis shields (still) because shields are made of energy and stasis isn't energy

Strand 'shields' (armor) have a different cosmetic effect to make it clear that the bad guy is just protected by some fibers of reality but you gotta admit they could have handled the Story aspect of it a lot better. Which they seem to care about, since No Stasis Shields Still

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

e: The Veil going unexplained and everyone treating it like you should know what's up is dumb as gently caress "Why do the enemies have strand shields" is some cinema sins nerdy nit-picking.

Lol it’s all part of the same total lack of institutional discipline re: the story and lore development

It’s loving embarrassing.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Non-guardians use solar, void and arc energy all the time, don't they? It's just guardians who are able to make it with their fingers, but I thought these were basic concepts of the universe that people can use.

Solar arc and void shields on enemies make perfect sense since they're readily available forms of energy that normies can harness. There's no stasis shields (still) because shields are made of energy and stasis isn't energy

Strand 'shields' (armor) have a different cosmetic effect to make it clear that the bad guy is just protected by some fibers of reality but you gotta admit they could have handled the Story aspect of it a lot better. Which they seem to care about, since No Stasis Shields Still

Exactly, ffs the most recent dungeon was literally a giant arc-powered thing. The light classes are using paracausality to manifest existing physical forces.

Everyone trying to look carefree and above it all is showing they whole rear end while Bungie takes a giant dump all over its own lore because they hosed up their development cycle focusing on getting bought out by Sony

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I dunno how you can say 'The Veil macguffin is bad storytelling but Strand armor is ok because it's for the sake of video game mechanics' because they both seem like they are simultaneously bad story telling & exist only to serve video game mechanics

Neither 'matter', it's easy not to care, it's just silly that they didn't make the slightest, tiniest babydick effort to put one line of dialog in there to make it all Work

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Nothing matters lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lol it’s all part of the same total lack of institutional discipline re: the story and lore development

It’s loving embarrassing.

not as embarrassing as your posting

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oxyclean posted:

Cabal having solar shields is basically ????

In the Cabal legend, a hero seeks to possess the sun. He succeeds. Then, he becomes Emperor. Then he uses that sun to power their shields.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Junkenstein posted:

I swear this does gently caress all for me.

it counts instances of damage, not total damage. A lot of rapid-fire damage from an automatic weapon or something that deals damage over time like anarchy or osteo poison will give you a lot more than a shotgun blast, even if the shotgun does more.

Also VEXCALIBUR AND THE VARIABLE ARE SO loving COOL, THIS MUST BE WHAT PEOPLE WHO LIKED SERAPH SHIELD FELT LIKE

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Yes because why does this random rear end Cabal jobber got a Strand shield, and we all just landed on this planet?
How'd this guy reverse engineer this poo poo into shield tech so fast?

Who decided that it was called Strand(a dogshit name) to begin with?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I repeat: I wasn't even aware energy shields were literal in-story things. You're not supposed to think too hard about them in the same way you don't think about weapon infusion or other gameplay constructs.

I'll concede that they could have thrown in a line about how the shields are some strange darkness power that they don't understand, but we know to be Strand, or presence of the Veil, after all, we're the only ones that actually see strand in it's natural state.

This seems extremely like a thing everyone would shrug off if the rest of the story wasn't a hot mess otherwise.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Imagine caring about plot consistencies in Destiny 2, the video game

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's lots of parts of Destiny and it is cool & good to like the parts of it that you want to, though

(except gambit)

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

my no prize explanation is that the shields aren't made of their elements, it's just that whatever technology used to generate them is susceptible to that element. A solar shield isn't solar energy, it's just that whatever generates it goes down easy to solar.

So the Shadow Legion, juiced up with pyramid gear and ALREADY using new advanced shield tech, having personal shields resistant to everything but the completely new energy source Calus had no way of anticipating makes sense in my head.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I repeat: I wasn't even aware energy shields were literal in-story things. You're not supposed to think too hard about them in the same way you don't think about weapon infusion or other gameplay constructs.

I'll concede that they could have thrown in a line about how the shields are some strange darkness power that they don't understand, but we know to be Strand, or presence of the Veil, after all, we're the only ones that actually see strand in it's natural state.

This seems extremely like a thing everyone would shrug off if the rest of the story wasn't a hot mess otherwise.

Even if the rest of the story wasn't hot rear end, this would still be incredibly stupid.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There's lots of parts of Destiny and it is cool & good to like the parts of it that you want to, though

(except gambit)

Gambit is the best ritual activity and it's not even close :colbert:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

arsenicCatnip posted:

personal shields resistant to everything but the completely new energy source Calus had no way of anticipating makes sense in my head.

Now that's the stuff baby. Oded Fehr would probably sprint to the studio RIGHT now to record a line about how Calus equipped his elite with armor that could resist anything he knew we were capable of after monitoring us for years and the only thing that can cut through it is the Unexpected etc etc

In a similar vein, the Veil also makes perfect sense, once you've done the Rohan's Legacy quest, listened to Jisu Colorado's dialogue, also read the leaked lore for the next year. There's not an issue of 'The Veil makes no sense', just an issue of 'why the heck didn't they establish any of this during the campaign lol'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

yeah gambit is loving fun rn, invading with strand is so funny