Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

For everyone having issues with accursed tiktok:
https://twitter.com/GameChangerSam/status/1632775545879674881

Looks good. Looks great, even!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Season Finale :(

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Pleads posted:

For everyone having issues with accursed tiktok:
https://twitter.com/GameChangerSam/status/1632775545879674881

Looks good. Looks great, even!

Upsetting. I love it!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

NieR Occomata posted:

Is it even possible to put Brennan in a situation where he’s actually on the back foot? Because I would love to see it.

this as a game changer episode basically?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7MBoi2m31w

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One day there's going to be a Game Changer where the rest of the production team and Brennan conspire to turn the tables and make Sam the surprise contestant for an episode.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

brennan/lou/siobhan gonna be a good one

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Oh my god this is chaos in the best way

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

That was incredible

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That was a very fun episode :allears:

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Just finished the episode and good god drat was that a fun ride. Siobhan/Lou are both perfect for this game, and Brennan is perfect for every game just because of how amazingly quickly he goes from calm and collected to outright insane.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I've always wanted to go to an escape room and absolutely wreck house, so this was incredibly cathartic for me

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 7, 2023

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
That was somehow a perfect representation of the Dungeons and Dragons experience.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh my god. Samuel Dalton was here the whole time. He was the Sam in the season's poster!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Just started the Gamechanger episode, I was happy to see that at the start Brennan had a big bag of almonds immediately at hand.

Edit: That was fantastic.

boxen fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 7, 2023

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
IMMEDIATE VIOLENCE

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I Am Fowl posted:

Oh my god. Samuel Dalton was here the whole time. He was the Sam in the season's poster!

Goddamnit.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
Honestly that was the right call for the contestants to leave Sam tied up in the bathroom for a little longer. Still trying to figure out how he got in there and switched from a live video feed to something prerecorded.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

tmm3k posted:

Honestly that was the right call for the contestants to leave Sam tied up in the bathroom for a little longer. Still trying to figure out how he got in there and switched from a live video feed to something prerecorded.

Misdirection, a common tool of.... oh gently caress, guys, It was Sam Dalton in the bathroom!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

tmm3k posted:

I think there's a window right next to him. I think when all three contestants were getting close to solving the puzzle in the little room, that's probably when the switch happened, just when none of them were able to see the screen, and then a quick run with a helper 'round the back way (maybe over the roof?). I do wonder what we missed with what was supposedly an hour long timer on the bomb, but only a 26 minute episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

boxen posted:

I think there's a window right next to him. I think when all three contestants were getting close to solving the puzzle in the little room, that's probably when the switch happened, just when none of them were able to see the screen, and then a quick run with a helper 'round the back way (maybe over the roof?). I do wonder what we missed with what was supposedly an hour long timer on the bomb, but only a 26 minute episode.

This would be a good behind the scenes episode to make. Just release a real time cut with like a 6 way split screen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NieR Occomata posted:

Is it even possible to put Brennan in a situation where he’s actually on the back foot? Because I would love to see it.

I mean this episode kind of was that, as evidenced by the finale with Brennan, Lou and Siobhan all just standing there, dead eyed as Sam celebrated the episode before they decide to just pour their water out on him. I'm sure they all saw the humor in it after the fact, but it seems like all 3 of them were genuinely stressed by the episode itself.

enki42 posted:

this as a game changer episode basically?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7MBoi2m31w

If the game is "make something where it's not about winning" and/or "a thing Brennan can't win" then I'd say they already did that; multiple times even, really. There was the episode where everyone was doing a Jeopardy board but it hinged on them cooperating, the infamous "Yes/No" episode that ends with Brennan figuring out "I...cannot...win!" and possibly whatever episode it was that ended with everyone forming a union. I say "possibly" for the simple reason that I can't even remember what the actual game was, and if that was in the rules or just a possibility Sam foresaw as an outcome; never mind whether Brennan was even on the episode.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

The poster even features the 7-of-diamonds card that Sam had each of them pull. I wonder how he did that trick? I'm guessing he had one deck of cards that was all 7ofD and a second deck that had the item theme, and just switched the card packs when no one was looking?

I also wonder if they had anything planned if anyone had attempted to pick the bathroom door lock early. That only utilized a paperclip, so in theory it could have been done from the start, unless that a bit of movie magic.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Bobulus posted:

I also wonder if they had anything planned if anyone had attempted to pick the bathroom door lock early. That only utilized a paperclip, so in theory it could have been done from the start, unless that a bit of movie magic.

I would say it's against the spirit of an escape room to try and pick a lock if something in the game hasn't pointed you towards doing that, but then again it's also against the spirit of an escape room to immediately smash a guitar to pieces as the literal first thing you do.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bobulus posted:

The poster even features the 7-of-diamonds card that Sam had each of them pull. I wonder how he did that trick? I'm guessing he had one deck of cards that was all 7ofD and a second deck that had the item theme, and just switched the card packs when no one was looking?

It's entirely possible they had two locks on that door, and simply undid one when it was appropriate, with the second lock being easy to pick but in general I don't think it's necessary. The cast had no reason to question the "Out of Order" sign prior to the game starting, and once the game started they were on a ticking clock and stress would almost certainly constrain their thinking and stop them from even considering something of no apparent consequence or influence to their situation. That said, the lock was extremely easy to open considering Siobhan, who presumably has no training in the area, picked it with a paperclip in seconds without any real apparent effort to mess around with it. The aperture was just a tiny hole with no specific key shape either. I don't know if any such thing exists, but at a guess it might have had a special lock of some kind that opens easily with even minor effort for the sake of movie sets and such.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's just a standard interior safety door lock, that you might have on your kids room

We had a lock similar on my door as a kid, it's a privacy lock that allows for simple entry to like a bathroom or kids room if they try and lock you out or whatever.

I used to pester my sister by bending a hanger to unlock them when I was a 8 year old and she was like 14.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, you can jimmy those open super fast. We had ones with a slightly bigger opening and would use eyeglass repair screwdrivers if someone accidentally locked them from the outside.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

8one6 posted:

This would be a good behind the scenes episode to make. Just release a real time cut with like a 6 way split screen.

I think they usually toss one of those up the next week if they're going to do it, so maybe next week?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I was wondering how long some of that stuff had been set up. I remember seeing some kind of behind the scenes or interview with some dropout people that was in that room, but I don't remember what or when it was to go back and look for differences. You'd think a bunch of cameras suddenly showing up would be a huge tipoff but maybe the contestants were just going along with the bit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We've seen enough stuff in there that I imagine it's not uncommon for film stuff and crews to be there for behind the scenes content.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPs4TbGpleg

That's the only other video I can remember showing that room, so you might be referring to that one. It's a markedly different look there though, with none of the framed show posters , no television mounted etc. A lot of that was pretty recent though, going by the comment during the episode that "the posters aren't just there to celebrate our history" or whatever it was. So presumably Sam did it all during a recent renovation with this plan ultimately in mind, but the other additions not exactly being unappreciated by the staff regardless. The addition of the cameras can also be explained by the fact the show has now started doing "behind the scenes" extras for every episode, and this episode in particular having Sam give the excuse that he had to start the "spiel" in the green room in order to prevent them seeing the set beforehand. So the room would have to be camera'd up to have that spiel included in the show at all.

I do like that Lou is apparently just a nervous loving wreck on camera between running through the room knocking over chairs in that video, jumping every time someone blew the foghorn in the "Sam Says" episode and him jumping when Sam starts speaking from the TV in this episode. I'm sure there's some degree of over-reacting for comedy in at least the first instance, especially going off his comment later that you're supposed to do stupid poo poo like that when you're on screen, but the jumping when startled in the other instances seems pretty genuine even if he's exaggerating somewhat then too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 7, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My understanding is that they film most of the Game Changer stuff as a pretty short block, so it's likely the room was set up in its current configuration ready for this from the start of this season's filming anyway.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MikeJF posted:

My understanding is that they film most of the Game Changer stuff as a pretty short block, so it's likely the room was set up in its current configuration ready for this from the start of this season's filming anyway.

That was my guess, with some of the bigger stuff (guitar, coat rack, cameras) being moved in some time before to not raise suspicion and then things like the Doritos and RC car added day-of.
Does it look like the bit with the posters was necessary or just a distraction? They moved to the next step but could they have found it without doing the posters? The subtitles said there was an unlock noise but I don't know if that was added in post.

Also, whoever did the subtitles for this and other shows was having a good time.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

enki42 posted:

I would say it's against the spirit of an escape room to try and pick a lock if something in the game hasn't pointed you towards doing that, but then again it's also against the spirit of an escape room to immediately smash a guitar to pieces as the literal first thing you do.

It's absolutely not against the spirit. You're locked in a room and have to escape, that's the rules and outside of physical force/breaking poo poo/being a dick you're well within your rights.

Favorite memory of an escape the room was one where we were stuck on a puzzle and then someone said they got it and we carried on. Only afterwards did we ask how they did it, and sure enough, they picked the lock for that specific task. It's a game of wits, and outsmarting the game is never a bad thing!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

outside of physical force/breaking poo poo/being a dick you're well within your rights.

I mean, even force/breaking things might be allowed depending on the escape room. The ones I've done gave you explicit rules for what was and was not allowed, for example "you will not need to break anything to get out of here". I think it wouldn't have been completely unreasonable for Siobhan to kool-aid man through the door rather than picking it (yes I know that's unlikely but it'd be REALLY entertaining). There was definitely some slight level of destruction involved in opening the little door to the secret room that had been plastered or painted shut. It was just very easy to do because it had been designed in as part of the task.

I assume some of the time that was edited out was going over the rules, else I find it hard to believe that Lou would smash a guitar that didn't belong to him IMMEDIATELY after they started.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's a game of wits, and outsmarting the game is never a bad thing!

See also: using Facetime to make driving the car a lot easier . That would have taken MUCH more time if not for the clever solution.

This all got me thinking, Rage Rooms are a thing and Escape Rooms are a thing, someone has to have come up with some sort of hybrid where you need to smash AND think. It'd be like chess boxing.

boxen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 7, 2023

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I dunno, the facetime car thing feels like it's doing what you're supposed to be doing but finding a better way to do it. Picking locks that you haven't been hinted to pick feels like most of the time it would invalidate a puzzle that's supposed to lead you to the key.

If they just picked the lock in the first place pretty much the entirety of the escape room is invalidated, and escape rooms are definitely supposed to have a bit of a "script" and order of operations to them.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Definitely my favorite episode of this season. Those were some fun puzzles, and Brennan, Siobhan, and Lou are such a great team.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

boxen posted:

That was my guess, with some of the bigger stuff (guitar, coat rack, cameras) being moved in some time before to not raise suspicion and then things like the Doritos and RC car added day-of.

I assume things like bags of sweets and chips are going to be pretty standard in a greenroom.

boxen posted:

Does it look like the bit with the posters was necessary or just a distraction? They moved to the next step but could they have found it without doing the posters? The subtitles said there was an unlock noise but I don't know if that was added in post.

Theoretically they could just have unlocked the bathroom door without any of the rest of it, so by that logic the entire thing is really just distraction. The posters gave them one more hint they needed to actually do it.

boxen posted:

This all got me thinking, Rage Rooms are a thing and Escape Rooms are a thing, someone has to have come up with some sort of hybrid where you need to smash AND think. It'd be like chess boxing.

Now that you mention it, I think the faces on everyone at the end when Sam revealed the prize was the chance to willingly go to an escape room that maybe they'd have appreciated a rage room more.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

enki42 posted:

If they just picked the lock in the first place pretty much the entirety of the escape room is invalidated, and escape rooms are definitely supposed to have a bit of a "script" and order of operations to them.

Agreed, but its about how you define your goals and how people interpret the spirit of the thing. It could be argued that the fastest way to get out of the room would be to call 911 and say you're being held against your will and provide the address. I think a big part of having a time limit was to encourage them to go through the sequence rather than just trying random things, and also yeah picking the lock at the beginning would have invalidated a bunch of it but they'd also be left just with access to the bathroom which they didn't even know was part of it, so why would they even try?

It's a bunch of improv people, they tend to go off-script. Sam said at the end his partner for the design of it ran an escape room company that had won some awards, so I assume they knew what they were doing. I doubt they cared much about how everything was solved, as long as it was entertaining.

For all we know, the first run of the escape room was three different people who just brute forced everything and it wasn't fun to watch.

tsob posted:

I assume things like bags of sweets and chips are going to be pretty standard in a greenroom.

Theoretically they could just have unlocked the bathroom door without any of the rest of it, so by that logic the entire thing is really just distraction. The posters gave them one more hint they needed to actually do it.

I meant they added the specific bag with the card the day of, things like that. Things like the rabbit on the wall I'm not sure, you could easily add that in advance but you'd think someone would ask "why is this random and not very creative sticker on the wall" but personally I'd probably just see it and go "huh, that's weird" and immediately forget it.

For your spoiler, yeah I agree but I imagine some of the contestant selection process was to pick people who'd get into the spirit of the thing (Brenna being fully unwilling to let sam "win" and so playing by the rules of the game, for example) rather than immediately just trying to get out through any means necessary.

I think this is the only Gamechange episode that I've finished and immediately rewatched. Twice.

boxen fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 7, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobulus posted:

First spoiler:A magician that is decent at sleight of hand can really do either. If Sam really has been studying close up magic, he might just have used a normal deck to start but forced the choice so that they would always pick the 6 of diamonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lou finding out what the game was and immediately smashing the guitar against the wall with no hesitation is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 8, 2023