Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I think it's a lot more likely that he learned about the Saudi bonesaw squad (who by the way historically have been involved in stuff massively lower stakes than Elon's involvement with MBS) than that he's worried about a an actual corporate takeover per se

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

When MBS finds out he's getting nothing, financial or otherwise, from this Twitter deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powBr8Hobbk

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think it's a lot more likely that he learned about the Saudi bonesaw squad (who by the way historically have been involved in stuff massively lower stakes than Elon's involvement with MBS) than that he's worried about a an actual corporate takeover per se

I’m losing my mind a bit here because it seemed for a second like people thought armed guards could do something about a corporate takeover, which unless I’m confused usually involve things like “a board vote” that don’t typically result in murdering the CEO.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 7, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m losing my mind a bit here because it seemed for a second like people thought armed guards could do something about a corporate takeover, which unless I’m confused usually involve things like “a board vote” that don’t typically result in murdering the CEO.

It's Whitebread Apartheid Emerald Mine Wonderboy. Stop thinking about it, you've already gone deeper in the subject than he has. He has money, he thought a thing, now he has his walking, probably not allowed to be talking, safety blankets.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

When MBS finds out he's getting nothing, financial or otherwise, from this Twitter deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powBr8Hobbk

MBS will harass Musk, but they throw away so much money this is practically a drop in the bucket.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

MBS will harass Musk, but they throw away so much money this is practically a drop in the bucket.
Does the mafia really need the $2,000 that Jimmy the Scumbag owes them on bad bets? But they're still gunna break his legs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s not about the money, it’s about the message.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

quote:

People tend to stereotype pickup truck drivers as men who listen to country music, brag about their gun collections and live in the Bible Belt. But that image may begin to change soon. Ford Motor Co. says it has noticed a dramatic shift in that buyer profile since the all-electric F-150 Lightning went on sale.

Based on new customer survey data collected by the automaker, and anonymized to protect the privacy of its buyers, Ford has learned the longtime pickup owners use their gas-powered trucks differently than the newcomers who have opted for the battery version. The most notable tidbit: Lightning owner uses the truck bed (also called the "box") way more often than the gas-powered F-150 owner, doing more hauling and camping and home projects.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2023/03/07/ford-f-150-lightning-pickup-drivers/11413333002/

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Musk isn't going to get a visit from the Saudi bonesaw squad. It's rather gross the number of posts approaching gore fetishization that get made every time someone speculates about it happening.

Musk has security because very billionaire is worried about financially motivated kidnapping and also random stalkers. Musk also has security because of stimulant abuse induced paranoia. Musk doesn't have security because MBS is gonna murder him for losing money on twitter. MBS and Xi are willing to murder their domestic financial elite and unimportant foreigners to maintain power but the entire system of globalization relies on the idea that super rich foreign businessmen are personally safe. The US government is going to say some disapproving words when a journalist gets murdered but none of the people with money and influence are going to tolerate Western governments allowing one of their class to get murdered.

This also assumes that the Saudis are upset about losing money on Twitter and aren't happy that Musk ended up crippling it as a platform for fostering regime dissent.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I’d love an electric Ranger. I have no need for a truck as big as the F-150. My only concern about electric is how short the range is when you want to haul a camper. Since camping tends to happen where there is less infrastructure, having shorter legs will negatively impact my trips.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Tiny Timbs posted:

Elon went the fake disability route on a guy with MD? loving hell there is not a depth to which this clown won’t sink

This gets better:

https://twitter.com/_ElizabethMay/status/1633132292855025666?t=blEh81qOnf5jK9cxtvSQxQ&s=19

I somehow don't think that Elmo's legal squad is going to have much luck in the Icelandic legal system if they refuse to pay out this guy.

He fired the "do not fire" guy.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 7, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Soylent Pudding posted:

Musk isn't going to get a visit from the Saudi bonesaw squad. It's rather gross the number of posts approaching gore fetishization that get made every time someone speculates about it happening.

Musk has security because very billionaire is worried about financially motivated kidnapping and also random stalkers. Musk also has security because of stimulant abuse induced paranoia. Musk doesn't have security because MBS is gonna murder him for losing money on twitter. MBS and Xi are willing to murder their domestic financial elite and unimportant foreigners to maintain power but the entire system of globalization relies on the idea that super rich foreign businessmen are personally safe. The US government is going to say some disapproving words when a journalist gets murdered but none of the people with money and influence are going to tolerate Western governments allowing one of their class to get murdered.

To be clear i'm suggesting that his personal feeling of vulnerability is the driving thing here, not that the Saudis (or anyone else) are actually about to hurt Musk. Idk if Musk actually understands how the global order wrt rich business people works well enough to feel safe, nor that he would even trust his interpretation of it with his life. Way easier for him to just hire some full-time babysitters who are good at saying the words that will make him feel safe.

To add to his paranoia, he's also got a stream of sycophants' telling him that various groups are out to get him. I suspect his paranoia goes out well beyond just the potential for kidnapping or random stalkers, both of which are things he already had security for, anyways.

quote:

This also assumes that the Saudis are upset about losing money on Twitter and aren't happy that Musk ended up crippling it as a platform for fostering regime dissent.

At least on this point, twitter has been a lot more useful as a tool for shutting down activists and unwinding activist networks than it has as a tool for activism. Hence the Saud's significant personal stake in it.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 7, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't think the bodyguards are there because of the Saudis. Musk wants to be the center of attention, he wants to be either adored or feared and he's got the charisma and physical intimidation of a garden snail. His next best play as the authoritarian he is is to surround himself with tough people to give the air of intimidation. Seems pretty simple and fits the details we are privy to observe so far imo.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

stealie72 posted:

Does the mafia really need the $2,000 that Jimmy the Scumbag owes them on bad bets? But they're still gunna break his legs.

The power disparity between Musk and MBS is not proportional to the Mob vs joe scumbag.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

This gets better:

https://twitter.com/_ElizabethMay/status/1633132292855025666?t=blEh81qOnf5jK9cxtvSQxQ&s=19

I somehow don't think that Elmo's legal squad is going to have much luck in the Icelandic legal system if they refuse to pay out this guy.

He fired the "do not fire" guy.

It's amazing how many people he is lining up to sue his rear end to the wall, and much like his entire acquisition of Twitter he has utterly failed to read the legally binding contract.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In fairness, so far, he has demonstrated no competence in literacy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

In fairness, so far, he has demonstrated no competence in literacy.

Oh I get why most of his responses are single words/emojis now

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

When I left superyachts, one of the observations I made is that the owners were not buying a yacht so much as they were buying their own little kingdom. I can't help but feel that Musk feels the same way about Twitter, even down to the utter disregard for laws. But seeing all this in enormous publicity instead of on a secret little kingdom is just next level.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When I left superyachts, one of the observations I made is that the owners were not buying a yacht so much as they were buying their own little kingdom. I can't help but feel that Musk feels the same way about Twitter, even down to the utter disregard for laws. But seeing all this in enormous publicity instead of on a secret little kingdom is just next level.

Yeah, I remember from the book Superpumped about Uber that when their CEO left under a cloud of shame he walked away with billions and went to a friends super-yacht to relax and recharge for as long as he wanted. Stuff like that stands out in my mind whenever I see people trying to shame or “own” jerk tech CEOs, in how far beyond they are from consequences.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So is Elon just gonna offer Halli a horse or what?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Look I fully realize Musk is highly unlikely to ever face any kind of threat to his physical safety from MBS and the Saudi's, but it's still fun to imagine him being worried about it, because he's a loving moron.

So in conclusion, "Bonesaw is ready!"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1633158789103747072

Hmm

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's.... very Children of Men.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Indian British Ted Cruz just slide decking slavery.

:thumbsup:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I thought that was a parody account, that’s a terrible way to phrase it.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

For a one off movie I can’t think of anything that does better world building. On my last rewatch picked up on how one of the Fishes at the farm seems to be a refugee with a strong medical background, but because of their awful laws despite a desperate labor shortage he’s unable to work, just another little detail of the terrible regime shooting itself in the foot.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

*fairytale narrator voice*
"But Labour was still too stupid to take advantage of this, for still many fought over how totally great Saint Jeremy was"

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

*fairytale narrator voice*
"But Labour was still too stupid to take advantage of this, for still many fought over how totally great Saint Jeremy was"

Nah, this is Starmer terrified of doing anything that may stir up the lost Labour voters, [mainly olds] he is trying to tempt back, and who, by and large, agree with this.

Starmer's whole stratagy is "get elected first" and he will do nothing to rock the boat on this. :dadjoke:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Are we not doing phrasing anymore? Is that not a thing? Because "you will not benefit from our slavery protections" is just, loving, yikes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
In the US it was (is?) illegals don't get constitutional protection so

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
loving hell that's bleak

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lightpole posted:

In the US it was (is?) illegals don't get constitutional protection so

Illegal immigrants are definitely protected by the constitution too

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/1633082713971277824

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Grip it and rip it posted:

In a 5-4 decision...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

If the “modern slavery protections” go above constitutional minimum requirements, undocumented migrants could be excluded from that system in the US. The protection in the US just means the 14th amendment applies to non-citizens.

E: Not a disagreement with your post, more of a reply to the comment you were responding to.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 7, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

not a lot of things manage to make me say "holy poo poo" out loud these days, but this WMD-grade burn is definitely one of them

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

Robert Facepalmer posted:

In a 6-3 decision...

Fixed for the current court.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I was thinking of Trump trying to deny access to lawyers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Considering this is crowder he probably thinks it's on the right track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Burt posted:

Nah, this is Starmer terrified of doing anything that may stir up the lost Labour voters, [mainly olds] he is trying to tempt back, and who, by and large, agree with this.

Starmer's whole stratagy is "get elected first" and he will do nothing to rock the boat on this. :dadjoke:

Don't forget his home secretary (for Americans it's kinda but not quite like a combination of the heads of Justice, the Interior, and Homeland Security all in one) is Suella Braverman. Despite being the daughter of a couple that immigrated from India to the UK, she is more pro-British Empire than most brits, and she has been very open in saying the British Raj did nothing wrong. As you can probably guess, she is also incredibly xenophobic.