Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I mean Sugar's was basically Trap People In Endless Nightmare Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The problem is doflamingo broke the power scale with that one move. Sugar’s ability had drawbacks

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sometimes fruits be overpowered. And That's OK
Enel Kuma Foxy Aikanu are overpowered in ways that make sense and click with the rest of the manga. Birdcage is just dumb. I think theres also an element of disappointment as we were all hoping for cool puppet controlling and scheming spider web kind of stuff from Doflamingos powers but instead his fighting style was just, punch man hard, fly a bit, birdcage.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Dressrosa is a good arc with some pacing problems, but on the topic of devil fruits, Dressrosa features the top three fruits I'd actively avoid eating: Jacket-Jacket, Hobby-Hobby, and Beta-Beta. Those powers are all nightmare fuel.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Best spoilers are out: 3 weeks with no break

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the bird cage as a power felt bad because it was a sudden twist super move that didn't really feel congruent with the rest of his powers (which were already a bit all over the place). it wasn't a cool creative application of his power, just a sudden jump in power that only served to further raise the stakes in an uninteresting way when the arc was already bloated enough as-is

sugar's power was really overpowered too but that was her entire deal so it felt more justified at least

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I saw some youtube theories that Dressrosa will end up being a microcosm of what Im/WG did with the void century, with Doflamingo trying to emulate on a city scale what Im did on a world scale. I think that makes a lot of sense and would explain where things felt awkwardly forced into place to make the plot happen, like Sugar in general.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't like hammering on the same issue, specially when someone simply posted that they liked the arc, but my dressrosa take is that the bird cage closing in is what sucked. Bird cage prior didn't take much time and just added tension effectively, but closing kept getting reinforced and must've used up like five chapters worth of pages with the citizens pushing it back or escaping and poo poo.
The straw hat fleet rules and are great, I would never cut em, but they did bloat the arc when the fighting happened.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Honestly, instead of break weak Oda should just let one of his assistants put out a Strawhat Armada comic where they go on random rear end adventures and in one out of 100 of them there's a single thing that is absolutely plot vital and will ruin the whole series if you don't read it.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i agree that the birdcage wasted a ton of panel space, but i also thought it was cool that doflamingo had such powerful moves. he’s one of the most skilled devil fruit users we’ve been shown, maybe even the single most skilled.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The thing that makes birdcage suck is that there doesn’t seem to be any reason Doffy can’t put the birdcage on any island at all and take it over, including Mariejoise. There probably is a reason but since we aren’t aware, the power seems broken in a unsatisfactory way.

I bet Luffy could get through it with his current power set though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

I don't like hammering on the same issue, specially when someone simply posted that they liked the arc, but my dressrosa take is that the bird cage closing in is what sucked. Bird cage prior didn't take much time and just added tension effectively, but closing kept getting reinforced and must've used up like five chapters worth of pages with the citizens pushing it back or escaping and poo poo.
The straw hat fleet rules and are great, I would never cut em, but they did bloat the arc when the fighting happened.

To be fair, panel-wasting ticking-bomb plot devices have been a thing in One Piece since at least Arabasta, with Skypeia and Punk Hazard being especially bad offenders ("Oh no, the lightning/gas has gotten infinitesimally closer to us!"). But yes, that's a big part of the problem with the Bird Cage.

People latch on to Bird Cage because it's at the intersection of three of Dressrosa's main problems: everything being dragged out too long, Doflamingo/Sugar/Law having arbitrary collections of powers to make the plot work, and the tension-deflating effect of Fujitora and Sabo being present and stronger than Doflamingo. A nonsense power of Doflamingo's that works by endlessly closing in, and that Fujitora ought to be able to cut but can't, becomes symbolic of the broader problems with the arc.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1633130157639716867?t=hlqEyFFLVe1TSir6qYvORg&s=19

Japan-only for now. Hopefully following to other regions real soon.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

The thing that makes birdcage suck is that there doesn’t seem to be any reason Doffy can’t put the birdcage on any island at all and take it over, including Mariejoise. There probably is a reason but since we aren’t aware, the power seems broken in a unsatisfactory way.

I bet Luffy could get through it with his current power set though.

If Doflamingo used it on Marie Geoise, Imu would probably kill him personally. Also note that although Bird Cage seemingly can't be cut, it closes in gradually and can be pushed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A man named Doflamingo....never existed.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

jassa posted:

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1633130157639716867?t=hlqEyFFLVe1TSir6qYvORg&s=19

Japan-only for now. Hopefully following to other regions real soon.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Another weak element of Dressrosa not mentioned was the countdown to Luffy's Haki recharging.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tolth posted:

It was horrible to read weekly. It works pretty well in the arc overall, but when those were being released week by week it was intolerable and the weekly readers are still mad about it.

Yeah it was a frustration I was starting to feel with Onigashima as well

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lih posted:

sugar's power was really overpowered too but that was her entire deal so it felt more justified at least

Her power is dependent on her touching you and gets nullified when she becomes unconscious, anyone with ranged attacks or conqueror haki could just zonk her out

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Plutonis posted:

Her power is dependent on her touching you and gets nullified when she becomes unconscious, anyone with ranged attacks or conqueror haki could just zonk her out

If they know what her power does, sure, perhaps. But she can use it right in front of you without you even retaining the knowledge.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wasn't that exactly what happened with Usopp

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I wonder how long it took Sugar to explain to Dofly what the gently caress she was doing before he believed and understood how to capitalize on it

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I have always felt that birdcage would have been fine if Doflamingo had to have set it up. Like he hid all these strings through the country so of course they're strong enough to overcome everyone in the moment- they represent years of preparation on the part of Doflamingo. It would fit his character as a schemer and a planner to have meticulously set up a self destruct button on his own country in case anything ever gets out of hand.

In fact, maybe he did set it up somehow. Who's to say otherwise? The fact that he used it in Law's flashback on a random island he was visiting for the first time? That was a weaker birdcage. Yeah. With this one weird headcanon trick, one of Dressrossa's issues just disappears and it's a lot more fun and appropriate climax for the arc.

But alas, no headcanon can fix the weird issues with women in that arc.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sugar landed on the good side of an overpowered fruit - overpowered yes, horrific body horror/psychological torture yes, but with huge downsides - having to touch the victim and losing all the control if you lose consciousness for any reason. I loved that the memory loss extended to Sugar/the Donquixote family themselves, and so they also had no idea that Kyros even existed as a potential threat with knowledge of Sugar's power until her power got zapped away.

Doflamingo just had way too much going on at once in latter half of Dressrosa - simultaneously he had the Bird Cage up, was controlling/puppeting hundreds of citizens/Marines, was creating/controlling his duplicate/doppleganger form, and still was fighting Luffy/Law to the brink using his string moves. At the very least the Bird Cage should have had a physical cost to maintain that was shown to the reader.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The issue with birdcage having an active cost is that it would mean that either a) Luffy and Law should have a much easier time dealing with him or b) if it's down to the wire anyway, then Doflamingo was much more powerful than Luffy and was handicapping himself.

It wouldn't really make sense to make Doflamingo, a shichibukai, someone so powerful it took the combined might of everyone on the island to deal with. If he was a Yonkou, sure. But Doflamingo was being presented as the underling of the real boss, Kaido.

Oda is generally pretty good at making power level stuff feel reasonable. Implying that Luffy would need that much help to take out Doflamingo wouldn't fit the power level vibes of either character at that moment.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Guy who just finished reading the arc here again:

I had no idea the birdcage was going to be such a touchy subject. It seemed like a perfectly functional ticking clock element that heightened the stakes and seemed plausible enough in Doffy’s wheelhouse. His powers are a little more vague than usual but that’s fine. Puppet master : strings : very strong antagonist.

Works just fine for me.

I think the actual Doffy/Luffy fight was the least interesting part of the climax though. Pretty familiar territory. They don’t spend too much time on it though.

The one criticism I will agree on is the weird vibes surrounding the women, but this is something I’ve just kind of accepted with the series. Definitely amped up in this arc, though. Oda sure loves his bazongas.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rebecca, you fought bravely and were undefeated for years. But let daddy handle things.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Robin's whole role in Dressrosa was jobbing to Sugar, making footholds, and holding a bouquet of flowers over Rebecca's head. But then Robin getting thrown by the wayside is a regular issue in this manga.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Robin gets sidelined because she's too powerful. If she actually did anything besides space out arcs would get resolved too fast.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No Wave posted:

Robin gets sidelined because she's too powerful. If she actually did anything besides space out arcs would get resolved too fast.

her big powerup over the time skip was "learning how to throw a palm strike" and that made her strong enough to take down a top lieutenant. she could be an Emperor if she gave a poo poo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
She also learned how to transform into Devilman Lady

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Fujitora’s situation, at least, I’d thought could be put down to him being a reckless gambler whose agenda depended on the Marines being unable to resolve the situation. So he just…didn’t resolve the situation.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

CommunityEdition posted:

Fujitora’s situation, at least, I’d thought could be put down to him being a reckless gambler whose agenda depended on the Marines being unable to resolve the situation. So he just…didn’t resolve the situation.

That doesn't paint him in a sympathetic light, though, especially if he's supposed to be the one "good" admiral, even if that's only relative when he's among bootlickers like Ryokugyu and sellouts like Aokiji.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know if you're a sellout for leaving.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know if you're a sellout for leaving.

It's more he's a sellout for joining up with some of the worst pirates in the world after failing to become head of justice enforcement.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

No Wave posted:

Rebecca, you fought bravely and were undefeated for years. But let daddy handle things.

Yeah, for me the biggest flaw in the arc is that Rebecca just isn't actually a character, she's basically Kyros's accessory.

All the bizarre side characters are so good though. I'm just remembering Cavendish eating roses like a horse or something and chuckling away to myself.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Having a hard time remember when was the last time a woman won against a male fighter who wasn't Sanji.

I guess Nami vs Cracker, but that's kinda an asterisk since that was Luffy's fight and she was sneak attacking him to end it prematurely.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 8, 2023

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
pretty sure big mom was beating the poo poo out of everyone around her until law and kid tossed her in molten lava

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Didn't Kiku solo and defeat Kanjuro? (even tho he didnt stay fully dead)

Boa handled Smoker as well