Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Should I buy the q250c to center my q150s y/n? I already have a center but as I was warned I can totally hear a difference and it sounds much less full than my L/R. I also don't want to just buy a third q150 and put it on its side because I'm already running my existing ones on their side and i think it will look weird. Also I don't want to deal with trying to sell the extra one.

When I upgraded to the q150s they blew me away with how good they sound. Is getting a quality Center gonna do that for me too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Looks like my Polk 505 has given up the ghost, so I'm in the market for a new subwoofer. Rest of the setup is a Denon AVR X1200 and 2 Elac F5s.

Is there a go to recommendation for something in the $300ish range? Willing to go up to $500.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

prom candy posted:

Should I buy the q250c to center my q150s y/n? I already have a center but as I was warned I can totally hear a difference and it sounds much less full than my L/R. I also don't want to just buy a third q150 and put it on its side because I'm already running my existing ones on their side and i think it will look weird. Also I don't want to deal with trying to sell the extra one.

When I upgraded to the q150s they blew me away with how good they sound. Is getting a quality Center gonna do that for me too?

Matching the center to the LR speakers will absolutely make a difference. It will never sound ‘perfect,’ because room acoustics will always make the center sound slightly different, but you will definitely hear an improvement.

The Q250C will work fine. A single Q150 on its side will work fine, and is arguably the better choice, since all 3 speakers will be a perfect match, which really is the ideal.

Accessories4Less sells individual Q150s for $200 each.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefq150blkea/kef-q150-5.25-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-one-single-speaker/1.html

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Phone posted:

Looks like my Polk 505 has given up the ghost, so I'm in the market for a new subwoofer. Rest of the setup is a Denon AVR X1200 and 2 Elac F5s.

Is there a go to recommendation for something in the $300ish range? Willing to go up to $500.

I'm not sure what the go to is, but I saw on SlickDeals that SVS is doing an outlet store blowout and you can get a PB-1000 or SB-1000 for 399 and free shipping which is supposedly a good deal? There is speculation pricing might go a little lower the closer we get to presidents day. The SB-2000 is 499

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

prom candy posted:

... I'm already running my existing ones on their side and i think it will look weird.

I've done this myself and recently stopped. I just want to advise against it. If at all possible, use speakers in the orientation they are designed for. The drawback of lying them down is directionality. The wave guides and baffles on your speakers will spread sound a lot more sideways than vertically, by design. You're getting a very small sweet spot when they're sideways. (And conversely, your ceiling and floor are getting pretty decent sound levels.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 15, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I've done this myself and recently stopped. I just want to advise against it. If at all possible, use speakers in the orientation they are designed for. The drawback of lying them down is directionality. The wave guides and baffles on your speakers will spread sound a lot more sideways than vertically, by design. You're getting a very small sweet spot when they're sideways. (And conversely, your ceiling and floor are getting pretty decent sound levels.)

This is good advice in general, but coaxials work just as well on their side. That's one of their benefits: even horizontal and vertical radiation patterns.

Phone posted:

The BIC America F12 for 300 dollars.

Nearing 500 I would recommend the RSL Speedwoofer 10s

skipdogg posted:

I'm not sure what the go to is, but I saw on SlickDeals that SVS is doing an outlet store blowout and you can get a PB-1000 or SB-1000 for 399 and free shipping which is supposedly a good deal? There is speculation pricing might go a little lower the closer we get to presidents day. The SB-2000 is 499

The PB-1000 for 399 is a very good deal, provided you have the room for it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 15, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is good advice in general, but coaxials work just as well on their side. That's one of their benefits: even horizontal and vertical radiation patterns.

Hey, thanks for cluing me in. I wasn't familiar with the Q150s and didn't realize they were a coaxial design.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
OP, get your L and R out on stands and set them vertical, that way they don’t look weird with a horizontal center (it’s gonna be a horizontal box regardless of whether you do Q250c or Q150) and also you gain back some shelf space on your TV unit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

skipdogg posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The BIC America F12 for 300 dollars.

Nearing 500 I would recommend the RSL Speedwoofer 10s

The PB-1000 for 399 is a very good deal, provided you have the room for it.

Looks like a PB-1000 is going to be in the mail. Thanks!

As an aside, it looks like the PSW 505 been chronically unreliable and the voice coil will fail.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

OP, get your L and R out on stands and set them vertical, that way they don’t look weird with a horizontal center (it’s gonna be a horizontal box regardless of whether you do Q250c or Q150) and also you gain back some shelf space on your TV unit.

Good idea but if I had room on the left and right of my TV I'd have towers. There's only one reasonable way to set up the furniture in my living room and the result is the wall with the TV on it is very short. Someday I'll renovate the basement into a sweet rec room and the Q150s will retire to a sweet life of being desk speakers.

Accessories 4 less shipping to Canada costs a ton sadly. I got a good deal on my q150s from visions.ca but they don't sell singles.

Think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on the q250c. I'm worth it!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Well, I'll be without a sub for a while until I can afford it, but thanks to thread I went with a Denon S760H with a pair of KEF Q150s. Spent most of yesterday moving things in the room around, setting it all up, loving with HDMI ARC and CEC peculiarities, and trying to find the soundmode that worked best.

Then I watched Miami Vice :kiss:

https://twitter.com/filmdaze/status/1466554128717520904?lang=en

Thanks goons, I've got a few kinks to iron out but it's been real good so far. Baby's first AVR.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So I didn't break out the tape measure before I bought that subwoofer and I just realized it won't fit. I don't mean "it won't fit behind my furniture" or "it won't fit in a specific corner." I mean it won't fit in any reasonable place I can think of and also I will need to take the door off the hinges to get it in the room. :ohdear:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

KillHour posted:

So I didn't break out the tape measure before I bought that subwoofer and I just realized it won't fit. I don't mean "it won't fit behind my furniture" or "it won't fit in a specific corner." I mean it won't fit in any reasonable place I can think of and also I will need to take the door off the hinges to get it in the room. :ohdear:

This seems like a great x-post to the ridicule audiophiles thread.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Select your AVR as your default sound device on your PC, configure it for Stereo and set the speakers to "full range". The AVR will take that signal and process it properly sending the needed low frequencies to the sub at whatever your crossover point is set at.

I know this is an old comment but just wanted to say that this was the best option. Telling windows to do 5.1 caused some weird audio level issues with games and music. Listening to my old music library feels brand new, especially with the subwoofer doing something instead of nothing.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Phone posted:

How old was yours? My 505 died a couple weeks ago, purchased in 2015.
Tore it apart, figured out the amp died, likely one of the amp inductor coils as I didn't want to tear it apart fully to see exactly what. There were a could fried looking resistors, none of the capacitors were bulging or leaking, and nothing smelled like magic smoke. Amp would still make power, but only for 1/10th of a second at a time. Like the attack of a note would be perfect, but it wouldn't be able to sustain. Using a different amp, subwoofer driver itself tested just fine. Polk had used a BASH licensed amp until mid 2014 then ripped off the amp without licensing but keeping the design nearly identical. Was able to find the same BASH amp on Parts Express for $200. Hope I didn't make a mistake by attempting to replace the broken part instead of just hucking the whole thing. Where were you reading the coils died? All my reading showed the amp was the weak part lol

I went to a local stereo shop I've never been to to ask if they knew anywhere that might be interested in looking into my broken amp and fixing it up or replacing it, and dude proceeded to show me then try to sell me on a 20k JL audio Gotham V2. Like wtf I'm trying to fix a 8 year old $500 entry/mid subwoofer what could possibly indicate that I'm ready to dump a pretty nice used car amount of dollars on a subwoofer

intheflesh fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 19, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get the subwoofer you wont regret it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

intheflesh posted:

How old was yours? My 505 died a couple weeks ago, purchased in 2015.
Tore it apart, figured out the amp died, likely one of the amp inductor coils as I didn't want to tear it apart fully to see exactly what. There were a could fried looking resistors, none of the capacitors were bulging or leaking, and nothing smelled like magic smoke. Amp would still make power, but only for 1/10th of a second at a time. Like the attack of a note would be perfect, but it wouldn't be able to sustain. Using a different amp, subwoofer driver itself tested just fine. Polk had used a BASH licensed amp until mid 2014 then ripped off the amp without licensing but keeping the design nearly identical. Was able to find the same BASH amp on Parts Express for $200. Hope I didn't make a mistake by attempting to replace the broken part instead of just hucking the whole thing. Where were you reading the coils died? All my reading showed the amp was the weak part lol

I went to a local stereo shop I've never been to to ask if they knew anywhere that might be interested in looking into my broken amp and fixing it up or replacing it, and dude proceeded to show me then try to sell me on a 20k JL audio Gotham V2. Like wtf I'm trying to fix a 8 year old $500 entry/mid subwoofer what could possibly indicate that I'm ready to dump a pretty nice used car amount of dollars on a subwoofer

Just buy a cheap Chinese mono channel sub amp off Amazon in a case like this, its way cheaper and like. It's a sub. There's even reviews of people specifically with Polk 505's for this one specifically
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Full-Frequency-Switchable-Fosi-M02/dp/B07L4VMCRD/

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KillHour posted:

I'm very curious what speakers you have that are expected to keep up with this shipping container full of bass.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It turns out the Amazon dimensions were the package dimensions, and it just barely fit exactly where I wanted to put it! :toot:

Out of sight, out of mind.

DoesNotCompute posted:

I'm very curious what speakers you have that are expected to keep up with this shipping container full of bass.

The main speakers in my theater room are Aperion Intimus 5T's. They don't have to be super loud because the point of having many different subs is to first, have as even bass response as possible and second, emulate a live event, which is not tuned flat at all. The SVS subs do a great job of hitting the very low room shaking notes, but just don't have the air movement to hit you in the chest in the ~50-120hz range. If you played audible frequencies anywhere near the volume this sub is capable of, you would be in immediate pain and go deaf very quickly.

Being able to turn up the subs to 11 is nice, but running things near their max volume tends to sound like crap so it's good to have a lot of overhead. It still doesn't sound nearly as tight as the SVS's and has a lot of port noise (duh), so it's helpful that I bought that ridiculous dbx system and can press a single button to mute it. It's really crazy that I have a toggle switch to go between "studio" and "concert" so easily. I need to break out the measurement microphone and do a proper setup, but even with some baseline tuning by ear, the whole setup is fantastic. I've long used the Justice Civilization music video as my benchmark for home audio systems, so I'm very familiar with it, but it literally gave me goosebumps to watch it with all the subs turned up.

Also, if I ever did want to use it for its intended purpose, I have a 15" Mackie SRM V-Class that has a built in digital mixer and crossover. They'd probably make an amazing pair at an outdoor party.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
poo poo Harry Potter is gonna be bangin

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

After letting it stretch its legs tonight, I can safely say I recommend concert ear plugs if you come over to hear it.

Also, certain frequencies make the TV panel vibrate and I have no idea what to do about that besides cutting that frequency but it doesn't sound great.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hang the tv from the ceiling using springs :sun:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wouldn't that just make it a giant reverb plate? Not that I'm mad at it.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

KillHour posted:

Wouldn't that just make it a giant reverb plate? Not that I'm mad at it.

Visual reverb.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Visual reverb.

The vibration isn't visible to the eye. You can just hear it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Welp 2 months ago I wandered into this thread asking for advice on Soundbars since I was done with loving around with home theatre equipment and since that time I've bought a pair of Q150s, a Q250c, and a Denon S660H for a total spend of almost $2k CAD. Thread delivers. And I still need a new subwoofer and maybe some surrounds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

prom candy posted:

Welp 2 months ago I wandered into this thread asking for advice on Soundbars since I was done with loving around with home theatre equipment and since that time I've bought a pair of Q150s, a Q250c, and a Denon S660H for a total spend of almost $2k CAD. Thread delivers. And I still need a new subwoofer and maybe some surrounds.

another pair of Q150s, looks like

or you get Q350s for the front and demote your current fronts to surround duty

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

another pair of Q150s, looks like

or you get Q350s for the front and demote your current fronts to surround duty

Gonna have to renovate or move first. I think I'll probably run 3.1 until then.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I finally picked up the .1 to complete my small 3.1 setup in my bedroom! Just wanted to clarify a few things with you guys:

1. My A/V receiver has one pre-out jack to the subwoofer but the subwoofer has a left and right channel RCA input. Can I use any RCA cable and can I just plug it into either channel on the subwoofer?

2. The subwoofer has a crossover dial, but my understanding is that I should set the dial all the way up and use the crossover settings in my A/V receiver to let it control it, correct?

3. My left and right speakers have a low frequency response of 62hz, with my center channel being 89hz. Should I set the crossover at 60hz, 80hz, or 90hz?

4. The subwoofer has a phase switch and the receiver also has a phase setting. I'm not sure how these should be set.

Thanks in advance!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I finally picked up the .1 to complete my small 3.1 setup in my bedroom! Just wanted to clarify a few things with you guys:

1. My A/V receiver has one pre-out jack to the subwoofer but the subwoofer has a left and right channel RCA input. Can I use any RCA cable and can I just plug it into either channel on the subwoofer?

2. The subwoofer has a crossover dial, but my understanding is that I should set the dial all the way up and use the crossover settings in my A/V receiver to let it control it, correct?

3. My left and right speakers have a low frequency response of 62hz, with my center channel being 89hz. Should I set the crossover at 60hz, 80hz, or 90hz?

4. The subwoofer has a phase switch and the receiver also has a phase setting. I'm not sure how these should be set.

Thanks in advance!

1. Read the sub's manual, it may tell you which one to use. But you're safe to just choose one or the other for now

2. Turn the sub dial all the way up, and let the Receiver do the crossover

3. I would set it at 90hz, personally, to have the sub prop up the low end some more, although 80hz is considered the "THX Standard" or something like that

4. Keep both phase settings at the Normal setting, and only adjust the one in the receiver. If the receiver already has speaker distance delay settings, I wouldn't touch it all. If it doesn't let you set a delay, and your subwoofer is in-line/ near the speakers, leave it at normal. If your subwoofer is across the room from the speakers(ie. Near you) and/or is facing the speakers, then you should turn it on and try it A/B while a bass heavy song is playing. The purpose of the switch is to help sync up the in/out movement of the sub with the in/out movement of the speaker woofers.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I have outdoor speakers on my house that I would like to be able to stream music to from my google home stuff. I currently have a chromecast plugged unto my 5.1 receiver and the outdoor speakers set up on the B channel, but something that doesn't require changing inputs and outputs would be preferable. Any products sub 150 that handle this kind of thing?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mederlock posted:

1. Read the sub's manual, it may tell you which one to use. But you're safe to just choose one or the other for now

2. Turn the sub dial all the way up, and let the Receiver do the crossover

3. I would set it at 90hz, personally, to have the sub prop up the low end some more, although 80hz is considered the "THX Standard" or something like that

4. Keep both phase settings at the Normal setting, and only adjust the one in the receiver. If the receiver already has speaker distance delay settings, I wouldn't touch it all. If it doesn't let you set a delay, and your subwoofer is in-line/ near the speakers, leave it at normal. If your subwoofer is across the room from the speakers(ie. Near you) and/or is facing the speakers, then you should turn it on and try it A/B while a bass heavy song is playing. The purpose of the switch is to help sync up the in/out movement of the sub with the in/out movement of the speaker woofers.

Thanks!

So if both the receiver and the subwoofer have a phase toggle, does that mean:

Receiver + subwoofer set at normal = normal output (aka most likely what I want)
Receiver at normal; subwoofer at inverse = inverse output
Receiver at inverse; subwoofer at normal = inverse output
Receiver at inverse; subwoofer at inverse = converts back to normal output?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Thanks!

So if both the receiver and the subwoofer have a phase toggle, does that mean:

Receiver + subwoofer set at normal = normal output (aka most likely what I want)
Receiver at normal; subwoofer at inverse = inverse output
Receiver at inverse; subwoofer at normal = inverse output
Receiver at inverse; subwoofer at inverse = converts back to normal output?

Essentially, yes. Although inverse on both may cause weirdness that I haven't personally experienced or tried.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dietrich posted:

I have outdoor speakers on my house that I would like to be able to stream music to from my google home stuff. I currently have a chromecast plugged unto my 5.1 receiver and the outdoor speakers set up on the B channel, but something that doesn't require changing inputs and outputs would be preferable. Any products sub 150 that handle this kind of thing?

Wiim Mini streamer with a Fosi Audio or Douk or etc. amplifier should fit the bill nicely.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

New record :toot:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Mederlock posted:

Wiim Mini streamer with a Fosi Audio or Douk or etc. amplifier should fit the bill nicely.

Thank you for the recommendation. It is wild to me that there isn't a cheaper streamer option! A google nest mini is like $29 and has everything I want but the audio out. But the Wiim looks pretty nice.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's pretty unfortunate but it is what it is. They're competing in a field where Sonos Port/Connect is the main player, which are/were $550 units for essentially the same functionality as the Wiim Mini. In that context it is a good deal, but yeah my intuition is that it's still waaaay more expensive than it really ought to be. A lot of people used to and, well I'm sure still do, make streamers out of Raspberry Pi's, but :lmao: at the price of a Pi these days, since the COVID supply chain woes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, $90 for a Wiim isn’t bad, IMO, Chromecast stuff is only so cheap because Google is subsidizing the price counting on getting revenue out of selling ads and your usage data down the line.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've switched my streaming boxes to off lease mini computers. You can find a Optiplex 3050 or a thin client for $100 or less. I use Volumio but I'm sure there are other solutions out there. This about the same price of a raspberry pi once you factor in the price of a case, charger, and micro sd card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dumb post but I spent $10 on a box of assorted potentiometers from Amazon and 30 minutes later I had a working subwoofer again (guess it had been smashed up against a walk in storage and it kind of broke the volume pot somehow).

Having it back up to spec made me notice how much I missed it, even if it is a shifty KLH I got from Frys in like 2007.