Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Certain pigment batches can change their color too when mixed. Yarn people go nuts over batch numbers and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, by all means mix in white or black to adjust the tones for highlighting and shading but if you're doing a big batch or need a particularly shade I would look for the closest colour available to buy and adjust from there rather than working from first principles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's also easier to match later on, if you're getting a big army together. It seems like I can have a lot of rats on the team? Not sure what unit to buy later for the team...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm lazy so if I have to mix a non-highlight color more than once I'll just buy it. However sometimes I just like to try new things, be it paint brands or new lines or if I'm at a store and I see a new shiny color that catches my eye. I may be part crow.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I dunno if it's worth mentioning Instar here, who sell paints by the pigment. While "water+" may sound like it's taking the piss, apparently it can mimic how contrast and all the other one-slop-paint lines work.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

It's not so simple because mixing white and black into other colours changes the saturation as well.

Paint pigments don't actually combine like coloured light. You can't get certain shades just by doing kindergarten level paint mixing. A purple paint with a purple pigment will look different to one made of a combination of red and blue pigments. That's why pigments are expensive.

This is 100% true, that said, almost all professional artists tend towards, and usually encourage working from a limited palate. By working from a set number of colors and mixing the rest you can't achieve every possible result, but what you can mix will look way more cohesive.

Personally I tend to stick to a pretty limited palate, but if I'm going to use a color a ton I'll usually mix it first, make a swatch, and then find a paint that matches and buy that. That way I can get the convenience of buying the exact pigment I want, but because I could have mixed it (or something extremely close) it will still look like it belongs.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Had a great game of Epic yesterday. The game hinged on a crazy assault where my Warlord Titan was assaulted all at once by a gargant and mechanized ork mob with a battlefortress and stormboyz, while ork gunz provided supporting fire. We tied the first round and then I won the second round by a single point. The gargant rolled a 1 on each round's titan killer attack. I crippled the gargant, destroyed the battlefortress and shattered the mob, at the total cost of only 4 damage to the Warlord.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I've just gone a bit mad and bought Man O War and Mighty Empires off ebay. I lived and breathed Fantasy when Man O War was released, but never played it or owned a copy, always liked the look of it though, and you didn't need 8 billion models for a game.

Mighty Empires was a bit before my time and I'm not entirely certain what it's all about, but will honestly just have fun opening the box and reading the rules I reckon.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

I just got pictures of the first casts of my (probably ill-informed vanity) project of sculpting an entire goblin Blood Bowl team. So looking forward to getting to paint these nerds up, as well as probably selling some sets to cover my costs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How's this for a color scheme?

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Hedningen posted:

I just got pictures of the first casts of my (probably ill-informed vanity) project of sculpting an entire goblin Blood Bowl team. So looking forward to getting to paint these nerds up, as well as probably selling some sets to cover my costs.

Gobbos gobbs Hobbs, is buy me some goblins

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Beautiful, I never had the urge to play blood bowl but the models are great. Tbf Ive probably never seen it played so ignorance more than anything

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

stackofflapjacks posted:

Gobbos gobbs Hobbs, is buy me some goblins

Beautiful, I never had the urge to play blood bowl but the models are great. Tbf Ive probably never seen it played so ignorance more than anything
BB can be extremely fun, but the dice can also be extremely punishing. For anyone who wants to play the game and doesn't have a local community, I would highly recommend Blood Bowl II on Steam. You can get it very cheaply with the DLC on sale regularly.

Just bear in mind that the tutorial introduces rules in a staggered fashion, so, for example, you don't play with tackle zones for like the first half dozen games, then all of a sudden you've got them and you have a dice roll to get out of them. It's a little wonky, but once you start playing proper, it's a decent enough port.

"Cum get frustrated at Nuffle, M'Lord!"

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The 2 most common sayings about Blood Bowl around here are "Their dice beat my dice" and "I was having a good game and then Blood Bowl stuff happened." That said, if you either make every attempt to mitigate the randomness (ie, actively try to roll dice as little as possible or time dice rolls after important things) OR to just embrace the chaos that is BB, you'll probably have a great time with it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The #1 reason i see new people at my shop get frustrated with BB is that they wanna do the ALL OR NOTHING plays before they get all their dudes up off the ground.

I think Goonhamner even had a list of all the things you should do before you even THINK about throwing a 3 dice advantage block.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hedningen posted:

Is this a custom set? How much did they run you?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

This is 100% true, that said, almost all professional artists tend towards, and usually encourage working from a limited palate. By working from a set number of colors and mixing the rest you can't achieve every possible result, but what you can mix will look way more cohesive.

Oh I agree with this sentiment in general as well. I don't particularly like the trend of using multiple different colours as highlights/shades since the pigments are different and it can look disjointed. Better to select your base colour and mix the colour changes from there.

By all means take the premade purple as the base colour and add red/blue/black/white to adjust it to taste on the miniature. It makes less sense to use purple#1 as a base, purple#2 to highlight and purple#3 to shade.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Professor Shark posted:

Is this a custom set? How much did they run you?

Long hours of sculpting, then $240 for the mold mastering and about $20 in metal and labor for each full team that gets cast up. For my first generic run to see if people like them, I’m charging $60 so that I can pay off molding and casting costs and get a professional painter to do my box art.

If I end up running these as a Kickstarter, much more expensive because each subset will need a production mold. Likely gonna be in sets of four, so that’s at least 5 molds, plus labor. And all these costs are counting my sculpting time as free.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yo that's hardcore. Can't wait to see them painted. Kudos to you.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There is a 3D modeler making an STL I want to use for Warmaster, but its on an 80mm base. The model is of a leader mounted on a flying monster. Is that base going to be a problem for Warmaster? I know Leaders are usually on 25mm rounds but I am not sure about monsters.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The base size for a hero/general is irrelevant and you just measure to the center of the model.

Edit: although from memory the dragon mounted ones had a normal base aligned like cavalry.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 9, 2023

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like this a lot! It’ll make a nice change from a lot of the dour, dirty schemes I see on rats. Do share the whole team when they’re done!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

There is a 3D modeler making an STL I want to use for Warmaster, but its on an 80mm base. The model is of a leader mounted on a flying monster. Is that base going to be a problem for Warmaster? I know Leaders are usually on 25mm rounds but I am not sure about monsters.

dishwasherlove posted:

The base size for a hero/general is irrelevant and you just measure to the center of the model.

Edit: although from memory the dragon mounted ones had a normal base aligned like cavalry.

Yeah, usually the largest unit in the game still fits on a standard base (40mm x 20mm). There are a couple exceptions that are on two side by side (40mm x 40mm) but that's about as big as it gets.

80mm would be kind of large - it's not game breaking, as the leaders are more placeholders than anything else, but you might find it difficult to position a model that big near a scrum of units.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Somebody sell me your Gorkamorka rulebooks

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Beerdeer posted:

Somebody sell me your Gorkamorka rulebooks

I just printed one back when they offered the files for free on GWs site. Thanks college free prints at the library!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I just printed one back when they offered the files for free on GWs site. Thanks college free prints at the library!

Somebody photocopy their Gorkamorka rules and mail them to me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

Somebody photocopy their Gorkamorka rules and mail them to me.

Just search Google. They are readily available as PDFs.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I'd only ever seen those PDFs, so I was very surprised to see a printed rulebook and discover the big extra coloured sections and the Angelis survey reports at the end. I guess GW didn't bother scanning those, or they were kept as different manuscripts.

The Battlefleet Gothic rulebook also lost its coloured inserts, but those were just guidelines on painting and modelling.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Loxbourne posted:

I'd only ever seen those PDFs, so I was very surprised to see a printed rulebook and discover the big extra coloured sections and the Angelis survey reports at the end. I guess GW didn't bother scanning those, or they were kept as different manuscripts.

The Battlefleet Gothic rulebook also lost its coloured inserts, but those were just guidelines on painting and modelling.

They probably did it to reduce file weight, as download speeds weren't what they are now.

GW should be putting this kind of thing (full versions) in the Warhammer Vault, but I'm sure they don't want to deal with 1) possibly losing money if they do a reprint/reboot; and 2) nerds crying about how they can't get the Turn Gubbinz or fort anymore and how GAME$ WORK$HOP IS RIPPING ME OFF YET AGAIN!!!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Loxbourne posted:

Those were new enough to be made in Quark and had digital files from the start, but the color sections were usually at least their own CD, if not more. Even the b/w sections were usually like 2-3 CDs with all the resource files and whatnot. Considering that they were just slammed together and not a sale item, getting the color section cd out and recombining the PDFs into one file sounds like :effort:

At this point, I wonder if those CDs are even still readable and who knows if anyone knows how to run the tape system (can't imagine how well those have been taken care of).

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Maybe folks in here can help me, no one weighed in over at the 40k thread. Has anyone here tried playing 40k with epic scaled minis? I haven't played 40k since 3rd edition, so I'm really not sure if I could just convert inches to cm and call it a day? I'm moving somewhere where there is likely to be very very few people playing epic, and I'd like to continue wargaming. I however have no desire to buy a 40k army, nor do I want to build a tables worth of 40k terrain. I'm going to try introducing people to epic (I have about 5 complete armies, plus several more in the works), but I imagine I'd have more luck getting some games in if I met people half-way and played 40k with them using loose 6mm minis.

If anyone has done this please let me know if it works well, or if there are some pitfalls I'll need to avoid. Moving loose 6mm guys around seems like a big hassle, I imagine I could use some kind of movement tray though. If I recall blast templates and guess weapons are out of 40k, so unit spacing might not be a big deal?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Virtual Russian posted:

Moving loose 6mm guys around seems like a big hassle, I imagine I could use some kind of movement tray though.

Absolutely. 10mm is doable but a little uncomfortable. 6mm would be futile I think. That said, I did see someone online with a 6mm kill team setup. You had to play it with a compass :v:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I have tons, maybe over a thousand in my grey pile, of unbased 6mm guys, plus there just isn't a lot of 10mm proxies for warhammmer 40k or epic. I imagine I'll need to weight their base a bit to prevent tipping.

Maybe I'll just have to do this and document my process? Google isn't really returning anything but dead links or really old info.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 11, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I imagine that the new Apocalypse rules are fantastic for exactly this. The problem is that they're a hundred dollar OOP box set.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You will sneeze once and send a dozen tiny mans fluttering across the landscape, lol. 6mm works because you can base whole squads on one base to get a reasonable-sized game token. I think you could play 40k at that scale if you modified the 40k rules to force all squads to maintain close squad formation or something, and then you'd also need to I guess magnetize your bases so you can remove individual models as casualties? Or use counters or something?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Virtual Russian posted:

I have tons, maybe over a thousand in my grey pile, of unbased 6mm guys, plus there just isn't a lot of 10mm proxies for warhammmer 40k or epic. I imagine I'll need to weight their base a bit to prevent tipping.

Maybe I'll just have to do this and document my process? Google isn't really returning anything but dead links or really old info.

weights will help a ton. i might be able to help you. i designed some 10mm round bases that accept a washer: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5014713
here's a link to the washers that fit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5ZU7Q/

i have a few 6mm tau soldiers from wake's emporium. they actually look pretty decent in the 10mm base

e: you will still definitely want movement trays for the amount of minis you have to field

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 11, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

You will sneeze once and send a dozen tiny mans fluttering across the landscape, lol. 6mm works because you can base whole squads on one base to get a reasonable-sized game token. I think you could play 40k at that scale if you modified the 40k rules to force all squads to maintain close squad formation or something, and then you'd also need to I guess magnetize your bases so you can remove individual models as casualties? Or use counters or something?

Yeah just glancing at the rules I would definitely need to tighten up coherency to use a tray, that isn't a bad compromise though I imagine.

Those washers + bases seem great, thanks.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

A magnetic rectangle would make a great tray.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is the old Axis & Allies approach of stacking chips under a model to represent a bunch of it and you add or remove chips as casualties. You'd have to abstract line of sight rules but you probably need to do that anyway.

You also cant physically pile minis onto vehicles at this scale, I dunno if that's still a thing in 40k.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nothing was quite so rewarding as correctly guessing the distance between your basilisk and a trukk heaped full of boyz.

I like the chips idea, but want to preserve as much of 40k as I could, otherwise it just makes sense to insist on playing epic with people, which I may also just do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Obviously you won't know until you get there, but try bringing up epic to the local folks? We've had a ton of people come out of the woodwork and join our group just from walking by when we're playing at the store. It's also a very good time for dead games, now that you can print a full army very inexpensively, so you don't have the barrier to entry of even a few years ago.