Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The report says extended range JDAM, so the brand new air-dropped toy-kits. From the shockwave, I'd guess they hit an ammo dump and triggered a secondary blast with the main ordnance.

/edit: come to think of it, i have no idea what size of Ukrainian ordnance the JDAM package is compatible with, soooo :shrug:

Still looks like an ammo dump to me

Would you not expect to see multiple/secondaries if it was a hit on an ammo dump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

I think south is likely. Just bottling Crimea to the point that Russia can sit there eating ferried MREs and not much else would be a huge result for the first part of a counter attack.

And I would imagine that the propaganda victory of splitting the line would be pretty good for Ukranian morale, and terrible for Russian. What about captured Russian troops, can they be shown on TV at all? I'm thinking of those famous videos of WW2 with US troops going east on the autobahn while surrendered Germans walk into captivity. Can that be shown these days?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The Geneva convention doesn't blanket ban any display of photos or video of prisoners or wars. It just states that they must be protected against, among other things, public curiosity.

I'm not a legal expert, but the general interpretation of it by organisations like the Red Cross seems to be that showing prisoners of war in media can be acceptable if there is a compelling public interest in doing so and it doesn't serve to humiliate the prisoners in question or jeopardize their safety. Merely documenting in visual media that a large number of prisoners of war were captured could well fall within that.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Also not an expert but:

Only grumbling I saw was about the interviews of captured Russian soldiers posted online. Might be that public curiosity thing being the bone of contention.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Video of Russian formations walking into captivity may be okay, but individual scrutiny in front of a camera which is then published would likely be less acceptable.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Would you not expect to see multiple/secondaries if it was a hit on an ammo dump?

You know where it is hitting and when, you might as well take a video of it.

Anecdote: Our training troops were invited to a show where tanks were shooting at targets in a quarry. At one point of the show "INCOMING" was yelled and we scrabled. As it turns out a head-sized rock landed within 5 meters from out positions.

So yes taking a video is what you would expect, but since this is army doing stuff it still isn't 100% safe even in the best conditions.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Looks like one big bomb to me too, not an ammo dump. If you look at USAAF bombing footage from WW2, those impacts from the 500-1000lb+ bombs they were dropping looked a lot the one in the video (except from 20,000' in the air.)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

mikerock posted:

Looks like one big bomb to me too, not an ammo dump. If you look at USAAF bombing footage from WW2, those impacts from the 500-1000lb+ bombs they were dropping looked a lot the one in the video (except from 20,000' in the air.)

Yea that was what I thought too.

Der Kyhe posted:

Anecdote: Our training troops were invited to a show where tanks were shooting at targets in a quarry. At one point of the show "INCOMING" was yelled and we scrabled. As it turns out a head-sized rock landed within 5 meters from out positions.

So yes taking a video is what you would expect, but since this is army doing stuff it still isn't 100% safe even in the best conditions.

huh?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Musk would absolutely be a failed FYAD poster. The "edgy" comedy and "ironic" racism is exactly what he now calls "free speech" as a white billionaire tech bro.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Musk would absolutely be a failed FYAD poster. The "edgy" comedy and "ironic" racism is exactly what he now calls "free speech" as a white billionaire tech bro.

Wrong thread?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

We detonated a cratering charge one time in training and it sent a chunk of mud the size of a bicycle about 10 meters behind our dugout, around 100m from the detonation itself.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 8, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Kchama posted:

Wrong thread?

Right sentiment though

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

Right sentiment though

I mean, he's got the spirit. A bit confused, but he's got the spirit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Don't watch through the camera, watch over the camera in case you need to get the gently caress out of the way. A lil piece of rock, debris, or shrapnel can and will gently caress your day up if you're not careful.

Note: applies more to training, demonstration, demolition and blasting than air strikes unless you're close enough you probably shouldn't be filming to begin with.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

psydude posted:

We detonated a cratering charge one time in training and it sent a chunk of mud the size of a bicycle

Americans will do ANYTHING to not use the met....

psydude posted:

about 10 meters behind our dugout, around 100m from the detonation itself.

....gently caress.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CainFortea posted:

Americans will do ANYTHING to not use the met....

....gently caress.

yeah he got you there

this is clearly the faster way to travel

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Arrath posted:

Don't watch through the camera, watch over the camera in case you need to get the gently caress out of the way. A lil piece of rock, debris, or shrapnel can and will gently caress your day up if you're not careful.

Note: applies more to training, demonstration, demolition and blasting than air strikes unless you're close enough you probably shouldn't be filming to begin with.

Lmao thanks but I think he quoted me by mistake is what I was getting at.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah he got you there

this is clearly the faster way to travel

Mid 90s DOS FPS games knew that rocket jumping was the future

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
One thousand millibicycles

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Soul Dentist posted:

One thousand millibicycles

Americans will do anything tp avoid learning metric

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Americans will do anything tp avoid learning metric

You will never take Rankine from me

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kchama posted:

Wrong thread?

Welp. Yup, was for current events thread but I went to bed. Let my shame stand as a monument for all eternity.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Is posting combat footage from bird's perspective ok? There's an interesting video of soldiers from the 24th mechanized assaulting a trench on foot.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
As long as it's a link and fair warning to content is given

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Men from the 24th mechanized attack a trench. :nms: Several enemies dropped on screen.

https://twitter.com/PaulJawin/status/1633440771398410241

Looks like there's a 11min version of this on yt, featuring what looks like a counterattack on the taken trench. Same warnings apply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ2W1jSU_lE

Any thoughts on the professionalism in this video?

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 8, 2023

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Power Khan posted:

Men from the 24th mechanized attack a trench. :nms: Several enemies dropped on screen.

Looks like there's a 11min version of this on yt, featuring what looks like a counterattack on the taken trench. Same warnings apply

In the past 12 months, the Ukrainian army has gotten more experience with conventional warfare against a peer than anyone on these forums has. We have a bunch of combat vets that can tell you all about how to conduct counter insurgency operations. We have some that have ~5 months of "near peer" experience against the Iraqi army during the invasion back in 2003. No one here has stood toe to toe and slogged it out against what the entire world would consider a superior army.

So we can sit back here and talk about tactics and doctrine for how to assault fortified positions (really it all boils down to establishing a base of fire to pin the enemy down with one element while the other element scoots around to shoot them) but at the end of the day, it looks like they captured the position with minimal losses.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hekk posted:

So we can sit back here and talk about tactics and doctrine for how to assault fortified positions (really it all boils down to establishing a base of fire to pin the enemy down with one element while the other element scoots around to shoot them) but at the end of the day, it looks like they captured the position with minimal losses.

I honestly would be interested in someone's take on how well this kind of assault matches up with US tactics and doctrine. This video looked particularly well executed, although possibly just because the Russians didn't have a lookout.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hekk posted:

In the past 12 months, the Ukrainian army has gotten more experience with conventional warfare against a peer than anyone on these forums has. We have a bunch of combat vets that can tell you all about how to conduct counter insurgency operations. We have some that have ~5 months of "near peer" experience against the Iraqi army during the invasion back in 2003. No one here has stood toe to toe and slogged it out against what the entire world would consider a superior army.

Yeah I suspect Ukraine will be a world leader in modern infantry tactics for a while. There's gonna be a lot of material coming out of this conflict where Ukraine will be held as the subject matter expert.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I suspect Ukraine will be a world leader in modern infantry tactics for a while. There's gonna be a lot of material coming out of this conflict where Ukraine will be held as the subject matter expert.

They've done quite a lot of innovation, especially when it comes to drone integration. We've had drones providing ISR for decades now, but using drones as very quick fire support by dropping grenades on positions ahead moments before you assault it is great. Not to mention reports of using drones to resupply or provide medical supplies to soldiers actively assaulting.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Power Khan posted:

That drone is a mobile and surreptitious 500ft high guard tower providing early warning for the whole area. :stare:

To my civilian eye the initial attack looked very smooth and professional.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
This is a detailed three-part series of articles on how things went down from the Danish perspective. The focus is on how ill-prepared Denmark's crisis management was. You'll have to translate it, but it's an interesting read.

https://www.zetland.dk/historie/sO0VrdNb-mo46mbZz-281a8
https://www.zetland.dk/historie/sO9aZd56-mo46mbZz-4933a
https://www.zetland.dk/historie/s8D3lK6d-mo46mbZz-f5c1c

quote:

On Monday morning – around eight hours after the explosion – a team of seismologists met in inner Copenhagen. It was a regular routine that they met every morning and looked at the graphs from the past 24 hours to see if anything startling had happened in the Danish underground. If the seismologists from the National Geological Surveys for Denmark and Greenland - usually known as GEUS - discovered data from the graph on Bornholm, they would have crucial knowledge about the explosion and the location of the leak, which the Norwegian Defense Forces currently lacked. But the researchers only looked at data up to 2 a.m. Monday. As mentioned, the explosion happened at 2.03 Danish time. In other words: If the explosion had happened just four minutes earlier, it would have appeared in the material the seismologists had in front of them. But the seismologists were evidently right this morning “ unfortunate”, as one employee later remarked. GEUS found nothing interesting in their graphs, and there was therefore naturally nothing to alert other authorities about.

quote:

The three-masted Norwegian school ship Christian Radich with large white sails was on his way from Oslo to Gotland and was heading directly for the new leaks. The mate now got a call over the radio. A ship in the distance reported that something out in the dark sea was standing upright. It was quite mysterious. The sea was bubbling or something reminiscent of it. Just over 20 minutes had passed since the latest explosions, and neither the Ministry of Defence, the Prime Minister's Office nor the training ship out on the Baltic Sea knew yet that another attack had taken place. Fridtjof Jungeling was sitting in his cabin this Monday evening, and the experienced 50-year-old captain actually had time off after setting the ship on the right course with the 28 maladjusted youngsters that the school system had abandoned. Now they were going on a four-week trip to teach the young men how to become real sailors. He was looking forward to the sailing trip.

It was then that the mate called his captain to the bridge. He had something Fridtjof Jungeling needed to see. They looked at the radar, which showed two strange spots that the ship was heading directly for. It was a type they had never seen before. They moved in a way that radar images usually don't. Something was completely wrong. The coxswain grabbed the helm and changed course drastically 45 degrees to port so that the school ship moved away from the pulsing spots. A strange smell now blew from the sea. Like rotten eggs or a camping kitchen with a gas burner.

quote:

Anders Puck Nielsen is a military analyst at the Center for Maritime Operations at the Norwegian Defense Academy. He says that the Nord Stream explosions have exposed a truth that many in the Armed Forces have thought about for a long time: that we are almost blind when it comes to the Baltic Sea.

" We have excellent surveillance in the Great Belt, but on the other hand there is almost free space in the Baltic Sea. So are we missing something? Yes, you can say that: the Danish defense is designed for peacetime here at home. It is one we send out into the world, but it is not built to defend our own territory,” he says.

Because even if it will be impossible to keep an eye on all the cables and submarine gas pipes in the Baltic Sea, there are possibilities: Submarines and corvettes that can patrol and sonar equipment that can monitor would make it significantly more difficult to carry out attacks.

In 2005, the Swedish Defense Forces' anti-submarine defense was closed down, so today we have no submarines. Once the Danish fleet consisted of 30 warships, today we have 15, and many of them can't really help if the waves get higher than a meter. For the investigation of the sabotage against the Nord Stream, the Danish defense had to hire a private company to investigate what had happened on the seabed.

quote:

Let's leave the crime scene and instead move to what we might call the forensics section of the article. Because how on earth do you manage to blow up a tonne-heavy gas pipe made of concrete and steel? Peter Hald, a chemist specializing in explosives at Aarhus University and a former officer at the Norwegian Army's Engineer Regiment, can enlighten us on that.

To him, there are three ways to accomplish such a mission. The first was actually already foreseen in 2007, when the Swedish Total Defense Research Institute wrote in a report that “ one diver will be enough to place a bomb”. It therefore only requires a boat, a diver, a small team of helpers and a decent amount of explosives. And that means the attack could have been made by a fairly small group.

The second scenario is that a ship from the surface could place the bomb using an underwater drone. This is actually how we ourselves like best to blow things up – such as old mines – on the seabed in Denmark, explains Peter Hald. Here, a boat can in principle send out a remote-controlled bomb several months or years in advance.

The third option requires that you have a submarine at your disposal. According to Peter Hald, it could very likely be used to place the bombs near the gas pipes via a torpedo tube. The submarine, he explains, is quite obvious, then " it has just been designed not to be seen" and can get very close to the gas pipelines. Denmark does not monitor the movements of submarines in the Baltic Sea.

quote:

While it seems contradictory that Russia would blow up its own gas pipeline, what about ... the country that Russia is trying to invade? Ukraine is far from the Baltic Sea, but one of the theories is that it was Ukrainian special forces who blew up the pipes. So that's theory number two: the Ukrainians did it.

Let me just be quite clear: It's not a theory you find many people talk about a lot. But it's out there. And the most important clue is a warning from the CIA, which was allegedly sent to European authorities in the summer of 2022. It has not been possible to get this information independently confirmed -  the CIA actually answers the phone when you call, but they do not say much. But the usually well-informed German TV program Tagesschau on ARD has described that the warning from the CIA to, among other things, German authorities was that Ukrainians were allegedly planning to gain access to a boat in Sweden from which they could attack the Nord Stream pipes. However, it is important to add that the CIA itself – according to the TV station – assessed the credibility of this information to be " low". And at the same time one must ask: If Ukraine was behind the attack, why did the explosions happen so close to Denmark? Why not somewhere closer to Russia?

On the day of the Nord Stream attack, something quite remarkable happened. Because after the first explosion close to Bornholm's coast, but still before anyone had found the crime scene, the Ukrainian intelligence service issued a rather wild message on Facebook . Here they wrote that, according to their information, Russia was planning a cyber attack against Ukraine and " critical infrastructure of Ukraine's allies". They added that the attacks would probably take place in the energy sector and that there could also be physical attacks. It was 10:55 a.m. By this time, it had been nine hours since the first pipe had exploded, and the next explosion occurred eight hours later. The warning therefore came almost exactly midway between the two explosions at a time when no media has described the gas leak. How did the Ukrainians know about this suspicion? And does that make the arrow point further towards them or Russia?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Regardless of the professionalism on the ground I got a lol from the CoD:MW overlay the guy who edited it used.

I wouldn't use that as a reason to watch that video though, it is at the end of the day still :nms: with a tw for real people doing things you see in movies.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ukrainian position gets almost overrun, but in a good way (safe to watch)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s udder chaos, better steer clear!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Icon Of Sin posted:

MOOO!!!! MOOO THIS MAN!!!!

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

It's all fun and games until you realize you're in the Diablo 2 Cow level.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

:golfclap:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
"butter" steer clear, surely.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

"butter" steer clear, surely.

One does well not to overuse a theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

One does well not to overuse a theme